Photo

A Small Rant: Are Mitch & Jim Buss On Vacation Or What?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,358 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:20 AM

You must have missed when Kobe was a free agent.

That is a different. Because Kobe actually tells Jerry Buss what he wants.  Kobe never let the Lakers hanging. Dwight on the other hand have no respect for the Lakers and leave a franchise hanging. Toying with this franchise. He is doing the exact same thing to the Lakers as he did to the Magic. Nobody knows if he is going to leave or not and it forces a franchise to stop doing whatever they needed to do. The draft is coming in a couple of days and the Lakers have no idea what to do with the draft when a player is holding them hostage. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#22 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,979 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:24 AM

After what COach D did to Kobe last season & still has his job = stop thinking about another Coach. it obviously is not going to happen.

And as a consequence we might end up with nothing. Why am i the only one that's worried?

#23 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,595 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thank gawd MDT is still our coach!

Now we don't have to worry about pesky things like strategy, attracting quality free agents, winning and being competitive.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#24 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,358 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thank gawd MDT is still our coach!

Now we don't have to worry about pesky things like strategy, attracting quality free agents, winning and being competitive.

I agree. With MDA at the helm, we will be a stress free franchise.  Chasing a championship is so stressful anyway.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#25 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I agree. With MDA at the helm, we will be a stress free franchise.  Chasing a championship is so stressful anyway.

Very true lol.

In the 40's we got one, in the 50's we got 4, the 60's well second place like every year doesn't count, the 70's that one special championship, 80's was 5 championships, 90's well umm go Nick Van Exel, the 00's were 4, and this decade we led off with one. Basically we have one very amazing decade, and then slump (by our standards). If it weren't for Kobe and wanting to win at least one more, I'd be ok with slowly rebuilding. We have been one of the, if not the most consistent franchise in all of North American sports historically.

People relax, yes we are very flawed, but enjoy the lows so the high become sweeter.

Edited by Ven21, June 26, 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#26 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:09 AM

One thing I learned about this Lakers Organization: If Mitch is quiet, he's definitely working his ass off.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Answer to this question is simple.  Dwight Howard is taking the Lakers hostage right now. Hands are tied and they can't do anything until they know whats going to happen with Dwight.

I have been a Lakers fans since 1985 and I have never ever seen a year where a player take the most prominant sports franchise hostage like this.  

In every interview when the media asked Mitch about Dwight, his answer is "Dwight is our future."  Every time he said that I feel queesy.

Kobe did and it was actually worse.

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:39 AM

That is a different. Because Kobe actually tells Jerry Buss what he wants.  Kobe never let the Lakers hanging. Dwight on the other hand have no respect for the Lakers and leave a franchise hanging. Toying with this franchise. He is doing the exact same thing to the Lakers as he did to the Magic. Nobody knows if he is going to leave or not and it forces a franchise to stop doing whatever they needed to do. The draft is coming in a couple of days and the Lakers have no idea what to do with the draft when a player is holding them hostage. 

you're wrong, it was FAR worse when kobe was about to go to the Clippers leaving us with and old and NOT motivated Shaq. You just mean ESPN is a bigger part of your life now then it was then obviously

#29 rnr

rnr

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:The Buss Family

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:40 AM

You see a handfull of pieces starting to move - including the Clippers getting Doc Rivers. But what are the Lakers doing? Looking at [expletive]ing Shawne Williams??????

You're breaking my balls here, Mitch. 

Tell me this:

If you dont believe we can win next season, why not just amnesty Pau or Kobe and then aim for the lottery. To me, that's a stronger move towards a championshiop, than ending with the 7th or 8th seed again. 

When you see several teams making room on their roster for a pitch to Dwight why do you stand pat? If i was running the show i would have Micth, Jim, Jeannie, Jerry West, Magic, Kobe and Phil calling Dwight 24-7 telling him how awesome an opportunity it is to play with the Lakers. 

You see the Clips get Coc, a move that really can change a lot for the Clippers, but you stick to MDA who is a complete [expletive]ing tool. Why not send a massive F-U to the Clippers organisation, by hiring Phil Jackson for a two-year deal. That's the type of message you should send: you get a good coach, we get the best. 

I think we can win this upcoming season with what we have and what we can get and it's not that [expletive]ing difficult: Sign Phil in a Front office role, hire Shaw as head coach, amnesty metta, sign Martell Webster or Dorrell Wright to mini-midlevel, sign Ronnie Brewer to vet minimum and see what else we can get for cheap. Perhaps move Blake, Duhon and perhaps even Hill depending on what's out there. 

Instead we see the Lakers organisation scratch their asses while Dwight ends up going to Houston.

Another post from a mindless Basketball mind.. Here It from me a great Basketball mind..Lakers over the cap and in the luxury tax. Until you can come up with a better post,so with that said,at this time were not making many moves and not much in the near future because  the Lakers are going to get hit with a massive tax penalty in the up coming season............

