Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:20 AM

I just hope we are not putting all of our eggs in a 2014/2015 basket

#102 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,054 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:43 AM

I just hope we are not putting all of our eggs in a 2014/2015 basket

We're pretty much trying to make as complete a team as possible this season. 

Hope everyone gets through healthy.

If Wesley, Farmar and Young turn out to be great additions re-signing them.

Going into the off-season looking to being a second superstar.

Negotiate with Kobe's 2nd contract

That's basically our 2014 plan.

If you look at the way our team is constructed right now.. let's say... you added Carmelo to our roster.

And our lineup was

Nash
Kobe
Johnson
Carmelo
Gasol

and the bench was

Blake/Farmar

Young/Meeks
Open - Young if Meeks is the 2
Hill
Kaman

That's essentially the plan. 
But they'd likely let Blake and Meeks walk and try to bring back Gasol for much less. 

if you were to ask me who they Lakers want to re-sign have next year when they go for their second superstar if they pan out I'd say the following

Kobe, Gasol, Young, Farmar, Johnson, Hill.  

That is probably the core of people the Lakers want to re-sign and keep here(Kobe and Gasol for less money) for the 2014 season and then try to add a second superstar to that.  Signing Kobe goes without saying. But re-signing Hill, Young, Johnson and Farmar(should they pan out this year) will be steps they will also be exploring heavily.  They'll likely let Blake and Meeks walk.   They'll probably see how little gasol will take to return as well should he not be terrible this year.

If the succeed at getting a second superstar in 2014 then they will probably try to re-sign the above mentioned with the money that's left while not getting rid of all of it or grossly overpaying.

That's for the 2015 season when Rondo, Love, etc come off the books and the Lakers have enough money to snag one of them. 

So my guess is they'd try to re-sign Gasol for the vets min to see how he pans out.  

in 2014 obviously their targets are Melo or LeBron.

In 2015 their targets are likely Rondo or Love.

In 2014 they'll try to get Melo or LeBron and re-sign the roleplayers that pan out this year as well as Kobe and try to get Gasol to come back for the min.

If that's successful then they will prep for 2015 when they try to sign Rondo or Love and also Nash's contract ends and he likely retires.

So if I were to take a wild guess I'd say their perceived goal entering the 2015 season is this roster

Rondo
Kobe
Johnson
Carmelo
Gasol

Farmar
Young
(Open)
Hill
(backup center)

Notable free agent role-players in the 2015 off-season:  Thad Young, Brendan Wright, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyson Chandler, Jeff Green, Dorell Wright, Paul Milsap.

Edited by Majesty, August 24, 2013 - 05:03 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#103 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,165 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:57 AM

If we could sign Tyson Chandler in the 2015 offseason, I'd rather have him start at C while Gasol come off the bench. He's younger and a much better defensive player. And assuming we already signed Carmelo, the two will have prior chemistry.

#104 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 03:51 AM

Lets keep it real. The chances of getting Melo or LeBron are slim and slimmer. My question is what is our 2014/15 plan B if we can't get one of those two. If LeBron wins another ring he's not going anywhere. If he doesn't win, (PR wise) he's almost be better off going to play with Kyrie back in Cleveland. Melo on the other hand is more likely, but if he bolted from NY after sucking their roster bone dry in the trade; that may be a PR nightmare. Not to mention they should have a damn good team if Amare is healthy. So who is left that is an UFA that can make a championship impact??

We're pretty much trying to make as complete a team as possible this season. 

Hope everyone gets through healthy.

If Wesley, Farmar and Young turn out to be great additions re-signing them.

Going into the off-season looking to being a second superstar.

Negotiate with Kobe's 2nd contract

That's basically our 2014 plan.

If you look at the way our team is constructed right now.. let's say... you added Carmelo to our roster.

And our lineup was

Nash
Kobe
Johnson
Carmelo
Gasol

and the bench was

Blake/Farmar

Young/Meeks
Open - Young if Meeks is the 2
Hill
Kaman

That's essentially the plan. 
But they'd likely let Blake and Meeks walk and try to bring back Gasol for much less. 

if you were to ask me who they Lakers want to re-sign have next year when they go for their second superstar if they pan out I'd say the following

Kobe, Gasol, Young, Farmar, Johnson, Hill.  

That is probably the core of people the Lakers want to re-sign and keep here(Kobe and Gasol for less money) for the 2014 season and then try to add a second superstar to that.  Signing Kobe goes without saying. But re-signing Hill, Young, Johnson and Farmar(should they pan out this year) will be steps they will also be exploring heavily.  They'll likely let Blake and Meeks walk.   They'll probably see how little gasol will take to return as well should he not be terrible this year.

If the succeed at getting a second superstar in 2014 then they will probably try to re-sign the above mentioned with the money that's left while not getting rid of all of it or grossly overpaying.

That's for the 2015 season when Rondo, Love, etc come off the books and the Lakers have enough money to snag one of them. 

So my guess is they'd try to re-sign Gasol for the vets min to see how he pans out.  

in 2014 obviously their targets are Melo or LeBron.

In 2015 their targets are likely Rondo or Love.

In 2014 they'll try to get Melo or LeBron and re-sign the roleplayers that pan out this year as well as Kobe and try to get Gasol to come back for the min.

If that's successful then they will prep for 2015 when they try to sign Rondo or Love and also Nash's contract ends and he likely retires.

So if I were to take a wild guess I'd say their perceived goal entering the 2015 season is this roster

Rondo
Kobe
Johnson
Carmelo
Gasol

Farmar
Young
(Open)
Hill
(backup center)

Notable free agent role-players in the 2015 off-season:  Thad Young, Brendan Wright, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyson Chandler, Jeff Green, Dorell Wright, Paul Milsap.

Edited by lakersince75, August 25, 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#105 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:46 AM

I don't think Carmelo cares about a PR nightmare, at this point if he left NY no one would blame him.

He's the guy Kobe wants the most and that wants to play with Kobe most so he's the likely one should the Knicks fail this year..and they will.

And when has Amare ever stayed healthy lately?

#106 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I hope so because I don't see a Plan B. If we got Carmelo I'm still concerned with defense big time. 36 year old Kobe, 41 year old Nash and Carmelo (not exactly Ron Artest on D)  Anyway; we shall see

I don't think Carmelo cares about a PR nightmare, at this point if he left NY no one would blame him.

He's the guy Kobe wants the most and that wants to play with Kobe most so he's the likely one should the Knicks fail this year..and they will.

And when has Amare ever stayed healthy lately?

#107 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,965 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:36 PM

So I am looking at Sheridan sports salaries for the Lakers.. He is showing a salary for R.Kelly
I must be seriously late, because I thought he wasn't signed. Then again, he alson shows Duhons salary still.

http://www.sheridanh...s-and-analysis/
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#108 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:56 PM

Question for anyone willing to answer.

Is Jeremy Lin better than Farmar?

Please no "Farmar sucks! blah blah" baseless answers.    I really want to know, cause looking at Farmar's improvements he did make overseas as well as his accurate shooting he's seemed to develop and pick and roll as well as defensive advancement, I'm not so sure Lin is such a cut above him if at all.  Farmar at this point seems more seasoned than Lin as well as the better shooter and better Pick and Roller, that stint overseas seems to have done wonders for him.

So I'd like to know, is Lin better than Farmar?  Or is the margin so close that it doesn't matter?

Edited by Majesty, September 01, 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#109 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 02, 2013 - 03:04 AM

So I am looking at Sheridan sports salaries for the Lakers.. He is showing a salary for R.Kelly
I must be seriously late, because I thought he wasn't signed. Then again, he alson shows Duhons salary still.

http://www.sheridanh...s-and-analysis/

I think Ryan Kelly will be signed on a rookie-scale contract.

Duhon's deal was 3,75 million, I think, with only 1,5 being guaranteed. Those 1,5 is still on the books.

Question for anyone willing to answer.

Is Jeremy Lin better than Farmar?

Please no "Farmar sucks! blah blah" baseless answers.    I really want to know, cause looking at Farmar's improvements he did make overseas as well as his accurate shooting he's seemed to develop and pick and roll as well as defensive advancement, I'm not so sure Lin is such a cut above him if at all.  Farmar at this point seems more seasoned than Lin as well as the better shooter and better Pick and Roller, that stint overseas seems to have done wonders for him.

So I'd like to know, is Lin better than Farmar?  Or is the margin so close that it doesn't matter?

Hollinger is in my opinion one of the best analysts of the NBA and he's been saying for a long time, that he thought that Farmar was underrated and when given the chance, Farmar have been doing well, but with the lockout and playing behind guys like D-Will and D-Fish (for some reason) he never really have had a chance to show what he can do.

That being said, Lin is quite good. But he's such a weird player, that it's difficult to see if he's a plus or not.

Regardless, based on performance Lin gets the easy nod. Based on how I think they'll perform going forward, it is closer to a tie.

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 03:20 AM

I think Ryan Kelly will be signed on a rookie-scale contract.

Duhon's deal was 3,75 million, I think, with only 1,5 being guaranteed. Those 1,5 is still on the books.

Hollinger is in my opinion one of the best analysts of the NBA and he's been saying for a long time, that he thought that Farmar was underrated and when given the chance, Farmar have been doing well, but with the lockout and playing behind guys like D-Will and D-Fish (for some reason) he never really have had a chance to show what he can do.

That being said, Lin is quite good. But he's such a weird player, that it's difficult to see if he's a plus or not.

Regardless, based on performance Lin gets the easy nod. Based on how I think they'll perform going forward, it is closer to a tie.

sounds like a fair assumption. Thank you :)

Cause Iw as just really pondering this today lol

Cause I was thinking is Sessions and Lin really better than Farmar?  Cause it's like he's this unknown on our bench but when I think of him used in D'antoni's offense I get the feeling he'd be one of our best bench weapons but I was just making sure it wasn't just me, cause I thought, everyone is sorta counting Farmar out but.. is Lin even better than him?  Is Sessions?  Why can't he do what they did? Or at the very least what Sessions did for us till Deandre messed up his shoulder.

#111 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,467 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Farmar, not quite better than Lin, but you never know what this year brings

#112 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,165 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:14 PM

What would our best defensive unit be?

Assuming we sign Shawne Williams, perhaps:

PG: Jordan Farmar

SG: Kobe Bryant (when healthy)

SF: Wesley Johnson

PF: Shawne Williams

C: Chris Kaman

#113 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:59 PM

What would our best defensive unit be?

Assuming we sign Shawne Williams, perhaps:

PG: Jordan Farmar

SG: Kobe Bryant (when healthy)

SF: Wesley Johnson

PF: Shawne Williams

C: Chris Kaman

Well can't forget Jordan Hill :D he's there too.

And that my friends is what depth feels like =P

#114 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:15 AM

If we added Beasley, we would really start looking like a team that could cause a lot of problems. Sure, we'll suck defensively, but that could perhaps be fixed by a midseason-move or if guys like Wesley Johnson and Elias Harris make progress. Offensively, we'd extremely dangerous - especially if MDA starts to emphasize effectiveness of different shots (3s and close shots - not long, contested 2s).

If you put Nash-Kobe-Johnson-Hill-Pau on the floor as the starters, they could hold their own against most teams, and with a with a second unit of Farmar, Meeks, Nick Young, Beasley and Kaman, you have a lineup that could score on anyone.

#115 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:51 AM

If we added Beasley, we would really start looking like a team that could cause a lot of problems. Sure, we'll suck defensively, but that could perhaps be fixed by a midseason-move or if guys like Wesley Johnson and Elias Harris make progress. Offensively, we'd extremely dangerous - especially if MDA starts to emphasize effectiveness of different shots (3s and close shots - not long, contested 2s).

If you put Nash-Kobe-Johnson-Hill-Pau on the floor as the starters, they could hold their own against most teams, and with a with a second unit of Farmar, Meeks, Nick Young, Beasley and Kaman, you have a lineup that could score on anyone.

pretty much.  You could add Shawne Williams to that second lineup in place of Meeks spot and the lineup be

Farmar
Young
Beasley
Williams
kaman

And you keep the scoring but add length and defense(of Williams) along the wing.  

Our entire 2nd unit at that point(except Kaman) would be in their 20s.. and if you wanted to dictate instead of push tempo, swap out Farmar and put in Blake.   If you want to push tempo and run the 2nd unit out of the building, swap out Kaman and put in Hill.

That's what depth feels like :)

Edited by Majesty, September 05, 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#116 marbleman

marbleman

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Walter Ordjonikidze
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted September 05, 2013 - 11:51 AM

PG: J.Farmar

SG: Nick Young

SF: W.Johnson

PF: Jordan Hill

C :  Pau Gasol

second unit - St. Nash, K. Bryant, M.Landry, Sh.Williams,Ch.Kaman

third unit: - St.Blake, J.Meeks, E.Harris, R.Kelly and R.Sacre

and this roster will fight for the final playoff spot, same as last year and will get kicked out from the first round. The reason why, I am saying this is that I am realist. Team, still dominated from veterans in their declines, even Kobe, some below mid-level NBA pros like Yong, Johnson, Farmar, J.Hill & J.Meeks and undrafted rookies like M.Landry, E.harris and our own pic, NBA's future star, Ryan Kelly.

Write and remember my words.This formation of the Lakers will get embarased very often, even from lower-class teams, same as last year and we will lost more games at home. The main reason for my points are 3.

Bad coach, or lets just say, not the right one, GM, who has no idea of his job and an owner, who has no idea of the game of the basketball. His passion are the horses and horse-races.Great combination, right?

#117 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,467 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:01 PM

PG: J.Farmar

SG: Nick Young

SF: W.Johnson

PF: Jordan Hill

C :  Pau Gasol

second unit - St. Nash, K. Bryant, M.Landry, Sh.Williams,Ch.Kaman

third unit: - St.Blake, J.Meeks, E.Harris, R.Kelly and R.Sacre

and this roster will fight for the final playoff spot, same as last year and will get kicked out from the first round. The reason why, I am saying this is that I am realist. Team, still dominated from veterans in their declines, even Kobe, some below mid-level NBA pros like Yong, Johnson, Farmar, J.Hill & J.Meeks and undrafted rookies like M.Landry, E.harris and our own pic, NBA's future star, Ryan Kelly.

Write and remember my words.This formation of the Lakers will get embarased very often, even from lower-class teams, same as last year and we will lost more games at home. The main reason for my points are 3.

Bad coach, or lets just say, not the right one, GM, who has no idea of his job and an owner, who has no idea of the game of the basketball. His passion are the horses and horse-races.Great combination, right?

:smh: 

#118 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Kobe on the bench?

*Kicks dog*

#119 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 05, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Kobe on the bench?

*Kicks dog*

Animal Abuser! NSA, I hope your reading this. Every minute a dog is being kicked.

lol, Kobe coming off the bench, unless he harshly injured, is just stupid.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#120 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 05, 2013 - 06:30 PM

I could see mda having kobe come off the bench

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic