Photo

Earl Clark signs 2 year deal with Cleveland (team option 2nd year)

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#221 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,114 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:00 PM

There's a First Take segment on YouTube about it. It's one of the ones where they talk about the state of the Lakers post-Dwight. He said it was common knowledge around the Lakers Organization how MDA treated Clark, or something of the sort.

Common knowledge that was reported nowhere else but his mouth?

SAS talks out of his rear a lot and says some idiotic stuff as if its well known fact when its never been reportd.

I really think they are fed their lines on that show some of the time.

When he says "what if someone told Kareem he was a finished product at 27?" When if you look at Kareems stats at 27 they are astounding.

Someone with basketball knowledge would know that but I'm sure he is fed those lines or just says them out of his rear. For that segment I'm sure they said "big up this and that, fabricate a few things just make the organization look bad."

I'm sure if Earl Clark starts having a bad show and is mentioned SAS will call him a scrub that was lucky to get playing time in LA.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#222 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,432 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:33 PM

This isn't some big FA news update where SAS says, "According to my sources, I am hearing that Dwight wants out of LA". This is just insight as to what the relationship really was between MDA and Clark. This is small news.

I 100% believe SAS pertaining to this. This is a guy (MDA) that had no problems benching and slamming Gasol in post game interviews just a week or two into his new job. I have no problem believing that MDA would go after Clark in the manner that SAS presented because 1. MDA has a stupid huge ego and 2. Clark was merely the 12th man on the team prior to MDA playing him in any significant role. From that point on, I'm sure MDA thought he could treat Clark as he saw fit because Clark was a nobody before MDA decided to play him.

#223 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,114 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:42 PM

1) Everyone was agreeing with D'antoni when he benched Gasol because Gasol was playing terrible.

2) It wasn't until the final few games of the season that people forgot how garbage Gasol was up until that point. In fact it was as close as our two recent loss to the wizards and the warriors people still despised Gasol and didn't want him to start cause it screwed up everything.

But suddenly when Gasol played well D'antoni was an "idiot" for benching him and sitting him at the end of games despite him contributing nothing and costing us games because D'antoni didn't bench him after that.

3) He lowered Clark's minutes for two reason, he had hit the wall stamina wise and had a dead leg and knee that was bothering him and D'antoni said that Clark was an important piece and they'd need him for the playoffs.

D'antoni even referred to himself as an "idiot" for not noticing Clark's skill earlier.

So those are the overlooked things. He doesn't sound like D'antoni's "whipping boy" from that standpoint.

It's just like when they say on ESPN that D'antoni will overlook Jordan Hill "again" completely forgetting that D'antoni picked Hill over Jamison and that if Hill never went down Jamison would have gotten less minutes than Rashard Lewis got in Miami.

But they will constantly go with the same D'antoni story they had a year ago regardless if he changes or does anything different or shows otherwise. That's evident by now and why I rarely listen to ESPN.

On ESPN they bashed D'antoni for not playing Jamison despite Hill being the guy that got time and then they turn around and say D'antoni never played Hill?

They spin it whichever way they want and hope you don't remember what really happened. So I take a lot of things on first take with a grain of salt.

Edited by Majesty, July 25, 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#224 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,432 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have no problem with MDA benching Gasol or calling out his soft play. I'm just pointing out the fact that he actually did it. His first week on the job. MDA has an ego, let's not let that go unnoticed.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't put this past him. On most any other topic, I'd agree with you that SAS is talking bull[expletive], but this story is small news and I can absolutely see MDA pulling that sort of thing with Clark. He's picked on players in the media before, I don't doubt that that he does it behind doors as well.

#225 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,114 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I have no problem with MDA benching Gasol or calling out his soft play. I'm just pointing out the fact that he actually did it. His first week on the job. MDA has an ego, let's not let that go unnoticed.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't put this past him. On most any other topic, I'd agree with you that SAS is talking bull[expletive], but this story is small news and I can absolutely see MDA pulling that sort of thing with Clark. He's picked on players in the media before, I don't doubt that that he does it behind doors as well.

Oh I get that. Ill +1 you when I'm not on my phone :)

• 40,556 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Don't do em' like that Earl.

yo.

#227 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,114 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:26 AM

Too bad Brown never uses him. 

#228 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:01 AM

Ehh...I liked Earl with us for his short decent streak but he's been trash in CLE.  Don't let that highlight fool you into think his issues lie with Brown.  Dude is avg 36% from the field and has started 17 games this year. 

Too bad Brown never uses him. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#229 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,856 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:52 AM

this dude needs to thank MDA for netting him a nice little contract

2div

#230 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,876 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Jalen and Simmons had a segment about people who get good contracts because they look good in a big city like LA and put up 7 ppg, but those 7 points look like 20 because of the city.

Earl is one of those people.

I'm assuming they wont keep him next season though so at least they made the 2nd year a team option.

#231 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted January 24, 2014 - 12:51 PM

And people on this board wanted him back

Bullet dodged

• 40,556 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:52 PM

^ Right. Seriously. I remember well too. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't completely against him staying, just not at the price nor close to what he wanted. Not worth that at all.

yo.

#233 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,114 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Clark would have been fine in D'antoni's system.  But put him in any other system that isn't predicated around placing wings in their most advantageous positions depending on their games and they will struggle.

D'antoni's system was the perfect one for him as you can see.    

At the same time the Lakers weren't about to overpay him, so they didn't ;)  Too bad for Cleveland  :laughing:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users