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 26, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Answer to this question is simple.  Dwight Howard is taking the Lakers hostage right now. Hands are tied and they can't do anything until they know whats going to happen with Dwight.

I have been a Lakers fans since 1985 and I have never ever seen a year where a player take the most prominant sports franchise hostage like this.  

In every interview when the media asked Mitch about Dwight, his answer is "Dwight is our future."  Every time he said that I feel queesy.

Taking the Lakers hostage? 

He can't agree to anything until July 1st and can't sign anything until the week after. 

He's doing what other free agents have done when they hit the market, take their time and make the best decision for themselves.  

Kobe didn't sign his contract until July 16th, which was two days after they traded Shaquille O'Neal.  

NONE of you know what is going on behind the scenes besides that the Lakers and Dwight have been in constant communication since the end of the season. 

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 02:41 PM

One thing I learned about this Lakers Organization: If Mitch is quiet, he's definitely working his ass off.

Very true. When Mitch is loud, he's being lazy.

yo.

#32 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,979 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Another post from a mindless Basketball mind.. Here It from me a great Basketball mind..Lakers over the cap and in the luxury tax. Until you can come up with a better post,so with that said,at this time were not making many moves and not much in the near future because  the Lakers are going to get hit with a massive tax penalty in the up coming season............

LOL! A mindless basketball mind? That's a new one...

All i'm saying is that i worry that we'll end up losing Dwight because we dont do the one obvious thing that would make a strong move towards keeping him - i.e. getting rid of MDA.

Oh, and regarding Mitch when he's quiet - This past season Mitch have been a disappointment. We've struggled with injuries and with perimeter defense but have done absolutely nothing about it.

Ronnie Brewer, Delonte West, Kenyon Martin and Birdman all could have been added during the season for minimum deals, but nothing happened. OKC, NY and Miami snatched 3 of them and had success.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, June 26, 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#33 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:53 PM

They aren't doing anything until the Dwight Howard situation is resolved. 

Unfortunately they're also not doing much to resolve the Howard situation correctly. 

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,458 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Unfortunately they're also not doing much to resolve the Howard situation correctly. 

You don't know that. all you know is YOU don't want D'Antoni, and that's your basis for attacking a front office who did what EVERYONE thought was IMPOSSIBLE but the reults were NOT as planned for VARIOUS reasons, which including coaching on some level but BIGGER problems were there.

I don't care really, because Mitch and jim been doing this for a while, so I feel more than confident that we are always focused on winning.

Sometimes execution may not be PERFECT

BUT I like that my franchise INTENDS to WIN, PERIOD

Thats ENOUGH for me.

#35 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:25 PM

You don't know that. all you know is YOU don't want D'Antoni, and that's your basis for attacking a front office who did what EVERYONE thought was IMPOSSIBLE but the reults were NOT as planned for VARIOUS reasons, which including coaching on some level but BIGGER problems were there.

I don't care really, because Mitch and jim been doing this for a while, so I feel more than confident that we are always focused on winning.

Sometimes execution may not be PERFECT

BUT I like that my franchise INTENDS to WIN, PERIOD

Thats ENOUGH for me.

It's pretty clear one of Howard's biggest beefs with LA is coaching and the system. An easy way to show Howard LA wants him to stay is to fire the coach that said a 3 pointer takes priority over a postup. What superstar center would want to play in that offense? 

#36 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,935 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:26 PM

How many championships has your franchise won while you were GM?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#37 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:28 PM

How many championships has your franchise won while you were GM?

They can talk to Howard and be in constant communication with him as much as they want, but until they make a coaching change Houston will have the upper hand. They have better pieces, a coach that knows how to play the post, and with Howard a legitimate shot at contending. 

#38 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,979 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 11:55 PM

A few thoughts from this mindless basketball mind regarding payroll and luxury tax. The Lakers have been paying 20-30 million in luxury tax for years and this year that bill could be up in the 80 million dollar area. However, next year the restrictions in the new cba makes it very difficult for the Lakers to get into the luxury tax going forward so when you look at the total tax paid over a span of 3-4 years, I don’t think a high bill this year will matter much economically. What will matter is whether the Lakers are in the playoffs or not and how the team looks for the remainder of Kobe’s career.

Big picture, a high tax hit for one year and replacing MDA with someone who is not a complete tool is by far the best economic move, if losing Dwight is what’s at stake.

Another point. The new cba require teams to pay their players 90% of the cap, which is about 54 million. This actually give the Lakers a chance to get rid of a bit of extra money – like Steve Blake so you can move him without really taking anything back. Also, you can amnesty Metta, which will save about 7,7 million. You can re-sign Earl Clark to a back-loaded deal. You can waive Duhon which will save 2,2 million. If needed you can even move Pau for a cheaper option at the wing, like Luol Deng perhaps.

#39 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:05 AM

Yep, this is the time of year when we see dumb threads.

#40 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,979 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:33 AM

Why am i the only one who finds it problematic that we might lose out on Dwight because the front office stubbornly sticks to MDA when Phil Jackson is sitting there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users