Photo

Formula to becoming a title contender. What path do you choose?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:24 AM

A) Just have capspace and hope to sign 2 or 3 stars with depth

B) Tank, build through the draft and then attract Free agents?

C) Hoping and wishing we'd get lucky through a trade (ala Kwame for Gasol)

I'd strongly suggest we consider B because I think it is the quickest path to being a title contender thanks to the new CBA

I know Lakers bounce back from this because they have a track record of doing so but how long is it gonna take to bounce back? We've taken a hit image wise because someone left $30 mil on the table to go a 2nd rate franchise...think about that for a second. Even if Dwight is not a No.1 player hes still an elite player in this league (Even though he has questionable intangibles).

He may not be the biggest piece to the championship puzzle but hes still a huge chunk that has the tools to help a franchise get there. When other superstars are looking at our team in order to get this bad image out of their eyes we need to have some young stars on the team (which can be acquired thru the 2014 draft). You have youth and potential, the stars will flock here.

If we have a roster with nothing but capspace and hoping a super star would sign here, you're sorely mistaken. Mark Cuban's Mavs says hi. They've been a middling team and they couldn't attract any stars despite having a championship coach and all that capspace (Hey they're in Texas too! No Taxes! Hello!). The Mavs roster simply doesn't have any exciting stars and potential for the future. We need to start there. Its a new NBA and we need to adjust accordingly

Thats how OKC build that monster of a team, they tanked in their Seattle days, traded away role players for picks. This next 2014 draft is loaded we need to make full use of it.  Like I said once you have exciting youth and potential, guys will flock here (Like LBJ to MIA, D12 to HOU) or we gonna look like Dallas

Edited by MDI, July 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 1,089 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'd strongly suggest we consider B because I think it is the quickest path to being a title contender thanks to the new CBA

I know Lakers bounce back from this because they have a track record of doing so but how long is it gonna take to bounce back? We've taken a hit image wise because someone left $30 mil on the table to go a 2nd rate franchise...think about that for a second. Even if Dwight is not a No.1 player hes still an elite player in this league (Even though he has questionable intangibles).

He may not be the biggest piece to the championship puzzle but hes still a huge chunk that has the tools to help a franchise get there. When other superstars are looking at our team in order to get this bad image out of their eyes we need to have some young stars on the team (which can be acquired thru the 2014 draft). You have youth and potential, the stars will flock here.

If we have a roster with nothing but capspace and hoping a super star would sign here, you're sorely mistaken. Mark Cuban's Mavs says hi. They've been a middling team and they couldn't attract any stars despite having a championship coach and all that capspace (Hey they're in Texas too! No Taxes! Hello!). The Mavs roster simply doesn't have any exciting stars and potential for the future. We need to start there. Its a new NBA and we need to adjust accordingly

Thats how OKC build that monster of a team, they tanked in their Seattle days, traded away role players for picks. This next 2014 draft is loaded we need to make full use of it. Like I said once you have exciting youth and potential, guys will flock here or we gonna look like Dallas

There is no way you are a true fan saying you want us to loose games so we can draft someone we hope lives up to there potential. I understand we most likely will struggle this year but I still want us to win ever game.

Edited by erfolk, July 06, 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:28 AM

There is no way you are a true fan saying you want us to loose games so we can draft someone that lives up to there potential. I understand we most likely will struggle this year but I still want us to win ever game.

We're not competing for a title next year.  Id rather have us suck 1-2 years and be a title contender the 10 yrs after than try to win next 2-3 yrs and going absolutely nowhere (ala Dallas and Boston)

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,896 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:29 AM

The only way we tank is if Kobe isn't on this team. So that isn't happenning so I would say plan A.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#5 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 1,089 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:30 AM

We're not competing for a title next year. Id rather have us suck 1-2 years and be a title contender the 10 yrs after than try to win next 2-3 yrs and going absolutely nowhere (ala Dallas and Boston)

I rather us find a way to be competitive.

#6 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Most people are going to want Kobe to win another 1-2 rings...

Kobe didn't seem to remember that for the immediate future, he needs another superstar caliber player to accomplish those goals...see where that got us (not that it's Kobe's fault - just pointing out myopic arguments)

Now, I think the quickest way to get back to contention is to blow it up.  Get rid of everybody, Pau, Nash, Kobe and MWP and try to get draft picks and young players in return.  That's the QUICKEST way, not the preferred.

