324 replies to this topic

#301 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 01, 2013 - 11:52 AM

1375269379cf32b7170d.jpg

Melo kid wearing a Kings hat.  :D It's something...

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#302 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,622 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 01, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Carmelo loves living in Los Angeles.  A point that is undersold or oversold depending on what story ESPN likes to tell.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#303 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Carmelo loves living in Los Angeles.  A point that is undersold or oversold depending on what story ESPN likes to tell.

His wife already loves being out here. I think she spends more time in LA than NYC.

Edited by Chad, August 01, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#304 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,622 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:20 PM

His wife already loves being out here. I think she spends more time in LA than NYC.

He's mostly only in NYC during the season.

#305 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,173 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:47 PM

You guys will cling onto anything.

#306 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,622 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 02:59 PM

You guys will cling onto anything.

And you'll complain about anything :)

;)

Edited by Majesty, August 01, 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#307 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,173 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Not complaining, just stating that it doesn't mean anything of his son is wearing a kings hat

#308 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think I may be one of the few guys that want nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony.  I can't believe how overrated he is on these boards.  We have never faced a team with Carmelo on it and got that oh [expletive] feeling.  When the Lakers played OKC or the Heat I felt like damn we really have to play A+ ball.  Never ever feel this way against NYK or when he was in Denver.  Carmelo is good at one thing...scoring.  After that he is an avg to below average player in every other aspect of the game. 

Not complaining, just stating that it doesn't mean anything of his son is wearing a kings hat

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#309 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:23 PM

In an ideal world, Lebron + quality role players is a much better team than Lebron + Melo duo. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#310 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,622 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think I may be one of the few guys that want nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony.  I can't believe how overrated he is on these boards.  We have never faced a team with Carmelo on it and got that oh [expletive] feeling.  When the Lakers played OKC or the Heat I felt like damn we really have to play A+ ball.  Never ever feel this way against NYK or when he was in Denver.  Carmelo is good at one thing...scoring.  After that he is an avg to below average player in every other aspect of the game. 

The reason many feel the combination of Carmelo and Kobe or LeBron Carmelo and Kobe would be deadly is because of Carmelo's reduced role.

I won't go into a debate on Durant has Westbrook in OKC, and how LeBron has Wade and Bosh which pose more of a threat on their own than anyone Carmelo has ever had on the Nuggets or the Knicks so it's natural why you'd get an "oh crap" feeling with the Heat or the THunder and not with the Knicks or Nuggets, but I digress.

Carmelo on a team with Kobe or on a team with Kobe and LeBron would have his role severely diminished, the offense and initiating wouldn't be up to him.  He'd be pretty much settled into an off-ball role. 

And Carmelo on a team where the talent around him is good enough that he can actually settle into an off-ball role while being the 2nd or 3rd option on a team is a DEADLY team on talent alone.

If he had Kobe or he had LeBron on his team Carmelo would pretty much be asked to do one thing, move off ball and hit open shots on the primary, and occasionally create your own shot in iso if a play breaks down and it gets to you.

Carmelo Anthony in THAT kind of a role would be feared.  There's no question about that.   He no longer has to lead a team, he no longer has to be the guy that gets everyone involved.  He basically gets to do what he does best and that's a scary prospect.

That's why Lakers fans are high on Carmelo.  But the ONLY requirement that comes with their hype is that Kobe be there.

NO ONE is hyped at the prospect of Carmelo "leading" the Lakers with no Kobe, I'll tell you that much.

#311 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,360 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:49 PM

In an ideal world, Lebron + quality role players is a much better team than Lebron + Melo duo. 

That's how they won their championships isn't it?
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#312 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:08 PM

yeah that worked so well for the cavs.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#313 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 02, 2013 - 12:34 AM

LeBron already tried the former and he's shown interest in the latter. If you think LeBron facilitating and Melo scoring won't work, I'm not sure what will. 

