• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 05, 2013 - 07:13 PM

We aren't winning anything. This is gonna be a bad year. Worst thing the lakers can do is stay above the luxury and have the repeater tax increase.

I think amnestying Pau would be the best decision. Amnestying Metta wont be enough being that we still need to sign a few more people to fill the roster.  Yea we wont have a real center but honestly guys does it really matter. If we get super lucky we will get into 8th place. Big deal

This also lets us have S&T opportunities. It would be much better to go into the 2014 FA without the problem of the repeater tax.

I mean does having a slightly less crappy team thats in the luxury really better than having a crappier team thats under the luxury. Im not saying we tank but why should we waste money and hurt ourselves in future season for this upcoming stinker of a season. 

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Would like to reiterate this because its important. Amnestying Metta would not be enough. If it were I would be for that. This isn't because I dont like pau its because I truly think it will benefit us for the future .

Edited by bigfetz, July 05, 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#3 The Next Stig

The Next Stig

Greatest

• 453 posts
  • Name:Jr

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:07 PM

dont think it matters at this point, only player on the roster next year is nash.

templaRS_zpsfc271f2c.jpg

Follow me on Instagram- Socalk1d

#4 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• 66 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:30 PM

We aren't winning anything. This is gonna be a bad year. Worst thing the lakers can do is stay above the luxury and have the repeater tax increase.

I think amnestying Pau would be the best decision. Amnestying Metta wont be enough being that we still need to sign a few more people to fill the roster.  Yea we wont have a real center but honestly guys does it really matter. If we get super lucky we will get into 8th place. Big deal

This also lets us have S&T opportunities. It would be much better to go into the 2014 FA without the problem of the repeater tax.

We definitely need to stay under the luxury tax.  Otherwise, it will hurt us down the road with those repeater tax penalties.

But I do think it is possible to stay below the luxury tax and still keep Pau.  We'll need to amnesty Metta and unload either Blake or Hill.  Fill up the rest of the roster with veterans on minimum, and don't use the mid level exemptions.

Kobe

Gasol

Nash

Hill

Meeks

Plus 7 players on minimum salary

Damn that is gonna be a really terrible lineup.  No wonder Dwight bailed...

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:36 PM

dont think it matters at this point, only player on the roster next year is nash.

Yea it does. If we stay in the luxury tax we will be paying 125% I believe for this years luxury. Yea we can afford that but then if we go int the luxury for the 2014 FA which we most likely will we continue to be repeaters so it will continue to increase our repeater tax which I think would be 150%. Thats way to much and is pointless.

Getting rid of pau could save us more than just the tax money for this season but for the following season repeater tax increment. This could amount to saving 10's of millions of dollars. 

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:41 PM

We definitely need to stay under the luxury tax.  Otherwise, it will hurt us down the road with those repeater tax penalties.

But I do think it is possible to stay below the luxury tax and still keep Pau.  We'll need to amnesty Metta and unload either Blake or Hill.  Fill up the rest of the roster with veterans on minimum, and don't use the mid level exemptions.

Kobe

Gasol

Nash

Hill

Meeks

Plus 7 players on minimum salary

Damn that is gonna be a really terrible lineup.  No wonder Dwight bailed...

Trust me if amnestying metta could do it im all for it but he would only get us under the tax line with the current roster. Even if we sign the rest of the players to min we still would be above the tax line by a few mil. Also you cant just get rid of hill or blake. Teams will want to trade players for them not just picks(being that only under the cap team could do that) because they will want those picks most likely more than those players. 

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,038 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Does any good team have cap space?

Honestly, I would love for the Lakers to amnesty Kobe and get him a chance a championship. I think this would be doing him a favor. I'd ask so it's not him quitting on the team.

The only problem is that any team with cap space can bid. So, he could wind up with a really bad team anyway.

Edited by Japago, July 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Posted Image

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Does any good team have cap space?

Honestly, I would love for the Lakers to amnesty Kobe and get him a chance a championship. I think this would be doing him a favor. I'd ask so it's not him quitting on the team.

The only problem is that any team with cap space can bid. So, he could wind up with a really bad team anyway.

