Photo

Lakers teammates felt Dwight Howard was "intentionally" not running pick and rolls

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,154 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hmm this is some interesting insight... from ESPN.com

Apparently one of the reasons the Lakers also chose D'antoni was because they were sold on pick and roll sets. 

McHale and the Rockets had explained how they'd tailor their offense to highlight Howard, and D'Antoni was trying to convince him he hadn't given this other way a real chance. He hadn't, of course. The Lakers had studied his production in pick-and-roll sets in Orlando carefully -- before hiring D'Antoni -- and concluded that he had been an excellent player out of those sets with the Magic. But almost from the start, he seemed uninterested in and uninspired by the offense. It was a constant source of tension within the team during the season. His Lakers teammates complained both publicly and privately, frustrated to no end. Eventually after the All-Star break, Howard made a better effort to get on board, but he never truly embraced it. ESPN.com

Then you look up the stats that say when he did run the pick and roll he finished it 78% effectiveness for 2nd in the league.  If this report is true, then that would explain why some of his teammates don't see it as a big deal he's gone.    Sounds like it could have been Dwight's decision the whole time.  But alas...  that's probably another reason why he tried Kobe's patience, if the guy complains about touches yet is intentionally not running nor committing to pick and rolls when he is the BEST center in the game at it, especially with a point guard like Steve Nash or a guy like Kobe there is a problem. 

Suddenly all those times he wouldn't commit off rolls and would miss the pass or it'd go behind him cause he wouldn't look for it, or all those half hearted picks he used to set for Kobe and Nash and how he'd barely attempt to cut to the rim off some of them flashed in my mind.   

I understand completely now why both Nash and Kobe were frustrated with him AND why they have more confidence in Gasol at the 5.  

What a headache that must have been.

Thoughts? 

Edited by Majesty, July 07, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,246 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hmm this is some interesting insight... from ESPN.com

Apparently one of the reasons the Lakers also chose D'antoni was because they were sold on pick and roll sets. 

Then you look up the stats that say when he did run the pick and roll he finished it 78% effectiveness for 2nd in the league.  If this report is true, then that would explain why some of his teammates don't see it as a big deal he's gone.    Sounds like it could have been Dwight's decision the whole time.  But alas...  that's probably another reason why he tried Kobe's patience, if the guy complains about touches yet is intentionally not running nor committing to pick and rolls when he is the BEST center in the game at it, especially with a point guard like Steve Nash or a guy like Kobe there is a problem. 

Suddenly all those times he wouldn't commit off rolls and would miss the pass or it'd go behind him cause he wouldn't look for it, or all those half hearted picks he used to set for Kobe and Nash and how he'd barely attempt to cut to the rim off some of them flashed in my mind.   

I understand completely now why both Nash and Kobe were frustrated with him AND why they have more confidence in Gasol at the 5.  

What a headache that must have been.

Thoughts? 

With no disrespect Majesty, but I think we should all forget about Dwight and just move on. It's over, unless if Dwight changes his minded between now and July 10th.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3 Anansi1171

Anansi1171

Rookie

• 140 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm believing that he resisted being traded to the Lakers when it was "Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Brooklyn" out of Orlando. He was threatened to be traded to the Lakers, so he cannot have been in favor of it.

Not hard to believe he shammed the season, proof was in the pudding, so to speak.

Honestly, I watch that video of the Stan Van Gundy press conference after Dwight demanded his firing behind his back, and I feel fine.

#4 Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett

Rookie

• 134 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:54 PM

It seems D'Antoni was hired because they believed Howard would excel in his system.

#5 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,042 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Howard is a "fart in the wind."

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#6 Rad

Rad

• 1,644 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Seems like Dwight is a little [expletive] and used us purely to get himself out of Orlando, and as a temporary vacation.

#7 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:04 PM

No [expletive] he didn't put his body into any of them. 

#8 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:10 PM

No [expletive] he didn't put his body into any of them. 

True that. 

Every time they ran a pick and roll our guy with the ball was getting hounded because Howard never actually set a proper pick to give them any space. 

#9 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,291 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Lmfao, you guys still talking about Dwight

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I remember his screen setting we called out by many coaches in the first half of the season.

We also looked at the stats here about his post numbers and they were horrid.

A bunch of touches down there too.

#11 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,388 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Yes. Howard's picks were always soft. It was very obvious and was discussed several times in the gameday thread. Also all the commentators (ESPN/TNT/TWC) pointed it out.

However the excuse given was the recovery from surgery/injury and so he is hesistant.

BTW is Nov 14 still Dwight Howard day (Announced last year by Snoop) :)

#12 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,291 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Yes. Howard's picks were always soft. It was very obvious and was discussed several times in the gameday thread. Also all the commentators (ESPN/TNT/TWC) pointed it out.

However the excuse given was the recovery from surgery/injury and so he is hesistant.

BTW is Nov 14 still Dwight Howard day (Announced last year by Snoop) :)

snoop is an idiot, always was always will be.

#13 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:42 PM

He didn't do pick and rolls. He just did rolls. 

#14 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 08, 2013 - 03:38 AM

Q: Dont you remember the excuse given every time anyone questioned D12's commitment?
A: "Its because he's injured"

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,852 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 08, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Time for guys to move on.  He's gone.  He made his choice, doesnt really matter why he did it in the end. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,547 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Sometimes the why helps better understand the what.  for example, this could explain Kobe's attitude in the recruitment meeting.  

Debbie Downer

#17 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:56 AM

I remember people saying things to the effect of,

Dwight seems out of it..
Dwight looks lost

I think we all knew a long time ago he was leaving the lakers