Photo

Kobe takes note of ESPN predicting Lakers finishing 12th (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#121 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,007 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I don't care if we finish 12th or 6th next season, i prefer a lottery pick and look for the future.
We all love kobe, but we should start to think about the future of the franchise after he is gone. Right now it isn't bright, you all talk like if a big name will come here just for being a laker. Right now doesn't look that way
We shall see
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#122 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,572 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'd rather we place the lowest at these "so-called rankings" and surprise everybody at what we're actually capable of than place at the top of the list and tank, ala last season with Dwight. More motivation for us to prove them we can win, even with a "mediocre" roster.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#123 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:11 PM

We're a team that is consistently ranked lower than we should be, but people will always watch out for us from the corner of their eyes. What other teams don't have that we have is the "what if?" element. 

• 39,226 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:37 PM

I must confess I had a bad dream last night. I was watching a Laker game already from this upcoming season and Wesley Johnson was doing completely nothing out there. It was pretty depressing. Really hope that's not a sign of things to come.

yo.

#125 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Since when?  Last time we won the championship we were ranked like #1 or #2 in the NBA.  Every year we've lost the predictions have been close to right.  Were we rated improperly when we lost in 10-11? What about the Mike Brown year 11-12?

We're a team that is consistently ranked lower than we should be, but people will always watch out for us from the corner of their eyes. What other teams don't have that we have is the "what if?" element. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#126 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Last year: ESPN Ranked the Lakers 3rd overall...we finished with like the 13th best record I believe

2011-12: We were ranked 6th to start the season.  Blown out in the 2nd round.  So that was about right.

10-11: We were ranked 2nd and got once again blown out in the 2nd round.

09-10: Ranked 1st in preseason...beat Boston in a toss up series.  They were ranked #3.

08-09: Ranked 2nd to Boston's 1st.  We won the title vs Orlando.

ESPN has been pretty accurate on the Lakers.  Everyone that isn't giving them the nod to win it all isn't a hater. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#127 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Since when?  Last time we won the championship we were ranked like #1 or #2 in the NBA.  Every year we've lost the predictions have been close to right.  Were we rated improperly when we lost in 10-11? What about the Mike Brown year 11-12?

"Consistently" covers certain inaccuracies and if I felt we were ranked lower than we ought to be, how would anyone argue against my initial perception of the team? And I never claimed that anybody was a hater for ranking us lower. I'm saying we've got enough surprise elements to keep anybody on their toes. 

#128 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:30 PM

When were we ranked lower than we ought to be?  Stop dodging the question with fluff.  I just posted the last 5 years or so that reigned true. 

"Consistently" covers certain inaccuracies and if I felt we were ranked lower than we ought to be, how would anyone argue against my initial perception of the team? And I never claimed that anybody was a hater for ranking us lower. I'm saying we've got enough surprise elements to keep anybody on their toes. 

#129 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,759 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Last year: ESPN Ranked the Lakers 3rd overall...we finished with like the 13th best record I believe

2011-12: We were ranked 6th to start the season.  Blown out in the 2nd round.  So that was about right.

10-11: We were ranked 2nd and got once again blown out in the 2nd round.

09-10: Ranked 1st in preseason...beat Boston in a toss up series.  They were ranked #3.

08-09: Ranked 2nd to Boston's 1st.  We won the title vs Orlando.

ESPN has been pretty accurate on the Lakers.  Everyone that isn't giving them the nod to win it all isn't a hater. 

ESPN ranked Kobe the 7th best player in the league.   Edit: 7th.

Edited by Majesty, August 15, 2013 - 03:08 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#130 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:45 PM

You a cop? How am I dodging your question by saying that I felt we were ranked lower than we should be? Because you posted numbers that were fairly accurate, all of a sudden, my expectations for the team should've been rectified retroactively for each year? 

When were we ranked lower than we ought to be?  Stop dodging the question with fluff.  I just posted the last 5 years or so that reigned true. 

#131 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,002 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:46 PM

I don't care if we finish 12th or 6th next season, i prefer a lottery pick and look for the future.
We all love kobe, but we should start to think about the future of the franchise after he is gone. Right now it isn't bright, you all talk like if a big name will come here just for being a laker. Right now doesn't look that way
We shall see

If we legitimately suck then we'll get a lotto pick. You don't suck ON PURPOSE...that's bush league.

Any "heartaches" we have in the near future we'll be at the hands of our own ill-advised decisions (i.e. Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni, Pau Gasol) and we're just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it.  

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#132 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:53 PM

The statement you made is that the Lakers are consistently underrated than they should be.  The facts show that wasnt the case with 3 of those with us being rated 1st in one year, 2nd in 2 others and 3rd in another.  Unless there is some magical ranking above #1 just admit you were wrong in your assessment.  The Lakers are rarely underrated, if anything we have been overrated the past 2-3 years. 

You a cop? How am I dodging your question by saying that I felt we were ranked lower than we should be? Because you posted numbers that were fairly accurate, all of a sudden, my expectations for the team should've been rectified retroactively for each year? 

#133 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:55 PM

When? Because IIRC he was rated 7th last year coming off an awful shooting year and this year is an unknown due to an achilles...please post where he was ranked 18th

ESPN ranked Kobe the 18th best player in the league. 

