Photo

Formula to becoming a title contender. What path do you choose?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,931 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Seattle drafted KD, they sucked big time.

Got Westbrook. They still sucked. Got harden. They were an 8th seed. Went to one Finals and now they have no Harden.

Ten years my ass. One year thus far.

Dude...they did it intentionally, what part of that do you not undestand? Rookies are not gonna lead you to tile runs immediately. They let him score the ball at will but they didnt give a rip about winning.  They accumulated assets and thats why they had Harden/Ibaka/Westbrook/Durant in a title run

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#22 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,471 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Win as many games as you can(I hate the idea of tanking. This team is probably going to miss the playoffs even without tanking) and build through the draft.

We need to get younger. It'd be nice if we could get Rondo or some other young talent but it probably isn't happening. The Lakers should try to build through the draft, get some young cornerstones. 

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:48 AM

2014.-2015
Jennings
Kobe
Batum
Love
Cousins

Nash and Pau off the bench.

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Dude...they did it intentionally, what part of that do you not undestand? Rookies are not gonna lead you to tile runs immediately. They let him score the ball at will but they didnt give a rip about winning. They accumulated assets and thats why they had Harden/Ibaka/Westbrook/Durant in a title run

One Finals in however many years. Just like Orlando and CLE and all those other teams who tank.

#25 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:49 AM

why? What's KB gonna do? March into Buss's office and demand the team make moves and threaten to leave if acquisitions aren't made? Lol....who's gonna pick up KBs salary? Nobody. When KB blew hurt his Achilles he also hurt his influence
. sad but true but what he says means nothing now. If he demanded a trade he may be doing Buss a favor by making his mission easier.

Kobe's contract has a no-trade clause and is untradeable anyway.  Noone will hand over 30 mil in salary for a 34y/o player and Kobe won't want to go to a team that's had to be gutted to get him.

Now you guys are starting to see why Kobe's pitch was one of the worst things he could have possibly done.  He's not the man.  He's got a ridiculous contract that the Lakers couldn't get value for if they tried and he makes it hard for anyone to work with him unless it's on his terms.

Now, the Lakers are stuck trying to convince another team to send us help AND take our trash...all to help Kobe get 6th and 7th?  Didn't Mitch and Jim already get him help?  Brought in BOTH Howard AND Nash?  While being over the CAP?  For Andrew Bynum and LO?

WOW.

But people are getting what they asked for.  It's Kobe's team.  What are we gonna do with that?

Like I said, Lakers needed Dwight MUCH MORE than they needed Kobe going forward.  Now people will start to understand what that means...

#26 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,931 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:50 AM

2014.-2015
Jennings
Kobe
Batum
Love
Cousins

Nash and Pau off the bench.

Jennings is a chucker. No Thanks.

Batum/Kobe/Love. Im on board

Cousins is a problem child and 2 he's a restricted free agent with the Kings, they're not trading him...especially to the Lakers and 3) we dont have anything to give the Kings in order to get Cousins

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Kobe gave us 5 titles.

And DWIGHT said, what was reported was NOT TRUE. Regarding Kobe's pitch.

Just like we know Jerry wanted MDA but still people love the narratives that fit the targets they like to aim at.

#28 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,471 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:53 AM

One Finals in however many years. Just like Orlando and CLE and all those other teams who tank.

You're speaking as if the Thunder's run is over. Even without Harden they may have represented the West if Russ didn't get hurt. If you don't see the difference between OKC and the Cavs and Magic IDK what to tell ya

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Jennings is a chucker. No Thanks.

Batum/Kobe/Love. Im on board

Cousins is a problem child and 2 he's a restricted free agent with the Kings, they're not trading him...especially to the Lakers and 3) we dont have anything to give the Kings in order to get Cousins

We'll have future first rounders.

Jennings is a checker on THAT team. He wouldn't be here.

Cousins will get mature enough. Sheed did and he was a far bigger baby.

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:55 AM

You're speaking as if the Thunder's run is over. Even without Harden they may have represented the West if Russ didn't get hurt. If you don't see the difference between OKC and the Cavs and Magic IDK what to tell ya

Lol. Just watch what has happened and stop PROJECTING.
How will RW bounce back? Will Durant have his first big injury? Kevin Martin is gone? Perkins is regressing. Ibaka not enough.

So far one Finals with no title.

