#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 02:25 AM

POPULAR

I posted these in gameday topics throughout the year, and I just had to go through and find a few. I'm a huge Dwight supporter (his game), but I'll follow up the ONLY issue I had with him throughout the season AND over the course of his career...

BDH9PpmCIAA4Cet.jpg

1356314252_kobe-death-stare-mike-brown.g

tumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o2_250.giftumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o1_r2_250.gif

Dwight is a superstar. Kobe is definitely one (although on his way out of it). Carmelo and LeBron are superstars.

But, Dwight and Melo seem very similar to me, in that they don't quite understand why they are playing basketball for max money. Much like LeBron in 2009, 2010, and 2011...you get a feeling they are having far too much fun out there, regardless of the production.

Something changed in LeBron James, and instantly, he brought home two championships.

We lost the best center in the NBA. I'm not happy about it. However, we also lost a player who never took our season as seriously as he should have, and my gut tells me Dwight truly believes he doesn't have to learn from failure, and maybe when the dust clears, that's what truly separates the greatest superstars from those who never reach that pinnacle.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 02:27 AM

Bill Plaschke may write an article to make you feel better about things (and you know I have no problem doing that, haha), but visuals are usually undefeated.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,649 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 07, 2013 - 02:41 AM

You are correct and spot on Real Deal. 

I did notice that about Dwight a lot and had a feeling that may have been something they clashed on.

Dwight is always "I'm not gonna stop smiling or change the way I am. This is who I am"  

Smiling when you're losing important games. 

Even Carmelo who was notorious at that after carrying the Knicks for 2 straight seasons didn't seem none too happy THIS year when his team was losing to the Pacers

460x.jpg

Eventually you have to get to the point where something means enough to you.  And Carmelo in that game 1 loss looked like he was going to cry sitting right next to Chandler whom actually WAS crying, I remember it cause I was sad seeing it cause I AM a fan of Chandler and love his passion for the game and its contagious to fans too.

Never have I seen Dwight show that same kind of emotion THIS year.

He would get aggravated with the refs, he would make meaningless fouls, he would get frustrated, but I never saw him get upset that we LOST, he always seemed upset at the circumstance surrounding himself or a turmoil he was dealing with(refs etc) but not really the team.

That's why when the team lost but he was okay he was smiling at the end of games.  But if the team lost and the refs didn't call it his way, or if he didn't get his, THEN he looked upset.

That is something he and Kobe probably clashed on, and Kobe challenged him, and he ultimately chose rather than accept the challenge he wanted to go "have fun" in Houston, where he expects them to play Orlando Magic basketball hoping that the style will carry him to a championship because he sees it as "Orlando just with James Harden" he has said so.    Even when he got ejected in game 4 against the Spurs WHAT he was screaming to Mitch was about the referees... THAT was what was pissing him off.

Dwight will blame the system, he will blame the refs, he will blame the coach, he will blame the GM, bet your bottom dollar had we failed under Phil(due to injuries, bad luck or whatever) he would have blamed the triangle and left anyway.

He will blame everybody and everything...but Dwight and THAT is his problem.

Edited by Majesty, July 07, 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:01 AM

The topic is almost more about Kobe, and how thankful we should be for him as our franchise player since 2000 (co-franchise player back then). Dwight assists us in understanding (even more than before) how rare a player of Kobe's caliber really is, the combined skillset + mentality that was huge in closing the gaps after Showtime, and then once again, post-Shaq.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,649 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:13 AM

The topic is almost more about Kobe, and how thankful we should be for him as our franchise player since 2000 (co-franchise player back then). Dwight assists us in understanding (even more than before) how rare a player of Kobe's caliber really is, the combined skillset + mentality that was huge in closing the gaps after Showtime, and then once again, post-Shaq.

Agreed.

But even when you think about it I notice that trend in win and losses by players that can reach those levels.

Shaq too was that way when it came to basketball and losing.

He may have been lazy in training but he gave it on the court.

When the Magic got swept and when the Lakers got swept he cried. bawled his eyes out.

Kobe cried too.  That's how much the wins and losses mattered to them.  That's why they were able to come back and win a championship together. 

It's rare you find players that care THAT much nowadays, especially in a superstars body.

You are right when you say Real Deal that Kobe is one of those rare breeds indeed and I hope once the chapters have closed on his career that the Lakers are able to bring him one more happy ending. 

You brought up a point as well about Jordan and his Bulls teammates how seriously they took basketball on the court and how Jordan ensured it.

It made me think about the role players we've had, and how much the game meant to them.  People like Derek Fisher who is infamous for his tears when the Spurs were about to knock us out and who broke down and cried in the locker room when he was the reason we won game 3 against the Celtics.    Wins and losses mean so much to people like them and that is why I think Kobe gravitates towards them.    Even players like Gasol, when we win and when we lose you see how it effects them, I could count on one hand how many times I've seen Pau Gasol smile in the midst of a devastating loss or Derek Fisher even if I had no fingers as its close to or equal to zero ;) 

That is why Kobe gravitates to the likes of Gasol, and Metta, and Derek Fisher or even freaking Sasha, and why Dwight tried his patience to no end. 

There won't be another player like that which gives it his all physically AND emotionally like Kobe for a long long LONG time.  Because sadly is this an era where many superstars have a "There's always tomorrow" mindset, rather than a "There IS no tomorrow" mindset that he does. 

+1 3 times.

Edited by Majesty, July 07, 2013 - 03:16 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:25 AM

Awesome post. I really enjoyed reading it!

It makes you appreciate Kobe so much more, how much he puts his body on the line each night and gives it his all. His work ethic is second to none and we wont see a guy like him for a long time. There will always be superstars like Dwight, guys who are out there to have fun and entertain fans. Guys like Kobe dont come around often though, they are a special breed.

