250 replies to this topic

• 40,399 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Nash/Blake/Farmar?
Bryant/Meeks
Young/Johnson
Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

We probably add another PF and were set.

Lakers need to add 6'8-6'10 guy. 

K-Mart, Brandan Wright, or LO.

yo.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,760 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Nash/Blake/Farmar?
Bryant/Meeks
Young/Johnson
Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

Not bad we just got alot younger, thats for sure lol. We probably add another PF and were set. We have 2 spots remaining after that so its up to training camp invitees to FORCE the Lakers to sign them with big showings and performances. They may want to leave a spot open for possible trades.

If we got two spots left they could be two from the summer camp.

I'd love it to be Selby and CDR.

But I have a feeling it will be CDR and someone else. 

Cause of how overloaded we are at guard.  Though Selby would be a GREAT pickup and a nice addition to keep around once Blake's contract ends after this season.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#43 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:29 PM

OP updated with projected lineup after Johnson signing

#44 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,712 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:39 PM

K-Mart, Brandan Wright, or LO.

We can't sign all 3, can we? Which one u think would help us the most?

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#45 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:41 PM

We can't sign all 3, can we? Which one u think would help us the most?

Odom most likely. 

K-mart is unneccesary as we have Kaman now. 

Wright is gonna go back to the Mavs

LO if he gets his mind right upon returning would be a nice pickup.

However I get the feeling after signing Johnson.  If we sign CDR from the summer league Lamar may not come.

But at the same time he could, as CDR and Johnson would be playing the 3 and the only 4 we have at the moment is Kelly so depending how that foot looks we may go out and get Odom off that alone

#46 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Despite the loss of Dwight Howard, I am very impressed with the work that the front office has done. 

Lakers needed to get younger and more athletic, they've done that, all while not sacrificing their 2014 plan.  

Bunch of young guys on one year deals that can potentially be re-signed to longer deals if they pan out.  

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Despite the loss of Dwight Howard, I am very impressed with the work that the front office has done. 

Lakers needed to get younger and more athletic, they've done that, all while not sacrificing their 2014 plan.  

Bunch of young guys on one year deals that can potentially be re-signed to longer deals if they pan out.  

And the kinds of players they are if they pan out have tremendous upside.

Players like Nick Young and Wesley Johnson people consider letdowns cause they never really reached their potential heights they could.  But they are both HIGH REWARD type players if they do pan out.

So not only did we get players on the one year deals that could get bigger deals from us if they pan out but we also got two players that have tremendous upside and give us tremendous benefit IF they pan out as well.

Edited by Majesty, July 13, 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#48 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,354 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:06 PM

steve blake or steve nash is going to be traded...

#49 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:08 PM

steve blake or steve nash is going to be traded...

Steve Nash no. 

Blake possibly at the deadline to shed salary to avoid the repeater tax. 

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Steve Nash no. 

Blake possibly at the deadline to shed salary to avoid the repeater tax. 

How much repeater tax does amnestying Metta save us?  I read somewhere we're only 3 million over it?

#51 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:20 PM

How much repeater tax does amnestying Metta save us?  I read somewhere we're only 3 million over it?

Per EP:

The rules have changed since the 2011 lockout. The tax rates climb significantly starting this season but jump even higher in future years for teams that are repeat tax offenders.

To get an idea of the jump, a total payroll of $90 million this season would result in $39.3 million in tax -- and the repeater rate would bump that up to $57.6 million.

If the Lakers can get out of the tax for two straight seasons, they'll avoid the repeater tax for at least the next three.

With almost all their contracts expiring after this season, the Lakers are likely to be below the threshold next season. The question becomes 2015-16. If the Lakers climb back into the taxable ranks, it would be at the repeater rate.

There's an argument to be made that the Lakers should get out of the tax this year, given the lowered expectations with the loss of Dwight Howard along with Bryant recovering from an Achilles' tendon injury. Sacrificing this year would enable the franchise to spend more freely over multiple years.

It might take dumping the contracts of Hill and Blake and replacing both with cheap players on minimum contracts, bringing the payroll slightly below $71.7 million to avoid the tax altogether.

