47 replies to this topic

#1 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 30, 2013 - 03:12 AM

If Dwight leaves which it seems like he will, would you consider Center by committee??? Like Zaza Pachulia and Greg Monroe combined 12 million dollars. By the way, if he leaves do you think we can last minute sign and trade like we did Shaq??

Edited by lakersince75, June 30, 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,444 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:20 AM

RESTE_zps484fbd86.jpg

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:43 AM

First priority is to re-sign Dwight, but if that falls through i think the next best thing is to do a sign-and-trade.

The Clippers, Rockets and Warriors could be interesting in that regard. 

I think the idea of letting him walk for nothing and waste the last few good years of Kobe Bryant is a very bad idea. I'd rather see the Lakers do a sign-and-trade with Houston for Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Thomas Robinson than to see Dwight walk for nothing. 

#4 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I could go either way with D12 staying or going, they will have to overhaul the roster massively in the coming years to be competitive, and next year is basically a lost cause either way.  

#5 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:44 AM

First priority is to re-sign Dwight, but if that falls through i think the next best thing is to do a sign-and-trade.

The Clippers, Rockets and Warriors could be interesting in that regard. 

I think the idea of letting him walk for nothing and waste the last few good years of Kobe Bryant is a very bad idea. I'd rather see the Lakers do a sign-and-trade with Houston for Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Thomas Robinson than to see Dwight walk for nothing. 

You would rather take the toxic contracts of Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin than get nothing?  Don't quit your day job.

#6 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,775 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:50 AM

If Dwight leaves no sign and trade. Make the bum get less money. Furthermore the team that takes him shouldn't get to take money off their books by sending out contracts to the lakers. Ps. If Dwight stays he isn't a bum

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:59 AM

You would rather take the toxic contracts of Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin than get nothing?  Don't quit your day job.

I dont think these guys are bad players and i think both guys can be moved quite easily. 

#8 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,788 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Do an S&T for the best deal possible but dont take junk just to say you got something in return.  If he walks, lets face it, we're screwed for several years, given the lack of talent on the roster and lack of draft picks.  Lets not make it worse by taking on a bunch of lousy contracts as well.

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Do an S&T for the best deal possible but dont take junk just to say you got something in return. If he walks, lets face it, we're screwed for several years, given the lack of talent on the roster and lack of draft picks. Lets not make it worse by taking on a bunch of lousy contracts as well.

So cap space in our market is a bad thing?

#10 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,788 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:30 AM

So cap space in our market is a bad thing?

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways.  Of course cap space is a good thing.  That's why you don't take other people's junk contracts just to say you got something in return.

#11 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• 66 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:38 AM

If Dwight leaves which it seems like he will, would you consider Center by committee??? Like Zaza Pachulia and Greg Monroe combined 12 million dollars. By the way, if he leaves do you think we can last minute sign and trade like we did Shaq??

A sign-n-trade of Dwight would be difficult to pull off.  Teams that are under the cap (like Detroit) can simply sign him off the streets.  Under the new CBA, Dwight gets the exact same contract whether he does a sign-n-trade or not.  So there's no reason for him to bother with a sign-n-trade.

The only teams that will benefit from a sign-n-trade are the ones over the salary cap, since they can't sign Dwight off the streets.  But if they are over the luxury tax apron, they can't accept a player in a sign-n-trade at all.  So the number of sign-n-trade destinations is really small.  They have to be over the cap, but under the luxury tax apron.  And of those teams, how many of those destinations will Dwight agree to?  Almost all his target teams are either under the cap, or over the luxury tax. 

Omer Asik's contract is "toxic"?  That's a pretty dumb thing to say.  Asik has a cap hit of only $8.4M per season.  That's a bargain for a 27-yr old defensive center averaging a double-double (10.1 ppg / 11.7 rpg).   If you don't believe that, then just wait until you see the contract Nikola Pekovic signs this summer.  I betcha Pekovic's salary will be between $12M to $13M.

Of course cap space is a good thing.  That's why you don't take other people's junk contracts just to say you got something in return.

Taking back junk contracts is definitely a bad thing.  But taking back good players on good contracts is always a good thing.  Even if you don't want the player himself.  Good players on good contracts are trade assets.  You can always flip them for draft picks, or simply use them to facilitate future trades.  God knows we need all the trade assets we can get.  We already gave up our draft picks in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

This debate is pointless anyway.  Houston isn't gifting us Omer Asik when they can just sign Dwight Howard off the streets.

Edited by hipster.doofus7, June 30, 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#12 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,788 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:53 AM

A sign-n-trade of Dwight would be difficult to pull off.  Teams that are under the cap (like Detroit) can simply sign him off the streets.  Under the new CBA, Dwight gets the exact same contract whether he does a sign-n-trade or not.  So there's no reason for him to bother with a sign-n-trade.

The only teams that will benefit from a sign-n-trade are the ones over the salary cap, since they can't sign Dwight off the streets.  But if they are over the luxury tax apron, they can't accept a player in a sign-n-trade at all.  So the number of sign-n-trade destinations is really small.  They have to be over the cap, but under the luxury tax apron.  And of those teams, how many of those destinations will Dwight agree to?  Almost all his target teams are either under the cap, or over the luxury tax. 

