250 replies to this topic

#141 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,372 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:40 AM

BasketballIQ thinks the Lakers are contending this year.

Enough said.

I think we are a dark horse.

Any team with the right mix of winning vets and talented youth have a chance.

#142 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted September 08, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I think we are a dark horse.

Any team with the right mix of winning vets and talented youth have a chance.

reallly dont think we can do it this year with 80% kobe. i like us not this year but the next.

even if we just keep the same roster and add a FA like kyle lowry. kobe should be 90% by then.

btw, kobe's gunna post up SO much this year,due to the half step he'll have lost.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#143 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 08, 2013 - 06:02 PM

even if Kobe was 150%, we'd still get smashed.

I've been pleading for Kobe to post up more for the longest. He's so deadly there and much more efficient.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#144 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,372 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 06:37 PM

reallly dont think we can do it this year with 80% kobe. i like us not this year but the next.

even if we just keep the same roster and add a FA like kyle lowry. kobe should be 90% by then.

btw, kobe's gunna post up SO much this year,due to the half step he'll have lost.

Well, I don't know. His injury was oneo f the worst, and he is not young, but it seems to me that medical advances are proving to be much different than we saw even 5-10 years ago. And MANY guys are maintaining great play for many years

Look at Peyton Manning- and he gets CRUSHED at least once a game, and that his spine.

Kobe , in my opinion, played too athletic at times last season, not to the detriment of the team, but he put himself in peril a lot.

Just look at Andre Miller, and realizes that Kobe will be taller, more skilled, quicker, more athletic, stronger and  just as smart and crafty, if not craftier.

He gets to practice against players like Wes johnson and Nick Young, and when it comes to REHAB, is there ANYONE in the history of sports who works HARDER?

i think Kobe , even if diminished, could be what DIRK was in 2011

A very good offensive player who , because of the offensive guys around him will be able to pick his spots.

He probably will play his more grounded mid-range game, which is fine. Joe Johnson isn't particularly fast or athletic, some guys just have the where with all to play good ball.

#145 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,560 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:03 PM

This would seem to be a season where Kobe due to surgery, and likely less mobility, goes to his left hand to add weapons to his game...like he did the season he broke his right wrist...though not to excellent results. I expect he'll surprise us. When hasn't he?

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#146 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:50 PM

what Kobe needs to do is improve his ball hanlding to that of an elite PG. right now he has above average handles for an off guard, but he needs to improve it 2 or 3 nothces. should make up for the loss of a step.

i dont really expect him to do it tho. so i expect him to struggle this season.

i expect 20 ppg - mostly from Js coming off screens /// and post ups. i dont expect him to get to the rim much AT ALL this year.(like i said im excited for Kobe and the Lakers year after next)

mind you,please, im kobe's #1 fan of all time. and a former (junior)college PG.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#147 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 09, 2013 - 02:14 PM

what Kobe needs to do is improve his ball hanlding to that of an elite PG. right now he has above average handles for an off guard, but he needs to improve it 2 or 3 nothces. should make up for the loss of a step.

i dont really expect him to do it tho. so i expect him to struggle this season.

i expect 20 ppg - mostly from Js coming off screens /// and post ups. i dont expect him to get to the rim much AT ALL this year.(like i said im excited for Kobe and the Lakers year after next)

mind you,please, im kobe's #1 fan of all time. and a former (junior)college PG.

lol

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#148 marbleman

marbleman

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Walter Ordjonikidze
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:01 AM

So far, there is slightly improvement from last year's roster.We got rid of veterans like A.Jamison (37) M W P (33) and Ch.Duhon (32) and filled their places with young players.Unfortunately, that is all to say. This team still features some of the oldest players in the NBA today, mixed-up with several under-mid-level players and undrafted rookies.Not a good combination to work with, right? That is why, we have to be very patient and non critical to M.D'Antoni.All of the FA's we have signed so far are just fillers. Besides  J.Farmar and N.Young, I don't have very big expectations from anyone else. Years of wrong management has brought us to this bad situation and now, it will take another 2-3 years to rebuild this team and to make it an NBA contender again.

#149 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,003 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:59 AM

^

We have a bunch of players with high potential but who haven't lived up to their name. Being in Los Angeles has often times brought out the best before. 

No one expects the LA Lakers to contend. It's highly unlikely given the talent and stars the other teams currently possess. But being an experimental year, the Lakers can get an idea of who to sign next year and who not to. I don't expect much from Xavier Henry, Shawne Williams, or Elias Harris, but if they can be pesky defenders (along with Kurt Rambis' defensive schemes), that'll be a good sign for LA. A deep bench isn't necessarily about who scores the most but more so a collection of players that can come in and maintain the score or increase the differential in the team's favor. 

