#22 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 817 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:57 PM

For the vet min I would take a risk on him.

#23 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yes Vet min I would aswell.  And anyone who says they knew Trevor Ariza would contribute to the team when the Lakers acquired him is straight lying...

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#24 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 423 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:36 PM

kobe kanobi

#25 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,243 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Guys like to remember Ariza as being a good player but he was nothing more than average.  He made some great shots in the Finals but overall he was never really anything special.  Kobe at the time was the best player in the NBA, Gasol was playing his best ball and Lamar was killing it too.  Not hard for Ariza for get a few good plays here and there.

Ariza played his role to perfection. He played stingy D, and kept defenses honest and on their heels by hitting the occasional open jumper and cutting to the basket. 

What more do you ask of from a role player on a team with Kobe and company

Edited by androsays, July 11, 2013 - 10:44 PM.

2div

#26 sneeks

sneeks

Kiss The Rings

• 210 posts
  • Fan Since:1976
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, Magic & Cap

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM

for vet min? take him.

#27 Galácticos

Galácticos

Kings

• 2,944 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Young

Posted July 14, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Me & Mitch are on the same wavelength.

CHAD.jpg

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#28 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2013 - 12:37 PM

I think Wes Johnson's potential is light years beyond Ariza's.  Don't know that he's ever been in the right situation but he's got a great basketball body, good length, great athleticism, good form and the ability to changes ends quickly in transition.  There is no reason he shouldn't be as good or better defensively on the ball than Ariza.  His handles are MUCH better than Ariza.

People forget that Ariza was a finisher/slasher for the majority of his career and was finally exposed when he left the Lakers and was expected to create for himself and others.  We don't have to worry about that with Wes.

And for the vet min?  It's a very low risk/ high reward type move.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,636 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:05 PM

.  And anyone who says they knew Trevor Ariza would contribute to the team when the Lakers acquired him is straight lying...

Were you around then?

This place exploded with excitement that day.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#30 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,636 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:09 PM

We got a guy who was drafted ahead of DeMarcus Cousins.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

• 38,686 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, there's obviously a ton of room for potential & growth in a 39% shooter. You would think he can only go up.

yo.

#32 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, there's obviously a ton of room for potential & growth in a 39% shooter. You would think he can only go up.

LOL...funny, but not exactly what I meant.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,809 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I disagree.  Most guys just remember the team winning and him making some good shots.  Overall he was an average player man nothing more nothing less.  Almost any SF with an average jump shot would have did what he did.  Ron will always be the better choice even though he sucked after 2010 excluding this past season.

Ariza played his role to perfection. He played stingy D, and kept defenses honest and on their heels by hitting the occasional open jumper and cutting to the basket. 

What more do you ask of from a role player on a team with Kobe and company

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

• 38,686 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 01:54 PM

LOL...funny, but not exactly what I meant.

troll-face.png

yo.

#35 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 529 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Kup

Posted July 14, 2013 - 02:29 PM

I disagree.  Most guys just remember the team winning and him making some good shots.  Overall he was an average player man nothing more nothing less.  Almost any SF with an average jump shot would have did what he did.  Ron will always be the better choice even though he sucked after 2010 excluding this past season.

how can you disagree with that? i dont see anything he said as debatable there lol. id say most people remember him more for his defense than his making of some good shots. exactly what part of his statement are you in disagreement with? ariza filled his role on that team very well.

i love ron and in prime to prime its not even close but trevor was a better fit for the lakers than he was at that stage in his career. ron is more of a volume scorer while ariza,as a laker was better within the flow of the offense and more efficient overall.

ariza also brought much more athleticism and speed, better ability to finish at the rim. they are very close in stats overall with ariza having less minutes. both had their advantages but for what the lakers lacked, ariza was a better fit imo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as wesley, he does have potential and is low risk high reward if it works. I find it very unlikely that he wont live up to the vets min paycheck at the very least.

he hasnt panned out so far but the change in roles from syracuse hasnt helped him, going from combo forward in college to mostly playing the 2 in the nba had to be a shock for him. he did start to show some improvement in phx at least and he has solid height , good length, youth and athleticism.

he doesnt shoot particularly well but he has good mechanincs and can play some d. he isnt likely going to be the guy that he was thought to be but he could fairly easily hang his hat(at some point) on being a solid defender who can space the floor.

happy to see the lakers making the right kind of moves with the vm.

Edited by SweatShop, July 14, 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users