Photo

UPDATE: Bill Simmons Now Threatening Doc Rivers; Simmons Says Doc Quit On Celtics, Doc Calls Him An Idiot; Doc's Son Gets Involved; Dan Patrick

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: UPDATE: Bill Simmons Now Threatening Doc Rivers; Simmons Says Doc Quit On Celtics, Doc Calls Him An Idiot; Doc's Son Gets Involved; Dan Patrick (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you agree with here more?

1. Bill Simmons. (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

2. Doc Rivers. (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Unsure. Both have strong points. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:29 PM

I enjoyed watching Bill [expletive]ing and moaning about the Celtics situation. There is such enjoyment in watching the kid throw his toys because his team is blowing up before him. I swear I thought he was gonna start crying when it was confirmed the Nets Celtics deal was a go.

#22 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,823 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:43 PM

did jordan say he was going to play baseball, get traded and then play basketball for another team? no

Doc quit. 100%. no point in arguing because you're wrong. the facts are there. 

Doc is said to not wanting to be a part of rebuilding

then there are rumblings that if the celtics retain him he will go into television

suddenly the clippers trade for him and he's gung ho coaching again

he quit on the team and franchise. period, no question and he proved it further by calling simmons an idiot. if he wasn't self conscious about it he wouldn't have responded that way. calling someone an idiot on live television. 

So if someone called your mom a hoe you wouldnt defend her? And if you did would that mean you actually think your mom is one? Nope. Same goes with any insult, dont understand when people say if someone defends themselves they must think its true, no maybe they just dont want to be called something negative, so they say something back.

Maybe you have disdain for doc because he was the Celtics coach. Like I said quitting implies you gave up, called in, or just didnt care anymore and thats not what happen with doc. Im not saying he didnt leave because he obviously did, but he didnt quit on them. He always came to coach the celtics and to win every game. Quitting and leaving are two different things. Guess its subjective how you look at the word quit, but I feel it is too strongly a word for what doc did. He left the celtics to go on to other things, and bill simmons is just mad that his team has become a rebuilding project so he wanted to lash out in some way. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

• 40,401 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Simmons acted more like a fan than a professional (which is how he's supposed to conduct himself) plain & simple. He made it too personal. At most, he could've just kept this on his twitter page, where he's not supposed to be held to as high of standards as on live television, but instead he made it as public & raw as live television and thus one could easily argue he probably crossed the line.

yo.

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 02:09 AM

So if someone called your mom a hoe you wouldnt defend her? And if you did would that mean you actually think your mom is one? Nope. Same goes with any insult, dont understand when people say if someone defends themselves they must think its true, no maybe they just dont want to be called something negative, so they say something back.

Maybe you have disdain for doc because he was the Celtics coach. Like I said quitting implies you gave up, called in, or just didnt care anymore and thats not what happen with doc. Im not saying he didnt leave because he obviously did, but he didnt quit on them. He always came to coach the celtics and to win every game. Quitting and leaving are two different things. Guess its subjective how you look at the word quit, but I feel it is too strongly a word for what doc did. He left the celtics to go on to other things, and bill simmons is just mad that his team has become a rebuilding project so he wanted to lash out in some way. 

terrible example. this is not the same as calling someones mother a hoe. first of all. second of all doc responded defensively. noone is saying he should have shut up. he could have easily said "i don't care what he says" or "he can believe what he wants"

but no he called him an idiot. attacked him. why? because he was defensive

at the end of the day doc quit. period. just because he "came to coach every game" who's saying he quit last season. useless for the argument. no he didn't quit during the season, something that was never said. he quit now when he basically told the celtics trade me or i'm going to retire anyways. that's quitting that's not leaving. leaving would imply that he wasn't under contract and signed somewhere else. that's not what happened. he made it so one way or another he wasn't coaching the celtics

that's quitting period. despite being under contract for 3 more years he decided he was done coaching the franchise. quitting. these are the facts. 

