289 replies to this topic

#261 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Yep just blame it all on MDA...that always works.

Of course, it would be awesome if MDA proved everyone wrong. 

I think he's been given an very unfair treatment. I heard him say on an interview, that when you hired a guy like him, you hired a certain style of play. I also think there was certain moves on the drawing board that never happened, like trading Pau, and with the bad start and all the injuries it just wasn't possible to do much. Another point is Howard, who everyone belived would want to do a bit of pick-and-roll, but didnt. 

All that said. MDA should have realized a lot earlier that the roster wasn't build for his system and taken the consequence and played to their strengths. Then we would have been a lot better, D12 a lot happier, Kobe wouldn't have to play 60 min per game and we could have had a totally different situation. Then going forward and in free agency MDA could handpick the players to build with. But he didn't and that's why I want him out. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#262 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Fact is outside of the injuries, we had 4 people with 4 separate agendas.  D12, Kobe, Pau and MDA all wanted different things.  Guys didnt want to sacrifice.  Kobe didnt want to change who he was for Dwight, Dwight was too sensitive and didnt want to acknowledge his strengths as a PnR player and Pau was just iffy all around and has been for some time. 

The team was just a bad fit.  Dwight obviously has maturity issues, Pau is borderline washed, Kobe is probably too intense for some.  Without Fisher, Odom and Phil to balance that out you get what you get. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, July 28, 2013 - 07:28 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#263 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Fact is outside of the injuries, we had 4 people with 4 separate agendas.  D12, Kobe, Pau and MDA all wanted different things.  Guys didnt want to sacrifice.  Kobe didnt want to change who he was for Dwight, Dwight was too sensitive and didnt want to acknowledge his strengths as a PnR player and Pau was just iffy all around and has been for some time. 

The team was just a bad fit.  Dwight obviously has maturity issues, Pau is borderline washed, Kobe is probably too intense for some.  Without Fisher, Odom and Phil to balance that out you get what you get. 

Well i think Kobe and Pau wanted the same thing... its just the new comers had a problem...if we had phil... things would work out better

ap1.png

#264 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thats the point of team sport homie, adjusting so others can fit.  No way Kobe and Pau could want what they had in 2010 and their wants crowd out Dwight's, Nash and MDA.  Wouldnt have worked with Phil either.  I do believe Phil would have been better at managing Kobe as a player and personality and would be the middle man for him and Dwight but roster wise and function wise the team wasnt going to win unless everyone sacrificed something and adjusted to something that was different. 

Well i think Kobe and Pau wanted the same thing... its just the new comers had a problem...if we had phil... things would work out better

#265 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,710 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thats the point of team sport homie, adjusting so others can fit.  No way Kobe and Pau could want what they had in 2010 and their wants crowd out Dwight's, Nash and MDA.  Wouldnt have worked with Phil either.  I do believe Phil would have been better at managing Kobe as a player and personality and would be the middle man for him and Dwight but roster wise and function wise the team wasnt going to win unless everyone sacrificed something and adjusted to something that was different. 

precisely, which is why i said what i said. What did dwight sacrifice? Kobe, Nash, and Pau all sacrificed...and stated such.. MDA didn't until his job was on the line

ap1.png

#266 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,962 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Phil would have gotten in Dwight's face and tore him a new one for not committing.

If Phil went to Dwight and said "This is what you're gonna do and this is what you're gonna master, If you're not gonna do that you won't be here." like he did to Shaq or poked him in his chest and told him to man up. Dwight would have bolted even faster.   Between Phil and Kobe's expectations of him.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#267 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,769 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thank Goodness this is over

@KRambis: It's official. I'm back with the @Lakers. #Assistant coach. Very excited. @ESPN @TWC.

It's official!

#268 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Welcome home, Kurt!

#269 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,410 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Great. Now Kurt, when it comes time to run defense in practice, send MDA out to grab some sandwiches and lock the gym doors.

