Photo

What now?

ByeDwight Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

Poll: What now? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What do we do now?

1. Tank for 2014 draft and go all out in 2014 FA class (14 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

2. Try compete this year and go all out in the 2014 FA class (40 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. Trade away/amnesty nash, pau kobe and whoever we can get to tank even harder (10 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:41 AM

How about

John Wall or Avery Bradley

MarShon Brooks

Paul George or Danny Granger

Kris Humphies

Gortat

All at a discounted rate Miami Heat style ..... Plus Kobe, Nash and Pau. Discounted also

Alright here's some free agents for 2014  I'll italic the team options that will probably be picked up if I miss a few oh well lol but here's a small list.

Point Guards
Avery Bradley
Ramon Sessions

Kyrie Irving

Norris Cole

Brandon Knight

Eric Bledsoe

Ricky Rubio

Isaiah Thomas

John Wall(Qualifying offer he may or may not take)

Damian Lillard

Shooting guard:

MarShon Brooks

Lou Williams

Klay Thompson

Jamal Crawford(team option)

Thabo Sefolosha

Jeremy Lamb

Iman Shumpert

Bradley Beal

Evan Turner

Small Forwards:

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Paul George

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Jimmy Butler

Rudy Gay

Quincy Pondexter

Harrison Barnes

Chandler Parsons

Danny Granger

Kawhi Leonard

Michael Beasley

Power Forwards:

Zach Randolph
Kris Humphries

Dirk Nowitzki

Jared Sullinger

Kenneth Faried

Marcus Morris

Earl Clark

Derrick Williams

Dante Cunningham

Anthony Davis

Boris Diaw

Thomas Robinson

Derrick Favors

Centers:
DeMarcus Cousins

Anderson Varejao

Nazr Mohammed

Chris Bosh

Andre Drummond

Jordan Hill

Enes Kanter

Marcin Gortat

So you're telling me the Lakers can't get ANY of those players enough to make a splash?  Even with enough money for two max contracts?  

I only posted maybe half of how many there are by the way...

Edited by lakersince75, July 06, 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#122 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,073 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:45 AM

Not a lot of those players can turn the franchise around or are even worth max-like money to begin with. 

You have enough money for two MAX year contracts, you can still extend that movie to get other pieces as in more than two players.

There's a lot of players up there that could be had for less than a max and could still help the Lakers.

In terms of both of our "home runs"

There's three main ones not named LeBron james.

There's Paul George, Carmelo Anthony and John Wall.

John Wall and Paul George are restricted and after another year of trying to carry the Knicks to no avail Carmelo will likely opt out.

So the Lakers homerun would be a combo of John Wall and Carmelo or John Wall and Paul George, or either one of the three.

But even if they didn't land them(there's one I'm VERY sure they could)  then they'd still have enough money worth a second max contract which they could extend elsewhere to other players or another role player. 

There's plenty of moves the Lakers could make and we'd have the cap space most other teams would dream of and NOT be in our positions.

I'm sure some fans want us to tank, win the lottery, draft Wiggins, and also bring in two max players for that 2014 off-season afterwards but... that's likely not gonna happen, especially the tanking part.  

So I'd say we're in good position to sign at the very least Carmelo, and even then we have a whole other max contract worth of money to spend. 

That's why it's wide open for us in 2014.   A move WILL happen, I'm 95% sure of it.  Even if it's not a huge home run, we're gonna get some good pieces moving forward and there's a lot of players in that pool that can add to just that, like Marshon Brooks and Avery Bradley.  If we got those two.... that would still be amazing and very helpful moving forward.

And we'd likely have a LOT more money left over still. So yeah.

Edited by Majesty, July 06, 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#123 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:48 AM

You have enough money for two MAX year contracts, you can still extend that movie to get other pieces as in more than two players.

There's a lot of players up there that could be had for less than a max and could still help the Lakers.

In terms of both of our "home runs"

There's three main ones not named LeBron james.

