Photo

Lakers Summer League Thread (Official Roster - Pg. 9)

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#61 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:10 PM

he's from Cali too btw.

I do wonder what RD thinks of him but don't we all when it comes to a prospect =p

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#62 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Harris isn't THAT dependent on his back-to-the-basket game.  He faces up his defender a LOT.

That's the only hope he'll have, though, in the league...because he's a bit too small, and not strong enough, playing the four.

He could probably play the three, but he'll need to work like crazy to change his game up.  He elevates quickly, and he's an energy player, something we could use at that position for a change (instead of Ron Artest).  Of course, it seems like every player to ever come out of Gonzaga is an energy player...they feast off of the crowd, come in and make shots and rebounds seem more meaningful.

But will he make the team?  It depends on what we do with Ron or Gasol, and if Kelly suits up for us.  We need guards, at this point, after letting go of Goudelock, Morris and Duhon.

I'm not big on Snaer.  The one thing that stands out is that he's fearless, especially when asked to hit a big shot...but over time, that has caught up to him, and he takes a lot of dumb shots during games.  Also, defensively, he's going to be a major liability out there.  Stick him out on an island with any ISO player, and he's toast.

#63 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Harris isn't THAT dependent on his back-to-the-basket game.  He faces up his defender a LOT.

That's the only hope he'll have, though, in the league...because he's a bit too small, and not strong enough, playing the four.

He could probably play the three, but he'll need to work like crazy to change his game up.  He elevates quickly, and he's an energy player, something we could use at that position for a change (instead of Ron Artest).  Of course, it seems like every player to ever come out of Gonzaga is an energy player...they feast off of the crowd, come in and make shots and rebounds seem more meaningful.

But will he make the team?  It depends on what we do with Ron or Gasol, and if Kelly suits up for us.  We need guards, at this point, after letting go of Goudelock, Morris and Duhon.

I'm not big on Snaer.  The one thing that stands out is that he's fearless, especially when asked to hit a big shot...but over time, that has caught up to him, and he takes a lot of dumb shots during games.  Also, defensively, he's going to be a major liability out there.  Stick him out on an island with any ISO player, and he's toast.

Grazie!

I have a theory that those kinds of guys can really be a driving force in big time situations like the playoffs.  Their energy I mean. 

Would like to see how the kid develops .Harris I mean.

And as far as Snaer goes, I'd like to see how he develops too after what you said, hopefully he doesn't turn into another Nick Young :laughing:

Then again if he did somehow make training camp I wonder if he'd do enough to impress Kobe enough to work with him.

Edited by Majesty, July 02, 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#64 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Snaer, a two-time All-ACC selection (second team in 2012 and third team in 2013), was named to the All-ACC Defensive team for the second consecutive season in 2013. He finished tied for the team lead with 33 steals and fourth on the team with 15 blocked shots and was one of two Seminoles with at least 30 steals and at least 15 blocked shots this past season.[blog='http://www.seminoles.../040113aaa.html'][/blog]

Snaer was considered to be the top perimeter defender and top two-way player in the ACC by coaches and players during his career.

"Michael Snaer is probably the best two-way player in the ACC," said Ryan Anderson of Boston College during the 2013 season. "The way he plays defense, he's the top perimeter defender in the ACC. Then combined with his ability to shoot the ball from the 3 and getting to the paint and making plays; it's amazing how great of shape he's in and his ability to dominate the game on both ends of the floor."

Defense is in question.Yeah, I agree if Snaer can prove it in summer league/nba is remain to be seen.

Edited by Jee, July 02, 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#65 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,092 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:50 PM

MAJESTY

Leon Powe

2008 Finals

#66 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 03, 2013 - 02:14 AM

It would be awesome if the Lakers somehow got Josh Selby. He is a free agent right now and he is willing to come in for very cheap. He´s young and very athletic point guard who can hit the 3. 

Posted Image

#67 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,393 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:55 AM

It would be awesome if the Lakers somehow got Josh Selby. He is a free agent right now and he is willing to come in for very cheap. He´s young and very athletic point guard who can hit the 3. 

Wanted the Lakers to get him. Nice speed and does ball.
Posted Image

#68 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:58 AM

Don't know what it is about Selby but he can't seem to find a place in the NBA and that's alarming for a player with his natural gifts.  Must be something wrong mentally or psychologically...is he too arrogant to stick with a squad?  Smush Parker 2.0?

#69 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,393 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:22 AM

May as well stick CDR on that list. Talented but cannot stay on a squad
Posted Image

#70 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Sorry TKZ Drew II has joined Kabongo with Miami's summer league squad

NOOO!!!!!

that's the ONE TEAM I DIDNT WANT TO SEE HIM ON!!!!
NOO!!!!!

dude will play great with big stars...

I guess ill jump on the Snaer bandwagon as well
dude seems to hit the big shot... that's a good trait to have

Edited by TKainZero, July 03, 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#71 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Selby thinks he's an all-star.  He was like that at Kansas.

I'd take him, anyway, if we had Phil.

