Photo

Earl Clark signs 2 year deal with Cleveland (team option 2nd year)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#121 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Max is max.  We have Bird Rights, so we could have matched or offered more.

The "2014 cap space" excuse is BS, also.  The contract he signed with Cleveland has a team option for the second year, so all we had to do is give him the EXACT SAME contract to keep him...then not pick up the option if we really wanted $4.5 million more in cap space next offseason.

Just stupid.

And Howard has nothing to do with it.  With or without him, we need Clark...but especially without.  We can still give Howard the max deal, also, regardless of what we gave Clark.  Once we lose Dwight, though, we're screwed without Clark.

Lakers gonna lake.  EVERYONE wants to play for us, though!  Look at our history.

Clark had every reason to leave us.  MDA would have never given him the minutes he deserved if it wasn't for Gasol's injury...repeated this many times before.  Then, when he did, he made a fool of Clark by yelling at him during timeouts, and playing him three different positions while demanding consistency.  Doesn't matter what he said about LA...he probably loves the city, loves his teammates, but D'Antoni is going to ruin all of this for us...and he'll be a big factor in Howard going to Houston, also.

#122 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,799 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:03 PM

The Lakers are not going to sign guys to multi year deals. Its all about the "CAP SPACE" for them.

Team option for the second year.

#123 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Time to update the thread title...

#124 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,445 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:09 PM

As a free agent, any player doesn't have to sign back with his previous squad. The Lakers wanted him back on their terms, well obviously he wasn't feeling it and went to a spot that had better terms. I hate to see him roll out but the Lakers put all their eggs in the Dwight basket and won't move a single egg until he either takes it or walks.

I wish him well with the Cavs. Playing with Irving, Waiters and Benney should be fun for him.

Cleveland has money to blow too. Like 25 mill. Dan Gilbert is hustling and I don't blame him for it either.
Posted Image

#125 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,958 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:13 PM

The question I still wonder is how much could we have paid him having his bird rights.  His last contract was 1.2 million so, how much could we have offered him via his bird rights?  Could we have offered him 4.5m or more?  

I know we couldn't have gotten his FULL bird rights because our contract we got him off of wasn't a three year one. 

As far as I know you need to be with a team or have a contract worth 3 years in order to use Bird rights.

Since Earl to my knowledge was coming off a 2 year contract, that would make us eligible for "Early Bird" rights.

So can someone with knowledge of how that works tell me how much we could have paid him being that the 2 year was a 1.2 million dollar contract?   And if it would have been less than 4.5 million.

Cause if it would have been less then we wouldn't have beat the Cavs money wise anyway.

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#126 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,653 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:19 PM

When you're traded, your bird rights are traded too. As long as you're on the same contract.

Clark was our player. We had his bird rights and we could've gave him more than any other team, regardless of cap situation.

This is a stupid move. We pay Artest double this and we can't give Clark the same exact contract with a team option? 2014 is [expletive]. Nobody of any significance is leaving their team. LeBron is not coming here, Jimmy. Not because we're the "Lakers."

The incompetence of this front office is really making me impatient as a fan and I've grown to not support anything they do. If Kobe wasn't on this roster, I'd be done frankly. This is pathetic.
iyjywo.jpg

#127 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,958 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Alright here you go.  Time to stop complaining.

We couldn't give Earl FULL Early Bird rights because he wasn't coming off a 3 year contract.

He was on a 2 year contract from Orlando, which means "Early Bird" is all we could offer

here's the rule

A team may use the Early Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent for up to 175% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course) or 104.5% of the average salary in the previous season, whichever is greater (see question number 31 for the definition of "average salary"). Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Early Bird is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception, and qualifying players are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA.

ALRIGHT I calculated it

175% of his previous contract   (1,240,000)  is $2,170,000 per year 

That's less than HALF what Cleveland can offer him.

