80 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Saw this retweeted a few times, by the angry mob of Lakers fans, and I don't think I've ever agreed with something so many times as I was listening.

Listen to all of it. It's well worth your time.

#2 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:58 AM

agree 100% too

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#3 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:11 AM

I don't see how this is Jim Buss' fault. SAS bull[expletive]ting as always. Dwight NEVER acknowledged being a Laker. It wasn't the case that we had him, then lost for nothing. He always said he wants to explore his options, all the while touching and satisfying himself with the trophies in Jeanie's office. Dwight is the prime example of an hypocrite person you can find. And it backfired for us, we lost Bynum, who could have done his job just fine and post up 18-12. Why exactly should Jerry/Jim/Mitch bring Phil to convince Dwight to stay? That is [expletive]ing unheard of in Lakerland. He isn't Kobe, he isn't Magic, he isn't Jerry West, and he sure hell isn't like great Lakers centers.

Whatever. We'll move on, and start anew next year. I just hope these clowns won't smell the glory from miles and eat their words they talk now.

#4 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:12 AM

Apart from losing out on a superstar, you have to be scared about this teams' future heading forward.

It's crazy how easy they made it for Dwight to leave. Whether he would've actually stayed had they done everything right, we don't really know. But to do nothing basketball-related to try keep him was insane. Billboards are nothing. They should've done that from the very beginning. Since last off-season, they really didn't do anything at all with him in mind.

They either value MDA more or didn't value Dwight enough. Neither choice is good.

Posted Image

#5 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,106 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:12 AM

Stephen A. Smith is right.

The problem I have why is Jim Buss only one being blame in here? If Jim Buss is being blame in here, might as well blame Mitch Kupchack as well. Heck, might as well blame the late great Jerry Buss because all three of them decided to pick MDA over Phil.

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:18 AM

I don't see how this is Jim Buss' fault.

Keeping Mike D'Antoni for one the most obvious.

SAS bull[expletive]ting as always.

Oh you mean like the bull[expletive] logic that says let's keep a coach who goes against everything our potential franchise player stands for?

yo.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,058 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:22 AM

Oh you mean like the bull[expletive] logic that says let's keep a coach who goes against everything our potential franchise player stands for?

Pick and Roll and 3 point shooting?

The two things that Dwight said were the reasons he went to the Rockets? 

Kenny Smith brought up a great point when he said that Dwight would want to play in a system similar to D'antoni's but that the Lakers didn't have the players to accommodate it.    He said Dwight would want to come off pick and roll screens, be fed easy shots to the basket, and have the floor spaced with 3 point shooters.

And then today Dwight goes and says that the reason he chose the Rockets was because their style was similar to the Orlando Magic style except that they had James Harden and he felt they could do great things with it.  

Kenny Smith said it perfectly a while ago and he said it perfectly today on NBA TV.  He said that if the Lakers were trying to run a point guard based pick and roll style that relied on rolls to the basket and spot up 3 point shooters off screens or spotting up or something related that it was something right up Dwight's alley, but he felt like ultimately they(The Lakers) just didn't have the players to accommodate it but that the Rockets are a team that could accommodate that very style cause of their 3 point shooters and youth.

Can't help but think Kenny is probably right.

Edited by Majesty, July 06, 2013 - 02:24 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#8 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:24 AM

Potential franchise player? The guy that didn't get along with Kobe, let alone MDA? The guy that associated himself with Los Angeles only because of the money?

You are kidding yourself.

Not firing MDA was a correct decision since he was not the reason for unsuccessful season. Stop judging things emotionally.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:33 AM

D'Antoni's system would not fit Dwight.  This was proven.  Dwight has to have time to get down the court, establish post, and have the ball dumped into him quicker than we were attempting to do.

Instead, we pushed the tempo, and had players try to get to the rim (old players), or kick out to shooters lining the perimeter (that were inconsistent).

We did not construct an offense around Dwight Howard.  It was around Nash, and admittedly so, when MDA took over.

Once things turned sour, the Lakers were already in desperation mode, Nash stated that he would have to become more of a shooter and an off-ball player, and Kobe took the season over.

------

Dwight is a franchise player.  He's a superstar.  How this isn't understood is almost hilarious to me.  Did anyone whine about Kobe not being a superstar when his Lakers won 34 games in 2005, and 45/42 the following two seasons?  Nope.