With Johnson and the probability of adding one more player at the minimum, the Lakers will be at around $77.6 million.  So they'll be slightly over by 6 million. 

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Per EP:

With Johnson and the probability of adding one more player at the minimum, the Lakers will be at around $77.6 million.  So they'll be slightly over by 6 million. 

Not bad. So how much of a repeater tax would that be?

#53 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,354 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:23 PM

Per EP:

and moving steve blakes 4 million doesn't do anyting for them, unless they move another player... moving Meeks and Blake wont do it...

Other then moving Nash, lakers would have to move Pau

Or, maybe a Blake and Hill combo...
I don't know how much hill makes...
but the lakers HAVE to get under the lux tax

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:24 PM

and moving steve blakes 4 million doesn't do anyting for them, unless they move another player... moving Meeks and Blake wont do it...

I think the Lakers are willing to pay the tax it was just about saving themselves an extra 15 million by amnestying Metta that was the priority there.

#55 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Well I didn't mean moving Blake by himself.  

He would need to be moved with another player, which is what EP brought up with Hill. 

It really depends how well the team is doing by the deadline.  I could see them moving Hill/Blake for a cheap player & draft pick but we'll see. 

#56 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,354 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think the Lakers are willing to pay the tax it was just about saving themselves an extra 15 million by amnestying Metta that was the priority there.

This is the year to be under, to avoid the repeater tax...
With Dwight walking, the lakers are CLOSE to being under... might as well do it...

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:50 PM

This is the year to be under, to avoid the repeater tax...
With Dwight walking, the lakers are CLOSE to being under... might as well do it...

I think the Lakers are intending to compete no matter how feeble it had seemed.   Unloading Hill and Blake together for nothing puts a damper on that especially considering he's our starting power forward and Blake is our primary low mistake, moderate defender, top 10 in the league 3 point shooting point guard behind Nash. .

Cutting Metta I understand considering how quickly they've filled those spots. 

I don't think we'd trade Hill and Blake for a viable Power Forward capable of starting that's on a 1 million dollar contract.  I'm not even sure if that would work financially. Would it? And who would that power forward be? 

So I don't see us getting rid of Hill I think we're biting the sheets on this one from here on out and have cut as much as we want to. I  could be wrong though of course.   But I think unloading Hill would be too big a blow for us if we're trying to compete, which we obviously are.

Edited by Majesty, July 13, 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#58 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:53 PM

I think the Lakers are intending to compete no matter how feeble it had seemed. Unloading Hill and Blake together for nothing puts a damper on that especially considering he's our starting power forward and Blake is our primary low mistake, moderate defender, top 10 in the league 3 point shooting point guard behind Nash. .

Cutting Metta I understand considering how quickly they've filled those spots.

I don't think we'd trade Hill and Blake for a viable Power Forward that's on a 1 million dollar contract. I'm not even sure if that would work financially. Would it? And who would that power forward be?

So I don't see us getting rid of Hill I think we're biting the sheets on this one from here on out and have cut as much as we want to. I could be wrong though of course. But I think unloading Hill would be too big a blow for us if we're trying to compete, which we obviously are.

Like I mentioned earlier, it depends where the team is at the deadline.

If this team is out of the playoff picture or barely hanging on, they will trade those guys for picks or cheap players.

The repeater tax is a big issue. I'm not sure how much exactly but I know that it's a fairly big amount.

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,760 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, it depends where the team is at the deadline.

If this team is out of the playoff picture or barely hanging on, they will trade those guys for picks or cheap players.

The repeater tax is a big issue. I'm not sure how much exactly but I know that it's a fairly big amount.

yeah it's fairly big I heard that too.

I heard that amnestying Metta saved the Lakers a TON as well as Dwight deciding not to re-sign saving us even more.     
So I guess that's the good news :) 

We'd be in a much dire situation right now if Dwight had stayed and was getting 100+ Million right now.  So I guess it's fairly big, but not as bad as it could have been and would have been if Dwight was here + all these signings.

Did I get the math right or is the repeater tax a constant? Or does it change depending on how much over you are?

Gosh this new CBA is harder to Navigate then those old Prince of Persia Games on the Apple!!! :no:

#60 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Updated with Farmar signing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users