80 replies to this topic

#21 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,830 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Far be it from me to criticize our lovely coach, but I agree with above sentiments. Howard is a world class talent and f he had stayed here, I think the lakers would have been better with him. Howard is immature and not the best player in the league, but he is a better option than what the Lakers will have next year. Dantoni got fired from
The Knicks by James Dolan!

Up until yesterday, I would have out Dolan at the top of the heap for worst owner honors. I'm perplexed at Jim Buss sticking with a three time proven loser coach. I don't doubt that Jim Buss wants to win, I doubt his execution. I mean, I want a million dollars, but want doesn't equal
will. I was excited last year when they got Nash and Howard, but with Howard gone, four picks for Nash gone, and MDA still here (with his smug smile) I am concerned. A large part of the Jim Buss concern comes from his lack of time to put a footprint on the organization. We have some idea of how things are going so far, and I'm not impressed.

#22 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Stephen A Smith is right. 

The North Remembers

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:41 AM

the thing was pPhil wanted more than just the coaching job, and it's OBVIOUS by the demands he was asking other teams for, whereas MDA was JUST a coach

Secondly, No onw is EVER going to mention Dr. Buss' involvement?

And after MDA "failed", it would have been TOTALLY DUMB to try and hire another coach, because by that point Phil was completely against the idea of coaching any team.

People can try and make this Game of Thrones , but Jim Buss would have NOT traded Bynum or fired Mike Brown if he was truly the creature Stephen ASmith was trying to make him out to be.

We had Dwight but NEVER at 100%.

pau was a joke until the last month of the season. His stats before that reflected a drop off that was pathetic. So when analysts, try and diss D'Antoni for benching him, I laugh.

He was not the guy we saw at the end of the season.

not to mention Nash and blake being injured.

We saw at our peak how Fish could be a weak link at times, well Duhon was HORRIBLE.

Jordan Hill would have been nice when the bigs were hurt but guess what? He was GONE all seson too.

Mitch just made a solid point in saying, no team every gets better without continuity. I think by allowing D'antoni to start the season, they would have done their due diligence.

the sad part is Lakers fans BELIEVE ANY OF THIS GARBAGE. 

#24 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:43 AM

He said nothing that I haven't said on here since Jimmy boy took over.

The same words almost.
And many of you Hoops geniuses on here said I was "an idiot or didn't know wtf I was talking about", etc etc blah blah blah.
I just smiled because I knew how right I was. It didnt take a fortune teller to figure this out. 

Now the very same writing on the wall seems clear to yall and SAS reports it and yall nod your heads and agree like hes the great and powerful Oz of the NBA.

When 2 weeks ago most of you said anything espn says cant be trusted because they're just lies for ratings....ESPECIALLY when SAS runs his mouth. Now what?

I got more insight. The fall out from this hasnt ended yet. The trickle will take till 2014-15 before we see just how drastic these changes really are.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#25 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,420 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Phil Jackson was not going to come back and coach this team.  Why tarnish your legacy with a team that simply is not capable of winning. He knows that Dwight Howard had a terrible season, Kobe is injured, Nash is guaranteed to be injured, Pau in his current state and the rag tag bunch of D-leaguers that the Lakers have as a supporting cast is not a championship caliber team, we all saw what they were. The guy coaches championship teams, not teams that are going to struggle to make the playoffs this season.  Best thing they can do is rebuild.

#26 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Phil Jackson was not going to come back and coach this team.  Why tarnish your legacy with a team that simply is not capable of winning. He knows that Dwight Howard had a terrible season, Kobe is injured, Nash is guaranteed to be injured, Pau in his current state and the rag tag bunch of D-leaguers that the Lakers have as a supporting cast is not a championship caliber team, we all saw what they were. The guy coaches championship teams, not teams that are going to struggle to make the playoffs this season.  Best thing they can do is rebuild.

and while all of this is 100% obvious, theres still fans on here that think PJ is going to change his mind....lol

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#27 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:13 AM

"Welcome, Laker Nation, to the era of Jim Buss."

I literally just aged 5 years hearing that from SAS.

Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

#28 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,554 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:18 AM

and while all of this is 100% obvious, theres still fans on here that think PJ is going to change his mind....lol

It didnt have to be PJ, it could've been almost anyone else other than MDA, and we wouldn't end up this bad off. MDA signing has triggered all of this, IMO.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Stephen A. Smith goes over the top sometimes but unfortunately, this new regime must do some work for me to regain my faith in them.

I don't care about the actual D'Antoni hire. My understanding from everything I've read and people I talked to at work said Dr. Jerry Buss gave the green light on him and Jim as a favor to his dad to see Showtime again went with MDA.

What disappoints me is the inability to admit mistakes. Could have brought Phil Jackson into the franchise in an official role, didn't do it. Could have had Phil Jackson meet with Dwight Howard, didn't ask him to. Could have fired the coach, someone that Dwight Howard wasn't comfortable with, didn't do that either.