18/12/58% FG...only done 15 times in the history of the NBA, done five times since Shaq in 1993 or 1994.  Howard did it last season, and those other four times since O'Neal.

But nah, he's not a franchise player...just one of the greatest defensive centers we've seen since Ben Wallace, and the most efficient and effective offensive centers over the last 10 years.  You don't double and triple-team a player that isn't an offensive threat or a superstar.

I can't stand his big ass teeth and grin, really hope he loses every game he ever plays now...but that doesn't mean I sit here and talk like I don't know the difference between a franchise player and a role player.

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:36 AM

Kenny's certainly right on some levels, but that doesn't address the defensive side of the ball where Dwight is probably most dominant & valuable when he's at his best. If I remember correctly with D'Antoni at times, it was said that the Lakers wouldn't even practice defense sometimes. There's no defense for that.

They either value MDA more or didn't value Dwight enough. Neither choice is good.

Or they value their own ego & pride more than how they actually feel about MDA.

The problem I have why is Jim Buss only one being blame in here? If Jim Buss is being blame in here, might as well blame Mitch Kupchack as well.

We really don't know how much of a puppet Mitch is right now if at all. We can only speculate, but I'd like to believe Mitch isn't nearly as fond of MDA as Jim seems to be.

yo.

#11 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:40 AM

Or they value their own ego & pride more than how they actually feel about MDA.

Not a good choice either.

Sadly, that's possible too. It's how they handled Kobe when they hired Mike Brown.

Posted Image

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:44 AM

Stats don't even nearly tell the whole story with Dwight either. They don't always take into account all the attention he draws defensively leading to easier more efficient shots for others (which don't necessarily always have to be assists leading from the first pass, but can be created from several passes), or all the shots he contests on the defensive end altering/changing shots leading to misses, sometimes turnovers & just his court awareness and presence alone intimidating and changing players' minds about attacking the basket so willingly. His impact on the game is much more complex than even his impressive stats show.

yo.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,058 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:46 AM

I think that was Kenny's point though Real Deal.

When he said that Dwight would be right up the alley of D'antoni's style if the Lakers had hte players to accommodate it when they didn't.

For instance.  Put Dwight on those Phoenix Suns teams instead of Amare'. How do they do? And how does Dwight excel in the pick and roll and with their three point shooters and a Nash able to navigate the pick and rolls and draw double teams?

What Kenny was basically saying was that Dwight would want to push the tempo, come off pick and rolls and get shots to the basket when the defense rotates.  But he was saying pretty much what you are saying, the Lakers didn't have the players to accommodate it, they had no stretch 4 in order to open the paint for him,  Nash is no longer able to pull defenses from the center off picks the way he used to, and the Lakers didn't have nearly the consistency around perimeter scoring that we'd need to accomodate him.

What Kenny was basically saying was "they tried to push the tempo, and run that kind of style, but it doesn't work, the Lakers are older and Nash can't push the tempo or draw defenses like that anymore and Pau Gasol is not a stretch 4.

Now look at Houston.

Harden is pretty much gonna do what Nash would do, which is set up everyone along the perimeter while also finding Dwight off pick and rolls.  They can push the pace up and down the court because of their youth and a healthy Dwight is actually one of the best court running big men in the NBA if not THE best.    Not only that but they are a better three point shooting team. 

So what Kenny is saying is.  Harden can push the tempo, up the court and through pick and rolls, drawing defenses in ways that Nash no longer can and that the Rockets have better three point shooters.   

So that the Lakers could try to run a point guard based pick and roll game around the perimeter, which seemed to be what Dwight wants(although replace point guard with Harden), but the Lakers are too old of a team to run that. 

So I think Kenny would agree with you when you say things like they were an old team that failed at pushing the tempo, and when you say Nash can't draw defenses or navigate screens and pick and rolls as well anymore, but Harden can. 

The Lakers don't have consistent floor spacers, the Rockets do.   The Rockets will also only have ONE person in the paint, which the Lakers did not have.

So in many ways Kenny was right and you and him are saying the same thing.

The Lakers CAN'T run a fast tempo, perimeter point guard lead pick and roll 3 point bombing style.

