16 replies to this topic

#1 Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett

Rookie

• 134 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:31 PM

I can't believe people/the press are writing off this upcoming season. Kobe may not get his 6th ring but...

1. The team will be younger, deeper, and healthier.

2. Because of the setbacks of 2012-13, Kobe, Nash, and Gasol will be more determined than ever.

3. Mitch Kupchak.

The Lakers simply lost Howard, a player who has great skill but lacks the determination and heart of a champion. Losing him now, rather than later, is a good thing.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,792 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:42 PM

1. No we aren't. We are older than ever. 

2. Ok thats nice. Doesn't stop the fact that kobe's out till december and Nash is 40 and pau is garbage.

3.?? Yea because he has all this money and trade assets to do so many things. 

No losing him later when he's older and it doesn't really matter would be better. Idk how you think losing him now was better. Thats ridiculous. 

You are taking homer to a whole new level. This season is a throw away. Get over it. Lakers will come back eventually but not this season. 

#3 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 988 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Everybody s calling the 2013-2014 Lakers a lottery team.

Like we say in France "don't sell the skin of a bear before killing it!"

LMAO

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,923 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I can't believe people/the press are writing off this upcoming season. Kobe may not get his 6th ring but...

1. The team will be younger, deeper, and healthier.

2. Because of the setbacks of 2012-13, Kobe, Nash, and Gasol will be more determined than ever.

3. Mitch Kupchak.

The Lakers simply lost Howard, a player who has great skill but lacks the determination and heart of a champion. Losing him now, rather than later, is a good thing.

If the Lakers can't and probably wont come close to winning a ring this year then what is this year worth?  May as well get rid of the expensive guys and do bad enough to get a new franchise or all star talent guy in this year's draft.  The top 3 prospects are considered all star talent level guys out the 1-2 years into the NBA.  No way the Lakers should pass that up on the Kobe/Pau era that ended 2 years ago.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Any year we don't win a ring, while we still have a superstar on our roster, is considered a throw-away, unless we land a top five draft pick (which won't happen).

We're the Lakers, not the Rockets.

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,906 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:33 PM

^ that sounds good, but the NBA is NOTHING but a television show.

it woould be boring if it was predictable, hence it was enjoyed throughout last season by all non-Lakewrs fans.

Plus we stayed glued to the tv.

Ireally resent this notion and cliche that "titles are everything".

that's not true. Kobe has had 17 AMAzing seasons, not just 5.

Whatever though, y'all can buy in to the religion of the NBA. I watch it to be entertained and I invest my time and emotions but won't lose perspective.

Kobe got us 5 rings in his 20 years( more or less), so I'm rolling with him no matter what

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 10, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Kobe hasn't had 17 amazing seasons, but I digress.

And when did I say a team's expectations are equal to a player's? They aren't. That should be understood. Great players have trouble winning multiple championships for many reasons that have little to do with them.

For the Lakers, championships or bust.

For Kobe, who only cares about rings, his legacy also dips into what he does individually, rings or not (ex. 2006).

Religion of the NBA? Half of what you're posting...I'm not even sure if I'm understanding it. You watch it to be entertained...but you won't lose perspective of...what? You invest your time and emotions to be entertained? Am I spending money on the Lakers? Am I investing more than time and emotions, and is it for a greater goal than entertainment? I'm curious...

#8 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Throwaway season in the terms of not being a TItle contender? yes

But in the terms of rehabing (Kobe, Pau, & Nash) & getting some better role players to audition to see if they can make a impact without Kobe being his normal self? This is very important to the following season when Lakers look to get back in driver seat of Title COntention.

So it is & it isnt a throwaway season. cuz the outcome of this season will set the stage on how much they gotta reach the following season

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#9 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,393 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I think we are quietly building a playoff team. One or two more nice Vet Mins. Go at least 500 until Kobe comes back and hopefully the chemistry that's built will carry over. One more SF with size and a enforcer type PF and I really believe we're good

#10 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:17 PM

We're not winning a championship. 

That's why it's a throwaway season. Feel free to bet me on that too. I like my odds. 

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,906 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:21 PM

In my opinion every season kobe has been a Laker has been amazing, even the year he missed the last 20 games or so.

rookie year-Slam Dun Champ

Then he really blossomed from there 

The journey and it's still not over.

Just like I would enjoy being a Cavs fan right now, because Kyrie can give u something every night

the LAKERS are the most important franchise in the NBa.

luckily the East has miami and now a decent couple of teams in NY, but let the Lakers seriously fall off and the NBA takes a major dive,

#12 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Depends. They aren't winning it all but if they play well after losing Howard they make themselves more attractive to whatever free agents they have their eye on
Posted Image

#13 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:43 PM

We'll have a better record, we'll actually have chemistry back in the clubhouse, and we got younger andmore athletic. Pau was misused and hurt , and still had a decent year by most stndards. It's all in how we are playing at the end of the year. We got "mature" and young together. A nice mix considering our fiancial situation.  I am happy Dwight is gone, he never once embraced the Laker ideal. Nash fell right into it, as do most.

That's from my "crystal ball"........

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,470 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Sometimes I wonder how much better we'd have been if Howard actually TRIED to run pick and roll with Nash.

So what if it was too easy?  So what if that's what he ran in Orlando?  So what if it made him seem one dimensional?  Our team would have won more games and wouldn't have been in dire need of the playoffs.

I blame D'antoni for his coaching faux pas but I blame Dwight even more for not even attempting to run pick and roll with Nash and making his job easier or committing to it at all.

Team chemistry will be a lot better without Dwight here.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,792 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Sometimes I wonder how much better we'd have been if Howard actually TRIED to run pick and roll with Nash.

So what if it was too easy?  So what if that's what he ran in Orlando?  So what if it made him seem one dimensional?  Our team would have won more games and wouldn't have been in dire need of the playoffs.

I blame D'antoni for his coaching faux pas but I blame Dwight even more for not even attempting to run pick and roll with Nash and making his job easier or committing to it at all.

Team chemistry will be a lot better without Dwight here.

Dwight would have actually had to complete screens for the P&R to work. Guy is the master of the phantom screen. 

#16 Sung_mvp

Sung_mvp

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Dwight would have actually had to complete screens for the P&R to work. Guy is the master of the phantom screen.

No he gets silly fouls attempting to set picks illegally. He complains. And he gets technical fouls. Thereafter, he is under the refs' scrutinizing radar. Gets T'd up again and hits the shower. That or sillly offensive fouls throwing elbows and takes the same path mentioned above.

#17 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:21 PM

It's a throwaway season, and that's not a bad thing and I think people need to kind of embrace the situation we are in. I'm still gonna watch and pull for the Lakers to win every single game, but I know what our roster is and I have a good idea of what they're capable of.

The front office has done an outstanding job in the wake of Dwight Howard leaving. Bringing in young players for cheap one year deals. Low risk, high reward. If things with this team work out somehow and they actually make a little noise, play good basketball; they look like geniuses. If they suck, lose a ton of games, end up with a high draft pick and a ton of money for free agents in 2014 (which they'll have regardless); then in addition to possibly gaining a couple of max contract players we have a chance at getting another franchise player through the draft.

Whether this season turns out to be ugly or somewhat respectable as far as what place we finish in the conference, is kind of innocuous. 2014 is what matters, hence my opinion that this season is a throwaway. Doesn't mean it won't still be interesting though.

Edited by djcovi, July 14, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users