Posted Image

#25 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:45 AM

When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

https://twitter.com/...616925669306369

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#26 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Bill Simmons is right. 

Doc Rivers and the truth have not gone hand in hand throughout this process.  

• 40,401 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:29 AM

When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

Damn, more shots fired big time.

Doc Rivers’ son Jeremiah sounds off on ESPN’s Bill Simmons after Simmons said Rivers ‘quit on the Celtics’

http://sports.yahoo....-150333520.html

Untitled.png

image.png

image.png

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons

Good summary on how Doc contradicted himself all week: http://bit.ly/16EvmhC  (Does not include his PTI waffling.) He needs to pick a story.

Edited by    , June 28, 2013 - 09:38 AM.

yo.

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:40 AM

I wish Doc would slap the [expletive] out of this little girl

#29 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Bill Simmons is right. 

Doc Rivers and the truth have not gone hand in hand throughout this process.  

Regardless of who is right in this situation, it doesn't mean Simmons should be [expletive]ing and moaning about this stuff on national tv. Keep it behind closed doors. That's why he is an idiot. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Regardless of who is right in this situation, it doesn't mean Simmons should be [expletive]ing and moaning about this stuff on national tv. Keep it behind closed doors. That's why he is an idiot.

I agree with that.

But drama sells and behind the scenes stuff rarely stays behind the scenes now.

#31 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Oh my god, can Simmons at least try to hide how butt hurt he is on national television? lol Get it together man.

#32 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,566 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:42 PM

I agree with Simmons. He's right, Doc quit on the Celtics. I totally understand why he did it though. He doesn't wanna stick around and lose. Why deny that?

If after we got swept by the Mavs, Phil Jackson said he's either gonna come back or retire, and then ended up leaving to coach the Thunder, you'd all be saying the same thing as Simmons. He quit on them.

• 40,401 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Doc was on the Dan Patrick Show and responded more thoroughly to it:

Edited by    , June 28, 2013 - 12:43 PM.

yo.

#34 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 28, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Too funny, in reality while I do agree professionalism should triumph here and Simmons shouldn't act this frontal about his fanship, aren't we also too critical of when analysts don't speak their mind and speak the same PR directed ESPN lines or just announcers fawning over certain 'players' like high schoolers.

#35 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 28, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Now it's blowing up.

Doc owns Simmons. Doc may not be fully honest, but Simmons also lacks integrity. He's not objective when he covers the Lakers and Celtics and it blows up in his face some times.

Doc "quitting" is semantics, after all, the Celtics did "trade" him for a pick. I also have doubts that Boston wanted to pay Doc 7 million/year to coach scrubs when their goal is really to get a top 4 pick next season.

I'm all for Doc making BS look bad, and it's easy because Simmons has diarrhea mouth and athletes (Jalen, etc) aren't likely to stick their neck out to defend Bill.

If Simmons isn't careful, he'll become another Skip Bayless. TV is not his strong suit, and he's not a reporter. He needs to return to his strengths which are writing and free flow conversations with his buddies.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#36 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 28, 2013 - 02:33 PM

@brohrbach: Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."

@BillSimmons: The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making [expletive] up.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#37 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,470 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 28, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Watching the Celtics burn to the ground right before my eyes.

tumblr_inline_mheslaKwFO1qz4rgp.gif
iyjywo.jpg

• 40,401 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Man, how & when is this gonna' end? You guys think there's any chance ESPN eventually tells Simmons to stop or disciplines him?

yo.

#39 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted June 28, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Can ESPN have a 1 hour sit down with Doc ala The Decision, where at the end he says whether he quit or not :D LOL!!! It can be called Did I QUIT? lmao. To spice it up further Bill Simmons can do the interview :D. May end up being a shorter show than advertised.

#40 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Man, how & when is this gonna' end? You guys think there's any chance ESPN eventually tells Simmons to stop or disciplines him?

Why would they do that? ESPN loves this type of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users