Photo

Kobe takes note of ESPN predicting Lakers finishing 12th (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 01:32 PM

yo.

#102 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Best we could do is the 6th.. Behind LAC, HOU , OKC , SAS , GSW.

We're stil 2 months and a half away. You never know what might happen..

You forgot Memphis. That puts the Lakers' ceiling at the 7th seed.

Out of the non-locks, I think Denver and Dallas ultimately beat out the Lakers and others for the final 2 playoff spots. Dallas isn't that impressive on paper, but they were pretty close last season with Dirk missing a lot of time. They also have the best coach of all the teams fighting for one of those spots.

Posted Image

#103 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,311 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:48 PM

So WHEN the injuries start piling up due to an old core,  the excuses will be "but we were injured, otherwise we would have finished 8th".  We are an old team, our best players are old, old guys get hurt, old hurt guys dont play much, forcing bench players to play more.  Bench players lose alot of games when they play too much.  

The FO chose to stay with the old core, so be it.  Let's not whine about it when the injuries start, and act like they are oh so unpredictable, as as was the theme around here last year.

Debbie Downer

#104 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,012 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:56 PM

The front office put two players deep at each position that theree's an older player so that the old core plays less minutes. No credit given of course.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#105 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,311 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 03:21 PM

^Credit for signing mostly journeymen, many of which had no other place to go in the league?  Credit for frittering away draft picks on ancient players and marginal starters to give Kobe "one more shot"?  Credit for hiring a coach that had been laughed out of the league? Credit for not trading away talent when it was still marketable and would have gotten us something?  

Majesty, the body of work builds up, and the results are coming in.  Based upon the "new additions" stats, I have little faith that they will elevate the team to a competitive place, much less a championship.  But yet I should ignore the body of work, and instead applaud the FO for such "shrewd" signings because they had limited options?  Who put us in the position of having limited options in the first place? How about some accountability for the results instead of "credit" for wishful thinking?

Debbie Downer

#106 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,012 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 03:35 PM

^Credit for signing mostly journeymen, many of which had no other place to go in the league?  Credit for frittering away draft picks on ancient players and marginal starters to give Kobe "one more shot"?  Credit for hiring a coach that had been laughed out of the league? Credit for not trading away talent when it was still marketable and would have gotten us something?  

yeah signing people you probably had no clue we'd be able to sign nor thought we'd be able to.

Signing Young, signing Johnson, signing Farmar, signing Kaman are all things no one expected us to do armed with only the mMLE and infinite vets mins at our disposal.

They  are three players deep at point guard(with one being young and able to push tempo), and they are three players deep at shooting guard. 

This will spell Kobe and Nash's minutes which is the point and something we were all striving for, they also signed Kaman to backup Gasol and Kaman isn't a journeyman either, and he is actually a better mid range shooter.   We got him for a bargain, just as we got Young, Johnson and Farmar for a bargain.

Let freaking go of the fact that D'antoni is our coach and life becomes easier.  And they signed Rambis for defensive assistant, someone people were clamoring for to be on the staff last year.

But since you're so "critical" of the Lakers off-season moves why don't you tell me who you would have gone out and signed in the realm of possibility considering our financial situation that would have done any better.

Give me your 4 guys you'd have signed that would have been better than Young, Johnson, Farmar and Kaman armed with only the MMLE and the vets minimum.  Since you're being so critical and refuse to give them credit for this off-season obviously you think that you could have done better so let's hear it.  Who are the 4 guys you would have brought in with the mMLE and unlimited vets minimum?

Show us why you're a better GM and why the Lakers front office should be criticized for having one of the best responses in an off-season where people thought we were gone in the water. I'd love to hear it. :)

Edited by Majesty, August 14, 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#107 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,311 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Majesty,  it's not about "name 4 better guys".  It's about taking a different approach completely.

For several reasons, I don't believe that we have a realistic shot of landing a "franchise" type FA next off season and I don't think building off Kobe is a wise decision going forward. Working from those premises, I would have cleared the decks this off season- traded absolutely everything not nailed to the floor for young players and picks.  