There's Paul George, Carmelo Anthony and John Wall.

John Wall and Paul George are restricted and after another year of trying to carry the Knicks to no avail Carmelo will likely opt out.

So the Lakers homerun would be a combo of John Wall and Carmelo or John Wall and Paul George, or either one of the three.

But even if they didn't land them(there's one I'm VERY sure they could)  then they'd still have enough money worth a second max contract which they could extend elsewhere to other players or another role player. 

There's plenty of moves the Lakers could make and we'd have the cap space most other teams would dream of and NOT be in our positions.

I'm sure some fans want us to tank, win the lottery, draft Wiggins, and also bring in two max players for that 2014 off-season afterwards but... that's likely not gonna happen, especially the tanking part.  

So I'd say we're in good position to sign at the very least Carmelo, and even then we have a whole other max contract worth of money to spend. 

That's why it's wide open for us in 2014.   A move WILL happen, I'm 95% sure of it.  Even if it's not a huge home run, we're gonna get some good pieces moving forward and there's a lot of players in that pool that can add to just that, like Marshon Brooks and Avery Bradley.  If we got those two.... that would still be amazing and very helpful moving forward.

And we'd likely have a LOT more money left over still. So yeah.

I would really rather the Lakers not go after Carmelo Anthony, he's not a franchise player and just an offensive blackhole. I doubt the Pacers let go of Paul George. So maybe LA gets John Wall and 2 more mediocre players, that's still not going to be close to a contender. 

#124 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:52 AM

You know, how the organization handled the Dwight thing will probably turn off FAs too.

I don't know how many players are going to want to sign with a team that won't cater to them at all.

Posted Image

#125 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,073 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:55 AM

I would really rather the Lakers not go after Carmelo Anthony, he's not a franchise player and just an offensive blackhole. I doubt the Pacers let go of Paul George. So maybe LA gets John Wall and 2 more mediocre players, that's still not going to be close to a contender. 

Carmelo and Kobe I think would be fine. 

Carmelo showed that he can effectively playing off ball and can be very deadly, he showed this in the Olympics.  If Kobe is still here, and by all intents and purposes he should be, Carmelo wouldn't asked to be the team leader, he'd be asked to be what he is, a scorer off ball that can iso some of the times.

But he wouldn't have to be carrying the team by himself like he does in New York, because Kobe would be the one finding him for shots after drawing double teams.

Kobe has always wanted to pair up with Carmelo and sees him as a little brother and feels he'd listen to what he had to teach him, even saying he's sure one day Carmelo would get tired of losing to him in the playoffs :laughing:

I think Carmelo wouldn't shun Kobe's lessons the way Dwight did and he could be a very valuable asset.

Throw in John Wall to that equation and you got a contender.  

Heck Paul George, John Wall and Kobe Bryant is a contender.

The key would be finding a way to get the Wizards to part with Wall but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

The only for sure I can see us obtaining in 2014 is Carmelo.   And on this team as an off ball scorer to Kobe, I would love to see.  I don't think Kobe throws it in his hands in nearly every play at the beginning of the shot clock and says "make it happen" but I do think Kobe can spoonfeed Carmelo for easy shots as he's been known to do throughout his career.

Kobe'd know how to maximize Carmelo's strengths and Carmelo can play off ball well, he can play it better than Nash imo and I think that we could be effective.

NOW if Kobe wasn't here, and we were asking Carmelo to run everything, then I'd have my doubts, but as long as Kobe is here I don't have as high of worries of having Carmelo. 

One more year carrying New York oughta do it :laughing:    One more year of an early round exit he'll be calling Kobe talking about "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!! PLEASE!!!"  :laughing:

You know, how the organization handled the Dwight thing will probably turn off FAs too.

I don't know how many players are going to want to sign with a team that won't cater to them at all.

