Photo

Bill Simmons & Jalen Rose Preview OKC Season (Pg. 3); What Is OKC Doing?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 aluren

aluren

Rookie

• 10 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 12:07 AM

The worst the thunder gets, the better chance the lakers can acquire kd or westbrooke in the future.

#22 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 07, 2013 - 12:14 AM

The worst the thunder gets, the better chance the lakers can acquire kd or westbrooke in the future.

Namely Westbrook, whether it be his UCLA ties or in the near future OKC having to decide the KD/Westbrook mix isn't the way to go. Honestly sometimes scoping Ainge's stance on Rondo, seems we have a better shot at Westbrook if at all in the future.

I just think OKC being reticent since trading OKC opens them up for much more criticism, as opposed to being active. Hindsight is everything.

Edited by Ven21, July 07, 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#23 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:10 AM

That's nice & all, but how do you think that makes Durant & Westbrook feel, who probably wanna' win now, especially Durant? Not only are you basically settling and to some extent conceding potential championship runs, but at the same time, you're also wasting away precious years of both of these guys' primes.

Sitting on chips isn't necessarily settling. Sometimes the best move is not to move, and if the two star players don't recognize that, then they should be prompted to it

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#24 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,516 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 07, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sitting on chips isn't necessarily settling. Sometimes the best move is not to move, and if the two star players don't recognize that, then they should be prompted to it

Patient owners and FOs recognize that, players and fans rarely do.  The Harden trade will haunt them for a long time.  I thought they should have moved Westbrook instead, if they had to move one of them.  His skills would have been missed less and easier to make up for.  Competent PGs are relatively abundant and somewhat cheap right now.  The then second best (some would say best now) SG in the league who can dribble, create his own shot, finish in traffic etc is a rarer commodity.  if Presti were drafting well, maybe this would not be as big of an issue.

Debbie Downer

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:53 AM

IIRC Harden OK'd taking 4-year 60mil deal but Thunder wouldnt offer that much.

They lost the chance to play 3-4 years in a row in finals before Durant would take control of the league and dominate without Harden anyway. Now not so much. Houston has a legit standing to cockblock Thunder in future.

Its really unbelievable how this so called genius Presti couldnt foresee this.

If or when Durant and or Westbrook become to grow frustrated enough to potentially want to leave, that's when Presti & the rest of that OKC FO is really gonna' feel the consequences of their foolish mistakes. This Martin Lawrence "Bad Boys" clip will be more than applicable then:

Warning: Some explicit language.

Edited by    , July 20, 2013 - 09:54 AM.

yo.

#26 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:14 AM

OKC is just allowing their young players to grow and develop by giving both Jeremy Lamb and Reggie Jackson an opportunity to make some noise off the bench next year.  Yeah losing Martin was a big hit, but they still have youth and that 12 million off the books is quite nice.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:29 AM

^ What about Perry Jones The Third? Isn't he said to have tremendous upside & potential? He still in their plans?

yo.

#28 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,902 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 20, 2013 - 01:53 PM

They shouldn't have traded Harden, that's their first mistake.

Their second mistake is trading him to an inter-division team.

Their third mistake was receiving that terrible package that they did.

What they should have done was amnesty Perkins, re-sign Harden, trade Ibaka or Westbrook and move forward.

Westbrook can net you a Rondo (who makes less) type player in today's market, if not more.

Overall, just a complete collapse since they had their asses handed to them by the Heat last year. They literally did everything they shouldn't have.

Edited by Triple Ocho, July 20, 2013 - 01:53 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#29 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,349 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted July 20, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Westbrook and Rondo is a lateral move imo  

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Rondo is obviously much more of a true & natural point guard so he would do a far superior job of involving his teammates & racking up assists, but the problem there would be that OKC doesn't have that many weapons as it is and what they need more right now is scoring. What good is involving your teammates immensely when most of them aren't that good and won't always finish the plays for you?

I just think Westbrook's superior scoring is needed right now in OKC more than Rondo's playmaking & creating for others would be. If they had more weapons around them/better role players, I might feel differently, but since that's not the case, Westbrook's fine.

yo.

#31 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:09 PM

honestly.. a starting Harden and Durant is a greater combo than Westbrook and Durant... I still think the thunder would be eliminated but those two fit each other better. 

would love Westbrook, but he takes some out right stupid shots some times

ap1.png

#32 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Westbrook is not a championship caliber point guard right now.  He has a lot of mental work to do before he gets there. And the Thunder are counting on him being that right now.

Harden balanced that team out, calmed them down in tense situations and gave tremendous punch defensively and offensively while taking defensive attention away from Durant and Westbrook.  Again - awful deal they made, and all because they didn't wanna pay him.  Finances over winning loses every time.

They had a rare chemistry there and I still don't think they're going to recover it any time soon.

They'll fail this year and Westbrook will start to rumble about getting out of there.  They'll be forced to deal him for nickels on the dollar.  You'll hear talk of ousting Scott Brooks and Durant will wind up just another superstar stranded and looking for help to the championship like so many others before him and around the league.

#33 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:18 PM

They should have kept Durant and Harden, traded Westbrook for Rondo (which was on the table, at one point), and hit Perkins with the amnesty clause.

Quite frankly, I also think that, if the Thunder needed to deal Ibaka to save money, they should have done that as well. Ibaka is a shot-blocker, but he doesn't anchor a defense like a Howard or Garnett, and his limited offensive game (combined with that) makes him expendable.

Keeping Harden means they can get away with trading a scorer like Westbrook. However, losing him means you eliminate both scoring and playmaking, and an unselfish all-star player, despite how he performed in the Finals (don't understand all of the hate...it happens), so at this point, the Thunder need Russ.

I believe Perry Jones spent most of the year recovering from his injury. He should be fine this year, though, and hopefully, OKC gives him a chance. He's talented.

#34 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Rondo/Harden/Durant

That's scary

Pau Gasol is GONE

#35 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Remember a while back when I said Lakers should focus on KD because OKC will lose its appeal through the next 3-4 seasons? And as usual you all hated on me, said I didn't know wtf I was talking about and how KD would be a player that was loyal to his first city he played with? Lol. While most of you have began to hug Brons nuts tight, I stand by my statement. KD will end up a Laker.

Edited by LakersGAFan, July 21, 2013 - 09:07 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#36 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:31 AM

He won't.

#37 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Anyone who thinks KD will ever become a Laker is insane.

I see him with OKC for atleast another 7 years.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#38 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:26 PM

They should've traded Westbrook for cp3. Or maybe even Dwight Howard if that was open (I think it was)

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,463 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I see Westbrook still gets no love.

Hasn't Kobe( and Nash) taught you guys that FG% is vastly overrated.

wWestbrook gets EVERYBODy easy shots, easy rebounds, he makes energy plays, he can play off ball or on, his athletic ability causes many problems.

If anything, they should have never let go of Green for Perkins. That was the HUGE mistake.

Secondly, if you trade Harden, why do it for a rental?

More importantly, THIS IS THE FATE OF TEAMS THAT TANK. Period. You get Durant, and while he grows into a great player, you get some really good pieces, but you can't pay them all, then you don't factor in chemistry, you only look at numbers9money and stats) and before you know it, OKC will be BACK to being an 8th seed and Scott Brooks will get fired, then eventually they lose Westbrook and Durant.

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,463 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Rondo/Harden/Durant

That's scary

on paper, but not without capable bigs, just double off Rondo, and force KD and Harden to beat you from outside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users