Photo

Earl Clark signs 2 year deal with Cleveland (team option 2nd year)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,197 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ok one yea we can offer him more. We have bird rights with him so we can give him a better contract. How do you think we are able to offer dwight such a big contract. 

Also I never say he's more important. Im saying that he is an important player who giving him up because we didn't want to pay him a little extra is going to hurt us. He's young and has tons of potential. 

You're right forgot about his bird rights.  But we are only gonna go "so far" as in we aren't gonna OVERpay him. 

One of the biggest reasons for that is because of our 2014 plan.   I'm sure this was made apparent to him.

We're not gonna overpay Clark it would be unwise to.   

Basically if he asked for a large 4 year contract that probably isn't gonna happen.

But if he doesn't overprice himself he should be a Laker next year.  Unless Cleveland is just offering SO MUCH that he couldn't say no to it.   I wouldn't put it past Cleveland to offer him an amount that is unprecedented. 

And it ain't like we're NOT giving Dwight the max contract.    We'll probably give Clark what is more than viable.  It would just be up to him whether he wanted that or if he wanted to be grossly overpaid by a team like Cleveland.

Edited by Majesty, July 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#42 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:37 PM

So we are basically getting on hands and knees for dwight but we can give clark who actually wants to be part of this team a little extra. 

Or maybe they are doing what they always do with their restricted free agents and telling him to go get his best offer, then come back to us and we'll see if it makes sense financially. 

Earl Clark screwed himself in this situation.  He already said he'd take less to stay with the Lakers and they are holding him to his word. 

#43 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,888 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Clark didnt say he would take less than he's worth. He ment it by if a team like the cavs offered him a bigger deal he would still go with the lakers. But if were going to offer him some [expletive] deal why the hell should he stay. 

Were over paying a bunch of old guys like pau,nash, MWP but hey when we gotta spend a mill more to get a young talent, god forbid we do. 

#44 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,197 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Why would you assume our deal would be [expletive]y?

#45 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Clark didnt say he would take less than he's worth. He ment it by if a team like the cavs offered him a bigger deal he would still go with the lakers. But if were going to offer him some [expletive] deal why the hell should he stay. 

Were over paying a bunch of old guys like pau,nash, MWP but hey when we gotta spend a mill more to get a young talent, god forbid we do. 

Unless I missed it, there is nothing that tells us how much he was offered by the Lakers.   Let's wait and find out the facts before blaming the front office for low balling him on the offer. 

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,523 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Im sure he felt ok about taking a bit less to sign in LA but 3yrs 10M to a guy that is riding off a breakout "stretch" vs 1yr at 3M is hard to turn down.  I cant blame Earl Clark one bit for wanting to secure money that he could possibly never see again. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,197 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Unless I missed it, there is nothing that tells us how much he was offered by the Lakers.   Let's wait and find out the facts before blaming the front office for low balling him on the offer. 

gif-picard-clapping.gif

#48 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 881 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:06 PM

As much as I want him back, I can live with him leaving if he gets a good contract from the Cavs or another team. At the end of the day he has a young family, so financially security is a must first and foremost as a young player. This could be his only chance to get a MMLE to MLE type contract. As WC mentioned we don't know what the Lakers offer is or for that matter what the Cavs have offered him so we will have to wait and see. I do agree he shouldn't have said he would come back cheaply, but the fact is MONEY can change anyone's mind. I hope he does remain a Laker though.

#49 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,895 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 03, 2013 - 12:40 AM

If he stays fine, if he leaves fine.

#50 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,729 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:56 AM

It's not often you are wanted for your talents in life.. Maybe he's enjoying the experience of just that

ap1.png

#51 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:17 AM

Not worried.  He should be meeting with other teams to gauge his worth.  His agent would be inept if he didn't advise him to do so.

I, like many others here, feel that his decision will be greatly affected by Dwight's decision.  If Dwight re-signs, no worries...we'll have more than enough interest to play on the cheap by good role players.  If Dwight leaves, so does our hope of cheap free agent labor.

#52 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,125 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Clark was inconsistent after a good start. But given minutes he will be a decent player. If only he improves his interview skills ...

#53 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I hope he stays in LA

The North Remembers

#54 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,284 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Back to free agency. Agent says Earl Clark had "really good visit" w Cavs. BUT Lakers and Clippers in the picture.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#55 apimentel24

apimentel24

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Name:ToyoLaker
  • Fan Since:1983

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I thought he played really hard and showed hustle...however... Once teams had a second chance to see Eazy he played mediocre at best. If the Lakers are gonna resign him (which I have a feeling he won't $$) he really needs to work on his offensive game..continue to hustle and play D and he can be a good player in the league.. I think like Lakers FO if he wants to be here he needs to sign on our terms

Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise. - Kobe Bryant

#56 Rad

Rad

• 1,641 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:45 PM

I thought he played really hard and showed hustle...however... Once teams had a second chance to see Eazy he played mediocre at best. If the Lakers are gonna resign him (which I have a feeling he won't $$) he really needs to work on his offensive game..continue to hustle and play D and he can be a good player in the league.. I think like Lakers FO if he wants to be here he needs to sign on our terms

I think the general consensus was he hit a wall. The guy purely wasn't used to playing so many minutes.

#57 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Please don't go to the Clippers, Earl. I don't want to see another ex Laker running around in a Clippers jersey.

#58 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Please don't go to the Clippers, Earl. I don't want to see another ex Laker running around in a Clippers jersey.

Agreed. If I had to choose two teams I disliked the most in the NBA, it would be the Clippers and the Heat. The Clippers are poaching everything ever since they got Paul and his big mouth. Losing Clark to them would hurt.

#59 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Breaking tweet by Chris Broussard....

@Chris_Broussard 1m
Source: Clippers have interest in Earl Clark

#60 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Agreed. If I had to choose two teams I disliked the most in the NBA, it would be the Clippers and the Heat. The Clippers are poaching everything ever since they got Paul and his big mouth. Losing Clark to them would hurt.

Yeah I will be really upset if he decided to join the Clippers. He became a fan favorite for the Lakers and would hate to see him playing for the cross town rivals. I can just see all the arrogant Clippers fans claiming him and saying they turned him into a great player. It makes me mad just thinking about it haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users