28 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Just ran across this tweet (yeah, I'm sure you all saw it already, lol)...

Dave McMenamin @mcten
Mitch on the similarity between Kobe in '04 and Dwight in '13: "Very similar ... It's scary close"

I know we're all assuming this is discussing the free agency situation, on Howard's end, but what if there's more to this statement/tweet?

It's not going to be a popular idea, and I doubt this is how things are going right now...but how would you feel if those similarities were resting on Howard's feelings towards his superstar teammate?

In 2004, we saw the organization send Shaq out, to split up the duo because of conflicting egos and selfishness.

Does Dwight feel the same about Kobe...as Kobe did about Shaq back then?

After all, there were reports that they were at each others' throats in the locker room, leading to this:

bacqec2cuaeariw.jpg

Despite the hatred that Shaq had for young Kobe, even as a rookie...they were still taking pictures like this:

kobeandshaq_580x435.jpg

tumblr_mkm80rpdBP1rszjawo5_500.jpg

And maybe it's not on Kobe...could be Howard, not appreciating the pressure, disliking Kobe's high expectations, and/or not wanting to be teammates with a perfectionist.

What if history repeats itself?

#2 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,443 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:11 AM

we choose kobe again? or anmesty him and get howard?

what do you mean ?

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#3 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think it's more Howard vs d'antoni than Howard vs Kobe

At the end of the day shaq didn't stand for the lakers. Something Kobe does

Getting rid of shaq was mostly about choosing Kobe but it was also about not choosing a guy who ballooned to 375lbs and had a tendency to not give 100% until it mattered most by that point.

A guy who got complacent in his greatness
Posted Image

#4 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,516 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:18 AM

LOL if anyone thinks this is any where near what Kobe & Shaq went through. 

2hf753r.jpg

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:18 AM

From what I understand Kobe/Dwight are good. Dwight has driven out down south to Newport beach at least 3 times to meet with Kobe after Kobe's season ended. Theyre on good terms.  Kobe/Shaq didnt even communicate off the court in their last 2 yrs together

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Then I just don't know what to say TBH. I would think Kobe is a Laker for life.

#7 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think the similarities are that both are free agents angry at the coach and system in place and could potentially be very close to signing other players. As much as Kobe won't admit it, Shaq and Phil's departure did play a role in helping him sign quickly. I'm sure he didn't outright demand it but he definitely didn't get along with either of them. In a similar manner, Dwight's not very happy with MDA's system, and I think axing him will help D12 resign quickly. Dwight's problem isn't with Kobe, it's with the coach. 

#8 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,878 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:32 AM

It could be repeating itself. 

However, I think that the marketing power still lies in Kobe's favor. 

Kobe will still allow the Lakers to sell more tickets then Dwight. 

Dwight has some hypocritical character flaws that might turn people off. Especially in the city of Los Angeles. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:35 AM

this crossed my mind. ya never know. But I would like to believe KB is a bit more mature in his senior bball days than he was back then. Both him and Shaq...if they knew then what they know now, they woulda worked it out and won 5-8 more chips with PJ.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#10 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,177 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Not same at all! Shaq was damn dear 400 lbs missing 25-40 gms per season & never got any better. Miss me with the similarities. Kobe was hungry to be the MAN & continue the LAkers legacy of Winning Titles! D12 doesnt have that drive, mental focus, nor toughness to fill Kobe's shoes. STF U with this nonsense.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,068 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:42 AM

it some ways, but Kobe being drafted here and the 17 year tenure vs 1 year as opposed to Shaq and Kobe have a closer amount of equity during that year.

#12 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,537 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I mean this easily could be true. But it seems as though its more MDA vs Howard just from looking at the reports and the overall situation.

#13 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,876 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Dont really see it.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#14 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:05 PM

If this really is true. Then bye dwight. I know its better for the franchise to keep dwight. And obviously im a Laker Fan first. Kobe fan second. But out of respect for the man and what he has done. You dont release him. You dont trade him. You dont make him retire. You tell deight that the team is his but kobe stays

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm not comparing the two identically. Kobe isn't 356 pounds. I'm saying that, in Howard's eyes, maybe Kobe is a big reason (not necessarily the only one) why staying in LA is less attractive.

I went ahead and bolded my last statement, below the pictures.

We've already heard these things from Dwight:

1) Kobe is very demanding of his teammates, and is a perfectionist.
2) He (Dwight) doesn't think he gets the ball enough.
3) He wants to be the #1 option (which is obvious).

I'm not blaming Kobe here, I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if these similarities between Kobe's summer of 2004, and Howard's, could be related to Howard not liking Kobe being the main facilitator (instead of Nash), Kobe taking the most shot attempts, and the entire franchise and fans still putting Kobe first...even if they should.  Maybe it's Howard who can't handle that, can't wait it out.

#16 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:14 PM

You know how people said the old Yankee Stadium is the house that Ruth built?   Well Stable Center is the house that Kobe and Shaq help built.  The first year Stable center opens up who brought a championship to stable center?  Yes.  So Stable center is the house the Kobe built.  

I know a lot of fans want to get rid of the old man with a so called "career ending" injury but we still need to give kobe some love here. Dont throw him away like yesterday's news paper.   Yes I know Lucas Oil Stadium is the house that  Manning built and they delt with him like yesterday's news paper but this is the lakers here.  Why get rid of a legend just to keep a player who doesn't even want to be a laker in the first place to stay?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#17 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:19 PM

RD, It's definitely a possibility. If that's the case then the Lakers really do have little to no chance in getting Howard to stay, because Kobe isn't going anywhere. 

The North Remembers

#18 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:47 PM

If he is relating to when Kobe was threatening to going to Chicago or Clips in his first major free agent period then yes you can argue there is some similarity. Unhappy with the environment , roster issues, unhappy with the coach, and ultimately wanting to go somewhere where you will be the guy and build a dynasty.

This to me is more akin to 2005-2007 period, so many bad moves and terrible results that  at any point you expected them to completely dump everything and rebuild.

#19 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:53 PM

I don't believe it's Kobe vs Dwight.  I think the Lakers have made it perfectly clear that Dwight is the future moving forward and Kobe has said that much as well. 

To me, the situation could present itself in the form of D'Antoni and Dwight Howard.   Let's not forget that Kobe re-signed with the team two days after Shaq was traded back in 2004. 

I still don't see how the Lakers could choose an average at best coach over a franchise player.  If Dwight gives the front office any indication that D'Antoni is the reason for him not coming back, then MDA will be gone. 

I hope. 

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,466 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Just ran across this tweet (yeah, I'm sure you all saw it already, lol)...

I know we're all assuming this is discussing the free agency situation, on Howard's end, but what if there's more to this statement/tweet?

It's not going to be a popular idea, and I doubt this is how things are going right now...but how would you feel if those similarities were resting on Howard's feelings towards his superstar teammate?

In 2004, we saw the organization send Shaq out, to split up the duo because of conflicting egos and selfishness.

Does Dwight feel the same about Kobe...as Kobe did about Shaq back then?

After all, there were reports that they were at each others' throats in the locker room, leading to this:

bacqec2cuaeariw.jpg

Despite the hatred that Shaq had for young Kobe, even as a rookie...they were still taking pictures like this:

kobeandshaq_580x435.jpg

tumblr_mkm80rpdBP1rszjawo5_500.jpg

And maybe it's not on Kobe...could be Howard, not appreciating the pressure, disliking Kobe's high expectations, and/or not wanting to be teammates with a perfectionist.

What if history repeats itself?

That was brilliant satire Real Deal :laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users