what will he do ??

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Probably not. He's close to his kids and all that jazz. He needs to be used in a Kidd like role. Shouldn't have so much pressure on him. Need a back-up guard who is capable of spotting him. Max needs to be about 30 minutes a game. Think he can still be productive in this type of role. 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#22 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:19 PM

who? Who do you want that can do that?

Kyle Lowry, the guy the Lakers should have signed instead of Nash.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:20 PM

He needs to be used in a Kidd like role.

Problem is, Kidd finished his career shooting 0-235, or something like that.

Nash isn't going to become an awful shooter, but his incredibly bad defense, and his inability to get to the rim these days, is becoming a huge liability.  Nash can't score enough points, or make enough passes, to make up for it anymore...and that's generally what happens when you age.

So, for a guy who will make a total of $19 million over the next two seasons, leading into him being an eye-opening 41 years old, I really don't care what we do with him...but he can't have a large role on this team.  A big reason why we didn't P&R with him and Dwight is because Nash is no longer the offensive threat he used to be in Phoenix...and the injuries this season only made that worse.

#24 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:21 PM

I personally like him. While his defense does hurt us, it's not like he is completely incompetent. Defense is not 100% physical gifts, it's also intelligence as well. Some fans on this website need to realize that not everybody on the Lakers is a flawless superstar. Nash does have flaws, but he isn't bad to the point where he should be shipped out like nothing. We would have a completely new team every year if we had some of you run the team.

#25 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:23 PM

His defense IS as bad as advertised. He got tore apart by scrubs all last season. He's useless, absolutely useless, on that side of the ball.

#26 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,879 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sessions would have been a nice complement to Nash. Brooks is available. After Howard leaves, maybe the lakers can sign brooks and MDA can play him at center.

#27 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,539 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM

But we got Nash as a PG and are paying him PG money.  You need to look at SGs differently.  $9m per is a stiff price for any shooting guard, much less one that is 40 years old.  Let's look at what could be had in the FA market last year at that position:

OJ May 25 YO Averaged 15/4 at 45%, $4m salary

Jamal Crawford  16/3 at 42%, $5m salary

JR Smith 18/3 at 42%, $3m salary

Not saying I would prefer any of those guys over Nash, my point is that we are overpaying for an SG especially at his age.

Debbie Downer

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,117 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I guess their issue might be the 23 and 10 he may give up every night. I personally like Nash

Fisher gave up career highs to other point guards while scoring 6 points.

Nash is switched defensively on the spot up shooters of other teams and even when another point guard teams him up he can still score 17 while playing off ball to Kobe while being the best shooting point guard in the game.

We've never had a defensive point guard, if you want one wait for Rondo or Irving. 

But we do have the best shooting point guard in the game who is shooting off ball to one of the most defensively paid attention to players in the game.   Perfect scenario.

if Dwight returns, you'll see more pick and roll with him and Kobe than you will with him and Nash because of the defensive attention Kobe garners that Nash no longer does.

Edited by Majesty, June 30, 2013 - 01:32 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:39 PM

His defense IS as bad as advertised. He got tore apart by scrubs all last season. He's useless, absolutely useless, on that side of the ball.

Now I know you are either reacting off his last few games, OR you just don't watch enough of basketball.

nash is a solid defender. Not a horrible one whatsoever.

Now will guys pick on Nash? yes!

Will they pick on Kobe? Yes!

Artest? Yes!

has guys like Kobe picked on Harden? yes!

Any one can get iso'd in this league.

i remember losing a game d, where it seems liek Kobe or someone took a lot of flack, but in the nd Dwight got iso'd against twice by NeNe and we lost the game on those two plays.

Lost 

the game on Dwight being picked on, by just a good center.

the point is, it can happen,

nsh can get shots from the 3-7 foot range which is his version of the lay-up, but Kobe is just a superior offense creator, and he has been a bigger part of his team's offenses even when Nash was winning awards.

#30 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:42 PM

^^^LMFAO

Solid defender, yeah right. Dude was getting TORN APART by scrubs. Not to mention what the actual elite PG's did to him. Anytime we played a good PG he had a doubly terrible game.

