Photo

What now?

ByeDwight Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

Poll: What now? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What do we do now?

1. Tank for 2014 draft and go all out in 2014 FA class (14 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

2. Try compete this year and go all out in the 2014 FA class (40 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. Trade away/amnesty nash, pau kobe and whoever we can get to tank even harder (10 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:36 AM

The absolute worst thing we can do is being too prideful to tank and hang around to barely miss the playoffs or barely make the playoffs. Youre not improving your chances of rebuilding quickly

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#142 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:13 AM

The absolute worst thing we can do is being too prideful to tank and hang around to barely miss the playoffs or barely make the playoffs. Youre not improving your chances of rebuilding quickly

Agree.

Next year isn't going to be pretty. I don't see the point in finishing in the middle and having the same result with a mediocre draft pick instead of finishing at the bottom and grabbing a possible franchise piece. 

#143 Anansi1171

Anansi1171

Rookie

• 124 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Without prejudice or apology:

1) Amnesty Kobe Bean Bryant - Kobe takes a year off to rest! Rehab! Train! Sustain! So that you really can comeback at an elite level! Or join OKC for a late playoff run and a ring while sticking it to Houston.

2) Trade Gasol for a Derrick Williams or Bismack Biyombo or the like, two second-rounders(hopefully one in 2014) and a Traded-player Exception - Pau, pair with Kevin Love into the playoffs and stick it to Houston.

3) Trade Nash or Blake is you can get picks.

3) Lakers -Go young, full rebuild and tank! Sign Goudelock, Morris.

4) Use flexibility over time -You now have the full MLE to shop with this off-season.

5) Use flexibility over time -You now have a Gasol-exception to shop any game-changing bargains that may be available at the dead-line or the end of the season.

6) And if nothing better has presented itself prior - you still have all of your cap-flexibility in 2014.

7) You have a 25% chance at the 1st pick or like a 75% chance at a top three pick in a game-changing draft.

8) If Kobe and Gasol were smart, dispassionate, and truly cared about contending they could both come back to the Lakers after this season and fulfill your version of a super team 

9) Contend and Win! Remember what happened with the '99 Spurs!

#144 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:41 AM

^^So ignorant

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#145 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,356 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm not worried about free agents wanting to come here. I can almost guarentee there will be players that will collaborate with eachother to end up in LA.

#146 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm not worried about free agents wanting to come here. I can almost guarentee there will be players that will collaborate with eachother to end up in LA.

All to play for Mike D'Antoni right?

That worked out well for the New York Knicks.

#147 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,356 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:05 AM

All to play for Mike D'Antoni right?

That worked out well for the New York Knicks.

I have the confidence that MDA will be gone by then. He's a lame duck.

#148 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,948 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:08 AM

• lakers should try and get under lux tax

#149 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:08 AM

What about the roster. What do we have to offer that will lure free agents in? IF we need to lure in superstars we need other stars on the team that they'd want to play with

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#150 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,356 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:10 AM

What about the roster. What do we have to offer that will lure free agents in? IF we need to lure in superstars we need other stars on the team that they'd want to play with

Or they just talk with eachother and say 'hey, LA has enough money to sign both of us and then some'.

#151 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 448 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Buckle up fellow Lakers fans, this is going to be a very interesting offseason. Now that Howard is gone, who will they attempt to acquire? It's gonna be a bumpy ride here in LA.

#152 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,272 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:15 AM

This team has won the most championships in the modern NBA era by an enormous margin.  They will figure it out, and playing in LA is a big draw to many players.  All it takes is for one thing to go your way and the entire franchise can turn around, just look at the Clippers with CP3, one fortuitous bounce.  In a year when LBJ is a free agent and the draft class is historically deep it wouldn't take much to have that one fortuitous bounce happen right away.

#153 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,174 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:19 AM

To draw in some superstars in 2014 we first have to have a great season this year. Obviously winning a title is a long shot. But finish with 52 wins and play solid in the playoffs. No star wants to come to a team that just tanked or had an awful season.

#154 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:25 AM

To draw in some superstars in 2014 we first have to have a great season this year. Obviously winning a title is a long shot. But finish with 52 wins and play solid in the playoffs. No star wants to come to a team that just tanked or had an awful season.

If Kobe was healthy I'd say above .500 is very plausible, seeing as how Howard never excelled in MDA's "system". Plus moving Gasol back to center and being the lone big will actually improve his numbers and I actually think Nash is the x factor, how much has he been motivated by all these talk of 'old'.

Ultimately Kobe's injury trumps all prospects at making the playoffs, the team just wouldn't be able to put up enough points. Unless we get some surge from an unknown source. I just don't think Kobe should rush back to make them a playoff team, not worth it.

Just stating I am against tanking as well.

Edited by Ven21, July 06, 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#155 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,174 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I agree Kobe's health is huge. But. This team will play with a lot more freedom without having to force feed Dwight. The ball movement will be better. Defensively it's going to be a struggle because of the coach. But hopefully we can sign some cheap wings and another solid big. I say the lakers can finish anywhere from the 5th to 8th seed. Regardless of what happens I will be keeping my eye on Pau he wanted to play on the post well big boy here's your chance.

#156 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Actually, you can blame Mitch. His job is to acquire talent that can work on the court together and produce wins. That didn't happen.

With that said, there isn't anyone else I'd want as the Lakers' GM. He's great at what he does, but let's not ignore his failures.

Although the front office does get blame for a disappointing season, it would have been impossible to think that Nash and Dwight couldn't run the pick and roll. Everybody thought it would be automatic. The only blame I give the front office was trying to build around a 39 year old PG.

#157 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:58 AM

I think we have to wait and find out what the timetable on Kobe's return is. Theres reports saying he is healing at a 'superhuman' pace and could be on track for opening night. I would hate to see him come back early though.

I'm also against tanking. We all know this team isnt going to tank with Kobe. Plus Nash would not tank in possibly his last season in the league. It just aint gonna happen. Fill the team with some role players and see what the can do.

Call me crazy, but i am actually excited to see what this team can do next season.

#158 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:18 AM

We could score big next year.

Bogut is an very good defensive center, bettered only by Howard. Could get George and Wall to probably.

Throw Kobe and Pau resigned on cheap you have a very good starting 5.

#159 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,185 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:19 AM

We could score big next year.

Bogut is an very good defensive center, bettered only by Howard. Could get George and Wall to probably.

Throw Kobe and Pau resigned on cheap you have a very good starting 5.

Bogut is injury prone

George and Wall are restricted free agents, meaning that their respective team can and will most likely match any offer.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#160 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Bogut is injury prone

George and Wall are restricted free agents, meaning that their respective team can and will most likely match any offer.

Sure he is injury prone, but we don't have to offer him a max deal. Unless we try a deal with Oden or Bynum and it pays off we won't find a better center IMO.

Yeah George will probably be matched, but I don't think Wizards match a max deal to Wall.

I was just trying to be optimistic, yes I think pacers would match any offer to George.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ByeDwight, Rebuild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users