62 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 26, 2013 - 04:02 PM

No teams were looking to reup Young for any substantial amount of money.  Young may have turned down a 1yr deal at 2M vs taking a 2yr 2M to play with the Lakers.  Lakers have a situation where he could play himself into a better contract so turning down an extra 1M to play with a non contending team isn't like he turned down the deal of a lifetime to play with the Lakers.

Philly did the same thing last year.  They gave him a 1yr 5M dollar deal but they also gave Kwame Brown 2yr 6M deal with a player option! Lol..let that sink in

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 Twenty_Four

Twenty_Four

Rookie

• 246 posts
  • Fav. Laker:black mamba

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:52 PM

clips really like our sloppy seconds lol 

Posted Image

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:59 PM

^ They just wanna' stick it to us trying to show us they know how to make use of these players better than we did.

yo.

#44 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:33 AM

Usually teams and players never cite how much they offered a player unless it was a huge mega star but Nick Young did catch some interesting from the Dallas Mavericks and Sacramento Kings both teams that were well under the cap and would have gave him much more than the vet's minimum I personally believe.

http://www.sbnation....-angeles-lakers

I'm not gonna lie the Clippers have the better team and we'll see how Jamison fits but I still think we have the better leftovers despite Jamison being a tremendous player in previous years.

Not saying you did it, but why do so many here want to claim that a player had "better offers" but signed with us for less, if they dont have the facts to back up the claim?  And is a "better offer" more money from a perpetually bad team?

Nick Young has alot to prove and this could be his last NBA chance.   And I know what he can do, the body of work is not impressive at all.  I just hate to see the roster spot and minutes taken by a gunner when we could have found a young guy with potential to try to develop for the future. 

#45 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:36 AM

^ They just wanna' stick it to us trying to show us they know how to make use of these players better than we did.

I think for the first time in their history the Clipps in recent years actually have someone thinking through a roster, evaluating talent and trying to win.  I don't think they give a rip about us.  It's natural that their are players moving back and forth in the same town I guess.

#46 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:40 AM

clips really like our sloppy seconds lol 

And apparently we like theirs as well then.  

Jamison was waiting for the Clippers to say "yes" to him, not the other way around.  He had no intention of coming back to us, actually skipped his exit interview.  So he jilted us ... for the Clippers.  The sooner we accept that reality and the obvious issues it points to, the faster this thing can be rebuilt.

#47 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,645 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:14 AM

yeah cause Antawn Jamison leaving is the "message" of change lol

The reality is Jamison wouldn't have gotten anything outside of Rashard Lewis playing minutes if Hill never went down. 

Clippers can have him :)

Have immense respect for Jamison though but he would have rotted on the bench this year if Hill remained healthy. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#48 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:58 AM

Dont really understand why the Clippers signed him, not a Rivers kind of player.  They sure took their time.  Mullens was a nice pickup and it seem like they could have attracted another player more like him to play backup 4.

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Mullens was a nice pickup.

A 7 foot 39% shooter from the field? Really?

yo.

#50 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:21 AM

A 7 foot 39% shooter from the field? Really?

Yeah really.  You need to dig a little deeper than that.   He basically didnt play his first 2 years in the league and then got sent to the Cats where he played in an undisciplined offense for a lousy coach with a pretty bad team.  Not sure what or where his ceiling is, but it is likely considerably higher than he has shown thusfar.  This is the exact kind of young project player we should be looking for rather than Nick Young types.

I think the Clipps can live with his less than stellar shooting if he just rebounds, plays defense, clogs up the middle etc.  His FG% will go up considerably, just watch.  Rivers wont let him take all those ridiculous 3's he took in Charlotte. And he will often be on the floor with Crawford, Collison, Barnes against other teams' backup centers.  He is certainly not of starting caliber but he is an upgrade from Odom and Turiaf as is, and has the potential to develop into much more.

This is the kind of pickup that signals to me that the Clipps FO actually has a clue now.

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:23 AM

A lot of players have "potential". Nothing is guaranteed. If he couldn't impress me that much in Charlotte with all the opportunity and playing time in the world, I'm not so sure he can suddenly change all that just with a change of environment and even less playing time & opportunity.

yo.