I would have then approached Kobe and started negotiating his next deal, making it clear to him that the max the team is prepared to pay him is, say $8m.   If he balks, I would have asked him if he would prefer to be amnestied.  He gets the right to retire a Laker (at a reasonable salary) or chase a ring elsewhere.  If he does not get amnestied, I then amnesty the next biggest salary that I cannot trade.

Then I fire MDA and hire a real coach for the young guys.

Draft picks, young guys and a real coach.  Pull the plug and start over.  That's a long view solution.  Not popular with the "we're the Lakers we always play for titles" crowd, but a viable approach to a bad situation, and a common one taken by competent GMs in similar situations.   {Smiley Face}

Debbie Downer

#108 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,012 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Majesty,  it's not about "name 4 better guys".  It's about taking a different approach completely.

For several reasons, I don't believe that we have a realistic shot of landing a "franchise" type FA next off season and I don't think building off Kobe is a wise decision going forward. Working from those premises, I would have cleared the decks this off season- traded absolutely everything not nailed to the floor for young players and picks.  

I would have then approached Kobe and started negotiating his next deal, making it clear to him that the max the team is prepared to pay him is, say $8m.   If he balks, I would have asked him if he would prefer to be amnestied.  He gets the right to retire a Laker (at a reasonable salary) or chase a ring elsewhere.  If he does not get amnestied, I then amnesty the next biggest salary that I cannot trade.

Then I fire MDA and hire a real coach for the young guys.

Draft picks, young guys and a real coach.  Pull the plug and start over.  That's a long view solution.  Not popular with the "we're the Lakers we always play for titles" crowd, but a viable approach to a bad situation, and a common one taken by competent GMs in similar situations.   {Smiley Face}

So basically you have no answer aside from "tank or blow it up"?

And you can't amnesty Kobe as Metta already got amnestied.

Would you rather they amnesty Kobe and kept Metta? :smh:

And you don't "fire" MDA and then get a coach "for the young guys" that's just not how it works in real life. 

Who is available?   The former Grizzlies coach?  You think he wants to be a part of a rebuilding process?  Do you think Phil wants to coach here with no Kobe?  

So who would you get?

All the stuff you're saying works great in 2k13,  But in reality, it doesn't work that way. 

And the Lakers made better choices in the off-season than what you asked to do imo.

Edited by Majesty, August 14, 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#109 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,006 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:50 PM

You forgot Memphis. That puts the Lakers' ceiling at the 7th seed.

Out of the non-locks, I think Denver and Dallas ultimately beat out the Lakers and others for the final 2 playoff spots. Dallas isn't that impressive on paper, but they were pretty close last season with Dirk missing a lot of time. They also have the best coach of all the teams fighting for one of those spots.

Didnt forget them. I just dont think if we'll play good basketball, they'd top us.

When i said good basketball, means out of their mind.

We added good pieces, quality we didnt have last year. Even if we lost a defensive anchor, but defense is a team effort. With Rambis, hopefully we could overcome a good portion of what we faced and struggled last year when Howard was not in the floor.

Offensively, Nick Young is a major upgrade not only over Meeks but also the only player who can at least create his own shot other than Kobe.

Wesley can contribute as well, and if he could improve his game, he'd be an upgrade over MWP. Same goes to Kaman who can make his jumper besides Pau. Because of this, we could have space to operate in the post.

The problem that we have is attacking the rim. In our starting line-up Kobe can only do that, and with the injury i dont think we'll see him do that frequently, if he ever does that. We have Nick young though who can do it. Other than that, none.

So if we play out of our mind, we'd have boundaries such us the mentioned.

Thats why i believe this team can perform better than most of us is expecting. But all depends if Kobe can actually play with no limitations of the injury. Its a lot to ask, but i wont doubt it till i see it. 

#110 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 923 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:09 PM

What is the Lakers floor? I'd say 20-30 wins. We'd get Wiggins if that happened though since the lottery is sorta fized.

