Photo

The Lakers need a point guard (according to a new interview with Phil Jackson)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Anansi1171

Anansi1171

Rookie

• 17 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:55 PM

What the hell can we give the C's for Rondo?

Gasol has to be included in such a deal, and we'd have no front court.

Agreed, they don't want our old cast offs. I think they want as many dice rolls as possible to land Wiggins. They aren't going to make the mistake they did in shooting for Tim Duncan with just one pick. They are looking at a rebuild following the OKC-playbook and they are valuing picks, especially in this draft. 

They may or may not value Pau's expiring, or Jordan Hill or assets from a third team. 

The Celtics are talking Rondo up for trade value. No way in hell is Rondo staying around for a rebuild in his prime. No way! Did Chris Paul? 

Rondo wants the Lakers. And Rondo would go a long way towards convincing LBJ to want the Lakers.

If this is Plan B, its better than Plan A imho. If its a pipe-dream, its worse than no other.

But I Trust in Mitch, I Want Phil, and Im looking forward to 2014!

#42 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 788 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:25 PM

What's our financial situation like to possibly land Melo and Rondo in 2014?

Rondo/Blake
Kobe/Sasha
Melo/??
?? /??/Hill
Gasol/Hill

#43 Turbo

Turbo

Rookie

• 97 posts
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 08, 2013 - 01:51 AM

Aaron Brooks?

#44 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,011 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:02 AM

oh really...

because the fans have been saying this since 2010... nice to finnaly come around

#45 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:18 AM

As I said months ago before all this went down with the coward of a Howard. John Wall is the best answer when it comes to free agency. Youth and athleticsm! 6'5 and faster than Westbrook! Oh and is a real point guard. Clearly he wouldnt be the only piece but what we have been lacking for years now to compete with the league. Kobe shouldnt be obligated to hold point guards at his age. As of now we do need a point guard, small forward and a center plus a bench. With Kobe and Pau being the only pieces worth mentioning, Wall is the answer to compete with the likes of Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Paul, Curry.. The size to defend also shooting guards and Oh Phil does like big point guards

#46 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 698 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Wall and Melo would be nice.

#47 Blax

Blax

Rookie

• 503 posts
  • Name:Blax
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Threatt, Rodman

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Am i the only that sees nash +cash/picks/gasol going to celtics for rondo.

"those guys" would be retarded to agree to a trade like this. But hey, I'm all for it.

#48 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,441 posts
  • Name:Chao❤Wade
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:32 AM

I still think Nash could be of great use, but I agree that we need a younger, faster PG who can also D up.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#49 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,953 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 08, 2013 - 11:16 AM

the PG has to be able to shoot, create for himself & others and play solid defense. hopefully a guy with at least 5 yrs experience in NBA

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#50 Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett

Rookie

• 65 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 08, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'm sure they're trying to find a way to get Rondo here this season. It will be trickier to get Wall in 2014 (restricted FA).

#51 Intense34

Intense34

Rookie

• 11 posts
  • Fan Since:You were born
  • Fav. Laker:West

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:13 PM

No kidding, we've needed a PG for awhile now...

#52 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Nash is 38 years old and done! His passing lanes get cut off by longer more athletic point guards because his speed is lacking... There will always be room in the NBA for bigger point guards because even after the speed is gone, they still have their size (Payton, Kidd, Stockton, Harper). Wall is 6'5 and is working with Gary Payton as we speak! Iguodala would have been great to put along side Kobe also at the small forward position. He could have helped out alot for defensive and athletic deficiencies we have. We still need a big man beside Pau. Chris Kaman might be a tough enough body but we have to see. My ideal starting 5 would be

Wall

Bryant

Iguodala

Gasol

Kaman

Iguodala is with the warriors now so finding a guy that is athletic, can shoot and plays exceptional defense is what should be in mind plus speed at the guard position off the bench like we used to have in Farmer, Brown and sasha.

This is a Phil type team(Athletic and defensive minds that can play in a system) and even D'antoni can win with this team because its athletic and fast at the point guard position.

Edited by GeeQ, July 09, 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#53 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,597 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 09, 2013 - 11:18 PM

And a bench and a coach, too.

Forgot those.

Posted Image

#54 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 10, 2013 - 04:11 AM

Sigh, LA is no position to get a player like Rondo.  Guys always want to point at that Kwame was traded for Pau but don't acknowledge the full trade and what was involved.  Memphis wanted out of Pau they felt he couldnt lead a successful team and took expiring contracts and draft picks for him.  Pau wasnt considered who he was during the championship runs at that time.  Just a soft big man with great skill with nice numbers. 

LA doesnt have the draft picks and Pau makes nearly 20M a year.  It doesnt matter if its an expiring.  Even to trade for Rondo Boston would more than likely include LA having to take back Gerald Wallace's contract.  Plus unlike Memphis Boston doesnt have any connection to Jerry West.  This is another thing that fans conveniently overlook.  Boston could get way more value for Rondo than Pau at this stage. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#55 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,953 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 10, 2013 - 05:43 AM

well i hope PJ didnt tell them to bring in Farmar. SMFH

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#56 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,729 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 10, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Jerry West left the Grizzlies organization in the offseason of 2007, well before the trade was executed in February 2008.

The idea was to get Marc all along. Memphis was overseas watching him play, and they knew.

Those two draft picks were Greivis Vasquez (who Memphis eventually traded for Quincy Pondexter the following season) and Donte Greene (traded on draft night for Darrell Arthur). Those picks weren't slated to be decent...both ended up being 28th in the draft.

Word was that the Spurs were kind of high on him, also, but felt that Tiago Splitter was the better prospect...and then, when Marcus Williams fell to the second round (the one out of Arizona, who was supposedly the next Steve Smith), San Antonio wasn't going to pass on him...and yet, they waived him that October/November, lol.

#57 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Rather have Wall than Rondo

#58 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:10 AM

John_Wall_lakers.png

#59 ajhidel

ajhidel

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Fan Since:1962
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry west

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Trade with Celtics aint happening.

Kwame Brown (9 million exp. contract), Marc Gasol, Javaris C. for Pau.

#60 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:41 AM

If Kobe takes a pay cut which I believe he will. (Kobe always works the media) The Lakers will have money to offer two max contracts and a 16 million a year salary. I dont believe in getting two max players like melo or lebron but building a TEAM. Paul George, Wall, Cousins combined with Kobe and Pau and a bench which blake, young and hill would still be on! Kobe has always been looking for his Pippen (George)

Edited by GeeQ, July 15, 2013 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users