The health and decline of our big three is a concerning factor as well. But if we can get the Nash, Kobe, and Gasol of the past, it'll be captivitating to see the Laker's ceiling. I just hope we keep hearing more news about how the Lakers will suck. The more motivation, the better.

Edited by Clutch Factor, September 10, 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#150 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,372 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 04:41 PM

So far, there is slightly improvement from last year's roster.We got rid of veterans like A.Jamison (37) M W P (33) and Ch.Duhon (32) and filled their places with young players.Unfortunately, that is all to say. This team still features some of the oldest players in the NBA today, mixed-up with several under-mid-level players and undrafted rookies.Not a good combination to work with, right? That is why, we have to be very patient and non critical to M.D'Antoni.All of the FA's we have signed so far are just fillers. Besides  J.Farmar and N.Young, I don't have very big expectations from anyone else. Years of wrong management has brought us to this bad situation and now, it will take another 2-3 years to rebuild this team and to make it an NBA contender again.

Actually, after titles, like Lakers had, you usually have to rebuild, in fact do you see the Celtics( only 1 title), and the Pistons since the title,

#151 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 13, 2013 - 03:40 AM

IF the Lakers sign Kelly... their entire 15 man group is filled

It would go like this

PG: Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar
SG: Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Jodie Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, Elias Harris
PF: Jordan Hill, Shawne Williams, Ryan Kelly
C: Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman, Robert Sacre

That's 15....

So that means the drama will be whether or not we sign Kelly. 

We're 3 deep at every position pretty much and some of our 3s can play 2 and vice versa

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#152 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I think if Kelly isn't ready by camp then he's likely gone

#153 marbleman

marbleman

Rookie

• 53 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Lets not make big deal out of it.This season is not important at all. We have added some youth to this team, but besides Farmar and N.Young, all other are second and third hand players. Even W.Johnson and Ch.Kaman.Of course, it will be nice, if anyone of them can develope his game and bring something to the table, but, I seriousely doubt that. Lets see, who is going to flash. It is a contract year for many of them.

^

I somewhat agree in the fact that the record won't be as bad as some are making it. But I would be surprised if we broke .500, especially considering Kobe won't be around for roughly the first half of the season and then trying to get in the groove of things so to speak.

I guess we will go as high as Nash/Gasol can carry us. The intangibles being Hill and Kaman apparently.

#154 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,155 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hearing Marcus Landry is on the verge of signing a make-good, training camp contract with the Lakers - been reporting this was coming

#155 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 02:48 PM

well we all knew he was gonna come into training camp.   That was a given.

#156 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 04:36 PM

1. LAL just announced the signing of Marcus Landry, who played well for the Lakers in the Vegas Summer League.

#157 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,790 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 01:55 AM

1. LAL just announced the signing of Marcus Landry, who played well for the Lakers in the Vegas Summer League.

Awesome.

Now we're at:

PG: Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar
SG: Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Jodie Meeks
SF: Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, Elias Harris, Marcus Landry
PF:
Jordan Hill, Shawne Williams, Ryan Kelly
C: Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman, Robert Sacre

I think most of the guys from last year, except Kobe, will be better this year - with more depth, rest and a more suitable system.

Now, with this many guys, hopefully 2-3 will work out.

#158 marbleman

marbleman

Rookie

• 53 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 10:42 AM

We all know, that M.D'Antoni's system is based on the runing and shooting.This season, he will have the luxury to play several youngsters. Kobe, probably won't be back till Christmas, that is why our coach can extend his rotation and see, who is the best fit for every position.

PG: Jordan FARMAR (St.Blake, St.Nash)

SG: Nick YOUNG       (Jodie Meeks, Kobe))

SF: Wes. JOHNSON (Sh.Williams, X.Henry)

PF: Jordan HILL       (Elias Harris, Ryan Kelly)

C:   Pau GASOL       (Ch.Kaman, R.Sacre)

The starting unit has two very productive big men, who can find an open team-mate on the perimeter. The other three are dangerous outside shooters - Farmar, Young & Johnson.It's a lot younger unit, who can develope D'Antoni's style and make it work, as it did in Phoenix. The second unit of Nash, Meeks, Williams, Harris and Kaman features also two very good passers-veterans in Nash & Kaman and three outside shooters. That is exactly what Mike D'Antoni has asked this offseason. Just remember. In Phoenix, he did have only St.Nash and A.Stoudemire as a focal points. Here, he has Nash, Kobe, Gasol and in some extends, Farmar and Kaman. This is a team with very good combination of youth and veterans. Now, it is all up to the coach to instal his famous system and excell.

#159 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 02:44 PM

OFFICIAL: Lakers sign Ryan Kelly - RELEASE: http://on.nba.com/16virNV  pic.twitter.com/Nb70YvHpiU

BUogdZeCIAARoM6.jpg

Edited by Majesty, September 20, 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#160 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 20, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Bye Pau

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic