289 replies to this topic

#141 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:13 PM

It's like the Farmar thing as well. They're just teasing us with both of these situations. As if at any second now it could be official.

Farmar isnt official? I thought it was a done deal...

#142 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,089 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Not yet, at least... I think: http://lakernation.c...15#entry1388320

#143 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Still finalizing the buyout.

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is Kaman official as well? I mean he hasn't actually been over here yet to sign the contract and have his press conference has he?

yo.

#145 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Is Kaman official as well? I mean he hasn't actually been over here yet to sign the contract and have his press conference has he?

Kaman's meeting with the media tomorrow. Not sure the time though but he signed his contract already, that's why they announced it on Lakers.com

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Updated thread title and first post.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne55s
Lakers moving "closer" in discussions with Kurt Rambis, source says.

Theres no rush for Rambis and the lakers to make a deal. Camp isn't for a while and rambis is just probably mulling things over. He has been helping coaching the summer league a bit I heard so maybe he wants to get some time in and see how he feel about it. I would say he signs. 

Safe to say they've probably settled their beef by now?

Edited by    , July 16, 2013 - 02:39 PM.

yo.

#147 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Kurt Rambis Will Improve Los Angeles Lakers’ Defense in 2013

Lakers1.jpg

According to reports by former Los Angeles Lakers broadcaster Joel Meyers, Kurt Rambis is the new assistant coach to Mike D’Antoni. Rambis will serve primarily as the defensive coach which is a definite concern in 2013 for the Lakers. Rambis previously held the assistant position under Phil Jackson during the championship years. Rambis comes back to Los Angeles after spending time as the Minnesota Timberwolves head coach and ESPN analyst.

http://www.rantsport...efense-in-2013/

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#148 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,205 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:31 PM

If this is true. Great offseason for the lakers. Not good but great

#149 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not sure if there's much Rambis can do. The team is comprised almost entirely of defensive matadors. We'll see though, he did manage to install a decent defense during the 2 championship years and the roster didn't have great defensive players (but obviously way better than this year). 

#150 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Not sure if there's much Rambis can do. The team is comprised almost entirely of defensive matadors. We'll see though, he did manage to install a decent defense during the 2 championship years and the roster didn't have great defensive players (but obviously way better than this year). 

Well let me see if I can breakdown the bad defenders(as in those that can't defend no matter what they do)  along with potential defenders, or those that could be good defenders but don't put forth the effort.

Non defenders:

Steve Nash(never been one in his career but is good at shrinking the floor)
Pau Gasol(age and knees, was a good help defender but can't react the way he used to, still has ok post defense but make him move his feet and you have a free rim)

Moderate defenders:

Kobe Bryant(when he wants to be)
Steve Blake
Jordan Hill(good hustle defender and has good lateral movement and reaction time to catch blocks that would otherwise have gone unchallenged)
Chris Kaman(rim protector and help side blocker but not much else iso wise)
Wesley Johnson(Last year, he held opposing shooting guards and small forwards to a combined average PER of 13.5, well below the league average of 15, according to 82games.com)  as well as having good size, athleticism wingspan and block ability, still raw but he has all the tools and does put in the work to improve them as last year did show post all-star break.

Honorable mention: Jodie Meeks, he tries and he hustles but his size really works against him and has a tendency to leave his man rather than stay home which leads to open 3s for the other team.

Potential Defenders:

Nick Young:  Really has all the tools to be a very good defender, has a 7 foot wingspan, gets off the ground fast and is a good help side blocker as well as an isolation blocker(ask Shannon Brown).  But often doesn't focus on the defensive side of the ball because he feels like if you score on him with a 2 he's gonna dunk on your bust a 3 in your face on the very next possession.     Has all the tools to be a good defender but never really had the focus to stick to it or hone it.    Being around Kobe, as well as Rambis(if we get him) could bring out the better of him on the defensive side and Nick Young promised to "try" on the defensive end this year.

Ryan Kelly: Slow footwork and lateral movement, however Duke's defensive numbers took a dip when Kelly did not play, he is a very underrated shot blocker, when he gets his feet set as well as a good floor shrinker as well as a good help side blocker in college but it has yet to be seen how that translates to the NBA level, because if he decides to switch over and try to help side block a point guard like Westbrook or a small forward like LeBron James we know what the result is going to be.   At the very least he tries on the defensive end, whether or not he can carry it to the NBA level remains to be seen. 

So the only HORRID defenders on this team as in guys that really can't be relied on defensively cause their bodies won't let them or because they just have never been one or no longer have the tools to be ones are Nash and Gasol.

So as far as everyone else goes I'm pretty sure it's something Rambis can work with :) 

So I hope this hiring happens soon!!!

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#151 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,282 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Great news,

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#152 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,799 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nice, who's next Jim Cleamons? Frank Hamblen?

#153 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,976 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Excellent.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#154 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:17 PM

If we still had Dwight and were healthy, we would be title contenders.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#155 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,282 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:35 PM

If we still had Dwight and were healthy, we would be title contenders.

obviously, but the front office handled it wrong imo 

#156 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:39 PM

obviously, but the front office handled it wrong imo 

No. Dwight never wanted to be here. That's his problem and loss, not ours.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#157 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,282 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:55 PM

No. Dwight never wanted to be here. That's his problem and loss, not ours.

Can you blame him? They didn't cater to his needs.. he supposedly your franchise center and when he asked for Phil what they do? Nothing... instead they brought in a coach who was clueless on what to do with the guy. among other things 

#158 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Can you blame him? They didn't cater to his needs.. he supposedly your franchise center and when he asked for Phil what they do? Nothing... instead they brought in a coach who was clueless on what to do with the guy. among other things

Besides Phil Jackson, what needs could we of fulfilled?

Amnestying Kobe? Not happening.

Having a fan stop throwing a jersey at him? We have no control.

Making him feel loved? The man is 26 or 27 with a mind of a 2 year old.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#159 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,282 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Besides Phil Jackson, what needs could we of fulfilled?

Amnestying Kobe? Not happening.

Having a fan stop throwing a jersey at him? We have no control.

Making him feel loved? The man is 26 or 27 with a mind of a 2 year old.

Embrace him more.

#160 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Can you blame him? They didn't cater to his needs..

Yes. You can.

You can VERY much

It was said basically by our front office that of the main reasons they hired D'antoni wasn't because of familiarity with Nash though that was part of it but because of the pick and roll sets that could be run with Dwight and compared it to some of the pick and roll sets he ran in Orlando and felt that he could be used to effectiveness pick and rolling with Nash and Kobe with Howard.

They were correct as Howard was the 2nd best roll finisher last year finishing in the high 70s as a finisher to pick and rolls.

The problem was despite the effectiveness at it Dwight rarely if ever committed to running pick and rolls with Nash or with Kobe, would constantly leave them out of position on picks, would never move to get open after a pick nor commit to making a defense pay for overloading on Nash or Kobe.

The entire reason Nash blew up on Howard in the Miami game is because Nash had become sick of it.

Read up on what Ding wrote about it back then

Steve Nash's Anger at Howard is real: http://www.ocregiste...ash-lakers.html

The writing was on the wall all year.

Dwight eventhough it was something he was the best in the league at out and out REFUSED to run pick and rolls with Nash or Kobe or commit to it with them because HE wanted to prove that he was a post up guy and could be a post up center and despite leading the league in turnovers from the post while getting the 2nd most post touches in the league which they slowed down the pace to accomodate him he STILL didn't bite when they tried to run pick and roll which he was the absolute best in the league at.

I'm sorry but if you're hanging your team out to dry because you refuse to run pick and rolls with the bestp ick and roll point guard in the league as well as Kobe Bryant who has made other people's careers off of pick and rolling to them after drawing the defense then yes.. .YES I can blame him and I can blame him every time he half heartedly set a screen and never moved to make a defense pay for overloading on Nash or Kobe, I can blame him for standing with his hands up while Nash is screaming at him to move so he can pass it to him and Dwight doing nothing, I can blame him for setting a half hearted screen from Kobe and then slowly running to the basket not even looking for the pass and it sailing behind him.

Yes I can blame Dwight the "franchise" center for all these things because each and every time he did that he left his teammates out to dry, his teammates doing EVERYTHING in their power to make things work for him the problem was they were the only ones trying.

So yes I can blame Dwight equivocally for that and I shall.

Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant the entire year was trying to "embrace" Dwight Howard.

They ran more post sets despite the fact he lead the league in turnovers from there, they gave him the 2nd most post touches in the league despite the fact it's not his strength, they put up with his half hearted efforts on pick and rolls till Nash(the ultimate teammate) had enough.

Phil wouldn't have "embraced" Dwight more, he would have poked Dwight's chest, told him to man up and look in the mirror to see what the real problem is because Phil would notice HE(Dwight) wasn't stepping up, and see the true problem which is and always will be himself.    Phil would have told him to man up and would have held him accountable rather than catering to him and bending to his every desire.   Phil didn't do it with Shaq he wouldn't do it with Dwight.

If Phil went to Dwight and said "THIS is what you're going to do.. THIS is what you're going to master, or you're out of here." Like he did with Shaq then Dwight would have ran in the off-season and said "the triangle just ain't for me" regardless of circumstance.

he doesn't want to be held accountable.     The Lakers require much more responsibility from their players, a responsibility and burden Dwight does not want, hence why he is no longer here.

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users