#31 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,931 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Dorrell Wright to the Blazers. I dont think the Lakers even have to try to tank, the roster is absymal as it is even after we add whatever remaining free agents

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#32 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,471 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Lol. Just watch what has happened and stop PROJECTING.
How will RW bounce back? Will Durant have his first big injury? Kevin Martin is gone? Perkins is regressing. Ibaka not enough.

So far one Finals with no title.

So far one Finals with no title when the core of their team hasn't even peaked yet? That's pretty damn good. They have a good core. They'll be top 2 in the West again and challenge for the crown. Russ will bounce back. He didn't have a serious knee injury that could curtail his career.

They're young, they're explosive, they haven't peaked, they play defense. That team is miles different from Orlando and Cleveland for the simple fact that they actually have a second star. Orlando never got Dwight a sidekick. Ditto with Cleveland for LeBron. But OKC has Westbrook.

#33 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Gcmd. We get it. You blame Kobe for Dwight being gone.

And probably for Shaq too.

Bet u loved the five rings though.

I'm done playing nice.  I don't really give a blank what y'all think anymore.  It's over and done with.  If you don't like my opinions, that's your problem, not mine.

I said exactly what I meant and I stick by it.  You can keep clinging to Kobe's boxers all you want but everyone else knows that HE screwed himself out of a legit chance as a key player in a 6th and 7th Championship.  His "know-it-all" attitude and condescending pitch pushes everyone away.

But it's over now.  Time to ask the hard questions...

And guess what?  None of the solutions involve a 35 y/o SHOOTING GUARD leading the Lakers to a Championship for the next 3-4 years...

You wanted Dwight gone?  Now he's gone.  Didn't think that far ahead, did you?

And get off my back.  I'm entitled to my opinion on Kobe just like you're entitled to rant about MDA, Jim Buss and Mitch.

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Poor Lakers fans. We never have anything to cheer for. Maybe Wiggins can save our 4 year title drought in the LeBron era.

#35 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I remember Boston tanking for the Oden/Durant sweepstakes....I believe they ended with maybe the 5th pick. Once those results happened, well their Big 3 and we know the rest. As well historically many team tanked for Duncan, Rose, and Yao. All of which their respective teams had amongst the lowest odds of obtaining the overall pick. It doesn't even matter how deep the draft is, free agents will always exist.Tanking is never the solution, ever. If a team tanks, then hey are historically inept.

We have only ever missed the playoffs 5 times in our history, come on people.

#36 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Keep an eye on Kobe's health. If he can't return until February, then what are you really gunning for this season?

Nash can net you a draft pick. Pau can get you a pick.

Outstanding daft coming up. It's going to be really frustrating if we miss the play-offs but leave ourselves with slim odds at the #1 pick and wind up picking 13th.

With Dwight leaving, though, we do have the unexpected ability to add some salary past 2014. Whether that is via trade, or by signing someone to the MLE for 4-5 years. That (unnamed) piece could be a nice contributor to a Pau/Nash/Hill team with Kobe returning by December.

Still, we gotta hire Phil so we can attract a FA next year, IMO. Somebody will want the LA spotlight. Let's make it even brighter.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#37 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:04 AM

I remember Boston tanking for the Oden/Durant sweepstakes....I believe they ended with maybe the 5th pick. Once those results happened, well their Big 3 and we know the rest. As well historically many team tanked for Duncan, Rose, and Yao. All of which their respective teams had amongst the lowest odds of obtaining the overall pick. It doesn't even matter how deep the draft is, free agents will always exist.Tanking is never the solution, ever. If a team tanks, then hey are historically inept.

So, Boston tanked and turned their pick into Ray Allen. Not shabby.

San Antonio let David Robinson rest (see Kobe) and wound up with Duncan + 4 rings.

Again, this draft is really, really deep.

Edited by UKUGA, July 06, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#38 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,205 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Some teams tank for years and end up with nothing...

#39 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Why is everyone acting as if Kobe is washed up? He just carried a injury plagued team to the playoffs averging 27/6/6 while carrying injuries himself. Yes, he has had a serious injury but this is Kobe we are talking about. I wouldnt be surprised if he plays another 3-4 years still averging numbers around 28/5/5. One thing he has to do is take a big pay cut for this team to sign some big names in 2014 but foremost we need to see his timetable for when he returns. It could be December, it could be October. Who knows with Kobe.

#40 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,205 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Chicago jumped from 10th to the first pick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users