#270 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:25 AM

our new head coach!  :dance:

Pau Gasol is GONE

#271 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,015 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:29 AM

our new head coach! :dance:

Exactly

#272 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,949 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Cool

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#273 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:25 AM

What did Kobe sacrifice? He still took something like top 3 in FG attempts.  Nash didnt sacrifice b/c he was hurt.  Pau was the only one that clearly made a real change.  You want to make this about Dwight and MDA and in the end every single core player on some level had some stake in the downfall of the team.  Whether it was agenda driven (Dwight, Kobe and MDA all guilty) or Injury (Nash, Hill).  Pau just didnt fit period.  Pau actually should have been traded when they had the chance to get significant value for him. 

precisely, which is why i said what i said. What did dwight sacrifice? Kobe, Nash, and Pau all sacrificed...and stated such.. MDA didn't until his job was on the line

#274 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,710 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:41 AM

What did Kobe sacrifice? He still took something like top 3 in FG attempts.  Nash didnt sacrifice b/c he was hurt.  Pau was the only one that clearly made a real change.  You want to make this about Dwight and MDA and in the end every single core player on some level had some stake in the downfall of the team.  Whether it was agenda driven (Dwight, Kobe and MDA all guilty) or Injury (Nash, Hill).  Pau just didnt fit period.  Pau actually should have been traded when they had the chance to get significant value for him. 

Kobe starting off the season efficient and wanted to just play SG. Yet, Nash got hurt. So, he had to become the facilitator once again, which is a sacrifice. He had to eventually turn into a PG role and dish out 10+ ast on multiple nights. When nash actually played, he couldn't do what he was best at because Dwight wouldn't commit to the Pick n Roll. Pau didn't fit because MDA didn't care about suiting his needs.  

Edited by RobBlake, July 29, 2013 - 10:41 AM.

ap1.png

#275 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Great. Now Kurt, when it comes time to run defense in practice, send MDA out to grab some sandwiches and lock the gym doors.

that would be hilarious

#276 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,962 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ram is team defense concepts will do wonders for our team.

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well that took a while. Glad they could finally buy him out from his European club.

yo.

#278 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ummm...Kobe before usually handled the ball as scorer/facilitator especially the 11-12 season.  He had a great assist game streak but was very forced, but they were better when he did it.  So no Kobe didnt sacrifice much.  In the end the team didnt find chemistry and this was not only due to injuries.  Stop trying to absolve Kobe for his part in it.  You can't fake chemistry and Kobe and D12 never had any and it was not all b/c of D12 being immature either, but we will agree to disagree...carry on

Kobe starting off the season efficient and wanted to just play SG. Yet, Nash got hurt. So, he had to become the facilitator once again, which is a sacrifice. He had to eventually turn into a PG role and dish out 10+ ast on multiple nights. When nash actually played, he couldn't do what he was best at because Dwight wouldn't commit to the Pick n Roll. Pau didn't fit because MDA didn't care about suiting his needs.  

#279 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,962 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Ummm...Kobe before usually handled the ball as scorer/facilitator especially the 11-12 season.  He had a great assist game streak but was very forced, but they were better when he did it.  So no Kobe didnt sacrifice much.  In the end the team didnt find chemistry and this was not only due to injuries.  Stop trying to absolve Kobe for his part in it.  You can't fake chemistry and Kobe and D12 never had any and it was not all b/c of D12 being immature either, but we will agree to disagree...carry on

Kobe lead the NBA in assists from the shooting guard position. That wasn't forced.

The them just never found the urgency needed for him to wit in the reeds. Not till he went down did they didn't have urgency. He did, Nash did. You had Dwight refusing to run pick and roll and wanting the ball where he's weakest, the offense being catered to Dwight which took Gasol out of the paint and Met ta taken away from the post when Gasol start ted at the 4 thus making him our main floor spacer. Bit us in the off-season when the paint was taken away and Dwight had no pick and roll chemistry which is on him. He wanted to post, he got it.

#280 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I was more excited about the hire before Dwight left because the expectations would've been higher for this team had he stayed, leading to a possibility of D'Antoni getting fired mid-way through the season. Rambis would've made an ok interim head coach.

With lower expectations, I don't see MDA getting fired this season.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users