Photo

Lakers Summer League Thread (Official Roster - Pg. 9)

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#81 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:03 AM

Kobe didn't start a game during his first 2 seasons...

The only reason kobe started the 3rd season, was because of the lockout, and rick fox, and Robert horry were injured, and I believe one other player, and Kobe had to start the game at sf..

I remember the coach (phil?) saying before the game, "We have to start Kobe, and I fear, once we let him start a game, we will never get him out of the starting lineup"

Kobe was humbeled his first 2 seasons....
part of what made him so great

Kobe started six games his rookie season, and one his sophomore year, under Harris...

And Kobe wasn't humbled his first two seasons, he was ignored.  Harris thought he would amount to nothing but a spot-up shooter off the bench, gave him opportunities to spot up for threes, and Kobe wanted the ball in his hands.

Phil was the coach for Kobe's 4th season, one year after the lockout (which saw Harris as coach for just 12 games, Rambis ended up finishing the year out).

#82 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:06 AM

Then perhaps it's time to do a reach on the Lakers somehow landing Marshon Brooks in a trade as a "throwaway" piece as it seems thats how Brooklyn has been treating him.   They were even trying to trade him for a second round pick going into this draft.

I actually expected the Lakers to trade their pick for someone LIKE Brooks as that's what Brooklyn was searching for.

That was until they traded Brooks to the Celtics in that mega trade,

Consider the fact that if the Celtics play their cards right they'll have a duo of Marshon Brooks and Andrew Wiggins very soon.

Honestly, I was not aware that they sent Brooks to Boston in that deal.  Must have revised it with me looking the other way...but that seriously pisses me off.

It gives Brooks a great opportunity to be a contributing player, but it would absolutely suck, for me, if they found a way to land Wiggins alongside Brooks and Rondo...in GREEN.

#83 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:09 AM

Honestly, I was not aware that they sent Brooks to Boston in that deal.  Must have revised it with me looking the other way...but that seriously pisses me off.

It gives Brooks a great opportunity to be a contributing player, but it would absolutely suck, for me, if they found a way to land Wiggins alongside Brooks and Rondo...in GREEN.

yeah I know, but I had a feeling that Wiggins was always gonna be a Celtic... and them getting rid of Rivers, Pierce and Garnett didn't help my worries

So now when Brooks was sent there I prayed with all my heart and soul that they'd get a coach that wouldn't play him so that he could sit on the bench for one more year and become a throwaway...

But now since they got a college coach who is obviously going to play his rookies and young players, Brooks will get playing time on a bad team with a chance to grow and if the Celtics get Wiggins because of how bad the team is, the East is boned :laughing:   

It would be the worst WORST case scenario for a Lakers fan X_X But if the Celtics are smart they'll pull it off...and the league will be in trouble..

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#84 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:11 AM

Kobe started six games his rookie season, and one his sophomore year, under Harris...

And Kobe wasn't humbled his first two seasons, he was ignored.  Harris thought he would amount to nothing but a spot-up shooter off the bench, gave him opportunities to spot up for threes, and Kobe wanted the ball in his hands.

Phil was the coach for Kobe's 4th season, one year after the lockout (which saw Harris as coach for just 12 games, Rambis ended up finishing the year out).

even in kobes rookie and sophomore seasons, he still had hype, he still was a big story...

Kobe was voted to the all-star game his second season, when he was not starting for his team...

7 starts of his first 164 games... (minus playoffs)

Kobe had talent... I followed kobe from his rokkie season (which was really hard living overseas)

I used to take a lot of heat the first coupe years, saying how good I thought kobe would be...

Jerry West knew kobe would be great... The lakers brought him around slowly... maybe del harris is an idiot....

#85 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:11 AM

del harris is an idiot....

yep

#86 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:13 AM

hey... I said... MAYBE...

yep

#87 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:13 AM

hey... I said... MAYBE...

:D

#88 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:18 AM

going back to that lineup I get more and more worried thinking about that darn Celtics team in 2014! >_<  If all goes according to their plan their roster will consist of this

imagining that lineup and potential

Jeff Green
Avery Bradley
Rajon Rondo
Marshon Brooks
Andrew Wiggins
Kris Humpries
Brandon Bass
Jared Sullinger
Gerald Wallace

With the right mix of veterans in there too.  And the Celtics have something to work with.  ESPECIALLY if Bradley keeps advancing.  They become a SCARY SCARY team and a team that would own the East with one more additional move. 

IF THIS happens and LeBron sees that, I'm willing to bet he bolts Miami for LA :laughing:

Again... IF Dwight resigns

I am REALLY pissed that the Nets changed their mind and instead of sending Evans to Boston they sent Brooks! :smh:   I felt we really had a shot of picking him up as a throwaway and would have loved to see him on our Summer League team :sorry:

#89 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:19 AM

in retrospect, we should thank Del harris...

maybe kobe doesn't learn that super-hard work attitude that he has, if he is just handed a starting job, and 30 mins a night as a rookie, or 19 year old 2nd year player...

he was voted as a starter on the All-star team, and he didn't even start for the lakers...

not starting humbeled him, and once he got into the starting lineup (ONLY BECAUSE OF INJURIES) he stuck there...

#90 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:21 AM

And, its not a 1 or 2 person draft... if they don't get wiggins, there are still several other players that they would take, which will help them out a lot... of course, "everyone wants wiggins" but there are other potential franshice players in the 2014 draft

going back to that lineup I get more and more worried thinking about that darn Celtics team in 2014! >_<  If all goes according to their plan their roster will consist of this

imagining that lineup and potential

Jeff Green
Avery Bradley
Rajon Rondo
Marshon Brooks
Andrew Wiggins
Kris Humpries
Brandon Bass
Jared Sullinger
Gerald Wallace

With the right mix of veterans in there too.  And the Celtics have something to work with.  ESPECIALLY if Bradley keeps advancing.  They become a SCARY SCARY team and a team that would own the East with one more additional move. 

IF THIS happens and LeBron sees that, I'm willing to bet he bolts Miami for LA :laughing:

Again... IF Dwight resigns

I am REALLY pissed that the Nets changed their mind and instead of sending Evans to Boston they sent Brooks! :smh:   I felt we really had a shot of picking him up as a throwaway and would have loved to see him on our Summer League team :sorry:

#91 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 01:27 AM

http://www.basketbal...9902050LAL.html

kobe starts this game, the first game of the lockout season, plays 44 mins... because Rick Fox and Robert Horry are both hurt... Horry actually returned the next game, but Kobe kept his spot in the starting lineup

Edited by TKainZero, July 04, 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#92 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 04:16 AM

Ian Hummer Invited to Tryout for Lakers Summer League Team

UYRWDUYXLVUJZNQ.20130628175932.jpg

Princeton alumnus Ian Hummer '13 will soon head to Los Angeles to play for a chance to be a Laker next month.

Hummer has been invited to a Lakers pre-summer league camp where the team will make its last few decisions on whom to take to Las Vegas for the NBA Summer League that runs from July 12-22 on the UNLV campus.

More here:  http://boards.basket...d2cd0ccee69c01/

Another tweener.   Kid that's the size of a 3 but can play the 3/4 and is a tweener defensively and offensively.

But I will say the kid is a lack of all trades and a master of none.  

Stat line in college was 16/6/4 as a forward.  

That unfortunately is what works against him, he likes to play from the post and is a good rebounder then that stat indivates, I was impressed by his 23/14 performance against Harvard as well as what he did against FSU where he had 25/15 and went up against the OTHER guy in our Summer League Michael Snaer who scored 20.  I really like his style and way he plays the game.

So like I said he's a talented jack of all trades individual but the question is whether he can play the role he'd have to in the league which is that of a small forward unless he becomes like Paul Milsap.

I think the kid COULD have a future in the league,   He is also familiar with the Princeton offense and would fit perfectly into the Triangle if it was asked of him.  He is also a good passer, intelligent screener as well as a nice post up game though not great and a very unselfish teammate and has a very "TEAM FIRST" mentality.  Which may or may not work against him in the "LOOK AT ME!! SIGN ME!" based Summer League.

He's not exactly the "walking triple double" but darn if he don't try to be.   Let me show you a few stat lines from a few of his last few games

12/6/7
25/6/5

10/4/6

28/7/5

19/7/5

18/7/5

13/9/7

16/7/7

21/4/7

See what I mean?  Jack of all trades but master of none forward.  Moving on.

There's also another quirk about him I like

ATHLETIC jack of all trades :laughing:   Though not SUPER athletic so don't get your hopes up on Shannon Brown type thunder clap slams.  I'd say he's closer to Mcroberts, probably a little less athletic wise.

But he CAN get up there though

so a few highlight help side blocks are never a bad thing but he's your basic glue guy.  I'm sure a crowd would get behind him.  That's the type of player he is.

But do I think he'll make the team?  As with everyone else on our roster if he impresses well enough to make it to training camp, I'd love to see him in our pre-season to see what he can do.  He has talent but whether that talent and ability will be enough to overcome the tweener label that was put on him hence why scouts avoided him we will see.  If he can develop his jump shot he could be a very good system player that could absolutely excel on a team like the Spurs where Popovich would know precisely the role for him or a place like Indiana as well that would adore his blue collar style and unselfish attitude.

I'd hate to see the kid not make it in this league but at the same time I understand how hard it is for tweeners to make it anyway unless they have something truly special. I  think he can make it though. How far? I don't know. Will it be with the Lakers?  That remains to be seen.

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#93 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:01 AM

Harris isn't THAT dependent on his back-to-the-basket game.  He faces up his defender a LOT.

That's the only hope he'll have, though, in the league...because he's a bit too small, and not strong enough, playing the four.

He could probably play the three, but he'll need to work like crazy to change his game up.  He elevates quickly, and he's an energy player, something we could use at that position for a change (instead of Ron Artest).  Of course, it seems like every player to ever come out of Gonzaga is an energy player...they feast off of the crowd, come in and make shots and rebounds seem more meaningful.

But will he make the team?  It depends on what we do with Ron or Gasol, and if Kelly suits up for us.  We need guards, at this point, after letting go of Goudelock, Morris and Duhon.

I'm not big on Snaer.  The one thing that stands out is that he's fearless, especially when asked to hit a big shot...but over time, that has caught up to him, and he takes a lot of dumb shots during games.  Also, defensively, he's going to be a major liability out there.  Stick him out on an island with any ISO player, and he's toast.

snaer is actually a very solid defender, both solo and team.  sure he could be taller but the guy is no major liability, especially compared to what they have. he is known to be a very good perimeter defender. acc all defensive team ect.   as far as putting him on an island, the majority of players in the league can be put on an island one way or another. 

for a guy that can shoot the 3 and floater, handle some in the pick,plays with a chip, and is a good perimeter defender to be on a laker spl team is a blessing. could be a step up from g lock in some ways for what they need. not without his flaws but im not looking that gift horse in the mouth.

Edited by SweatShop, July 05, 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#94 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:23 AM

http://www.basketbal...9902050LAL.html

kobe starts this game, the first game of the lockout season, plays 44 mins... because Rick Fox and Robert Horry are both hurt... Horry actually returned the next game, but Kobe kept his spot in the starting lineup

Just looking at that box score, its crazy to think how long Kobe has been in the league for. 20 year old kid starting agaist the likes of Charles Barkley and Hakeem.

#95 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:29 AM

snaer is actually a very solid defender, both solo and team.  sure he could be taller but the guy is no major liability, especially compared to what they have. he is known to be a very good perimeter defender. acc all defensive team ect.   as far as putting him on an island, the majority of players in the league can be put on an island one way or another. 

for a guy that can shoot the 3 and floater, handle some in the pick,plays with a chip, and is a good perimeter defender to be on a laker spl team is a blessing. could be a step up from g lock in some ways for what they need. not without his flaws but im not looking that gift horse in the mouth.