#111 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:42 PM

What is the Lakers floor? I'd say 20-30 wins. We'd get Wiggins if that happened though since the lottery is sorta fized.

I'm perfectly fine with that lol. I would gladly take Wiggins any day. But I know that it won't happen because the FO still thinks this team can compete. 

#112 WZRD

WZRD

The Underachiever

• 1,760 posts
  • Fan Since:mid 90's

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Man, i think we can make the eight - i expect us to go better than last season, call me crazy

zombie

#113 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,713 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:05 PM

the highest the lakers will go is 6th. I think that is realistic if the rotations are right.  Since our team is older... mins will have to be closely monitored... if that can happen and we get a healthy kobe... i don't see how we DON'T make the playoffs. Nash can still makes plays, and shoot great, Pau can be reenergized by being the center.. kaman is a good role player, can actually hit FT at a good rate.  Nick can get buckets.

ap1.png

#114 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,256 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:12 PM

We will be better this upcoming season.

Just emotionally, we will be better. For better or worse, the WHOLE team will try much much harder than it did last year. We will see less Kobe take overs and the whole team trying to do it's part. We have some exciting new pieces even if they don't seem much and this will give Laker fans something to cheer for.

I'm not saying we will go far in the playoffs, but I garuntee you we will do much better than the 12th seed.

#115 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,195 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:16 AM

I have faith in nick young

he will be unlike any laker since... mid 90s early kobe, vintage eddie

#116 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,775 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:27 AM

We lost Dwight, who didn't give a [expletive]! and now we bring players who do give a damn!

We going to surprise everyone! I Know!

#117 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,311 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 05:23 AM

So basically you have no answer aside from "tank or blow it up"?

And you can't amnesty Kobe as Metta already got amnestied.

Would you rather they amnesty Kobe and kept Metta? :smh:

And you don't "fire" MDA and then get a coach "for the young guys" that's just not how it works in real life. 

Who is available?   The former Grizzlies coach?  You think he wants to be a part of a rebuilding process?  Do you think Phil wants to coach here with no Kobe?  

So who would you get?

All the stuff you're saying works great in 2k13,  But in reality, it doesn't work that way. 

And the Lakers made better choices in the off-season than what you asked to do imo.

Majesty, I can hurl insults with you if you want, just thought I would try it the civil way, does not appear to work.  You need to get your nose out of Kobe's jock long enough to see the current roster and immediate future of this team for what it is. The longer a business hangs on to a dated business model, refuses to accept reality and make the necessary changes for the future, the worse it will be for that company when it finally does wake up.

See, it DOES work that way in the real world, that's EXACTLY what many real world businesses do and what other NBA teams in similar situations have done.  Who would coach the team ... gee ... let's think like Boston, Orlando and Pilly ... who could we get?

The rest of your post is not worthy of a response.

Debbie Downer

#118 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Watch the Grizz and Nuggs slip. First of all, they are that market, and made no real improvements on the team.

Getting rid of Rudy didn't make them more likely to win a title. Zach is actually trending down. They paid tony Allen and Conley already so incentive has dropped, plus they have a rep. Now teams will respect that game more. They are a consistent playoff team, so I expect them in that 6th role

#119 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:18 AM

I know this. This season will be much more entertaining than last. Guys will just play basketball.

#120 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Majesty, I can hurl insults with you if you want, just thought I would try it the civil way, does not appear to work.  You need to get your nose out of Kobe's jock long enough to see the current roster and immediate future of this team for what it is. The longer a business hangs on to a dated business model, refuses to accept reality and make the necessary changes for the future, the worse it will be for that company when it finally does wake up.

See, it DOES work that way in the real world, that's EXACTLY what many real world businesses do and what other NBA teams in similar situations have done.  Who would coach the team ... gee ... let's think like Boston, Orlando and Pilly ... who could we get?

The rest of your post is not worthy of a response.

Preach brother!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users