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Undrafted Kenny Boynton Jr. to play for Lakers’ summer league team
Kenny Boynton Jr., the No. 2 all-time scorer at Florida and a former Broward high school star, will get a chance to make the Lakers’ roster.

c6f812e6-801e-de11-a973-001cc494dda6_ori

BY FABIAN LYON flyon@MiamiHerald.com

Kenny Boynton Jr. never met a shot he felt he couldn’t make. That supreme confidence which carried Boynton to phenom status on the AAU and Florida high school level and ultimately No. 2 all-time scorer for Florida helped Boynton earn an audition in the NBA summer league.

Bypassed in the NBA Draft last Thursday, Boynton has accepted an invitation to play for the Los Angeles Lakers’ Summer League team, for games July 12-22.

Boynton was a four-year starter for Florida (2,033 points) and helped lead the Gators to three consecutive Elite Eight appearances but concerns over his size (6-2) and 39.9 shooting percentage at Florida left him out of the Top 100 NBA Draft rankings.

Former Blanche Ely coach Melvin Randall, who won the third of his five state titles with Boynton leading the way in 2006-07, believes Boynton could develop into a role similar to the Miami Heat’s Norris Cole, another undersized combo guard.

“Norris Cole wasn’t necessarily a point guard coming out of college but he has established himself as one,” Randall said. “He has been following [Mario] Chalmers’ lead and [Dwyane] Wade’s lead. Now he is in his zone. Junior [Boynton] could thrive in a similar situation. Junior is hungry to learn more and then when the times comes, I think he will be alright.”

Read more here: http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy

Thoughts?

Edited by Majesty, July 03, 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#73 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,553 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:28 PM

smush jr

#74 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:45 PM

smush jr

That bad?

#75 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Boynton isn't a PG, but WAY too small to play the two. If he was Allen Iverson, scoring-wise, it would be much different...but Iverson is the exception.

If he wants to play for an NBA team, he's going to have to know when to stop shooting the ball. He could brick 10 shots, go 0-10 in the first half of a game, then come out in the second half and shoot 15 more. Superstar players get the green light to do that, but that's it.

#76 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:30 AM

Boynton isn't a PG, but WAY too small to play the two. If he was Allen Iverson, scoring-wise, it would be much different...but Iverson is the exception.

If he wants to play for an NBA team, he's going to have to know when to stop shooting the ball. He could brick 10 shots, go 0-10 in the first half of a game, then come out in the second half and shoot 15 more. Superstar players get the green light to do that, but that's it.

Thanks for the info.

Is he with Snaer on your list of

"Players I wouldn't worry about being on the team if our coach was Phil Jackson"?  :D

#77 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

Is he with Snaer on your list of

"Players I wouldn't worry about being on the team if our coach was Phil Jackson"?  :D

Possibly.

You can blame Kobe Bryant for that. I started liking the Lakers because of Bryant...didn't have a local team to root for, didn't have parents who were into basketball, so I found a young player I liked (one they were covering on ESPN back then - Kobe), and had my cousin record clips of him they were playing on TV. Didn't matter where he was going...that was going to be my team from that point on.

Kobe was basically selfish in HS, thought he was the [expletive] when he was picking apart players in games (even though Del Harris played him sparingly), and it took Phil Jackson to develop him into a winner.

There's a guy in Brooklyn, MarShon Brooks, who I think has that potential...more than any college player, or current NBA player, we could ever talk about. Sadly, he's not where he should be, and with a stacked team and a rookie coach (despite it being Kidd, who I think is great), he has no shot at it.

#78 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,828 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:51 AM

well, that's because phil doenst play rookies...

lakers seem to be adding players who can score...

#79 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,828 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:54 AM

Kobe was basically selfish in HS, thought he was the [expletive] when he was picking apart players in games (even though Del Harris played him sparingly), and it took Phil Jackson to develop him into a winner.

Kobe didn't start a game during his first 2 seasons...

The only reason kobe started the 3rd season, was because of the lockout, and rick fox, and Robert horry were injured, and I believe one other player, and Kobe had to start the game at sf..

I remember the coach (phil?) saying before the game, "We have to start Kobe, and I fear, once we let him start a game, we will never get him out of the starting lineup"

Kobe was humbeled his first 2 seasons....

part of what made him so great

#80 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:57 AM

Possibly.

You can blame Kobe Bryant for that. I started liking the Lakers because of Bryant...didn't have a local team to root for, didn't have parents who were into basketball, so I found a young player I liked (one they were covering on ESPN back then - Kobe), and had my cousin record clips of him they were playing on TV. Didn't matter where he was going...that was going to be my team from that point on.

There's a guy in Brooklyn, MarShon Brooks, who I think has that potential...more than any college player, or current NBA player, we could ever talk about. Sadly, he's not where he should be, and with a stacked team and a rookie coach (despite it being Kidd, who I think is great), he has no shot at it.

Then perhaps it's time to do a reach on the Lakers somehow landing Marshon Brooks in a trade as a "throwaway" piece as it seems thats how Brooklyn has been treating him.   They were even trying to trade him for a second round pick going into this draft.

I actually expected the Lakers to trade their pick for someone LIKE Brooks as that's what Brooklyn was searching for.

That was until they traded Brooks to the Celtics in that mega trade,

Consider the fact that if the Celtics play their cards right they'll have a duo of Marshon Brooks and Andrew Wiggins very soon.

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2013 - 01:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users