• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:26 AM

They should be the first team in the league to publicly acknowledge that they are going to tank for Wiggins.  Put your name on it :)

LOL...I can't put my name on that...but if we landed him, I would be happy!!!

#42 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:29 AM

This past year was a comedy of errors...and ultimate game of "what ifs".

I don't have faith in Jim Buss but I DO have faith in Mitch.

That's why I'm not worried.

#43 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Phil walked because he didn't like Shaq getting traded.

Phil Jackson was expected to leave that season and he left almost a month before Shaq was traded.

#44 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Not according to Phil Jacksons book
Posted Image

#45 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:47 AM

They weren't going to renew Phil's contract, didn't want the Triangle anymore and didn't like that Phil chose Shaq over Kobe.  They also made up their mind to move forward with KOBE, not Shaq...

Phil and Shaq were really close and Shaq said he would not play for another coach (that didn't last).  So Shaq was headed out on 2 fronts.

Kobe and Shaq's relationship had grown so bad that it had actually come to blows (Shaq slapping Kobe - reportedly).

Add that to Kobe's impending free agency and REAL chance of leaving the Lakers for a very young and talented Clippers team, yeah, it's all connected.

Kobe would not have returned for Phil.

Kobe would not have returned to play with Shaq.

From someone who lived thru every bit of it...not relying on heresay or Revisionist's History.

#46 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:00 AM

You have to hope Jim Buss changes his ways. Otherwise, the Lakers aren't going to do anything while he's calling the shots.

The only positive is that maybe this will be a wake-up call to him. The Lakers weren't going to do anything even with Dwight with how Jim has been running things. The hope was that he was flexible enough to change to try to get Dwight back. We would feel better about the FO along with having a better shot to get the superstar back.

How he runs things might work in the NFL, but not in the NBA. Players have a lot more power in the NBA.

Edited by Japago, July 06, 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

• 40,396 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Phil Jackson was expected to leave that season and he left almost a month before Shaq was traded.

Not according to Phil Jacksons book

Looks like someone's IQ is being tested.

yo.

#48 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:45 AM

What "ways"?

An owner spends money.

Dr Buss picked D'Antoni andMitch said you need continuity.

What did Jim do?

#49 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:30 PM

What "ways"?

An owner spends money.

Dr Buss picked D'Antoni andMitch said you need continuity.

What did Jim do?

Jim wants things his way, and nothing else is going to stop him even if it isn't working. D'Antoni didn't work. This roster didn't work. Yet, they didn't look to make any moves. It was well documented that they didn't even try this season. They wanted to see Nash back first. Anybody with a clue knew that wasn't going to make any difference.

He didn't try to do anything to appeal to the superstar he wanted to return.

Posted Image

#50 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,694 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:36 PM

So are we [expletive]ed until Jim dies or gets into a car accident or something? Cause that's how everyone is making it out to be. I want hope. We still have Kobe fricking Bryant.

Edited by Jackson, July 06, 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#51 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Jim wants things his way, and nothing else is going to stop him even if it isn't working. D'Antoni didn't work. This roster didn't work. Yet, they didn't look to make any moves. It was well documented that they didn't even try this season. They wanted to see Nash back first. Anybody with a clue knew that wasn't going to make any difference.

He didn't try to do anything to appeal to the superstar he wanted to return.

Lol. Like I said people believe what they want

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Dwight didn't want to come here in the first place. Can u at least admit that?
Never liked our media or Kobe.

#53 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:00 PM

I wonder what Skip will say?

#54 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Dwight didn't want to come here in the first place. Can u at least admit that?
Never liked our media or Kobe.

Lol, changing the subject.

He looked very happy when he came here, and was out and about in LA. There were no issues reported at the time either. It was rumored that he didn't want to come here when he initially asked to be traded though, but that was awhile before he eventually was traded here.

Even if you are right, so? That doesn't change the fact that the Lakers didn't try to make things better the offseason they got him. They traded for a 38 year old PG and kept a 32 year old PF when they should've been used to get younger talent on the team. When they hired a coach, they ignored Dwight and hired a completely different coach. Even if Phil ultimately would've declined, they could've hired somebody more similar to Phil.

Deron didn't really like getting traded to the Nets at first too. But, they made all the right moves and eventually got him to stay. Even if Dwight would've ultimately left anyway, we'll never know because the Lakers made it very easy for him to leave.

Edited by Japago, July 06, 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Brand New

Brand New

Good Enough

• 1,032 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:44 PM

I wonder what Skip will say?

He already said on Twitter that the Lakers got better. 

#56 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Saw this retweeted a few times, by the angry mob of Lakers fans, and I don't think I've ever agreed with something so many times as I was listening.

Listen to all of it. It's well worth your time.

People behind closed doors knew Dwight was not happy and wanted out way before the All Star game for multiple reasons.

1. Kobe was still going to play at least 2 more seasons and did not like how Kobe would always be the man on the team even if he is past his prime while Dwight was in his prime.

2. He never really wanted to be a Laker. He was happy when he got traded because it got him out of a bad situation with the Magic.

3. He hated the fact that he was never going to be viewed or treated as an equal to Kobe. Why do you think he went to Houston to play with a lesser player like Harden? When he came to LA he truly thought he was going to be viewed as the 2nd coming as Shaq and Kobe, but when that did not happen he felt disrespected.

4. It was a bad fit from the beginning because of the age difference between him and the rest of the core. His personality was not a match with the veterans who were serious about winning a ring. How can you be laughing, joking, and messing around when your team just lost by 20 points and you're one of the worst teams in the West?

5. Want to know something? Kobe behind closed doors knew he could not count on Dwight because Dwight was mentally weak and would crack under pressure. Kobe challenged Dwight on purposed on multiple occasion and every time he failed.

6. Dwight is not the type of player that you let make decisions for your franchise. Dwight is a great player and future HOF, but he's no Shaq or Kobe. So why should the Lakers bend over backwards for a guy like Dwight?

Stories will be coming out this year about what happened and people will start seeing the true side of Dwight. When one of the nicest guys on the team who pretty much is well liked and gets a long with everyone is rubbed the wrong way by you, it tells me a lot.

• 40,396 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:55 PM

This man could've saved us Dwight if it weren't for damn Jimmy:

773344521.jpg?1369236883

yo.

#58 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 03:01 PM

That's a disturbing photo

#59 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Wolf Children

• 8,471 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 03:45 PM

MY EYES!!!!

MMiRi9s.png

#60 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Lol, changing the subject.

He looked very happy when he came here, and was out and about in LA. There were no issues reported at the time either. It was rumored that he didn't want to come here when he initially asked to be traded though, but that was awhile before he eventually was traded here.

Even if you are right, so? That doesn't change the fact that the Lakers didn't try to make things better the offseason they got him. They traded for a 38 year old PG and kept a 32 year old PF when they should've been used to get younger talent on the team. When they hired a coach, they ignored Dwight and hired a completely different coach. Even if Phil ultimately would've declined, they could've hired somebody more similar to Phil.

Deron didn't really like getting traded to the Nets at first too. But, they made all the right moves and eventually got him to stay. Even if Dwight would've ultimately left anyway, we'll never know because the Lakers made it very easy for him to leave.

Actually they got Nash before Dwight. Pau was on the block and he got injured and therefore could not be traded.

Dwight is much better in the pick and roll than the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users