#52 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:38 AM

^I guess we will see how it pans out for him and the Clippers.  This will be his first opportunity to get 2nd string backup minutes on a team with a real coach surrounded by competitive players.   It is a calculated risk by the Clipps, no question, but a good one in my view.

The chances are good, by mid-season, Lakers fans will be moaning about Nick Young's game and could be wondering where this kid Mullens came from and why the Clipps signed him for basically nothing, how the Clipps assembled so many shooters, and how suddenly the Clipps figured out how to play a little defense.

It sucks having the same building rival actually blossom into a real NBA team, but it is reality.  We are now the ones without a clue.

#53 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Not saying you did it, but why do so many here want to claim that a player had "better offers" but signed with us for less, if they dont have the facts to back up the claim?  And is a "better offer" more money from a perpetually bad team?

Nick Young has alot to prove and this could be his last NBA chance.   And I know what he can do, the body of work is not impressive at all.  I just hate to see the roster spot and minutes taken by a gunner when we could have found a young guy with potential to try to develop for the future. 

What young guy could we have found though?...

I'm positive when you say young guy with potential you're expecting a Danny Green type guy but those players don't just come out of the blue.  The Lakers gave Glock, Morris, EBanks, and several other names the past few seasons numerous chances but they all failed to contribute at an adequate level.  Young is a low risk high reward type guy, so is any "young guy with potential".  What makes Young better though is that he's atleast shown the NBA several sparks of solid play.

Edited by lakers1o1, August 27, 2013 - 05:07 PM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#54 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:52 PM

^Finding those guys takes the expertise to evaluate young talent, which we don't currently have.  The Spurs certainly have it.  The former Denver GM was amazing at it and he'll be good in Toronto too.  Whoever is drafting in Atlanta seems to have made some really good choices this year.  And THAT GUY at Golden State can pick 'em.

Memphis, OKC and Orlando have been pretty good at it lately too.

You get the point.  Instead we  settle for re-treads and wishful thinking in the form of guys like Nick Young.

#55 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:00 PM

^Finding those guys takes the expertise to evaluate young talent, which we don't currently have.  The Spurs certainly have it.  The former Denver GM was amazing at it and he'll be good in Toronto too.  Whoever is drafting in Atlanta seems to have made some really good choices this year.  And THAT GUY at Golden State can pick 'em.

Memphis, OKC and Orlando have been pretty good at it lately too.

You get the point.  Instead we  settle for re-treads and wishful thinking in the form of guys like Nick Young.

You're argument is flawed in numerous aspects.  the Spurs obviously have always had a solid scouting team along with OKC (probably best two scouting teams in the league) but outside of those 2 teams every other team has been mediocre at best) aside from GSW and Denver whom didn't really establish their teams through drafts but rather trades in my opinion.

BOLD = Good Pick, RED = GARBAGE

Orlando Draft Picks: 2005 11th (Fran Vazquez???), 2006 11th (JJ Reddick), 2007 (High Pick), 2008 22nd (C Lee), 2009 (None), 2010: 29th (Daniel Orton), 2011 (High Pick), 2012 (Andrew Nicholson)

Nuggets Draft Picks: 2005 20th (Julius Hodge), 2006-09 (No Picks/High Picks) 2011, 22nd (Kenneth Faried), 2012 20th (Evan Fournier)

Golden State Warriors: 2005 9th (Ike Diogu), 2006 9th (Patrick O'Bryant), 2007 18th (Marco Bellini), 2008 14th (Anthony Randolph), 2009 7th (Steph Curry), 2010 6th (Ekpe Udoh)  2011 11th (Klay Thompson), 2012 7th (Harrison Barnes)

Memphis Grizzlies: (Only one of their 1st round draft picks since 2005 is still with the team (Mike Conlay Jr. 4th pick 2007) They had KEVIN LOVE at 5th in 2008 and traded him for O.J Mayonaise enough said on their behalf.