Amnestying kobe is a bad idea because he makes the lakers a ton of money. People come to see kobe play so if we got rid of him then the lakers would lose a ton of money from lack of ticket sales. Even a bad laker team with kobe make a good amount of money. Without kobe...well lets just say I could finally afford to go see a laker game. 

#9 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,038 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Amnestying kobe is a bad idea because he makes the lakers a ton of money. People come to see kobe play so if we got rid of him then the lakers would lose a ton of money from lack of ticket sales. Even a bad laker team with kobe make a good amount of money. Without kobe...well lets just say I could finally afford to go see a laker game. 

It's an investment to get back to your championship ways faster. In the long run, the Lakers' popularity will decline the longer they aren't winning.

A trade is another option, but Kobe would need to waive his no trade clause. It would take a lot of moving money, but many contracts have been moved before.

I think the Lakers should try to trade both Kobe and Pau. You want to be bad anyway, and it'll give them a chance to help better teams.

Posted Image

#10 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,164 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Even if we keep Pau we'll be under cap next off season since his contract will have expired

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Even if we keep Pau we'll be under cap next off season since his contract will have expired

Like ive said its not about the cap its about the repeater tax. If we stay in the luxury this season then out repeater tax will continue to go up and by the 2014 FA we will be paying 150% taxes. If we stay under the tax line we wont have to pay nearly as much in 2014 when we go back over the tax line which if were serous about winning we will do. Again has nothing to do with the cap. 

#12 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,164 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Like ive said its not about the cap its about the repeater tax. If we stay in the luxury this season then out repeater tax will continue to go up and by the 2014 FA we will be paying 150% taxes. If we stay under the tax line we wont have to pay nearly as much in 2014 when we go back over the tax line which if were serous about winning we will do. Again has nothing to do with the cap. 

I doubt anyone in the front office cares. The tax rate doesn't affect our cap space and Lakers have shown they could care less about paying the tax as long as it's worth it.

21lsbya.jpg

#13 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I doubt anyone in the front office cares. The tax rate doesn't affect our cap space and Lakers have shown they could care less about paying the tax as long as it's worth it.

Oh yea they could care less about 10's of millions of dollars. Its not like this is a business or anything right. 

#14 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,164 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Oh yea they could care less about 10's of millions of dollars. Its not like this is a business or anything right. 

And yet the team has paid it for years and shows no sign of cutting costs now

21lsbya.jpg

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,465 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:51 PM

There has never been tax rules like this before. If they stay over the luxury then go back to a 100 mill paroll for the 2014 FA then they could be spending an extra 45 mill in luxury taxes when they could just spend 30. Thats 15 mill in savings by just getting rid of pau who isnt anything special anymore. 

Its pointless to lose that money over one player thats not even preforming anymore and for a season that will be a stinker anyway. I dont even understand how anyone would would think its a better idea to keep pau when its going to lose the lakers more money than even they could handle. 

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,907 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:12 PM

They care a little bit about the money. They care more about restrictions on personnel moves. If they aren't restricted there, then they'll keep Pau.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,416 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:41 PM

I think Pau should be traded for some young talent that can develop.  Maybe a 3 team to get someone like Derrick Williams in the mix.  Who knows.  We need as many young assets as possible

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Completely different rules now than in past years.

#19 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 876 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I agree with you bigfetz that we should cut salary. I also understand the Luxury tax implications with the new CBA as well. Business wise it makes sense. However I get the feeling the Lakers FO dont really care with Dwight gone now. I think they probably amnesty MWP and that is enough of a savings. They will pretty much add MWPs salary back on with filling the rest of the roster. So logically it would make sense to amnesty Gasol instead however as they would be under the tax line. We will find out in the coming weeks if they really care about the repeater tax. We will see moves if they do. I think they have already planned and were ready to take the hit this year, next year and onwards. Next year we should be able to keep below the Luxury tax line so that will help a bit and the year after if possible. I do believe Gasol stays this year just for Kobes sake, but I have no problem if they amnesty him, but would rather trade if possible. The Lakers history of spending big money is unquestionable. Be interesting to see how much these new luxury tax rules will affect there spending. There is no doubt they have money thats for sure.

#20 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Seems jimmy boy has a plan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users