If you want to know how to get Kobe back in the Finals, that will take at least another 2 years.  You have to sacrifice Nash and Pau and kick MWP to the curb while letting Kobe take his time coming back next season...hope for Free Agent influx of talent next offseason.

You'll likely get a bunch of crazy trade scenario responses...good luck with that...

#7 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,462 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thats how OKC build that monster of a team, they tanked in their Seattle days, traded away role players for picks. This next 2014 draft is loaded we need to make full use of it.  Like I said once you have exciting youth and potential, guys will flock here (Like LBJ to MIA, D12 to HOU) or we gonna look like Dallas

Why can't you do A and B.  You clear up cap space, aren't competitive, draft a stud, sign 2 studs.  One season of pain, set you up with a strong core going forward.

#8 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM

The only way we tank is if Kobe isn't on this team. So that isn't happenning so I would say plan A.

what if Kobe is out till December? I believe thats what he said in a recent radio interview. Half the season is basically lost by then

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Why can't you do A and B.  You clear up cap space, aren't competitive, draft a stud, sign 2 studs.  One season of pain, set you up with a strong core going forward.

Thats why its B...you cant draft a stud without tanking. So we have to draft a stud, clear capspace, sign free agents and then the depth will flock here (ala Miami).

If we stay competitve and be hopeful to draft someone in the late teens/20s well...thats not really realistic

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Kobe won't tank.

Cap space is hard to come by nowadays without expiring contracts.

Trades aren't going to happen when you have little to nothing to offer.

If we can get something great for Pau, we can give it another try.  If not, blow it up...

#11 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Kobe won't tank.

Cap space is hard to come by nowadays without expiring contracts.

Trades aren't going to happen when you have little to nothing to offer.

If we can get something great for Pau, we can give it another try.  If not, blow it up...

Kobe is gone till December I believe. If the Lakers tell him to take it easy I think he'll oblige

Look at the rest of our roster its not playoff caliber lol just keep it as is and not spend too much and we're well on our way already

I would try to trade Pau obviously but we hopefully we get 2014 picks in return. Get some cheap exciting talent and then attract the big boys

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Name one team that contends for ten years straight? Maybe Spurs but not really.

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Name one team that contends for ten years straight? Maybe Spurs but not really.

okc, sas are built to contend for a long team

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

why? What's KB gonna do? March into Buss's office and demand the team make moves and threaten to leave if acquisitions aren't made? Lol....who's gonna pick up KBs salary? Nobody. When KB hurt his Achilles he also hurt his influence
. sad but true but what he says means nothing now. If he demanded a trade he may be doing Buss a favor by making his mission easier.

Edited by LakersGAFan, July 06, 2013 - 09:43 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#15 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts

what if Kobe is out till December? I believe thats what he said in a recent radio interview. Half the season is basically lost by then

He said Dec at the latest. October is one day in the NBa season.

So you figure 15-20 games at the most with no Kobe.

#16 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Realistically, B is the most effective way. I don't see free agents flocking to LA in 2014. None worth the cap space, anyway. LeBron's not gonna come and Paul George is restricted. Everybody else is gonna be in their 30s. B, on the other hand, gets you young talent moving forward, PLUS flexibility in terms of cap space.

Unfortunately I don't see the Lakers tanking with Kobe around. They're gonna try to rebuild fast in 2014, but I don't see it turning out well. 2015, on the other hand...

Posted Image

#17 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Kobe is gone till December I believe. If the Lakers tell him to take it easy I think he'll oblige

Look at the rest of our roster its not playoff caliber lol just keep it as is and not spend too much and we're well on our way already

I would try to trade Pau obviously but we hopefully we get 2014 picks in return. Get some cheap exciting talent and then attract the big boys

Or tell Kobe to shoot for the moon as far as his individual stats.  I can easily imagine him taking 30 fga/g...

Remember this year is Kobe's contract year.  Without Dwight, he's the man...

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:43 AM

okc, sas are built to contend for a long team

Seattle drafted KD, they sucked big time.

Got Westbrook. They still sucked. Got harden. They were an 8th seed. Went to one Finals and now they have no Harden.

Ten years my ass. One year thus far.

#19 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:44 AM

As long as Kobe is on this team I don't see FO blowing this team up. 

The North Remembers

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Lakers don't tank.

Gcmd. We get it. You blame Kobe for Dwight being gone.

And probably for Shaq too.

Bet u loved the five rings though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users