Photo

Phil Jackson doesn't think Kobe retires till he passes Jordan in rings and scoring

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Phil Jackson says Kobe wants to pass Jordan in rings and all-time scoring

kobe-and-phil.jpg

Phil Jackson had plenty to say last night at an event in Los Angeles. Not only did he reveal that he’s an unofficial consultant to the Lakers, he also shed some light on Kobe Bryant‘s remaining goals.

According to ESPN, Jackson said that Kobe’s priority is winning another championship – which would tie Michael Jordan‘s total of six – and he also wants to surpass MJ in the all-time scoring list:

Phil Jackson isn’t quite sure when Kobe Bryant will return to the court next season, but he’s convinced Bryant won’t leave the hardwood for good until he at least ties Michael Jordan’s six titles and surpasses Jordan on the all-time scoring list.

“His goal is another championship,” Jackson said Thursday. “He also has a chance to replace Michael Jordan in the all-time scoring list. Those are two goals, with the first one being a championship, that Kobe would like to accomplish.”

Bryant, who has five titles to Jordan’s six, is fourth on the NBA’s all-time scoring list with 31,617 points, behind Jordan’s 32,292.

Read More Here:  http://lakerholicz.c...ll-time-scoring

Thoughts?   Not surprised to be honest :D It is Kobe after all!

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 03:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,090 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:04 PM

expected 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yea no one should be surprised by this, regardless we all knew he would come back next year even if he is a little off balanced from intense recovery.

Him surpassing MJ should still happen seeing as it is less than 700 points (675 exact). Kobe would only need to play around 50 games and average roughly 20 points to surpass MJ.

Edited by Ven21, June 23, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sadly for some, if LeBron's beast outta' this world freak body & athleticism combined don't decline too soon, he could very well pass them both himself in scoring more likely than titles.

yo.

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sadly for some, if LeBron's beast outta' this world freak body & athleticism combined don't decline too soon, he could very well pass them both himself in scoring more likely than titles.

Well he currently in the regular season has 21,081 so far in 10 seasons. In his 7 Cleveland seasons he averaged 2178.7 per season, while in Miami in 3 season it is at 1943.3 per season (granted one was a lockout). He is barely gonna be 29 in December of this year. All he really needs is just 6 more years of consistency of hovering at around 1800- 2000 points per season to surpass MJ practically. Even when he begins to decline, you can count him for 1500 maybe. Even when he gets 'injured', to him its more like a tweak.

It really will all depend on who is teammates are as the years go, but it pretty safe to put him at that 31k-33k.

#6 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM

The question is how much shouldbwe pay him?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:46 PM

The question is how much shouldbwe pay him?

I think that question should be answered AFTER we sign the Free agent in 2014 if it came to that and Dwight re-signs this year.

If we get a guy like Carmelo, Kobe probably takes the MLE, if we got someone like leBron(not gonna happen) Kobe probably would take around the same.

Kobe wouldn't outprice himself for the chance at a championship.

if we don't get any max player and instead spend it on a bunch of VERY good role players then Kobe probably gets paid more with whats left over.

#8 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 464 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted June 23, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well he currently in the regular season has 21,081 so far in 10 seasons. In his 7 Cleveland seasons he averaged 2178.7 per season, while in Miami in 3 season it is at 1943.3 per season (granted one was a lockout). He is barely gonna be 29 in December of this year. All he really needs is just 6 more years of consistency of hovering at around 1800- 2000 points per season to surpass MJ practically. Even when he begins to decline, you can count him for 1500 maybe. Even when he gets 'injured', to him its more like a tweak.

It really will all depend on who is teammates are as the years go, but it pretty safe to put him at that 31k-33k.

Damn another 6 years? I honestly think LeBron will decline around 32. He is not as lucky as Kobe who had Shaq in his early career. Kobe didn't take the beating the same way LeBron and Wade did until he became a real superstar in 01. Thats why Wade declined was so bad because all those years he got beat up going to the basket finally catching up to him.

I think Kevin Durant is the bigger threat since he is the ultimate offensive player that doesn't need to drive to score.

#9 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,767 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think that question should be answered AFTER we sign the Free agent in 2014 if it came to that and Dwight re-signs this year.

If we get a guy like Carmelo, Kobe probably takes the MLE, if we got someone like leBron(not gonna happen) Kobe probably would take around the same.

Kobe wouldn't outprice himself for the chance at a championship.

if we don't get any max player and instead spend it on a bunch of VERY good role players then Kobe probably gets paid more with whats left over.

http://assets.sbnati...66325/kobev.gif

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Kobe has an uphill climb

and by uphill climb I mean Mike D'Antoni

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:21 PM

http://assets.sbnati...66325/kobev.gif

It'd be a one year deal man.  And Kobe isn't going to price himself out at the risk of not winning a championship, at that point the money will be the last on his mind he has enough money for a lifetime and he's smart. 

He isn't gonna throw away a shot at a championship over money.

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:32 PM

We arent winning a ring any time soon unless we for sure get dwight on board and somehow get some miracle signs or trades. Also the coaching situation sure isn't making anything easier. 

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:11 PM

We arent winning a ring any time soon unless we for sure get dwight on board and somehow get some miracle signs or trades.