Don't ever try to tell me to watch more basketball, by the way. Nash has been a terrible defender his whole career and still is. Did you ever wonder why every team he's ever been on has been awful defensively? Sorry I'm not on his nutsack and I'm a realist but he has major flaws on that side of the ball that hurt this team, BADLY.

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:42 PM

But we got Nash as a PG and are paying him PG money.  You need to look at SGs differently.  $9m per is a stiff price for any shooting guard, much less one that is 40 years old.  Let's look at what could be had in the FA market last year at that position:

OJ May 25 YO Averaged 15/4 at 45%, $4m salary

Jamal Crawford  16/3 at 42%, $5m salary

JR Smith 18/3 at 42%, $3m salary

Not saying I would prefer any of those guys over Nash, my point is that we are overpaying for an SG especially at his age.

Nobne of those guys play defense either, and they are far less efficient shooters, who would notplay with Kobe that well. All would probably come off the bench.

lakers OVERPAY everyone

Kobe could have made 23 million, he makes 30

Pau could have made 14 million, he makes 19

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:43 PM

^^^LMFAO

Solid defender, yeah right. Dude was getting TORN APART by scrubs. Not to mention what the actual elite PG's did to him. Anytime we played a good PG he had a doubly terrible game.

Don't ever try to tell me to watch more basketball, by the way. Nash has been a terrible defender his whole career and still is. Did you ever wonder why every team he's ever been on has been awful defensively? Sorry I'm not on his nutsack and I'm a realist but he has major flaws on that side of the ball that hurt this team, BADLY.

Yet, we played better with him than without him...tell me why that is

#33 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:45 PM

The Lakers advanced defensive stats are worse in the second half of the year than in the first. Not by much, but they are.

Nice try, though.

#34 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Lakers were a bad defensive team all season long. Period. At no point were they even average defensively. To ignore Steve Nash's role in the lackluster defense is foolhardy. Yes, Kobe ballwatched and sucked many games too and we know Pau is slow and MDA can't devise a defensive scheme to save his life, Nash deserves blame for the terrible individual and team defense that he played.

I didn't say it was all his fault. But he's the worst defender on the Lakers at a position where there are dynamic players and that's a problem.

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:01 PM

no it's not. We played well and won, we played bad and lost. Dwight got better we won. Kobe start sharing we won.

No where did the point guard defense matter.

how did nash average 17 in a 20 game span, I mean that means the league must be full of terrible defenders.

lin-Sanity didn't happen against nash.

troy hudson didn't happen against nash

nash's defense is something you CAN say " i'm not satisfied with", but as the PG of a team with kobe and Dwight, plus other guys, Nah was a good piece. i thought his value was higher than pau last season, as far as wins/losses

we won 4 titles with derek Fisher.

nash was a much more valuable player last season than Fish EVER was

#36 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:04 PM

We went 19-13 without Nash, 26-24 with him.

He's not a good defender, by the way.  You know that.

#37 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:06 PM

You're a complete fool if you think PG defense didn't matter at all in the Lakers struggles on the defensive side this year. That's all.

I don't know why you are bringing up Fisher when I've not said 2 words about him. Fisher sucked too. But he wasn't as useless on defense as Nash was.

The Lakers should have tried to get Lowry, period. Lowry is a better player than Nash at this point in their careers. Defense was this team's biggest problem. We don't need more scoring. We need to stop a team every once in awhile. A PG like Lowry would have helped us in that area.

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:07 PM

not a good defender, just better than i thought.

the worst defender i have seen is Sessions. Nash is on par with Fisher. I think few PGs have REAL value defensively

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:09 PM

I like lowry, but he did NOTHING to elevate that team. He is Dragic, or any guy like that.

nash plays well off talent and I bet Toronto would have at least been an organized team with him.

His value is in his efficiency and floor spreading, period.

And Real Deal, put the record of Kobe,Dwight and nash vs kobe, Dwight with Duhon

#40 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 02:10 PM

not a good defender, just better than i thought.

the worst defender i have seen is Sessions. Nash is on par with Fisher. I think few PGs have REAL value defensively

Few?

Bradley

Rondo

CP3

Williams

Hinrich

Kidd

Lowry

Conley

Westbrook

Holiday

0 user(s) are reading this topic