Simply put, they dropped the ball and Dwight Howard saw zero reason to stay with the Lakers and even left 30 million on the table because he did not believe in this franchise.

We can all say Dwight is an exception and is absent minded but facts are facts. He left and we are stuck with no franchise player going forward.

We have cap space next year. Great. We need players to believe in our brand and right now that's a problem.

#30 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Zero trust in Jim Buss and the FO after this blunder. 

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:53 AM

So, my question would be Why support this team anymore.

Dwight did not want to come because of KOBE , not Jim Buss.

Dwight end up getting offended by Kobe.

D'Antoni got Dwight the 2nd most touches in the post in the league. He was horrible.

So was Pau for most of the season, while Kobe was excellent down there.

D'Antoni didn't control Kobe, though when Kobe made that promise to make the playoffs. I don't think anyone except Phil could have stopped him.

But why should the front office admit they made a bad hire when he didn't get a fair chance in more than a few people's eyes.

#32 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,205 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:58 AM

The front office needs to do a lot in order to regain many people's trust. We can base it off oh it's the lakers they are always going to be alright, no show us something. Not saying Dwight would've been a winner like Kobe but Dwight is an elite talent that they should've resigned. It's just not looking good right now.

#33 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Simply don't care about the Dwight Saga anymore.  It's over and done with.

All I want to know is where the Lakers plan on going from here.  What we have planned and how are we going to get back to contender status.

I believe that Mitch has a plan.

I believe the Lakers will return to contender status.

That's where our focus should be...not what didn't happen or could have happened.

#34 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,420 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Simply don't care about the Dwight Saga anymore.  It's over and done with.

All I want to know is where the Lakers plan on going from here.  What we have planned and how are we going to get back to contender status.

I believe that Mitch has a plan.

I believe the Lakers will return to contender status.

That's where our focus should be...not what didn't happen or could have happened.

They should be the first team in the league to publicly acknowledge that they are going to tank for Wiggins.  Put your name on it :)

#35 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:37 AM

I've been disgusted with the vast majority of the Lakers' moves since 2011, to be honest.

I just don't have faith that Jim Buss understands what he needs to do to run this franchise the right way.

Posted Image

#36 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,357 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

D'Antoni's system would not fit Dwight. This was proven. Dwight has to have time to get down the court, establish post, and have the ball dumped into him quicker than we were attempting to do.

Instead, we pushed the tempo, and had players try to get to the rim (old players), or kick out to shooters lining the perimeter (that were inconsistent).

We did not construct an offense around Dwight Howard. It was around Nash, and admittedly so, when MDA took over.

Once things turned sour, the Lakers were already in desperation mode, Nash stated that he would have to become more of a shooter and an off-ball player, and Kobe took the season over.

------

Dwight is a franchise player. He's a superstar. How this isn't understood is almost hilarious to me. Did anyone whine about Kobe not being a superstar when his Lakers won 34 games in 2005, and 45/42 the following two seasons? Nope.

18/12/58% FG...only done 15 times in the history of the NBA, done five times since Shaq in 1993 or 1994. Howard did it last season, and those other four times since O'Neal.

But nah, he's not a franchise player...just one of the greatest defensive centers we've seen since Ben Wallace, and the most efficient and effective offensive centers over the last 10 years. You don't double and triple-team a player that isn't an offensive threat or a superstar.

I can't stand his big ass teeth and grin, really hope he loses every game he ever plays now...but that doesn't mean I sit here and talk like I don't know the difference between a franchise player and a role player.

I believe Dwight is a franchise player. I do not think the lakers were all in on Dwight.

If they were they would have fired d'antoni, they aren't paying brown anymore and it would have been easy and emotionless. They fired coaches throughout their history to appease stars.

They let Phil Jackson walk to appease Kobe, and brought him back to do the same

Billboards for the lakers would be pocket change. AEG, TW, lakers these are billion dollar Businesses. Billboards would not cost much for them. Considering that's all they did.

No roster moves, no coaching change. Rudy gay a friend of Dwight's would have been easy for them.

It seems odd to me, I don't know their reasoning but I'm not sure anymore that they were all in after looking at the whole picture
Posted Image

#37 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,830 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've been disgusted with the vast majority of the Lakers' moves since 2011, to be honest.

I just don't have faith that Jim Buss understands what he needs to do to run this franchise the right way.

But as Jim Bust said, "players are like horses...."

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Phil walked because he didn't like Shaq getting traded.

#39 211275

Rookie

• 190 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Agreed. I am about done being a Lakers fan, have been my whole life. Jim Buss has ruined this franchise though. 

#40 Brand New

Brand New

Good Enough

• 1,033 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm more worried of losing Mitch Kupchak down the road then Dwight leaving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users