ESPN: Dwight wanted Kobe to pass the torch

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Based on those 2 statements, I'd say he's just like Bynum: wants all the benefits of stardom (money, respect, etc) w/o putting in the hard work or accepting the responsibility of it.

Explain to me how Bynum went from a fat overweight teenager to the best all around center when he was with the Lakers if he did not put in the work?

Bynum and Howard are two completely different player and personalities. Bynum was okay with Kobe being the man on the team and the Lakers being his team.

#62 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:38 AM

Like I said earlier when Dwight said he would join the Rockets that a lot of stories would come out.

Kobe found out that Dwight wanted him gone and ever since then their relationship was never going to be the same. How can you be cool with a guy who is trying to take over the house you built without having earn the right to do so?

Dwight was not well liked by the old vets because they felt he was too immature and too childish to be taken serious as franchise player.

Edited by Niss, July 11, 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#63 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Wait...so, he (or his camp) asked the Lakers if they were going to amnesty Kobe?

LOL.

Dwight took the easy way out. These are the LA Lakers, and Kobe Bryant is an active legend. You don't just walk through the door and expect everything to be shoveled over to you.

His team asked Mitch if they were thinking of using the amnesty on Kobe in a meeting in the beginning of the year. He was trying to run Kobe off his own team behind closed doors and his team told Mitch it was unlikely he would re-sign if Kobe was not willing to pass the torch to him after next season. He also did not want the Lakers to re-sign Kobe after next season. His team were the ones who threw out the idea of trading Pau and Nash, using the amnesty on Kobe, and trying to sign CP3.

Dwight did not have the balls to say anything to Kobe's face every time Kobe called him out on the plane, in the locker room, after practices, etc.

#64 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Good riddance is all I can say, what a [expletive]en cry baby. Bye bye. 

Laker fan for life.

#65 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,465 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Dwight lost his damn mind!

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#66 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,326 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Let it go now guys he gone!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#67 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:45 AM

You may be a little off base with Bynum.  Bynum may not have wanted to be the star/franchise guy but he clearly wanted a much larger role than what he had.  You can try to big up Bynum to downplay Dwight all you want but he was never better overall and even with Dwight not being "fully committed" he is usually more productive than Bynum on a consistent basis.  Offensively they complained about the same things...touches. 

Explain to me how Bynum went from a fat overweight teenager to the best all around center when he was with the Lakers if he did not put in the work?

Bynum and Howard are two completely different player and personalities. Bynum was okay with Kobe being the man on the team and the Lakers being his team.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#68 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,438 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 11, 2013 - 09:16 AM

I just don't get it. Dwight was one of my favorite players in the league pre-Lakers. I never thought he would crumble the way he did and have the audacity to try and orchestrate the outing of Kobe from LA. I don't know how he'll be the man in Houston with Harden there.

#69 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Harden > Dwight any day of the week.  And to be honest I think the in many ways the addition of Dwight could linger and harm the game of Harden.  It'll possibly improve Parsons being that he is a spot up shooter but Harden needs the ball to create his shot and most of his penetration and movement is with the ball rather than off it.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#70 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 11, 2013 - 09:38 AM

The more and more I read about the Dwight season I'm glad he's gone as far as a teammate goes. 

How the [expletive] do you honestly expect the Lakers to amnesty Kobe?!?! He's won 5 chips here and you've done nothing to warrant that.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#71 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:56 AM

I saw this pic on Facebook using Kobe's dunk on Dwight as Dwight's statue outside Staples Center lol

#72 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,308 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Well then:

ESPN: Kobe told Dwight to go [expletive] himself. :)

#73 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:59 AM

we don't need weirdos/wimps that can't handle the LA spotlight

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#74 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 11, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I love the rage coming out of Lakerland.. it invigorates me to rage hard IRL

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#75 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts
  • Name:El Diablo
  • Fan Since:Birth aka 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good luck being "the Man" with Harden scoring 30 points a game and taking all the shots in clutch time. He's crazy if doesn't think that is Harden's team in Houston.

Posted Image

#76 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 04:29 PM

You may be a little off base with Bynum.  Bynum may not have wanted to be the star/franchise guy but he clearly wanted a much larger role than what he had.  You can try to big up Bynum to downplay Dwight all you want but he was never better overall and even with Dwight not being "fully committed" he is usually more productive than Bynum on a consistent basis.  Offensively they complained about the same things...touches. 

You let me know when a team can run a offense out the post with Dwight as the main piece, when he learns how to pass out of a double team, when he makes his free throws, and he can perform under pressure.

#77 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,204 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sacre needa goon this clown

#78 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,125 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:35 PM

D12 has many deficiencies in his game. Instead of focusing on getting better - he came here as if he is like Michael Jordan at his peak.

If you want to be #1 in LA over Kobe, You will need to earn it on the court.  D12 was not reliable go to player.

Many in this forum hyped his FG%.  Big deal. Most of his baskets were spoon feedings.

If you only dunk and shoot from 5 ft .. your FG% better be 90%.

D12 was good in defense .. at times really good. That is his strength.

But you will not be a franchise player in LA - playing defense alone.

Anyway we will see how he fares in Houston. He never fit well in LA.

Maybe he will put more effort in Houston.

#79 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,746 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:55 PM

"I ain't passing **** to anybody." -Kobe

Gotta take the torch.....thats what greats do

#80 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,081 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:56 AM

On its merits, I don't have a problem with the plan of amnestying Kobe in an attempt to bring in a marquee talent, etc. We discussed this ad nauseum in April/May.

But, that plan should not have come from Dwight. He has not earned that right, especially not with the Lakers. That needed to be a plan hatched by Kobe and Lakers management with a complete understanding of what's in play and what's at stake.

A lot of people are using what went down as evidence that the Lakers did not treat a star player appropriately. You could argue the opposite. One could argue that the Lakers have so much appreciation for Kobe and what he's done for this franchise that they were unwilling to amensty him in an attempt to rebuild now.

Kobe wanted Dwight to take the torch. It's a shame that Dwight didn't have the mental make-up to embrace the opportunity that was in front of him.

Sure, Kobe has his faults, but I think Dwight blew an amazing opportunity here, and will ultimately live to regret it.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users