It's not his height that is the issue on the defensive end, it's his lack of lateral quickness and not being as strong as he should be.

If you want a perfect example of a perimeter coming out of college and getting tore up in the pros, look no further than Malcolm Lee...and the funny thing is, Lee and Snaer are nearly the exact same height and weight, both lacking strength. Thing is, Lee was actually very quick, laterally...and he also had great positioning, even better than Snaer.

One reason why Jordan Farmar hasn't seen a lot of playing time over the course of his career is because he lacks lateral quickness and strength.

College basketball is miles, miles behind the pros. You can get away with a lot of weaknesses when you're in college, but once you step out onto the court as an undrafted rook, most everyone is better than you are...and you really don't do anything well enough to stand out.

#96 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 05, 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's not his height that is the issue on the defensive end, it's his lack of lateral quickness and not being as strong as he should be.

If you want a perfect example of a perimeter coming out of college and getting tore up in the pros, look no further than Malcolm Lee...and the funny thing is, Lee and Snaer are nearly the exact same height and weight, both lacking strength. Thing is, Lee was actually very quick, laterally...and he also had great positioning, even better than Snaer.

One reason why Jordan Farmar hasn't seen a lot of playing time over the course of his career is because he lacks lateral quickness and strength.

College basketball is miles, miles behind the pros. You can get away with a lot of weaknesses when you're in college, but once you step out onto the court as an undrafted rook, most everyone is better than you are...and you really don't do anything well enough to stand out.

i agree on the gap between the pros and college but i have never found him to be slow laterally, the guy is known for his lateral quickness and perimeter d and the role he played on a very good defensive team. did he have poor combine numbers or something?

maybe that stuff gets overshadowed by game winning shots and being a big part of the offense but  to me his issues are more on the offensive end but he wouldnt have the same role he had at fsu.

sure,  he will have to prove himself defensively at the next level but for a non drafted spl pick up, i cant complain. his mcd's hype maybe didnt help him but he showed improvement throughout college. id rather start off with a guy that was a good defender before coming to the nba, especially a guy that can shoot the 3 as well.

i dont know what you expect out of a spl pick up but ill take him over some 1 dimensional (in college) 3pt shooter any time. the guy wont be afraid either, thats another good trait.

im not one to usually be very high on spl guys especially combo sized 2's but imo this kid was overlooked and could surprise people that are unfamiliar. i like him better than most of their draft picks in recent years.

to me the most likely issue is knowing his role and limiting mistakes on the offensive end. if he does that i think he could transition nicely.  sure id rather have a long sf-g but its not like he will get taken advantage of any more than meeks.

as far as lee,he is similar in form but he can be too aggressive on d for his own good at times and has had trouble with team d nor is he a very good shooter. with that said i think the wolves missed him when he was out and had to rely on ridnour a bit too much.

snaer can do more imo and while they both have some good potential, i see snare as a little less raw as far as team d is concerned and much less raw as far as offense is concerned provided he knows his role. but its not easy picking talent that can transition well at the next level as shown time and time again.

Edited by SweatShop, July 05, 2013 - 12:37 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#97 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,412 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm interested if Sacre learned anything last year. Haven't heard anything about an insane off season work ethic or working out with Kareem or Rambis or anything ...... Hmmmmmmmmmm??????????????

#98 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:57 AM

SUMMER LEAGUE ORLANDO STARTS TOMORROW JULY 7TH, 2013 to. Go to nba.com to check schedule of teams or time they're playing.

Michael Snaer is playing for OKC team. Only player I see from our summer league roster participating in Orlando league.Time to scout some players.

Also, Darius Johnson-Odom is playing for Boston Summer league.

Jonny Flynn playing for pacer summer league making a comeback.

Edited by Jee, July 06, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#99 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Frankly if there is one year we need to take a few risks on some young talent its this year. If we could find a couple diamonds in the rough would be nice. MDA playing them is another thing lol.

#100 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,836 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:46 AM

the games have started...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users