#314 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 04:22 AM

I understand your stance and ideally that would be nice but its not that simple.  For one we are dealing with humans with egos and confidence in their game.  Even when the big 3 formed none of them expected it to be the Lebron show in the end.  Wade didnt really start to sacrifice his role until he started getting banged up again.  Melo left NY because he wanted that shine and that leadership role.  We are looking at it from a fans POV and I'm not saying you're wrong in your analysis of him not being a leader and shouldnt be a focal point.  I totally agree.  The problem is convincing Melo to leave a team and an org that has pretty much made him king to go to a team where he's going to be 2nd fiddle to a player at the time will be 36 yrs old? 

Too much has to go right in order for Melo to be a good acquisition that could make a championship worthy team.  We'd need to land a strong defensive C that can rebound in order to cover for Melo at the 4 and we'd need to hope a better leader via FA is available b/c Kobe isnt going to last at a Finals caliber level 3-4 years from now. 

The reason many feel the combination of Carmelo and Kobe or LeBron Carmelo and Kobe would be deadly is because of Carmelo's reduced role.

I won't go into a debate on Durant has Westbrook in OKC, and how LeBron has Wade and Bosh which pose more of a threat on their own than anyone Carmelo has ever had on the Nuggets or the Knicks so it's natural why you'd get an "oh crap" feeling with the Heat or the THunder and not with the Knicks or Nuggets, but I digress.

Carmelo on a team with Kobe or on a team with Kobe and LeBron would have his role severely diminished, the offense and initiating wouldn't be up to him.  He'd be pretty much settled into an off-ball role. 

And Carmelo on a team where the talent around him is good enough that he can actually settle into an off-ball role while being the 2nd or 3rd option on a team is a DEADLY team on talent alone.

If he had Kobe or he had LeBron on his team Carmelo would pretty much be asked to do one thing, move off ball and hit open shots on the primary, and occasionally create your own shot in iso if a play breaks down and it gets to you.

Carmelo Anthony in THAT kind of a role would be feared.  There's no question about that.   He no longer has to lead a team, he no longer has to be the guy that gets everyone involved.  He basically gets to do what he does best and that's a scary prospect.

That's why Lakers fans are high on Carmelo.  But the ONLY requirement that comes with their hype is that Kobe be there.

NO ONE is hyped at the prospect of Carmelo "leading" the Lakers with no Kobe, I'll tell you that much.

#315 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 04:29 AM

I'm just not a guy that gets caught up in the hype of names.  If LA wants to go the all star route and get young stars best thing is to wait til 2015 and go after Love and Rondo.  I've watched Melo too long and outside of scoring he's borderline bench worthy in impact.  Melo is the guy that every Kobe hater thinks Kobe is.  "Chucker that doesn't play defense and can't play within an offense".  That's Melo to the T.  While a lot of that can be mitigated with other forces, Kobe isnt that guy that can mitigate that.  Melo needs a great PG and coach to maximize him on offense correctly and a strong defensive team lessen his horrible defensive play.  He had that in Denver btw.

#316 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:19 PM

Carmelo Anthony will almost certainly opt out of Knicks contract, could join LA Lakers

“As far as ruling anything out, I haven’t even, to be honest with you, thought about anything past today,” Anthony said on Saturday in Queens, where he was hosting a youth camp. “My mind is not even thinking about next season, next offseason right now. I’m just trying to do what I do this offseason to get right, work out, train and get right and prepare myself for this season. When that time comes, I’ll deal with that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2ayymv1ic

#317 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,364 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 04, 2013 - 04:18 AM

I don't give a crap if we get Melo if its going to cost 20 mil per year. If Melo doesn't give us a discount as Wade LeBron and Bosh took, it won't matter. And which star would Melo have a secret conversation with to bring with him??  Kobe, Melo and Nash just won't get it

#318 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Pretty much one of the huge factors in why I don't want him.  If he comes alone he will just be an overpaid scorer that will get us to the 1st round max. He's not a leader and come 2014 Kobe will be 36.  That can't be our 2 most effective guys on the roster

I don't give a crap if we get Melo if its going to cost 20 mil per year. If Melo doesn't give us a discount as Wade LeBron and Bosh took, it won't matter. And which star would Melo have a secret conversation with to bring with him??  Kobe, Melo and Nash just won't get it

#319 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:56 AM

additionally, he'll be 30 -- on the tail end of his prime.

Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

#320 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,204 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:39 AM

in one of my NBA2k franchises, Melo joined the lakers...

it didn't end well for them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users