The Lakers haven't had a top 15 draft picks since Andrew Bynum at 10th in 2005, and the 2nd lowest pick was Crittenton Gun Show at 19th in 2007.  It's not rocket science that a majority of great players come from low picks and its something the Lakers just haven't had due to (great records and rings, as well as some unecessary trades that involved picks) regardless I think you get the point, if not then idk.  The argument you made was basically saying a Lakers 2nd round pick or Summer League player this year > Nick Young...............

Edited by lakers1o1, August 27, 2013 - 07:07 PM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#56 I still miss OTR

I still miss OTR

Rookie

• 140 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Devean George

Posted August 28, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Good to see one of my all-time fave plrs on my fave team! :)

I'm still mad the Lakers lost to the C's in the Finals a few yrs ago!

ofznnl.png

facebook.com/BenchOnAQuest

#57 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Good to see one of my all-time fave plrs on my fave team! :)

It's good seeing an actual real Clippers fan unlike alot of the bandwagoners.  Much Respect

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#58 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,645 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 28, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Dont really understand why the Clippers signed him, not a Rivers kind of player. 

They haven't made many signings that are.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#59 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:36 PM

You're argument is flawed in numerous aspects.  the Spurs obviously have always had a solid scouting team along with OKC (probably best two scouting teams in the league) but outside of those 2 teams every other team has been mediocre at best) aside from GSW and Denver whom didn't really establish their teams through drafts but rather trades in my opinion.

BOLD = Good Pick, RED = GARBAGE

Orlando Draft Picks: 2005 11th (Fran Vazquez???), 2006 11th (JJ Reddick), 2007 (High Pick), 2008 22nd (C Lee), 2009 (None), 2010: 29th (Daniel Orton), 2011 (High Pick), 2012 (Andrew Nicholson)

Nuggets Draft Picks: 2005 20th (Julius Hodge), 2006-09 (No Picks/High Picks) 2011, 22nd (Kenneth Faried), 2012 20th (Evan Fournier)

Golden State Warriors: 2005 9th (Ike Diogu), 2006 9th (Patrick O'Bryant), 2007 18th (Marco Bellini), 2008 14th (Anthony Randolph), 2009 7th (Steph Curry), 2010 6th (Ekpe Udoh)  2011 11th (Klay Thompson), 2012 7th (Harrison Barnes)

Memphis Grizzlies: (Only one of their 1st round draft picks since 2005 is still with the team (Mike Conlay Jr. 4th pick 2007) They had KEVIN LOVE at 5th in 2008 and traded him for O.J Mayonaise enough said on their behalf.

The Lakers haven't had a top 15 draft picks since Andrew Bynum at 10th in 2005, and the 2nd lowest pick was Crittenton Gun Show at 19th in 2007.  It's not rocket science that a majority of great players come from low picks and its something the Lakers just haven't had due to (great records and rings, as well as some unecessary trades that involved picks) regardless I think you get the point, if not then idk.  The argument you made was basically saying a Lakers 2nd round pick or Summer League player this year > Nick Young...............

I don't mind a good debate with an honest intellectual, don't mind being proven wrong.  I DO mind, twisted logic and garbage selective cites of facts to prove a flawed point.

1.  Orlando.  The CURRENT GM and coach have been in place for, what, a year?  My post clearly says that they have drafted "pretty good lately."  You choose to analyze their draft history back to 2005.  Let's look at LATELY:

2012  Andrew Nicholson  Bad pick per your analysis.  You provide ZERO information to back up your claim.  He was considered the most skilled big man in the 2012 draft, has shown some promise in limited minutes in his rookie year (last year), considered part of the good young core for Orlando.  The Magic remain high on him.  Will he be any good?  Time will tell, but to conclude that he is "garbage" at this point is silly.  It was and remains a good choice by Orlando, time will tell if he works out or not, with some PT.

2013  Victor Olidipo  You don''t even bother with him (probably couldn't make the facts fit your premise).  He was considered the best or 2nd best SG in the draft by the scouts.  Orlando needed a SG.

Denver.  Ujiri (who I specifically cited as the talent evaluator in Denver) is gone now, but he drafted Fornier in 2012 (too early to conclude anything, but you've already decided it was a "bad" pick ... based upon ... nothing),  Faried in 2011 which even you are forced to acknowledge was a good pick).  Ujiri became Denver's GM in 2010 ... yet you want to talk about Denver picks back to 2005?  

GSW.  I clearly was referring to Jerry West, yet you want to talk about picks back to 2005.  West got there in 2011.  Oh ... gee .. he drafted Thompson and Barnes.  Oops, they're are your good list!

I can keep going but frankly it's not worth it.

I don't post BS assertions that I can't back up, like a good number of folks here do.  You will gain much more credibility on this board by not posting garbage and also trying to twist someone's else words.  

#60 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 02:11 PM

I don't mind a good debate with an honest intellectual, don't mind being proven wrong.  I DO mind, twisted logic and garbage selective cites of facts to prove a flawed point.

1.  Orlando.  The CURRENT GM and coach have been in place for, what, a year?  My post clearly says that they have drafted "pretty good lately."  You choose to analyze their draft history back to 2005.  Let's look at LATELY:

2012  Andrew Nicholson  Bad pick per your analysis.  You provide ZERO information to back up your claim.  He was considered the most skilled big man in the 2012 draft, has shown some promise in limited minutes in his rookie year (last year), considered part of the good young core for Orlando.  The Magic remain high on him.  Will he be any good?  Time will tell, but to conclude that he is "garbage" at this point is silly.  It was and remains a good choice by Orlando, time will tell if he works out or not, with some PT.

2013  Victor Olidipo  You don''t even bother with him (probably couldn't make the facts fit your premise).  He was considered the best or 2nd best SG in the draft by the scouts.  Orlando needed a SG.

Denver.  Ujiri (who I specifically cited as the talent evaluator in Denver) is gone now, but he drafted Fornier in 2012 (too early to conclude anything, but you've already decided it was a "bad" pick ... based upon ... nothing),  Faried in 2011 which even you are forced to acknowledge was a good pick).  Ujiri became Denver's GM in 2010 ... yet you want to talk about Denver picks back to 2005?  

GSW.  I clearly was referring to Jerry West, yet you want to talk about picks back to 2005.  West got there in 2011.  Oh ... gee .. he drafted Thompson and Barnes.  Oops, they're are your good list!

I can keep going but frankly it's not worth it.

I don't post BS assertions that I can't back up, like a good number of folks here do.  You will gain much more credibility on this board by not posting garbage and also trying to twist someone's else words.  

Your entire argument up to this point has been BS and garbage...

Basically what you stated was that the Lakers should have decided to sign a 2nd round pick, undrafted player, or another available free agent rather than Nick Young  :turrible:

For Orlando, you said they have drafted, "pretty good lately."  drafting isn't to difficult when you have the 2nd overall pick... Victor O is a beast and we all know it, why would I even have to mention his name... he was the 2nd pick for crying out loud he better good...

As for the Nuggets, as I have stated their team was built through great trades, not draft picks.  Faried was no doubt a great pick and possibly the biggest steal of that draft but the Nuggets team was primarily built on trades not picks.  Ujiri had a 3 year stint with the team and did great, I wish him luck in Toronto.

You gave no reference to Jerry West at all in your post...  And even if you want to mention his name,  any organizations front office consistent of alot more than just a single individual.  The Warriors have made great picks under West, but take note that ex GM Larry Riley drafted Steph Curry and also made the trades in order to acquire David Lee.  Larry Riley is now actually the director of scouting and Bob Myers (not Jerry West) is the GM.  West is just a consultant.

Basically your argument revolves around drafting players but you don't even realize that the teams you mention have had top 15 picks numerous times in the past 5 seasons... It's not difficult to draft a good player with a high pick everyone knows that.

Believe me I can go all day long on and on but the fact that you yourself stated 

"You get the point.  Instead we  settle for re-treads and wishful thinking in the form of guys like Nick Young."

Extremely irritates me because you act like the Lakers had talent within their summer league team or as if their was some diamond in the ruff player that wasn't signed...

To summarize my statement so you can understand in much more simple terms is basically this.  The Lakers have been a solid team therefore they don't have great picks.  Without great picks, you can't draft great players.  When you can't draft great players you sign players via Free Agency. 

O.V.E.R :stu:

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users