#1 I still miss OTR

I still miss OTR

Rookie

• 140 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Devean George

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Anthony Bennett owes a lot to mom

McDonald's All-American dreams of reaching the NBA and repaying his mother

HENDERSON, Nev. -- The cadence in his voice slowed, and Anthony Bennett's face turned momentarily solemn when he spoke last week of his mother.

Here in the Nevada desert, he plays basketball for renowned Findlay Prep and attends the Henderson International School. Edith Bennett remains 2,000 miles away, although he'll see her this week in Chicago before the McDonald's All-American Game (9:30 p.m. ET Wednesday, ESPN).
She worked two jobs to support Anthony as a child in greater Toronto. Still does, in fact, rising before 6 a.m. for an eight-hour shift as a nurse at a rehabilitation hospital. A 30-minute break follows before eight hours on staff at a mental institute.
rn_bennettfamily_ms_300.jpg

A single mother, Edith moved to Canada from her native Jamaica in 1980. Anthony, her youngest of three children, was born in 1993. Sometimes, while she attended college in preparation for her nursing career, Anthony went without lunch at school. She had nothing to send with him. (...)

rn_anthonybennett1_ms_200.jpg

Anthony Bennett's No. 1 goal is to reach the NBA and make sure his mom doesn't live with the burden of working two jobs anymore.

It didn't happen as he hoped. The hamstring injury kept Bennett out of several big games, including a January win over Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas and premier prospect Shabazz Muhammad.
"To be honest, it was really hard for me," Bennett said. "I was happy and cheering for my team, but off the court, I was mad." (...) "I tell him not to pressure himself," Edith said. "He's a kid. He's not supposed to take all that responsibility on his shoulders."

Source:

http://www.jamaicans...ed=1#post709675

jamaica.jpg proud_jamaica.gif

I'm still mad the Lakers lost to the C's in the Finals a few yrs ago!

ofznnl.png

facebook.com/BenchOnAQuest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users