#101 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ty lawson is more efficient but will jack up shots too and go ice cold because he isnt taking it to the basket. Jennings would be a different player and not really relevant on the lakers where he cant jack shots. 

He's more efficient because he actually has a solid supporting cast and guys to rely upon.  And exactly "Jennings would be a different player and not really relevant" with guys like Kobe, Gasol, and possibly Nash on the team.  Isn't him not jacking up shots what we want???  

Edited by lakers1o1, July 15, 2013 - 11:54 AM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#102 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:58 AM

He wont live without that terrible shot selection he has! Neither can he defend anybody. I dont think he can defend Nash (which is terrible at this point)

#103 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:59 AM

#104 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,611 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:53 PM

usually can't stand this guy but darn if he doesn't hit it on the button with everything that's wrong with Jennings X_X

KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE LAKERS!!

Edited by Majesty, July 21, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#105 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:19 PM

usually can't stand this guy but darn if he doesn't hit it on the button with everything that's wrong with Jennings X_X

KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE LAKERS!!

Yeah he summed up perfectly why Jennings aint getting offers. I would rather have Sessions or Lowry than Jennings next year if Nash is waived.

#106 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,129 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 22, 2013 - 05:30 PM

The league has smartened up.  Monta was signed out of desperation.  It's ashame that some of our fan base thinks this guy is worth going after.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#107 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:13 PM

He is worth it for vet min LOL

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#108 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 22, 2013 - 10:28 PM

He's a less efficient version of Jeff Teague. As a mid-level guy, he's fine... but not more than that.

That being said, i still can't forget that one time when he dropped 55 - unfortunately he's been in decline ever since.

#109 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,611 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 10:43 PM

He's a less efficient version of Jeff Teague. As a mid-level guy, he's fine... but not more than that.

That being said, i still can't forget that one time when he dropped 55 - unfortunately he's been in decline ever since.

That's all he'll be known for just like Gaines will always be known for hitting that game winner that got him an NBA career and constant rehires.

#110 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:09 PM

But it still give you an idea of Jennigs' ceiling. Gaines hit a game winner - [expletive], i could probably have done that with a bit of luck - but getting 55 is something else.

I think, like many other NBA players, Jennings just needs to realize what he is and what he is not and then try to be the best he can be. Sounds corny, but it's true.  

It's the same with a guy like Monta Eliis; he not [expletive]ing Kobe Bryant, but he could probably be a better version of Jamal Crawford and win the 6th man of the year if he could accept that role. Jennings is neither Allen Iverson or CP3 (multiple all star), but maybe he could be Rod Strickland (never an all star, but a very solid two way player with a long nba career).

#111 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:15 PM

But it still give you an idea of Jennigs' ceiling. Gaines hit a game winner - [expletive], i could probably have done that with a bit of luck - but getting 55 is something else.

I think, like many other NBA players, Jennings just needs to realize what he is and what he is not and then try to be the best he can be. Sounds corny, but it's true.  

It's the same with a guy like Monta Eliis; he not [expletive]ing Kobe Bryant, but he could probably be a better version of Jamal Crawford and win the 6th man of the year if he could accept that role. Jennings is neither Allen Iverson or CP3 (multiple all star), but maybe he could be Rod Strickland (never an all star, but a very solid two way player with a long nba career).

That's why  it's important for players to understand what they are great at and focus on that during games... and improve their weaknesses in practice

ap1.png

#112 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,611 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:45 PM

That's why  it's important for players to understand what they are great at and focus on that during games... and improve their weaknesses in practice

Yep so the fact Jennings STILL has all these problems and had nerve to say he thinks he's a max contract worthy player is laughable, I'm pretty sure he's not working on these problems if he thinks he's max contract worthy.

#113 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 12:19 AM

If Jennings thinks he deserves a max deal, he’s delusional. I’d give him 8-10 million at the most and I’m not sure if he’s even worth that.

#114 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,143 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 01:43 AM

SMH @ Jennings-Gaines comparison. So disrespectful.

I think at this pace Jennings will sign the qualifying offer and try his chances next summer. I hope we can get him for cheap then, if Nash is going to be released.

#115 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,848 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 23, 2013 - 01:43 AM

the 4.5 million he is going to get... is still too much...