#7 L@keRmade™

L@keRmade™

Lakers4life

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:51 AM

Dwight just doesn't seem to have the mentality of Kobe, he doesn't have the desire to win and win at any cost. It's almost like he's in the NBA to have fun, play basketball and pick up his paycheck like that's all he wants. But if he really does want to win a championship like he says, he needs to change his mindset and focus on just winning and winning at any cost and using losses to motivate him more and more instead of laughing it off.

That's just how I look at it after seeing him this year with the Lakers.

Posted Image

#8 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:52 AM

Actually look al the Lebron example, its the perfect case. Guy comes in and everything is handed to him, the money, praise, fame and his own image. Well after a while you're expected to produce. We all remember the goofing around in Cleveland, the dancing, taking pictures, props and all that stuff. Once he saw the media and public digging into him, he knew he had to get serious. In Miami in the playoffs how many times do you see angry and focused expressions, yelling and trying to focus his teammates. Wasn't smiling so much anymore, now sure he might lighten up again seeing as being back to back he has 'no worries' but he knew he had to put all the playing around and be serious.

If enough people tell you something, then there just might be something to it. In case pointing to Howard's constant goofiness. We all remember his supposed pre game speech during the last or second to last game of the season, guy joking around and spoofed 300.

#9 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Which is why the Dwights are better as a 1A option than being the "man".   I think he knows that as well and while put off by the Kobe types in one way, he knows he needs that type in the end.  Maybe Harden ends up being t for him, and I think he knew that he needed a younger version of  a Kobe type.

#10 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:04 AM

At this point it just seems he never cared. I'm sure if in Houston they suck, he won't be smiling. Houston will be good, so he will still be smiling

#11 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,764 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:14 AM

Good post. Few have the mental makeup of Kobe. The Woj article goes into more detail about how Dwight's departure is reflective of him. He wants the easy way out. I wonder how that harden dh dynamic will be. Bill Plashcke is like a bottle of boone's farm; nothing good comes from it.

#12 j0k3r

j0k3r

Rookie

• 295 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Shaq, KOBE

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:22 AM

loved the post..never really thought of it that way.. but we are definitely very lucky to have such an amazing player as our franchise player

#13 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,962 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Dwight Howard is a 7 footer with the heart of a 5 footer

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#14 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,212 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:42 AM

I was screaming it all season...

why is Dwight always smiling...

lakers are down 20, and Howard is still smiling and having a great time on the bench....

people would attack me, when I pointed out how much I hated Dwight and his smiles...

those 2 picks with Kobe mad... and Dwight happy... taken at the same time, in the same game is priceless....

Dwight is the lovable loser..

Kobe is the mad-competitor who wants to win...

For all bynums faults, at least he wanted to win, at least he took it seriously...

At least Bynum was intense... Bynum would be thrown elbows, and putting people on the floor when his team is down, not sitting on the sidelines making jokes and smiling...

#15 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,962 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I posted these in gameday topics throughout the year, and I just had to go through and find a few. I'm a huge Dwight supporter (his game), but I'll follow up the ONLY issue I had with him throughout the season AND over the course of his career...BDH9PpmCIAA4Cet.jpg1356314252_kobe-death-stare-mike-brown.gtumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o2_250.giftumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o1_r2_250.gif

Disgusting. Dwight Howard is dead to me. I'm just gonna sit back & watch as the Jeremy Lin led Rockets never win A Championship

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#16 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:53 AM

You guys are funny

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I would not say Melo and Dwight are the same.

Kobe likes two players in the league. Melo and Caron. Both in my opinion have the heart of Kobe.

Now work ethic is different. I think Bron has the work ethic but will never be a pure killer like Kobe, Iverson and Bird to name a few.

Dwight had the worst experience in LA, one could possibly have.

Lets rewind to Sessions. He left claiming he was afraid to get traded and went to the worst place possible.

He couldn't make it in LA. A Rod wasnt built for NY.

But back to Melo, that Knick team was burnt out. Kidd couldn't hit a shot. JR couldn't hit a shot. And no one else has offensive relevancy other than Melo.

Trade Pau for Melo and let's see him up close.

#18 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I would not say Melo and Dwight are the same.

Kobe likes two players in the league. Melo and Caron. Both in my opinion have the heart of Kobe.

Now work ethic is different. I think Bron has the work ethic but will never be a pure killer like Kobe, Iverson and Bird to name a few.

Dwight had the worst experience in LA, one could possibly have.

Lets rewind to Sessions. He left claiming he was afraid to get traded and went to the worst place possible.

He couldn't make it in LA. A Rod wasnt built for NY.

But back to Melo, that Knick team was burnt out. Kidd couldn't hit a shot. JR couldn't hit a shot. And no one else has offensive relevancy other than Melo.

Trade Pau for Melo and let's see him up close.

LeBron doesn't have the killer instinct?  Carried his team down 13 in the 4th quarter of an elimination game and hit an enormous 3 with time running down on the clock to give his team a chance to win an improbable game 6, then put up huge numbers in game 7, both elimination games.  The LeBron not being a killer thing is so beyond played, the stats speak for themselves.  

Trade Pau for Melo?  I'm sure the Knicks would do that, seems totally plausible.

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:14 AM

LeBron aint a killer.

He has his moments but forget stats. It's the eye test.

Shaq wasn't a killer.

Pau isn't a killer.

Worthy was.

#20 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,962 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:22 AM

LeBron aint a killer.
He has his moments but forget stats. It's the eye test.
Shaq wasn't a killer.
Pau isn't a killer.
Worthy was.

Lebron is becoming a Killer. I always give credit where credit is due

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users