109 replies to this topic

#101 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,413 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:32 AM

read the article.  He is basically not going to say publicly that he is going to take a pay cut and thereby lose his negotiating power.  It would be like if you ran a business and called up one of your distributors and said "I am desperate for product X", they would instantly know that you will pay more and are desperate and you lose your negotiating powers.  Kobe will take a paycut, he won't play for the league minimum or close to it, and frankly, he shouldn't, he isn't a league minimum player.  He will get paid, he just won't demand max money.

#102 Villane

Villane

Rookie

• 11 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:41 AM

You just compared the financial perspectives and circumstace of a medical doctor to a professional athlete aswell as a medical facility to a basketball organization... that just doesn't workout.

Only 50% of his income comes from the Lakers, everything else is from pure advertisement and marketing his brand.  The last time I checked doctors don't have their own line, don't have their own shoes, their own billboards, their own brand, nor do they make anywhere near what Kobe does.

It's not Kobe fault or medical doctors fault. You can get endorsed more for you athletic ability instead of intelligence. If it was possible to have that kinda luxury, earning endorsement through education in degrees and whatnot that be pretty cool. But, that doesn't happen rarely. The reality of how certain things flow for the cash register at the bottom line is you get paid the amount from your provider and you work. And, whatever outside sources that are around your work area is merely your benefit.

Edited by Villane, July 11, 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#103 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:23 AM

http://sports.yahoo....-125531553.html

these comments..

#104 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Kobe saying straight-up to the media, "I'm taking a pay-cut," basically means in other words, "I can't do this by myself, so I am going to take less money, so we can sign some bigger stars."

Kobe is smart. He knows how to play it.

THIS.

Kobe Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Wednesday that he fully intends to retire as a Laker someday and doesn't believe there will be any problem securing an extension for as long as he can play at an elite level. There have yet to be any discussions between Bryant's camp and the Lakers about an extension, he said, so neither side has any idea yet what type of salary he will command. Bryant is currently the highest-paid player in the league at $30.5 million this season. "As a businessman the goal is always to not take a pay cut," Bryant said. "But ..."

Posted Image

#105 Armenian24

Armenian24

Rookie

• 123 posts
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:53 AM

why is everyone trippin about this? Kobe is a smart businessman, why would he say yes ill take a paycut when they havent even began negotications? hes obviously going to say im gonna take as much money as i can meaning the lakers will offer him something kobes reps will offer something and theyll meet somewhere in between

#106 N-Y

N-Y

Rookie

• 94 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:38 PM

nobody should be tripping... instead of reading the quote, watch the video with him answering it... its not as bad as its written, things will get worked out, win win for both

#107 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:54 PM

My guess is he'll do a 2/20-30 or a 3/30. I know he's not taking anything less than 10 million and as he shouldn't. He knows his time is coming to a close here soon. 

#108 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 11, 2013 - 04:29 PM

If you guys believe Kobe will take less than 10 mil per year, you are sadly mistaken. If they gave Shaq a nice extension why not Kobe? Pierce, Garnett, etc did not take any mid level crap and neither will Kobe. Even Nash got 9 Mil. Kobe taking a 20 million dollar pay cut would be fine with me. That's a lot to spend on others. Pau on the other hand...........

They love taking things out of context on that site I notice.

He was basically saying if you have a negotiating mind you aren't gonna be stupid enough to put it out there that you'll take a gigantic paycut because at least he's gonna get SOMETHING.  It's the same reason that free agents don't say who they are gonna sign with the day of.  They want that leverage.

So Kobe was saying if you have to be of a negotiating mind you won't put it out there that you'll sign for the minimum cause it would be dumb of him on the business side to say it.  So saying he'd take a severe paycut eliminates any kind of chance for him to negotiate(say a 10 million 2 year contract).

That's basically all Kobe is saying.  I await for it to blown out of proportion though.

He'll take a paycut but it won't be the veterans minimum, but it will be something reasonable.  

#109 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think by paycut they ment the vet minimum n he said no about that

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:11 PM

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users