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 02:01 AM

SMH @ Jennings-Gaines comparison. So disrespectful.

I think at this pace Jennings will sign the qualifying offer and try his chances next summer. I hope we can get him for cheap then, if Nash is going to be released.

is it?

People hold onto a hope for Jennings because he scored 55 once.
People keep hiring Gaines cause of the game winner he hit hoping to recapture that magic.

The comparison is that both of these guys had a great performance or result in their careers that will stay with them the rest of their careers and why people constantly bring them in or have faith in them.

Brandon Jennings scored 55 as a rookie once.

People still talk about it to this day, despite the fact his game hasn't evolved a lick since then and he's one of the worst starting point guards in the league right now.

People still hold out the fact he could be "special" though it looks like he's gonna remain where he's at because according to him he thinks he's max contract worthy... So why work on his game if he already thinks that?

Brandon Jennings will still get jobs in this league because of that 55 point performance, but he's delusional if he thinks he's max contract worthy and he is also delusional if he thinks that if he DOESN'T work on his all around game that his ceiling is that of a glorified 6th man, and not a premiere starting point guard in the NBA that wants to be top in the league one day.

But no matter how far he declines or how many times he screws up or how often he shows that things aren't gonna change... people still bring up.. that 55 point game.  And that's what people that believe in him consistently have faith in.

He has potential and he has talent, but it's been evident before, you can have all the talent and potential in the world but if you don't have the right mentality about honing it and completing it, you go nowhere and are an inconsistent mess.

The moment he uttered the words "I'm a max contract player" with HIS output and stats.... I pretty much lost faith in the guy.  You'd think wallowing in mediocrity so long would maybe want to make him work harder, but it seemed at the time he was going for money and hoping to trick the Bucks into trying to sign him to a long term extention.

Turns out they won't, and they aren't.  So he's trying to get the heck out cause he knows when he's unrestricted chances are slim and none he gets signed anywhere but there for anymore money than THEY are willing to pay him because outside of Mark Cuban I can't see people overpaying for Jennings.   He just isn't worth it.  One 55 point performance every 3 years ain't gonna do it.   I wish him the best and hope he succeeds but he just seems to be in his own way.

anyone that has hope in Jennings I ask you, aside from that one 55 point performance..has he really shown you anything that would tell you that he'll be a top 10 point guard in this league one day?  

Has he showed you anything on the level of Kyrie, or John Wall, or Rondo, or Derrick Rose, or Russel Westbrook, or Tony Parker, or even Goran Dragic, heck Eric Bledsoe looks like he has more to offer than this guy and it's not for lack of talent it's for lack of effort and refining those skills.      He just hasn't gotten better, if anything he's gotten worse and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon.

Maybe this situation will humble him a bit and he can start living up to maybe half of what people expected out of the guy.  But in all honesty, I doubt it. 

John Wall could have done the same thing when he got a triple double in his rookie game and lived off that.

But he didn't..he's gotten better... while Jennings has stood still.

Edited by Majesty, July 23, 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#117 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,143 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 02:56 AM

First of all he's 23. His career average so far is at 17 ppg 5.7 apg 3.4 rpg and 1.5 spg

55 point game isn't his only highlight. If you think so, that is retarded. He carried that Bucks team to playoffs in two of four season he played.

If you expect a 55 point rookie performance to continue over his entier career, maybe you need a reality check. He is no Jordan and he didn't claim himself to be the best point guard in the league.

Players play to get paid. He is for sure not a MAX guy. But it's his right to ask as much as he can get. Paul George put up one solid season and led his team, and everybody is talking as if he is the next big thing and believe he is for sure a MAX guy. His percentages may be the WORST among all starting SFs in the league. But does he have potential? Hell yes. And I'm big fan of him.

Jennings suffers from one thing and one thing only. We are in PG-loaded league. Most of the PGs are NOT unique. They are just athletic, have handle and able to finish at the rim. Out of all the PGs unique ones are probably Curry, Irving, CP3 and Rondo. You can pass others as duplicate of themselves. Jennings also belongs to that group. And he is no worse than Ty Lawson (4-year $48m), Teague (4-year $32m) , Jrue Holiday (4-year $44m). I would also give Jennings a 4-year 40-45m deal.

Jennings is not a franchise player. And his skils won't develop to be a one. He wouldn't average 22-8 even if you gave him million years. But he is a warrior and a team player. He would certainly function well as the 2nd or 3rd guy for a contending team.

Playing for teams which have no vision whatsoever is harder than you think. And Bucks is the prime example of that. They don't tank, they don't/can't pursue big names and therefore they are in that mid-league hell. Let's check Bucks' perimeter rotation in Jennings' term.

09/10 - Jennings, Ridnour, Salmons, Delfino, Redd

10/11 - Jennings, Dooling, Salmons, Delfino, Maggette

11/12 - Jennings, Udrih, Ellis, Dunleavy, SJackson, Delfino

12/13 - Jennings, Udrih, Ellis, Dunleavy, Redick

I mean what the hell are you doing? There is no single player that compliments Jennings in that bunch. Bucks traded their No.1 overall pick for Ellis, all to lose him 2 years later. I understand the reluctance to keep him since he's injury prone, but why do this?

They also traded for Redick in mid-season to lose him agian. And went after Teague, but Hawks matched their offer.

I support Jennings' decision to play for a contending team. He is right to be unhappy. He's putting up 17-6 playing with bunch of benchwarmers in starting lineup. He does not deserve a MAX contract, but he shouldn't be held responsible for team's situation and his overall inefficiency. To say he is the worst starting PG in the league is retarded. You are hating on the guy that you watched maybe two or three times in a season for no reason.

I hope Jennings can show his true talents playing some meaningful minutes. Success comes from motivation.

#118 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:41 AM

First of all he's 23. His career average so far is at 17 ppg 5.7 apg 3.4 rpg and 1.5 spg

he also is a career 39% shooter from the field and one of the worst ranked point guards in the league

55 point game isn't his only highlight. If you think so, that is retarded. He carried that Bucks team to playoffs in two of four season he played.

And it was a second round in 09-10  where he shot 40% from the field and 29% from the three point line while taking 17 shots per game

And in 12-13 when he played even WORSE shooting 29% from the field and 21% from three

Guy is going down not up.  Like I said, he hasn't improved and his game isn't improving and as a POINT GUARD he is still jacking up 17 shots a game and 14 shots a game in the playoffs, guy cannot run an offense and he sucks at iso's.  So what is the positive here?

Players play to get paid. He is for sure not a MAX guy. But it's his right to ask as much as he can get. Paul George put up one solid season and led his team, and everybody is talking as if he is the next big thing and believe he is for sure a MAX guy. His percentages may be the WORST among all starting SFs in the league. But does he have potential? Hell yes. And I'm big fan of him.

Really?  Paul George was 2nd in the league in steals per game for small forwards, first in the league in defensive rating and should have won defensive player of the year.  He helped run a team with no Danny Granger while being forced into an offensive role he is unfamiliar with yet still is a career 43% from the field guy and 35% from three.

Compare that with "superstar offensive" player Carmelo Anthony who put up 45% from the field and 33% from three and you realize that Paul George is just fine offensively and possibly the best defensive Small Forward in the league. 

While Jennings is still near the bottom of the barrel as point guards go.  Again. What is the upside here?  I dunno where you got that Paul George's stats were some of the worst from a forward you saw.... so that ends that..anyway.

Jennings suffers from one thing and one thing only. We are in PG-loaded league. Most of the PGs are NOT unique. They are just athletic, have handle and able to finish at the rim. Out of all the PGs unique ones are probably Curry, Irving, CP3 and Rondo. You can pass others as duplicate of themselves. Jennings also belongs to that group. And he is no worse than Ty Lawson (4-year $48m), Teague (4-year $32m) , Jrue Holiday (4-year $44m). I would also give Jennings a 4-year 40-45m deal.

Um NO he doesn't.  I'm sorry but this is where I draw the line.

Jennings suffers from more than one things.

Fact: He suffers from being one of the worst iso point guards in the league

Fact: he shoots nearly 70% of his shots from the perimeter and barely takes it to the rim and is one of the least efficient point guards in the league at finishing at the rim because he only knows how to finish with his left hand even when he's on the other side of the basket. 

Fact: He is one of the worst defensive point guards in the league prone to always overplaying guys and allowing them to blow past him.