Do you actually think it's possible for us to win a ring with Mike D'Antoni leading us?

yo.

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Do you actually think it's possible for us to win a ring with Mike D'Antoni leading us?

I mean of course its possible. Just very very unlikely especially with this squad. Contrary to some peoples opinions we really dont have that good of a team. Too many injury prone player who are under performing. Our salary position right now too is just bad. We pretty much have little to no options right now and for this upcoming season. 

#15 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:28 PM

LMFAO. That just made my night.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:16 PM

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,851 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Lol.

When wel ost to OKC in five, you had Stephen A Smith going right after Jim Buss immediately for I guess not trading Bynum or whatever it was.

So when Dwight and Nash come through, the only one to question at that point was Mike Brown and how he would handle things, and then the princeton offense.

We went from second round team, to couldnt win a pre season game and only could beat Detroit, with Kobe and metta playing much better than the year before. MUCH better from Metta's perspective especially.

trade him and win with Bernie, some good games, and so d'Antoni changes the style and we have bad results for the most part. Then the bigs all go down, we were 1- and 22 and in postion to win before Dwight, Pau and Hill are all lost in the same gamer. With NO bigs, we couldn't beat ANYONE.

Eventually Dwight came back, but he took a step back with his injury . We ended up 17-25 after the Memphis loss.

From then, 28-12...and it wasn't ALL kobe.

The point is, this team has SOME REAL potential , and I believe that even DESPITE D'Antoni's shortcomings, if we keep Howard, we can be really good

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Lol.

When wel ost to OKC in five, you had Stephen A Smith going right after Jim Buss immediately for I guess not trading Bynum or whatever it was.

So when Dwight and Nash come through, the only one to question at that point was Mike Brown and how he would handle things, and then the princeton offense.

We went from second round team, to couldnt win a pre season game and only could beat Detroit, with Kobe and metta playing much better than the year before. MUCH better from Metta's perspective especially.

trade him and win with Bernie, some good games, and so d'Antoni changes the style and we have bad results for the most part. Then the bigs all go down, we were 1- and 22 and in postion to win before Dwight, Pau and Hill are all lost in the same gamer. With NO bigs, we couldn't beat ANYONE.

Eventually Dwight came back, but he took a step back with his injury . We ended up 17-25 after the Memphis loss.

From then, 28-12...and it wasn't ALL kobe.

The point is, this team has SOME REAL potential , and I believe that even DESPITE D'Antoni's shortcomings, if we keep Howard, we can be really good

I remember a Lakers team that won 61 games coached by Harris before being swept by the Jazz a team I loathed.

Our team has potential.  I think Brown had the right "style" for us and the right basic blueprint.  

But I think he just didn't know how he wanted to teach it or coach it, the Princeton wasn't his, it was Eddie Jordan's. 

Bernie knew how to simplify things down, and they simplified it and what do you know we won some games cause we weren't thinking so much.  

You know how in 2k13 where you can set your "Run plays" Meter up to 99 and then if you run CPU vs CPU the team with the "run plays" meter at 99 flows it beautifully, when the offense clicks, but if one person is out of place or one defender is out of place the play breaks down to the end of the shot clock or results in a turnover?

THAT was us.  

Bernie turned it down to 50 and we played a lot better. 

I think if we'd built on that foundation we'd have been fine.

See, the advantage of us when we learned the triangle(the little brother to the Princeton) was the fact that we had played years together before Phil got there, so we already knew each others habits, and though it took us an entire pre-season to understand the triangle, we grasped it because we were dealing with learning the system, not learning each other's habits.

But in THIS situation not only did we have to learn the new system, we had to learn the new system, we had to learn the new teammates, we had to learn each others habits all in one and THAT was proving too difficult a task. 

I used to grab at my hair whenever we'd foul someone after leading them to Dwight who would then block the shot :smh:

That plus learning something complex like the Princeton just proved a LOT of struggle early on.  Then losing Nash made it worse.  

I will say that when we played those pre-season games, whenever we played our full lineup we usually always had the lead, when we put in our end of the bench guys we didn't.

Even the game we bought Dwight in we were winning pretty comfortably and then we sat down our starters. 

The next game we didn't have Dwight cause he was sore, and then the next 2 we didn't have Kobe cause his foot was sore.

So I don't take so much from the pre-season there.  

Season opener, Dwight was so... un Dwight that one of the first wide open dunks we got him he barely made it over the rim and the missed free throws lost us that one.  In our second game we lost Nash and the rest is history but I will say that Jazz loss we missed some of the most wide open shots we would get that season :smh:   That offense did put us in good positions to score, we would just muck it up thinking too much or hesitating on shots.   Though I will say if our coach was a coach like Phil that knew how to coach things princeton triangle etc it would have been easier of a transition though we still would have struggled learning everyone's tendencies and I think the front office would have been more patient.

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#19 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Before the "Death of Kobe" (Achillies) I figured the same. However now I dont see that as being the case. The Resurrection of Kobe will determine if that drive returns again.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Problem is "really good" just isn't gonna' cut it. Since when is "really good" for us something to be satisfied about? It's all about championship or bust here and I don't think many believe (& rightfully so) frankly D'Antoni can lead us to that despite the players we might have. After all, what good are the players when the one calling the shots doesn't know how to utilize them best?

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users