Photo

Formula to becoming a title contender. What path do you choose?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,234 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:10 AM

We're not going to tank just drop that part Idk why you guys continue to think we will tank!

#42 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:13 AM

He said Dec at the latest. October is one day in the NBa season.
So you figure 15-20 games at the most with no Kobe.

Emphasis on "he said".

I hope he's right, because he's my favorite player and he's highly entertaining. I don't want him to be hurt. But, we are still waiting on a real time table.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#43 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,918 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:18 AM

We need a good slogan for wiggins

#44 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:23 AM

We have to see what Mitch has planned...

I believe they have a plan to get Kobe at least 1 more shot...until they have made their attempt, we can't know what direction is even available.

And Kobe's not carrying this team or any other to the Finals at his age.  Duncan had Parker AND Manu AND Popovich and still lost.

The truth is we need to start to move on.  If we had Dwight, Kobe would have at least a chance at winning in the next 3 years.  Without Dwight, that's not likely...and we aren't in position to make moves better than keeping Dwight...

#45 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:35 AM

We need a good slogan for wiggins

Scared of Lexington, but perfect for L.A.: Tank for Wiggins

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#46 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Scared of Lexington, but perfect for L.A.: Tank for Wiggins

Someone's still sporting "sowr gwapes"...

Seriously, dude...you guys landed 4 or 5 guys from the top 10 in the NATION and you're upset you didn't land Wiggins?

LOL...you're still my dude tho...

#47 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:46 AM

For all of you opposed to tanking, please explain to me what are we going to accomplish next season? We were not going to win a championship with Dwight Howard, so what makes you guys think we are going to win one without him?

We can't end up like Dallas. For the longevity of this franchise and for the future, we are going to have to make sacrifices, and that includes the 2013-2014 season. This is a long term investment. Unless if we miraculously end up with a superstar like Lamarcus Aldridge to pair up with Pau Gasol down-low, we are not going to do any damage next season. I would not be surprised if Kobe Bryant will have a meeting with Mitch and Jim sometime this week to discuss what is the future of the team, and what direction will they take. 

As MDI previously stated, next year's draft is deep. Even if we do not land a top 3 pick, we can hopefully get a top 10. Right now, many of us are want Mike D'Antoni gone. If we are going to tank, you keep him. D'Antoni is perfect for tanking. First, he does not know how to win. Second, de will let his players just any offense they want, and just chuck up shots. Then, as we near the trade deadline, hopefully Pau, Blake, World Peace (If not amnestied), and Nash's stock goes up, and we can receive a first round draft pick for them in 2014. Hopefully with multiple first round picks, we can even trade up in the ladder. 

This league has changed. If there is one thing you should know about this league basing off the last three years, it is that you will never know what happened. LeBron leaving Cleveland for Miami? Allen signs with the Heat? Rivers coaching the Clippers? Pierce and Garnett traded to the Nets? Who would of predicted last year that Howard was going to leave the Lakers and sign with the Rockets?

You see what Houston did. They acquired Harden as their "seller" or to help be part of their selling point, and they've used him to bring in other stars and build around him. This is why I keep saying that if it is possible for us to acquire Rondo, you do it. Why? Because you can sell to free agents that you already have an all-star point guard to help you lead the way, and you can potentially sign one or two superstars who want to team up and form their own super team. You shut down both Rondo and Bryant for the 2013-2014 season, tank, get youth via draft, sign a superstar, and hopefully we can be back in contention.

2014 and 2015 are big years for the Lakers. Most due to free agency, and the draft. We cannot screw up. These next two years, if executed properly, can help us get back into contention quickly. After this season, you can fire Mike D'Antoni. I would not be surprised if he and his brother resigned during the season though. Phil Jackson needs to be part of our future. He needs to be involved when we are selling and reaching out to free agents. Let's say we are making a push for LeBron. Jackson is the only one that can say, "I've coached the two players that you've been most compared to - Jordan and Bryant. I've built a system that helped them win and expand their game, and I can help you too." 