Fact: He has one of the worst shooting percentages of point guards in this league.

Also guys on that list you left off are Rondo and Deron Williams.  Who are still miles ahead of Brandon Jennings. 

you also left out Westbrook and Derrick Rose who have a LOT more to their games than just being athletic as both have shown the ability to run a team better and finish at the basket better than Jennings as well as being able to finish with both hands and know when and where to use their athleticisms.  AS wild as Westbrook is he's more in control than Jennings and all around the better the player.

They aren't just "athletic" they have all around better games than Jennings.  

Jennings got a LOT of problems beyond "all other point guards are carbon copies with few unique ones"

Well I just listed guys who are very different from each other and all better than Jennings.

For the record, Ty Lawson career 48% from the field and and 38% from three and extremely efficient at finishing at the rim while also averaging 16/6 and can finish with either hand as well as run and offense and be effective in iso's.  Miles ahead of Jennings. 

Jeff teague, Career 45% shooter from the field and 34% from three also having a 14/7 year with his team, can finish with either hand and again gets to the basket more than Brandon Jennings does and is also better at isolation situations. and Jrue Holiday is all star level both a better shooter and finisher than Jennings and also better at running a team.    

So yeah, Jennings is MUCH worse than all these guys, he shoots nearly 10% worse than all of them and can't run a team as well as them while being a terrible at the basket finisher.

So what makes Jennings even on THEIR level?   Quite frankly... he isn't.     So no offense but I'm glad you're not a GM if you'd give this guy a 4-year 40-45m deal....

Jennings is not a franchise player. And his skils won't develop to be a one. He wouldn't average 22-8 even if you gave him million years. But he is a warrior and a team player. He would certainly function well as the 2nd or 3rd guy for a contending team.

The words Team Player and Brandon Jennings don't go together in the same sentence unless the sentence is "Brandon Jennings is not a team player"    The guy jacks up 17 shots a game despite the fact he's a 39% shooter.   He'll keep shooting on awful nights regardless on whether or not his teammates are open.

There is a reason a point guard like Monta who could flourish next to a guy like Curry, and a three point bomber like Redick who WILL flourish under CP3, hated the guts of Brandon Jennings.      Because he doesn't know how to run an offense, he isolates too darn much, he sucks at it when he does, and is one of the worst rim finishers in the league that rarely looks to get his teammates involved.   In fact his BEST month last season was the month of March where he averaged 8.9 assists a game and had an amazing 20 point 17 assist game as well as a 31 point 10 assist game.

THOSE are the kind of stats he could put up talent wise and obviously as he averaged 8.9 assists that month and shot "ok". Know why he was able to do that?  He lowered his shot output by about 5 shots a game for the month of March and passed more.   After jacking up 17 shots per game in the months prior he dropped to 13 in March and look at the stats he puts up.

Then he forgets everything in April because he starts looking to get his own offense in less shot output this time but again STOPPED PASSING THE BALL.  As a result he got his offensively at a high percentage but he left his teammates out to dry but they lost 7 of 10 games that month and he averaged 4 assists a game.  This is the POINT GUARD.  What changed?  He found that with less shot output he could put forth better stats.  But then he focuses on only getting HIS own shot and not passing the darn ball which he did the entirety of March and looked brilliant.  Then in April he goes back to crap while getting his own scoring and leaving his teammates out to dry and never passing it to them.   He's like Riley from Boondocks, he plays great up until he realizes something works and then he makes it work only for himself.

Then by the playoffs guess what..he was back to jacking up 17 shots a game and neglecting his teammates.

Jennings a team player?   No.   Never for long anyway.

Playing for teams which have no vision whatsoever is harder than you think. And Bucks is the prime example of that. They don't tank, they don't/can't pursue big names and therefore they are in that mid-league hell. Let's check Bucks' perimeter rotation in Jennings' term.

09/10 - Jennings, Ridnour, Salmons, Delfino, Redd

10/11 - Jennings, Dooling, Salmons, Delfino, Maggette

11/12 - Jennings, Udrih, Ellis, Dunleavy, SJackson, Delfino

12/13 - Jennings, Udrih, Ellis, Dunleavy, Redick

I mean what the hell are you doing? There is no single player that compliments Jennings in that bunch. Bucks traded their No.1 overall pick for Ellis, all to lose him 2 years later. I understand the reluctance to keep him since he's injury prone, but why do this?

