Photo

Dwight Howard "STAY" banner hanging outside Staples Center

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#81 Rad

Rad

• 1,626 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:06 PM

D12 should be begging to stay. Not the other way around.. but whatever really.

#82 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,390 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:08 PM

How would we do that?

Exercise confidence that with or without him the franchise is about winning Chips. And they will continue to proceed with roster acquisitions the same way the Lakers tradition always has. Because anything less than Championships is a failure. And we want him to lead that effort but if his heart is else where were prepared to move in a new direction.

Show strength. Not weakness. That billboard indirectly says
"Please D12 (on knees groveling) don't leave. Were nothing with out you. We can't proceed unless your on our payroll for max. Please don't leave us for Houston. Stay with us forever because we need your help".

Truth is we don't need him. Actually we showed the NBA world we didn't need Shaq and won 2 titles with out him. And D12 isnt 10% the dominant force Shaq was. Yet we still persevered. The Lakers future doesn't end with D12 leaving.

Edited by LakersGAFan, June 26, 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#83 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,846 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:10 PM

The Lakers indeed do need him, don't fool yourself.

What they don't need is to publicly beg him to stay.

#84 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Meh, I really doubt the billboard will factor in either way

Posted Image

#85 MysticBlu~

MysticBlu~

Rookie

• 947 posts
  • Name:Jennie
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:12 PM

LOL wow!

#86 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:12 PM

It factors into public perception if the franchise and the terrible direction they're heading.

#87 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,390 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:16 PM

The Lakers indeed do need him, don't fool yourself.
What they don't need is to publicly beg him to stay.

Its convienant if we have him for the immediate futures win %. But if he leaves then 3-5 years down the road another superstar will come. We rebuild. That's what I meant by the franchise not needing him.

#88 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:17 PM

It factors into public perception if the franchise and the terrible direction they're heading.

It's no secret that the Lakers what him to stay. The billboard just says the same thing. The Lakers' future plans with the team are ultimately what's going to decide what Dwight will do.

I don't see what the billboard has to do with any of that. It just says they want him to stay.

Edited by Japago, June 26, 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#89 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Great, going with that, then why do it?

It's a glaring sign of an unsure and desperate franchise.

And you don't worry about 3-5 years, you have to win as much as you can now. Dwight is a giant part of that winning.

#90 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Great, going with that, then why do it?

It's a glaring sign of an unsure and desperate franchise.

Why is it desperate? Who doesn't know that the Lakers want Dwight to stay? I don't look at it as desperate to advertise something they should want.

It's just unnecessary to me rather than it being desperate.

Posted Image

#91 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:26 PM

wow...

this is sad...

Is this where the Lakers have fallen?

To the level of the Cleveland Cavs?

Is there one positive about the lakers anymore?

Horrible from the top to the bottem... Its Kobe and no one else...

1044377_10151694109979390_731568312_n.jp

THIS IS DOPE!!!

I HOPE WE CAN KEEP HIM!

ONLY A FEW DAYS REMAIN FOR OUR DESTINY!!!

#92 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:27 PM

You truly don't see the desperation in this?

Ok.

#93 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Oh come on...

Everyone should clearly see this is as desperate as it gets!

Ok.

This is like making a mix tape, and holding a boom box outside a girls window...

#94 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:30 PM

There are more billboards. July 12 is when hes eligible to sign

http://espn.go.com/l...ward-billboards

The sign is one of "six or seven" billboards the Lakers plan on putting up in "various key locations" in order to try to woo the free agent to be, according to team spokesman, John Black.

The Lakers also unveiled a billboard above Hollywood Boulevard with the same message. Both signs include the hashtag "STAYD12," hoping the message catches on through social media. Black said the team will also take out a full-page advertisement in the Los Angeles Times.

Black described the campaign as a "company-wide initiative" that was agreed upon by both the basketball operations and business side of the Lakers as part of the team's plan to get the seven-time All-Star to sign a max contract extension to remain in L.A

While it might seem out of the ordinary for a team with 16 championships to its credit to be so forthcoming about its interest in a single player, Black said the Lakers have treated previous players such as Shaquille O'Neal to grandiose displays of appreciation. They just have not embarked on this type of campaign with a free agent before.

"We knew that there would be a wide range of opinions," Black said. "Our opinion, which we've made clear, is that our top priority is signing Dwight. We want to let him know how important he is to us out in the public. We're comfortable letting the public know how we feel."

When asked about Howard, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told the team website on Tuesday, "He's our future."

The NBA free agency period officially begins on July 1 at midnight ET, marking the start of when competing teams are allowed to contact Howard and his representatives.

A max deal with the Lakers for Howard would be five years, $118 million. The most he could receive from another team -- the Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers will be among the other potential suitors -- would be four years, $87.6 million.

Howard plans to hear the other pitches that are out there.

"I will sit down with these teams and hear what they have to say," Howard recently told the Orange County Register. "See if their plans and my plans fit and go with the best option that will help my game expand, and get to where I want to get to."

Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant said he will make a personal plea to Howard when the time is right.

"You don't start the selling process right before he goes and does all this stuff," Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com earlier this month. "You want to get the last word. You want to have the final word and the closing argument."

The earliest Howard can sign any new contract is July 12, when the NBA lifts a moratorium on new business.

Edited by MDI, June 26, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#95 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:42 PM

With Jim Buss at the helm, can we really expect anything better? This latest stunt proves how clueless the current FO is as to how to run a storied franchise like the Lakers.

#96 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Lakers will make excuses for this oat ridiculously sad of ideas, but it still boils down to the Lakers now admitting that may allure they had by simply being the Lakers is all but gone.

Things are changing for the Lakers and not for the better whatsoever.

This is the notion of a second rate team that can't hold on to star players, not the league's most famous and winning franchise.

Personally, as a lifting Laker fan I am officially embarrassed by this most juvenile of campaigns.

#97 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,090 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Would you guys at least give credit for this marketing tactic? I will bet that if Houston did this, there would be people here complaining why we didn't do it and how this franchise does not care.  Let's be real though. These billboards are not going to solely convince Dwight to stay. It all starts with management, and that includes getting rid of MDA. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#98 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ok.

Now that I know a lot more of these are going out, it does seem a bit more desperate to me now. In the end though, I don't think it's that awful to advertise something everybody knows the Lakers' want.

But, I just don't care either way. It doesn't change much in terms of getting Dwight to stay or go. It comes down to what the Lakers have planned basketball-wise, which will be the Lakers' biggest problem in terms of getting him to stay.

Posted Image

#99 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:50 PM

This is not marketing.

This is a plea to an individual player. Teams like Houston have to do things like this, they're second rate. The Lakers should have more respect for themselves than to cop to this junk.

This is not good marketing this is poor management.

This is less about convincing Dwight to stay and not about showing the public and the player you're begging that you have no confidence In who you are, what you're doing or will do.

#100 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, we're pretty desperate for him to stay. 

Whatever we need, I guess. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users