From what I'm hearing a lot of people feel like Dwight made the decision for "instant gratification" but ultimately feel that the Lakers WOULD have built the proper team around him as it's their history.    They don't see the Lakers as the bad guy especially considering HOW Dwight left and a lot of them took ti as him being unable to live up to Kobe's standards nor accept the challenge.   Dwight's pretty much become the vilified one yet again and if he fails to get a ring in Houston he will remain that way and the problem will become "him" over management... again and according to many of the forums, a lot of people didn't think he deserved all the attention. So I don't think we suffered any groundbreaking hits in the media eye ;)

The only thing the Lakers didn't do for Dwight was get Phil Jackson.  Which was a mistake imo but it's not gonna haunt them in the eyes of free agents imo.

They tried to move players but financially they couldn't.  They couldn't unload Pau to give him the stretch 4 he wanted(yes it was DWIGHT as well who wanted the stretch four as he said the Rockets running "Orlando Magic style" basketball was what wooed him, as in 4 out 1 in and when we tried to run Gasol on the perimeter we saw the results.  Dwight wants the FULL paint which is why he went to Houston as he sees them as "Orlando with Harden" his words)   That doesn't happen with Pau in the paint. 

I don't think THAT is gonna scare off the likes of Carmelo or John Wall or Paul George.

Edited by Majesty, July 06, 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#126 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:57 AM

I agree. Carmelo has his games where he is an offensive jugganaut but then he will have times where he will get you 45 points but shoot 30%. With Kobe still on the team they will be taking 90% of the Lakers shots.

It's going to be interesting to see what the front office does after next season. They keep talking about keeping room for cap space so they obvisiously have big plans.

#127 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Do you guys think LeBron is a long shot? After a successfull stint with Miami and also Wade starting to age, he might want a new challenge with the Lakers. I dont see it happening but anything can happen in this league.

#128 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:04 AM

Never rule out any possibilities. Some of the moves in this free agency so far should indicate that.

#129 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:05 AM

Maybe the FO didn't want #12 as much as they led on. Maybe they wanted more than a one dimensional offensive player. Maybe they thought #12 was better than he actually was. I can't see them choosing MDA over #12 if that was a major part of it. I think 3 quarters through the season, they were going to have major issues resigning him. Then when Kobe went down and he couldn't carry what would be the same team this year he said Eff This!!

#130 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,073 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:05 AM

Do you guys think LeBron is a long shot? After a successfull stint with Miami and also Wade starting to age, he might want a new challenge with the Lakers. I dont see it happening but anything can happen in this league.

Depends how successful Miami is in the playoffs this year.  If they get swept, I'd say he has a pretty good chance.   Otherwise losing a close series, unless the wheels completely fall off in the process to the point he feels "yeah..we're done here." then he's gonna probably stay.

I agree. Carmelo has his games where he is an offensive jugganaut but then he will have times where he will get you 45 points but shoot 30%. With Kobe still on the team they will be taking 90% of the Lakers shots.

It's going to be interesting to see what the front office does after next season. They keep talking about keeping room for cap space so they obvisiously have big plans.

With Kobe Melo wouldn't be asked to create the offense as often and would see more of an off ball role similar to what he had in the Olympics.  

He won't take 90% of the shots, and if he does, Kobe will be feeding them to him 70% of the time for probably a higher percentage ;)

Carmelo off ball to Kobe is deadly!!

Carmelo having to initiate everything is deadly for his team...

That's why I said, if we have Kobe, I don't worry so much if Carmelo is here.

Edited by Majesty, July 06, 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#131 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:08 AM

I think NO SHOT!! Why would he? Miami can retool just as easy as we can. LeBron would go back to Cleveland and play with Irving before coming to LA. And if Wade is aging then what the hell are Nash and Kobe doing?? If I were the King of Miami I wouldn't bail out on them in trying times. Would you like it if Kobe bailed out on us right now??