#134 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:05 PM

What? Am I suppose to concede to your four year sample when we were coming off on championship runs? How about you admit that you give skewed stats to prove your point? And if I feel the Lakers are underrated, (which is an understandably subjective thing) how can you convince anyone otherwise? 

The statement you made is that the Lakers are consistently underrated than they should be.  The facts show that wasnt the case with 3 of those with us being rated 1st in one year, 2nd in 2 others and 3rd in another.  Unless there is some magical ranking above #1 just admit you were wrong in your assessment.  The Lakers are rarely underrated, if anything we have been overrated the past 2-3 years. 

#135 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Because how can a team ranked 1-3 be underrated lmao.  Do you not see how asinine that sounds to say they are underrated but yet by every single sports outlet they were some kind of favorite to win it all or at least go to the Finals?  You hate being wrong don't you?

What? Am I suppose to concede to your four year sample when we were coming off on championship runs? How about you admit that you give skewed stats to prove your point? And if I feel the Lakers are underrated, (which is an understandably subjective thing) how can you convince anyone otherwise? 

#136 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,759 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:07 PM

We were ranked 2nd in 2010-2011 because we were coming off a championship

They weren't gonna rank us anywhere else.  That had nothing to do with "intuition"

Where did they have Dallas ranked? 

They ranked us 3rd overall last year because of the lineup we had on paper.

ESPN didn't predict right because of intuition, they ranked us where they ranked us because they felt we were either a championship contender coming off a championship or they saw us as a middle of the pack team.

The fact they'd rank us 12th and are acting like Ibaka Westbrook and Durant are gonna be the best without a bench.  Unless you're gonna overrate Lamb and Jackson.

They have the Rockets ranked 4th with no veteran, with no experience together, after losing Delfino(who was their 2nd best 3 point shooter) among other things.    They have MEMPHIS ahead of the Warriors who just got Igoudala to strengthen their team while Memphis got who? Mike Miller?

They have the Nuggets 7th after they've gotten significantly worse this off-season, lost Iggy, lost their coach, signed a brand new coach, brought in JJ Hickson, Gallo gonna be out for longer than expected apparently.

They have the timberwolves ranked 8th.... 

Yeah I have nothing to say to that.    Oh and they have the 8th seed in the WEST being 40-42...

They also have Dallas, Portland and the PELICANS ahead of the Lakers.... where only the Jazz, Kings and Suns have worse teams...  

Chalk that up with the idiocy of them ranking Kobe the 7th best player in the league. 

Edited by Majesty, August 15, 2013 - 03:08 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#137 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:09 PM

When? Because IIRC he was rated 7th last year coming off an awful shooting year and this year is an unknown due to an achilles...please post where he was ranked 18th

How is shooting 46 percent for a shooting guard considered "awful" when there were only two other shooting guards in the league with better percentage last year? Can you give me the post where you get your stats as well? 

#138 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:13 PM

None of that had anything to do with our argument.  He said that the Lakers are consistently underrated.  I posted rankings b/c his comment was in response to us being ranked 12th where ESPN rated us pretty much where we were if not overrated on some years. 

Please pay attn and stop trying to argue with me just to argue.  I don't debate with feelings dog.  You should know that already.  I posted the facts to show him that his comment was fantasy.  You stating that ESPN's opinion shouldnt be respected b/c of Kobe's ranking totally contradicts the fact they were right on others.  So should we scoff at the fact they rated us 1st one year?

We were ranked 2nd in 2010-2011 because we were coming off a championship

They weren't gonna rank us anywhere else.  That had nothing to do with "intuition"

Where did they have Dallas ranked? 

They ranked us 3rd overall last year because of the lineup we had on paper.

ESPN didn't predict right because of intuition, they ranked us where they ranked us because they felt we were either a championship contender coming off a championship or they saw us as a middle of the pack team.

The fact they'd rank us 12th and are acting like Ibaka Westbrook and Durant are gonna be the best without a bench.  Unless you're gonna overrate Lamb and Jackson.

They have the Rockets ranked 4th with no veteran, with no experience together, after losing Delfino(who was their 2nd best 3 point shooter) among other things.    They have MEMPHIS ahead of the Warriors who just got Igoudala to strengthen their team while Memphis got who? Mike Miller?

They have the Nuggets 7th after they've gotten significantly worse this off-season, lost Iggy, lost their coach, signed a brand new coach, brought in JJ Hickson, Gallo gonna be out for longer than expected apparently.

They have the timberwolves ranked 8th.... 

Yeah I have nothing to say to that.    Oh and they have the 8th seed in the WEST being 40-42...

They also have Dallas, Portland and the PELICANS ahead of the Lakers.... where only the Jazz, Kings and Suns have worse teams...  

Chalk that up with the idiocy of them ranking Kobe the 7th best player in the league. 

#139 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Because how can a team ranked 1-3 be underrated lmao.  Do you not see how asinine that sounds to say they are underrated but yet by every single sports outlet they were some kind of favorite to win it all or at least go to the Finals?  You hate being wrong don't you?

How asinine is it when clearly your last question pertains to yourself as much as me? 

#140 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,935 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Try to keep up dummy.  Kobe came off a 43% shooting year in 11-12...my god, do you guys even bother to look up numbers and facts before entering an debate?

How is shooting 46 percent for a shooting guard considered "awful" when there were only two other shooting guards in the league with better percentage last year? Can you give me the post where you get your stats as well? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users