#1 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,383 posts
  • Name:Chao❤Wade
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:15 AM

New wonder drug matches and kills all kinds of cancer — human testing starts 2014

Stanford researchers are on track to begin human trials of a potentially potent new weapon against cancer, and would-be participants are flooding in following the Post’s initial report on the discovery.

A protein called CD47 tells the body not to "eat" the cancer, but the antibody developed by Dr Weissman blocks CD47 and frees up immune cells called macrophages — which can then engulf the deadly cells.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...FBEkczPTFque7VM

Edited by -Wade-, July 12, 2013 - 09:16 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,938 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:21 AM

hope so

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#3 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Off The Bench

• 2,778 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Awesome

#4 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Great news hope it does work.

Posted Image

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,569 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:01 AM

"Eat" cancer? It is kinda misleading. I can understand if the drug tells the body to stop replicating cancerous cells, or even if once the mutation is detected, it curbs the process. But humans don't "eat" cancerous cells, they just mutate in humans and begin to affect our bodies internally under different circumstances. The body can't really counterattack at that point.

As far as names, if anyone is familiar with Resident Evil, humans use T and B cells. These are in charge of blood and immunity. But in real life lol, T cells and its relatives aren't smart so to speak. They can't go after antigens (foreign bad stuff, like tumors).

So this drug pretty much just makes the T cells alert and active, in order to help B cells immediately go and cancel out the 'starting' cancer.

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,919 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:14 AM

As if the gov will ever allow the FDA to approve it and manufacture it for mass patient medical use.

#7 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Other cutting edge cancer treatments have been run amok by big Pharma.  When the clinical stages get underway, doctors are pressured by their sponsors to resist the treatment.  After the new technology is run into the ground, big Pharma buys it up then incorporates it into their treatment options.  Hope this one is different.

#8 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,383 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Anyone ever hear of Turkey Tail mushrooms? They also have some great potential

FDA Approves Bastyr Turkey Tail Trial for Cancer Patients

It's been brewed for thousands of years as a Chinese medicinal tea. Now Bastyr University researchers are closer to discovering whether the turkey tail mushroom (Trametes versicolor) can help cancer patients boost their immune systems during chemotherapy.

Turkey tail, named for its colorful stripes, is the humble fungus at the center of a $5.4 million collaboration between Bastyr, the University of Washington and others, funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The mushroom grows widely in forests around the world, but its health potential has never been fully measured in scientific trials.

Read more: http://www.bastyr.ed...cancer-patients

"Eat" cancer? It is kinda misleading. I can understand if the drug tells the body to stop replicating cancerous cells, or even if once the mutation is detected, it curbs the process. But humans don't "eat" cancerous cells, they just mutate in humans and begin to affect our bodies internally under different circumstances. The body can't really counterattack at that point.

As far as names, if anyone is familiar with Resident Evil, humans use T and B cells. These are in charge of blood and immunity. But in real life lol, T cells and its relatives aren't smart so to speak. They can't go after antigens (foreign bad stuff, like tumors).

So this drug pretty much just makes the T cells alert and active, in order to help B cells immediately go and cancel out the 'starting' cancer.

Good insight. :D

Edited by -Wade-, July 12, 2013 - 10:39 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,919 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:37 AM

So we all agree that the FDA and Big Government controls the pharmaceutical industry and has the power to delay or even stop whichever groundbreaking drug or procedure they wish?

Spoiler

#10 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,383 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:40 AM

As if the gov will ever allow the FDA to approve it and manufacture it for mass patient medical use.

There is money to be made in treatment.

There is little money (in comparison) to be made in complete cures.

wKNsigp.png

#11 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I need to get the name of the place.  A guy I work with worked for a biotech firm and they had really good clinical trials for treating prostate cancer.  Essentially, they used the blood of the patient and it destroyed the cancer.  One treatment, all done.  No chemo, no drugs, etc.  Clinical trials came and the doctors got busted up by their pharma sponsors.  Pharma wanted to buy it and make it a part of their ONGOING treatment...not a cure.  They said no, got busted up bad, and now Johnson and Johnson is buying it for pennies on the dollar.  Their plan, incorporate the process into their ongoing treatment.  I will get the name of the place.

• 38,578 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:41 AM

So we all agree that the FDA and Big Government controls the pharmaceutical industry and has the power to delay or even stop whichever groundbreaking drug or procedure they wish?

Couldn't agree more. It would absolutely destroy business/profit. As sick and evil as that sounds, that's just the way this world rolls sometimes.

yo.

#13 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 807 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:54 AM

We already know of things that can kill cancer easily,  it's not legal or talked about because their is no profit to make off healing people.  Case closed.

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

• 38,578 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 12:18 PM

^ 18855966_400x400.jpg

yo.

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:22 AM

Diabetes and cancer need cures.  I've had two uncles and an aunt with cancer already, within the last year or two, and diabetes is just an awful chronic metabolic disease that will ruin your life (you hear about how easy it can be to manage, but there are also two types of diabetics...and I'm Type 1, the worst...ugh).

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,008 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 13, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Diabetes and cancer need cures.  I've had two uncles and an aunt with cancer already, within the last year or two, and diabetes is just an awful chronic metabolic disease that will ruin your life (you hear about how easy it can be to manage, but there are also two types of diabetics...and I'm Type 1, the worst...ugh).

Agreed, type one is horrible

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cancer, health, study, CD47

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users