Photo

Kobe takes note of ESPN predicting Lakers finishing 12th (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#61 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted July 15, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Lots of armchair GMs around here. I can't see the FO looking at this season as a two-way fork in the road. Which is the idea that some fans here are trying to push.

#62 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'd be surprised if they finished any higher than 7th.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#63 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:53 PM

"This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft," said a Western Conference GM, referring to the class headlined by LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. "There is a cluster of cornerstone, All-Star level players at the top. These are guys that if they were in this year's draft, they all would have gone at the top."

The leader of the class is Kansas' Andrew Wiggins, a spectacularly athletic small forward with a bagful of moves. Wiggins, said a Western Conference assistant GM, "isn't quite a LeBron talent, but he's right behind him."

All of this should make for an interesting second half of the season. Tanking doesn't work, of course. The Bobcats have been bad since, well, the franchise's inception and they have never landed the No. 1 pick. The Cavaliers had a 15.6 percent chance of winning the top pick this year, and they went home with it. Since the current lottery system was put in place in 1990, only three teams that finished with the worst record ended up with the top pick. But that won't stop nagging hamstring injuries from becoming chronic at the end of the season, won't stop the occasional star from being shut down. Tossing young players to the fire is a classic move by a team content to pile up the losses, which means youth will be served this season.

Just to build on what MDI said, we do not have to get Wiggins. Our roster is a huge defensive liability, lives and dies by the jump shot, and no one knows when will Kobe come back. What is the point of making the playoffs if we are not going to make noise? We cannot end up like the Mavs, who just have an aging Dirk and fillers because they keep on missing out on big-name free agents. Mavs have nothing to sell. We need someone to help us jump-start our rebuilding stage. 

Let our guys play ball. Let D'Antoni inflate their stats, then trade them for picks by the deadline. Everyone except Kobe is expandable. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#64 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:24 PM

A reminder: the team with the worst record is guaranteed no worse than the #4 pick.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#65 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,918 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:40 PM

with all the talent at the top, this draft has Many players who would be Number 1 picks in average to good drafts....

there are more then a few guys who could be franchise players

and the potential for a transcendent star...

I think there will be players taken in the mid to late first round, that would have been top 5-10 this year... And even number 1... Bennent was projected to slip to number 10 in some drafts.. but the 2013 draft was so weak, he went number 1... There is serious talent likely to come out next year...

Maybe wiggins or Parker decide to stay another year... who knows, but there will be serious talent

#66 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,918 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:43 PM

A reminder: the team with the worst record is guaranteed no worse than the #4 pick.

getting number 4 in this draft would be worth being the worst team in the league

#67 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Exactly. Wiggins, Parker, smart, and randle

Each guy has franchise potential

You are guaranteed one of those guys
Posted Image

#68 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,068 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Tank? No. Who's to stay one of these guys blows out their knee ? Sure it would be great to get a high pick but I don't think tanking should be an option

#69 Villane

Villane

Rookie

• 11 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 12:44 AM

Ok first off your acting like replacing dwight with kaman made us better. Thats a joke. Kaman is ok. He was a good sign for what we need in this REBUILDING YEAR. Dwight is so much better than him it ridiculous.

I don't know where you are getting this bad passing from. Dwight was great at handling double teams and passing out to the shooter. Why do you think when he was in orlando they went to the finals. Its because they just surrounded him with shooters for him to pass out too.  

No defense. Phil may have not preached defense but we had good defense. I guess you can't remember game 7 of the finals where we pretty much won the game because we shut the celtics down. Hell in both those championship seasons we were ranked 4th and 6th in the league so I have no idea where you are seeing we had bad defense.

Yea nash was injured and he will be again this season. The guy will always be injured. He's gonna be 40 years old by mid season. Also its not like were the same team. Literally half our team has new players and kobe will be out for the first 2 months so nash will still be playing with mostly new players. Pau,kobe,meeks,blake are the only players nash has played with who are still on this team. I dont count hill because he only player 29 games. 

Kobe is still human. I know he's got amazing work ethic and he will still be a good player on our team. He will not be what he was last year. This isn't some small broken leg or a ACL tear. This is by far one of the worst injuries you can have. The only reason he still can go on with his career is because modern medicine in amazing. 

2011 mavericks had a good coach, a healthy superstar player, a great defensive center in chandler at the time, great bench who included Jason terry.They had a great squad of players. Idk why everyone is comparing them to us. They were a good team. We are nothing like them.

This is a bad team. Its ok to have a bad season. People are in for a really long year. The best thing you can do is have realistic expectations. There is no logical reason to think this team would make even the playoffs.

And yes I am a fan. Im not a homer. I don't see any laker team and think we champions. Any season I see we won't win a ring is a failure because were are the lakers not the rockets or some other dumb franchise. This is not a championship team. Look at the past lakers teams to win it. This team is a joke compared to them. Accept were are in a rebuilding state and this season will more bearable. 

Not gonna go further into this, you have your opinion. And, watch how the season plays out.

#70 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Another positive from landing a draft pick in the top 5-6. Other teams would love to have them. I think one of these picks can fetch us an All star or borderline all star from a team thats simply stuck in the mud and not going anywhere & would love to get rid of his contract (Aldridge/POR), (Horford/ATL), (Jefferson/Bobcats), (Lawson/Nuggets), (Love/Wolves)

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#71 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Come on now even Lakers tanked you know the NBA gonna fix it for Cavs to get #1

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#72 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:13 AM

ESPN has us 12th

http://espn.go.com/n...-west-standings

https://twitter.com/...555749989203968

12th I see..

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#73 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,084 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:27 AM

most guys like to say they take things like this as motivation... Kobe literally does to an unhealthy level

ap1.png

#74 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,098 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:33 AM

yh1jf.gif

#75 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,778 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:44 AM

The mamba has its prey in sight.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#76 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,044 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:50 AM

12th I see..

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#77 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,340 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:53 AM

13th?

I hate rankings.

This one is almost as stupid as Dr. Doolittle's ESPN top 10 rankings at each position, that had Kemba Walker ahead of Tony Parker, Ginobili ahead of Kobe and Danny Granger coming off serious injury ahead of Paul George - just to name a few.

#78 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,470 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:20 AM

That was 81 pt Kobe over 6 years ago.  Kobe isn't that good anymore and can't play 41MPG to get this team to an 8th seed either

After I saw the whole 8 team in west I stop reading the rest. Seriously Kobe Bryant carried the Lakers gang with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown on his team entered to the playoffs and I don't see any reason why Lakers can't make it to the playoffs with Gasol and others.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#79 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,323 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:26 AM

9-12 sounds about right imho.

I mean just gasol and Nash alone should equal 30 wins at least. If KB joins them and is playing strong the way he was before the injury we may tip into the 40s.

#80 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,470 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:32 AM

I really don't understand the 2011 Mavs comparisons on this board.  Dirk had an elite playoff run and didn't have to overwork himself in the season and wasn't coming off an achilles rupture, Marion is still to this day better than any 3 or 4 we have on this team, 2011 Jet is better than any bench player we have, Kidd was Kidd and overall they were just a better built team with a real plan. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users