They also traded for Redick in mid-season to lose him agian.

And yet point guards like Curry have shown ways you CAN play with Ellis but Monta grew to HATE playing with Jennings strictly because Jennings never looked to involve him in the offense, like I said, Jennings ain't a team player.

He had redick who Jameer Nelson was able to even take advantage of as well as Dwight Howard and he Brandon Jennings couldn't make it work with him on the team either, neglecting to look for him out on the three point line unless it was at the end of shot clocks.

Jennings has had capable wing players beside him all BETTER SHOOTERS than he himself is and yet they both grew to hate him because of his tendencies.

Eventually you're gonna have to stop blaming who the Bucks have and start looking at who Jennings is as a player and the reason they don't compliment him is because NO offensive system that puts the ball in Jennings hands and runs the offense is going to compliment any player that plays next to him.

The only success Jennings will ever find at a high level is if someone else ran the team, took the ball out of his hands and relegated him to a spot up shooter who had no other responsibility other than to move off ball and wait for the pass.

But if you're putting the ball in Jennings hands and asking him "run the offense"  no wing in the darn NBA will fit around him because of his tendencies and how he plays.  It's as simple as that.

I support Jennings' decision to play for a contending team. He is right to be unhappy. He's putting up 17-6 playing with bunch of benchwarmers in starting lineup. He does not deserve a MAX contract, but he shouldn't be held responsible for team's situation and his overall inefficiency. To say he is the worst starting PG in the league is retarded. You are hating on the guy that you watched maybe two or three times in a season for no reason.

I hope Jennings can show his true talents playing some meaningful minutes. Success comes from motivation.

No, I'm sorry buddy, I've watched Jennings for a very long time and have a pretty vast understanding of what he is right now.  I just gave you a history above.

And when you're a POINT GUARD a viable point guard in this league, you know how to make the players around you play better and you understand how to find them in their sweet spots, you know how to set them up for easier shots, and you know how to take advantage of their strengths.

THAT is what a point guard's job is. 

The fact that the ball is put in Jenning's hands and he's asked to initiate the offense which ALL point guards are asked to do in this league, he CAN NOT do it.

he doesn't play to the people around him's strengths.

he doesn't look to get them involved in the offense.

He doesn't look to create a situation where they can get their offense off easily.

He doesn't even look to make things easier for himself.

He doesn't play defense.

You keep saying that it's because he's surrounded by benchwarmers, but the reality is he's done nothing.. NOTHING to try to play to their strengths, or even improve on his weaknesses, he's sucked about as bad as they have and some of them have even outplayed him and he's the point guard that's supposed to be running the team.    Jennings has no one to blame but Jennings.

He's got meaningful minutes his entire career, and even when they set him up with players that can create their own offense or be deadly off ball shooters he neglects to use them at all in the way of trying to create offense for himself, shooting 17 times a game and shooting 39% from the field.

He's a 2 trapped in a 1s body and he doesn't do either very well.

Kyrie Irving and John Wall are BOTH surrounded by bad teams and put up all-star.. and boarderline SUPERSTAR numbers.  Why can't Jennings do this?    Cause he is what he is and there is no excuses. 

Jennings is what he is, a change of scenery isn't gonna change that unless he's put in a place where the ball is completely taken out of his hands and someone else runs the offense while he is relegated to off ball shooter.

But as a point guard whose job it is to try to initiate and distribute the offense which is the job of 99% of point guards in this league, he's one of the worst starting point guards in the league.

That ain't gonna happen.  he SUCKS at the "role" of point guard, and unless someone else is on the team that takes those reigns from him he will continue to struggle wherever he goes.  

Sorry to be blunt but that's likely not gonna change.

Edited by Majesty, July 23, 2013 - 03:42 AM.

#119 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,143 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 04:30 AM

I won't even bother reading all that. I have made my point, so did you.

#120 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio

Posted July 23, 2013 - 04:42 AM

No thanks. Jennings is one-dimensional player who is getting worse every year. Ricky Rubio is worlds better than him. Pass. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users