Mitch and Jim have a back-up plan. We just have to wait and see. Go Lakers.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#48 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:46 AM

The easiest way by far is to get

Wiggins, Parker or smart and eventually sign some star who hits free agency

I doubt it ends up being that easy. But they'll get there. One way or another
Posted Image

#49 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,042 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Seriously does one year you know before the beginning of the season that you won't be a "title contender" really worth tanking over?   Think about it.

Tanking also likely wouldn't work.

We have Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant, Jordan Hill

We're not gonna be one of the bottom 4 teams in the league.

There's teams a LOT worse than us that could tank a lot harder than us without trying.

Tanking is a stupid idea.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#50 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Some teams tank for years and end up with nothing...

This draft has a Lebron James caliber once in a generation player, and many that will make a big difference 7-10 deep.  Tank.

#51 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Honestly...the Lakers don't have to tank.

All they have to do is take this team into the season...the rest will take care of itself...LOL.

#52 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:58 AM

We have to see what Mitch has planned...

I believe they have a plan to get Kobe at least 1 more shot...until they have made their attempt, we can't know what direction is even available.

And Kobe's not carrying this team or any other to the Finals at his age.  Duncan had Parker AND Manu AND Popovich and still lost.

The truth is we need to start to move on.  If we had Dwight, Kobe would have at least a chance at winning in the next 3 years.  Without Dwight, that's not likely...and we aren't in position to make moves better than keeping Dwight...

He just had Dwight, and a younger Pau, and a younger Nash, and had absolutely no chance of winning a ring, he had a WAY better chance of straight up not making the playoffs and without a heroic effort from Kobe would have completed the collapse of not making the playoffs.  Dwight Howard is a good player, Kobe is twice the player he is with one achilles and 34 years old, he has won, and carried this team on his back, more than Dwight can say.

#53 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:03 AM

kieranmcgovern_hibernation_brown_bear_vi 

for a year, then...

bang-hi.png

Posted Image

#54 Turbo

Turbo

Rookie

• 97 posts
  • Fan Since:1984

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:08 AM

I sure hope there is a plan B other than Jim sucking on his thumb.

Wonder if we can get Dirk, the Mavs are sinking faster than us

#55 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Aren't we trying to get younger?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#56 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Are you high.  Why get Dirk and compete.  LeBron James is a free agent, among multiple other great players next season AND there is a deep draft.  Just face it, the Lakers are going to suck next season, and they would have sucked a little less with Howard, but they aren't winning anything for awhile either way.  

#57 Blax

Blax

Rookie

• 517 posts
  • Name:Blax
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Threatt, Rodman

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I choose A, Lakers don't tank - it's not in our blood. 

#58 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Someone's still sporting "sowr gwapes"...

Seriously, dude...you guys landed 4 or 5 guys from the top 10 in the NATION and you're upset you didn't land Wiggins?

LOL...you're still my dude tho...

I was joking (a little). Not getting Wiggins is good motivation for what is still the #1 class in the nation.

There are questions about whether or not Wiggins is truly willing to embrace the spotlight. Questions he will have plenty of opportunities to answer. I suspect he'll be up to the task, but it will take him some time.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#59 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,778 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Lakers continue to get healthy and try to win each game, hope for a deep playoff run.

A healthy Kobe, Gasol and Nash should be an immediate goal, while management looks at adjusting our roster in the meantime.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#60 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 779 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Tanking is a stupid idea.

I don't think tanking is necessarily a stupid idea; that seems kind of harsh when MDI makes some good points. 

HOWEVER, I don't think it's worth too much time thinking about because I don't think it will happen. The reason being, unlike those other teams is that the Lakers are an established brand with an established image that tanking is not consistent with--even if it were a viable strategy to getting back on top. They would rather sell the idea of "we're close; just a move or two away from being an elite team". That may be just an illusion, but welcome to Hollywood. And it's an illusion that the buyers of the Lakers brand are more than happy to blissfully consume. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users