• 37,378 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 08, 2013 - 01:39 AM

Enjoy

Dr. Jerry Buss told Jeanie that hiring Mike D’Antoni was his decision

jerry-buss.jpg

According to Ramona Shelburne, the late Dr. Jerry Buss told his daughter, Jeanie, that it was his call to hire Mike D’Antoni instead of Phil Jackson last year:

Later on, the elder Buss explained to his daughter that the final decision on the hire had been his, and it was not personal towards Jackson. He simply saw the NBA heading in a direction that seemed to fit D’Antoni’s uptempo style.

While this isn’t news to some Laker fans, it will be to others, who have wrongly put the blame of hiring D’Antoni on Jim Buss.

Jerry always wanted to get back to the Showtime style of basketball that Magic Johnson‘s Lakers were so good at during the 80s. Hiring D’Antoni to coach Steve Nash and Dwight Howard seemed like a perfect fit.

Read More here:  http://lakerholicz.c...as-his-decision

Their Source:  http://espn.go.com/l...here?src=mobile

Have fun.

I understand why Dr Buss would think this.  The unfortunate thing is the point guard we got to attempt this with was about 2 years too late, and the other one got taken from us by Stern when this plan was initially set in motion after the lockout.

Edited by Majesty, July 08, 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,009 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 08, 2013 - 03:25 AM

Well plenty of reporters have said the two biggest factors were the supposed tension between Dr. Buss and PJ at that point, ranging from authority to financial PR moves. Secondly being that Dr. Buss at his age and point in health was genuinely sold on the fact that MDA was capable of Showtime 2.0.

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,453 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 08, 2013 - 03:33 AM

Well there ya go.

We can now end that pointless debate and try to focus on the future rather than the past.

This thread should so be Pinned.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,162 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:00 AM

There will still be people that blame Jim.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#5 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Jim still has the power to fire the dude.

#6 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,645 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:00 AM

jim buss is like a child, that would rather break his own toy, before let someone else use it

#7 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,812 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Why is this emerging only now, after Jerry's death?  I love it when deceased folks get the blame for something, see it all the time in my end of the business world.  Kinda hard for them to refute, clarify or confirm, no?

Most states have something called a dead mans law.  No one can testify against a deceased, claiming that he/ she said or did something. Makes sense.

But let's ignore all that, just for fun.  Final decision.  That means, despite MDA's  (at best) mediocre track record,  someone else made the initial determination that it was a good idea to hire him over Phil and brought it to Jerry.  Who could that have been?  At the time (mid Nov 2012), Jerry was 80 years old, dying of cancer.  Do we really think it was all objectively presented to him?  Do we think that Jerry had all his faculties to realize that he was getting less than the full story?  Let's be real here.  

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Why is this emerging only now, after Jerry's death?  I love it when deceased folks get the blame for something, see it all the time in my end of the business world.  Kinda hard for them to refute, clarify or confirm, no?

Most states have something called a dead mans law.  No one can testify against a deceased, claiming that he/ she said or did something. Makes sense.

But let's ignore all that, just for fun.  Final decision.  That means, despite MDA's  (at best) mediocre track record,  someone else made the initial determination that it was a good idea to hire him over Phil and brought it to Jerry.  Who could that have been?  At the time (mid Nov 2012), Jerry was 80 years old, dying of cancer.  Do we really think it was all objectively presented to him?  Do we think that Jerry had all his faculties to realize that he was getting less than the full story?  Let's be real here.  

It isn't. This has been said a long LONG time ago, but people like you continue to ignore it regardless of the truth.

You need someone to blame, but the guy you want to blame isn't around anymore and even so you liked him too much to blame him. 

You guys are no different than 9/11 conspiracy theorists. 

#9 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,057 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:00 AM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#10 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,812 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:00 AM

It isn't. This has been said a long LONG time ago, but people like you continue to ignore it regardless of the truth.

You need someone to blame, but the guy you want to blame isn't around anymore and even so you liked him too much to blame him. 

You guys are no different than 9/11 conspiracy theorists. 

First I have heard of the Jeannie quote.  

If you want to think that an 80 YO man dying cancer made the "real" decision here, feel free.  And its not about blame, Its about ducking responsibility.  Jim has been running the bball side of the team for quite awhile.  He was technically required to obtain final approval from his dying father.  If Jerry had all his faculties and made the real decision, I would be just as hard on him..

More than likely, Jim stated his case, Jerry nodded his head, then turned up the morphine drip a couple of notches.  Been there, seen it a few times.  No conspiracy theory needed.

#11 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:16 AM

First I have heard of the Jeannie quote.  

If you want to think that an 80 YO man dying cancer made the "real" decision here, feel free.  And its not about blame, Its about ducking responsibility.  Jim has been running the bball side of the team for quite awhile.  He was technically required to obtain final approval from his dying father.  If Jerry had all his faculties and made the real decision, I would be just as hard on him..

More than likely, Jim stated his case, Jerry nodded his head, then turned up the morphine drip a couple of notches.  Been there, seen it a few times.  No conspiracy theory needed.

Cool, thanks for the insight. Nice to hear a view from someone who was in the room.

#12 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:31 AM

LOL@People already in denial where it says it right here.

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#13 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:34 AM

There will always be dumbasses who think they know best about the organization.

#14 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,812 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Cool, thanks for the insight. Nice to hear a view from someone who was in the room.

Did I say i was there?  Sarcastic digs that attempt to (incorrectly) re-frame my points don't help you, they just make your counterargument look weak.  

Let's agree to disagree, and judge Jim on his record going forward.

#15 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Did I say i was there?  Sarcastic digs that attempt to (incorrectly) re-frame my points don't help you, they just make your counterargument look weak.  

Let's agree to disagree, and judge Jim on his record going forward.

lol

My counter argument looks weak, in the thread where there's literally a news article saying the OPPOSITE of what you're saying? You do realize if you scroll to the top of the screen there's a whole quote inside proving your entire belief on this subject wrong, right?

So again, what proof do you have? Oh that's right....you just know. 

#16 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,401 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:12 AM

People will believe what they want to believe.

It was well reported by the legitimate reporters that it was Jerry Buss who decided to bring D'Antoni in. Jim was in agreement but Jeanie & Mitch Kupchak wanted Phil Jackson. There was divide but what's done is done.

The front office has no more excuses starting next off season. For two years, we'll have financially freedom. We can sign two big name free agents plus sign two-four players using our full mid level exception depending how they allocate those funds.

#17 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Jim still has the power to fire the dude.

#18 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:15 AM

This is not even a new story. Are there still fans that never thing Jerry Buss chooses MDA? The same fans who think D12 will play for the lakers next year? Ignorant fans?  Dr Buss do make mistakes sometimes and unfortunately this is his last mistake he made. But Jim Buss still have the power to fire a coach. It doesn;t matter who wanted Mike D Antoni. What matters is the results and how to fix it and it is obvious the result sucks. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,101 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:23 AM

Why is he still here? Why was he hired in the first place? What made them think a perennial loser was the answer?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Why is he still here? Why was he hired in the first place? What made them think a perennial loser was the answer?

All this news tells me is that Jerry Buss was part of an awful hire. It makes me think a little less of him as a basketball-decision maker, not any better of Jim Buss. But, he's still had an unbelievable history. So if he were the one in still charge, I would more easily be able to believe in him after this mistake.

I don't think Jim was against it at all, so you can't really say he's any better because of this news.

Edited by Japago, July 08, 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users