Omer Asik's contract is "toxic"?  That's a pretty dumb thing to say.  Asik has a cap hit of only $8.4M per season.  That's a bargain for a 27-yr old defensive center averaging a double-double (10.1 ppg / 11.7 rpg).   If you don't believe that, then just wait until you see the contract Nikola Pekovic signs this summer.  I betcha Pekovic's salary will be between $12M to $13M.

Taking back junk contracts is definitely a bad thing.  But taking back good players on good contracts is always a good thing.  Even if you don't want the player himself.  Good players on good contracts are trade assets.  You can always flip them for draft picks, or simply use them to facilitate future trades.  God knows we need all the trade assets we can get.  We already gave up our draft picks in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

This debate is pointless anyway.  Houston isn't gifting us Omer Asik when they can just sign Dwight Howard off the streets.

Lots of good points in this post.  Houston is $16m under the cap.  Dwight would get a max deal at (almost) $22m per.  So Houston canot just sign him off the street either, but they are close.  

#13 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I would sign and trade Dwight to the celtics for Rondo, Bradley, and Green.  Not only does it give us good cornerstones for the future but it also gives us not too great of a team so we can potentially be a lottery team for Wiggins haha

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#14 hipster.doofus7

hipster.doofus7

Rookie

• 66 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Lots of good points in this post.  Houston is $16m under the cap.  Dwight would get a max deal at (almost) $22m per.  So Houston canot just sign him off the street either, but they are close.  

It's just a formality for the Rockets.  They can give away Thomas Robinson to some team for nothing, and waive Royce White using the stretch provision.  That would be enough for them to sign Dwight to a max, which is only $20.6M if Dwight signs with anyplace but L.A.

Of course, this whole thread is predicated on the idea that D12 leaves.  I'm pretty sure he ain't going anywhere.  Come Tuesday night, Mitch will sit him down and tell him that Phil has agreed to return if Dwight signs a new contract.  And that will be the end of all this drama. 

I mean for godsakes, Rambis and Madsen are already in the backseat looking over MDA's shoulder, like some kind of mob hit from The Godfather.  Leave the gun, take the cannoli...

#15 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I would sign and trade Dwight to the celtics for Rondo, Bradley, and Green. Not only does it give us good cornerstones for the future but it also gives us not too great of a team so we can potentially be a lottery team for Wiggins haha

Lol

Kobe, Pau, Green, Rondo and Bradley and Nash. We would be vicious bruh.

Not a title contender but better than the Clips.

I think y'all think Kobe is Done or something.

#16 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:00 AM

I wouldnt mind that much if he leaves.

We're doomed this year anyway

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#17 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,788 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:09 AM

It's just a formality for the Rockets.  They can give away Thomas Robinson to some team for nothing, and waive Royce White using the stretch provision.  That would be enough for them to sign Dwight to a max, which is only $20.6M if Dwight signs with anyplace but L.A.

Of course, this whole thread is predicated on the idea that D12 leaves.  I'm pretty sure he ain't going anywhere.  Come Tuesday night, Mitch will sit him down and tell him that Phil has agreed to return if Dwight signs a new contract.  And that will be the end of all this drama. 

I mean for godsakes, Rambis and Madsen are already in the backseat looking over MDA's shoulder, like some kind of mob hit from The Godfather.  Leave the gun, take the cannoli...

I think there is more pulling Dwight to the Rockets than keeping him here, but we'll see.  And you're right its probably just a formality for Houston to create enough cap space if they need to ... but my point was that they are technically not in the "sign off the street" category.  

If you are Dwight, does the inclusion of Rambis and Madsen on the staff make any difference?  Or would you rather hang out with McHale and Olajuwon?

Edited by LakerGeezer, June 30, 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#18 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Dwight will re sign with us and all this bull[expletive] will end. Im sick of you guys bashing this guy and saying lakers are better without him

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#19 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted June 30, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think there is more pulling Dwight to the Rockets than keeping him here, but we'll see.  And you're right its probably just a formality for Houston to create enough cap space if they need to ... but my point was that they are technically not in the "sign off the street" category.  

If you are Dwight, does the inclusion of Rambis and Madsen on the staff make any difference?  Or would you rather hang out with McHale and Olajuwon?

If im dwight, money talks and location as well. 

Los angeles is the place and the money is here. 

Money speaks. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#20 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,788 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 11:25 AM

^Yes it does.  The Houston pitch wil likely address the money part as well.  By my calculations, he loses about $20m after taxes in guaranteed $ by signing in Houston.  So here is how I would address it if I'm Houston:

-It's for playing one less year, you can get a max deal in year 5 as well most likely, barring major injury

-Endorsement opportunities in China are enormous, especially for Houston players (300 m watched the NBA last year in China, many times over the viewing population here)

Somewhere between an extra year and endorsement income (with no state taxes) that $20m gets made up, or close to it.

As far as LA being "the place", that is a matter of personal taste and opinion I suppose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users