The average player salary for a season is not determined until the league audit in July, following the conclusion of the season. Before the average salary is determined they use an estimated average salary, which is 104.5% of the average salary for the previous season. The estimated average salary figure is used when determining the amount of the Early Bird exception, the cap hold for unsigned free agents, and the salaries of reinstated players. Here are the average salary values for each season:

And I am willing to bet that this number wouldn't beat the Cavs 4.5 million a year either.  Or at least the league audit hasn't happened yet so we have no idea what it could have been and Earl made his decision before it could have been calculated.

So now that I've cleared up precisely how much we could have paid him WITH his bird Rights and the fact it isn't even half what Cleveland offered him per year

How bout we stop complaining and moaning about how we could have offered him more cause we had his bird rights? :) 

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#128 Intense34

Intense34

Rookie

• 11 posts
  • Fan Since:You were born
  • Fav. Laker:West

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Our bench is looking worse now and older...WTF are the Lakers thinking???!!!

You can't offer a young guy like Clark to have him continue to improve and a contributor in the next several seasons...

All I know is the Lakers brain trust died with Dr. Buss...

#129 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,653 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Majesty you are wrong, sorry. You're complicating things.

From our very own Eric Pincus,

They have Clark's Bird Rights, enabling the Lakers to pay him up to an eight-figure salary -- but that should be well above market.

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-76526924/
iyjywo.jpg

#130 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,958 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Our bench is looking worse now and older...WTF are the Lakers thinking???!!!

You can't offer a young guy like Clark to have him continue to improve and a contributor in the next several seasons...

All I know is the Lakers brain trust died with Dr. Buss...

Read my post.

#131 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,605 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hopefully we can land Copeland then

#132 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,958 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Majesty you are wrong, sorry. You're complicating things.

From our very own Eric Pincus,

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-76526924/

We don't qualify for Earl's MAX bird rights far as I know because the Orlando contract was a 2 year contract and in order for Bird Rights you need to be with a team at LEAST 3 years.   We could only offer him "early bird" rights because of that.

But let me humor it for a second.   I'll calculate MAX Bird rights for you. 

Maximum Bird Rights is 250% of the players Salary

250% of Earl Clark's 1,240,000  Salary

is 3,100,000

4.5 mill a year > 3.1 mill a year

Still ain't enough

So yeah.

Whether we had MAX Bird rights or early bird rights we still couldn't pay Earl up to or more than 4.5 million a year.

Sorry, you can't blame the front office for this one.

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#133 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:34 PM

wow. wtf is mitch doing. he better have something big coming other than D12 signing.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#134 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,958 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:35 PM

wow. wtf is mitch doing. he better have something big coming other than D12 signing.

Early Bird Rights or MAX Bird Rights we couldn't pay Earl even close to 4.5 million a year.  

Not the FO's fault.

#135 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Tired of this fanbase.

Is earl Clark gonna win us a title?

is he the difference between a championship and runner up?

Oh no, welll Why i this discussion about the front office being frugal even being discussed.

FRUGAL?

Why sign Steve Nash at all?

Why put any money into the Dwight efforts?

Why not amnesty Kobe or Pau?

oh, you have no answers huh? Not surprising.

#136 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,766 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:40 PM

^ Lakers

Damn it, my image didn't come up. Never mind, lol.

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, July 04, 2013 - 01:41 PM.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#137 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:41 PM

how do they care about cap space? overpaying ron and pau. pau not even worth half of what he's making

Many would disagree that Pau isn't worth that. Maybe in context to cap space.. But that was a reward for being the Robin of two title team sand KOBE spoke up for him

#138 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q32

32. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (or two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

• When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team has full Bird rights following the third season.

Earl Clark has been in the league for 5 years, and he didn't move to another team in FA until now. He just re-signed every time, and being traded doesn't affect his bird rights at all.

Posted Image

#139 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,958 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q32

Earl Clark has been in the league for 5 years, and he didn't move to another team in FA until now. He just re-signed every time, and being traded doesn't affect his bird rights at all.

Full Bird rights of 250% of Earl Clark's 1,240,000  Salary

is 3,100,000

4.5 mill a year is still more

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#140 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 689 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:44 PM

I don't see Earl going to Cleveland helping neither Earl, Cle's rotation, nor the Lakers. There goes another solid role player, sigh.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users