Edited by lakersince75, July 06, 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#132 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:19 AM

If Kobe comes back in December and starts to play, say in February, at a Kobe-esque level, that would be a positive result in his situation.  So we only have him for less than half a season anyway.  I would talk to him now and let him know that the expectation for 2014 is that he will be paid no more than $10m.  That way, he knows the plan, no surprises in 2014.

Manage Nash and Gasol's minutes until the trade deadline so they dont get hurt.

Then, I start selling.  Nash goes first before he gets hurt again.  Draft picks in return, agree to pick up some of his salary of need be.

Gasol for draft picks.  Should be some attraction to his expiring contract.

Amnesty MWP.

Find a bunch of young guys this year and let them play, may be we find a diamond in there somewhere.

Hire Mitch some help to evaluate young talent.

Hire a real coach.

We can turn this around but it will take time and a commitment not to go for the quick fix.

#133 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:45 AM

Lolkers haha

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#134 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:41 AM

All I can say about Carmelo is Defense...Or lack there of...Anyone we get is going to have to be a young defensive minded player ala Paul George. With Kobe, Nash and a possible slow footed Pau, we'll need all the quick footed defense we can find

Depends how successful Miami is in the playoffs this year.  If they get swept, I'd say he has a pretty good chance.   Otherwise losing a close series, unless the wheels completely fall off in the process to the point he feels "yeah..we're done here." then he's gonna probably stay.

With Kobe Melo wouldn't be asked to create the offense as often and would see more of an off ball role similar to what he had in the Olympics.  

He won't take 90% of the shots, and if he does, Kobe will be feeding them to him 70% of the time for probably a higher percentage ;)

Carmelo off ball to Kobe is deadly!!

Carmelo having to initiate everything is deadly for his team...

That's why I said, if we have Kobe, I don't worry so much if Carmelo is here.

Edited by lakersince75, July 06, 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#135 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I don't see Melo coming if we still have D'antoni coaching us. No chance.

A coaching change will be needed to lure these big free agents. Not sure many of them will want to play under MDA. I know it probably wont happen and has been brought up so many times, but the Lakers would be alot more appealing to free agents if Phil was the coach.

Edited by dyls5, July 06, 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#136 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Sell the franchise to TWC.  Seriously.  They have $5B over the next 25 years invested already and I bet would entertain the chance to protect their investment by buying it altogether.  They will take a long term view, unlike the current group of dysfunctional in-fighters.

#137 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:49 AM

LMAO at trying to compete this year. Yall just dont get it do ya?

Sure with Nash, Pau, Ron and possibily a few court appearances with limited minutes by KB we can go for 44-47 wins. Be a seven seed and get killed in round 1. Why?

How is that going to help.....lol.

Win 15 games for 3 years straight and get a few top 10 picks and be ACTUALLY competitive as opposed to just THEORETICALLY competitive.

Edited by LakersGAFan, July 06, 2013 - 06:49 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#138 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:55 AM

This ticks me off

https://twitter.com/...362329326452736

When asked if Phil Jackson being coach would've affected decision, Dwight Howard said he asked Lakers to hire Jackson earlier in the season.

Even if Dwight was in the wrong in the management's eyes you still have to pick the player between the two. Ugh come on

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#139 onetrackt

onetrackt

Rookie

• 949 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq,Kobe,LO, Nick the Quick

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:30 AM

It's kind of hard seeing any big names come to the Lakers via free agency while Jim Buss and Mike D'Antoni are involved. 

#140 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,763 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:35 AM

You guys have no hope on this team

What reason have they given us to be hopeful?  This team got thrashed by OKC with Bynum, Pau and a healthy Kobe. This isnt better than what it was 2 years ago.  Pau has gotten worse, Kobe is most likely NOT going to be elite and age is taking over and Nash is who knows what he will give the team.  You can look at about 5-6 teams in the West that are clearly better than the Lakers at this point. 

Everyone keeps saying the Lakers dont tank.  They dont have to.  They are going to lose a lot of games this year.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ByeDwight, Rebuild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users