Photo

UPDATE: Bill Simmons Now Threatening Doc Rivers; Simmons Says Doc Quit On Celtics, Doc Calls Him An Idiot; Doc's Son Gets Involved; Dan Patrick

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: UPDATE: Bill Simmons Now Threatening Doc Rivers; Simmons Says Doc Quit On Celtics, Doc Calls Him An Idiot; Doc's Son Gets Involved; Dan Patrick (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you agree with here more?

1. Bill Simmons. (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

2. Doc Rivers. (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Unsure. Both have strong points. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Edit, update: Updates constantly coming in every several hours or so seemingly. Check this first post especially as I keep updating it with every new piece of info.

Doc Rivers on Bill Simmons: "I would like to call him an idiot, but I'm too classy for that"

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons 

That rumored Celtics-Nets trade is so bad for Boston that Doc Rivers just quit on the Celtics again.

Damn. Shots fired. This NBA draft was a lot more entertaining than I think many would've initially expected.

@brohrbach: Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."

@BillSimmons: The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making [expletive] up.

Good summary on how Doc contradicted himself all week: http://bit.ly/16EvmhC  (Does not include his PTI waffling.) He needs to pick a story.

https://twitter.com/...616925669306369

When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

Damn, more shots fired big time.

Doc Rivers’ son Jeremiah sounds off on ESPN’s Bill Simmons after Simmons said Rivers ‘quit on the Celtics’

http://sports.yahoo....-150333520.html

Untitled.png

image.png

image.png

The Doc Rivers-Bill Simmons sequence was honest, tense television. Bravo, ESPN. Bravo times two.

http://inagist.com/a...62697227304962/

"The truth keeps changing....When he sticks to a story, I'l believe the truth." - Bill SImmons, on Doc Rivers

http://inagist.com/a...62416766779393/

Here he (Simmons) reacts to the Celtics/Nets trade:

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

Edited by    , June 28, 2013 - 04:18 PM.

yo.

#2 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:56 PM

That was the best part of this draft imo

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:58 PM

^ Yeah, arguably. Unfortunately, I didn't have my popcorn on me at the time, but other than that it was quite an exchange.

yo.

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I am siding with Simmons on this, Doc didn't do anything wrong, just own it and say I didn't want to be a rebuilding coach.

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I can't stand Bill Simmons.

to me a guy like HIM is EVERYTHING a NBA player is NOT.

basically he defines his criteria of greatness into what best fits his heroes career.

Don't like how he critiques players, and their personal problems. He needs to get in a couple of fights.

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Doc Rivers on Bill Simmons: "I would like to call him an idiot, but I'm too classy for that"

yo.

#7 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,352 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:26 PM

That was so hilarious, Bill Simmons is an idiot.

EyMlHkX.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:45 PM

yo.

#9 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:45 PM

I agree with Doc Rivers. Simmons is an idiot.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#10 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I LOL'd when I saw this, so awkward haha

The North Remembers

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,967 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Bill Simmons always sounds like an idiot. 

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,020 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:08 PM

I agree with Doc here. Bill simmons says some off the wall stuff sometimes.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,516 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:09 PM

actually bill simmons kind of owned him. doc was pissed and very defensive, probably because what simmons said was true. doc did quit and simmons as a celtic fan was more than willing to call him out on it.

and then in typical classless fashion calls him an idiot on television, so what does simmons do, he destroys doc with facts. 

Posted Image

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,516 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:11 PM

I agree with Doc here. Bill simmons says some off the wall stuff sometimes.

except what bill simmons said about doc was 100% true. 

the facts are simple

Doc was going to retire and do TV if he remained the celtics coach

suddenly he's willing to coach in LA

he quit on the team and franchise. simmons was just saying what everyone is thinking. that's why doc was so offended

Posted Image

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Just saw this tweet from Bill. Similar to what's already been said, but still:

That rumored Celtics-Nets trade is so bad for Boston that Doc Rivers just quit on the Celtics again.

yo.

#16 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,020 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:08 PM

except what bill simmons said about doc was 100% true. 

the facts are simple

Doc was going to retire and do TV if he remained the celtics coach

suddenly he's willing to coach in LA

he quit on the team and franchise. simmons was just saying what everyone is thinking. that's why doc was so offended

So a change of scenery means he quit on them? Doc didnt phone it in during the season and not do all he could for the celtics to help them win. He still coached like they had a shot at the title when everyone knew they didnt. Quitting is a strong term that should only be used when a person calls it in during a game or a season. Leaving is the correct term here. Did doc leave the celtics? Yep. Would you say Jordan quit on the bulls to play baseball, or that he left to go pursue something else? Doc left to go pursue a coaching job with the clippers, never gave up on the celtics. Coaching the same team for so many years gets restless and some coaches prefer a new challenge or a change of scenery and thats what doc did. Maybe it was because they were in a rebuilding stage, but who's to say he owes the celtics anything. Did he not get them a ring? Did he not coach to the best of his ability and did everything he could to help them succeed? Quitting has a negative connotation of giving up and that is something Doc never did in Boston and doesnt deserve to be called a quitter.

Bill simmons is just saying some bull crap like most of the things he says. A bad analyst imo and bad reporter.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,056 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Now that Doc  is away from the Celtics he can start saying things we like again :laughing:

I LOVED his announcing when we played the Spurs when Fisher hit the .4 second shot :D

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#18 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Bill Simmons is right.

Don't let your hate for his opinions cloud your judgement. I agree with what he said.
iyjywo.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I decided to add a poll since the responses seem to be relatively mixed. Feel free to vote.

yo.

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,516 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:18 PM

So a change of scenery means he quit on them? Doc didnt phone it in during the season and not do all he could for the celtics to help them win. He still coached like they had a shot at the title when everyone knew they didnt. Quitting is a strong term that should only be used when a person calls it in during a game or a season. Leaving is the correct term here. Did doc leave the celtics? Yep. Would you say Jordan quit on the bulls to play baseball, or that he left to go pursue something else? Doc left to go pursue a coaching job with the clippers, never gave up on the celtics. Coaching the same team for so many years gets restless and some coaches prefer a new challenge or a change of scenery and thats what doc did. Maybe it was because they were in a rebuilding stage, but who's to say he owes the celtics anything. Did he not get them a ring? Did he not coach to the best of his ability and did everything he could to help them succeed? Quitting has a negative connotation of giving up and that is something Doc never did in Boston and doesnt deserve to be called a quitter.

Bill simmons is just saying some bull crap like most of the things he says. A bad analyst imo and bad reporter.

did jordan say he was going to play baseball, get traded and then play basketball for another team? no

Doc quit. 100%. no point in arguing because you're wrong. the facts are there. 

Doc is said to not wanting to be a part of rebuilding

then there are rumblings that if the celtics retain him he will go into television

suddenly the clippers trade for him and he's gung ho coaching again

he quit on the team and franchise. period, no question and he proved it further by calling simmons an idiot. if he wasn't self conscious about it he wouldn't have responded that way. calling someone an idiot on live television. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users