But the Rockets can but with Harden doing the ball handling, and ultimately that is what Dwight wanted.  He wanted to come off pick and rolls, he wanted someone who could navigate the paint and draw defenses away from him and iso.  Something Nash USED to be able to do, but something that Harden can do, and can do better than Jameer.

I hope I said all that right X_X

Edited by Majesty, July 06, 2013 - 02:49 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#14 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:50 AM

I think that was Kenny's point though Real Deal.

When he said that Dwight would be right up the alley of D'antoni's style if the Lakers had hte players to accommodate it when they didn't.

For instance.  Put Dwight on those Phoenix Suns teams instead of Amare'. How do they do? And how does Dwight excel in the pick and roll and with their three point shooters and a Nash able to navigate the pick and rolls and draw double teams?

What Kenny was basically saying was that Dwight would want to push the tempo, come off pick and rolls and get shots to the basket when the defense rotates.  But he was saying pretty much what you are saying, the Lakers didn't have the players to accommodate it, they had no stretch 4 in order to open the paint for him,  Nash is no longer able to pull defenses from the center off picks the way he used to, and the Lakers didn't have nearly the consistency around perimeter scoring that we'd need to accomodate him.

What Kenny was basically saying was "they tried to push the tempo, and run that kind of style, but it doesn't work, the Lakers are older and Nash can't push the tempo or draw defenses like that anymore and Pau Gasol is not a stretch 4.

Now look at Houston.

Harden is pretty much gonna do what Nash would do, which is set up everyone along the perimeter while also finding Dwight off pick and rolls.  They can push the pace up and down the court because of their youth and a healthy Dwight is actually one of the best court running big men in the NBA if not THE best.    Not only that but they are a better three point shooting team. 

So what Kenny is saying is.  Harden can push the tempo, up the court and through pick and rolls, drawing defenses in ways that Nash no longer can and that the Rockets have better three point shooters.   

So that the Lakers could try to run a point guard based pick and roll game around the perimeter, which seemed to be what Dwight wants(although replace point guard with Harden), but the Lakers are too old of a team to run that. 

So I think Kenny would agree with you when you say things like they were an old team that failed at pushing the tempo, and when you say Nash can't draw defenses or navigate screens and pick and rolls as well anymore, but Harden can. 

The Lakers don't have consistent floor spacers, the Rockets do.   The Rockets will also only have ONE person in the paint, which the Lakers did not have.

So in many ways Kenny was right and you and him are saying the same thing.

The Lakers CAN'T run a fast tempo, perimeter point guard lead pick and roll 3 point bombing style.

But the Rockets can, and ultimately that is what Dwight wanted.  He wanted to come off pick and rolls, he wanted someone who could navigate the paint and draw defenses away from him and iso.  Something Nash USED to be able to do, but something that Harden can do, and can do better than Jameer.

I hope I said all that right X_X

An uptemo offense is completely different than what MDA stood for. Remember he's the coach that claimed a 3 pointer takes priority over a postup and tried to run his offense through a 39 year old Nash. That's not the same thing as pushing the ball in transition (with a younger team) and posting up your superstar center by surrounding him with legit 3 point threats, i.e. 4 out 1 in like we saw in Orlando and with LA in 2011-2012. 

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:51 AM

Howard and Amare are two completely different players.  That's the issue.

#16 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:16 AM

I wanna burn mike D'Antonis mustache off. Worthless coach killing franchises one by one. I hate him so much.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#17 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:27 AM

we chose MDA over Phil and chose MDA over Dwight, lolkers is becoming more apparent
Posted Image

#18 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:43 AM

Well, it sucks being a Laker fan right now.

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:54 AM

Not firing MDA was a correct decision since he was not the reason for unsuccessful season.

Ugh. What more is it gonna take for some people to realize that MDA sucks???

You're not thinking straight

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Laker fans are delusional. I knew from the start of the MDA signing that we were meant for turmoil. I tried to give this bum a chance at one point but he failed horrifically by getting our superstar, Kobe Bryant, injured. If you are serious about winning, you don't choose scum over the most winningest coach ever. I'm extremely disappointed in this franchise right now. You guys are now witnessing the true extent of how much of a [expletive]ty coach MDA is. I really hope the Lakers, the FO, Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, change things around in the next two years. For those of you who somehow still try to defend this useless piece of [expletive], we wouldn't be in such a situation if we never hired this clown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users