Photo

Kawhi Leonard, What Is His Ceiling?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:01 PM

The guy is still only 21 years old, though about to turn 22 in about a week or so. He was arguably the Spurs' most consistent player throughout the Finals. Finished averaging 14 points on 52% from the field including 37% from 3, 10 rebounds, and 2 steals.

Assuming more than likely Manu is gone & maybe even Duncan, how much more do you expect his role to expand? Could he now even potentially be seen as the #2 guy behind Parker?

Do you believe he has superstar, all-star, or just star potential? If you believe all-star or superstar, how soon do you think he can & will reach it?

Also, I personally can't believe some of you actually think he'll never "recover" from this, specifically his well-known extremely costly missed free throw in game 6 there at the end.

yo.

#2 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Don't think he has the playing style of a superstar but definitely a multiple time all star. Very solid B+ type player. Impressed with him.

Posted Image

#3 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Definitely at least star potential. Pop has said before he thinks the Spurs' organization will be Kawhi Leonard's once Duncan retires. If Pop thinks so, that's good enough for me. Very humble kid who seems like his sole focus is improving as a basketball player. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#4 L.A.7

L.A.7

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Seems like a good kid. Great player also. It will be interesting to see how he further develops his game. IMO he has potential to be a superstar because he can play great defense, pretty good offense, and is exceptional at rebounding. He will probably be a multiple time all star, but definetely has the tools to be a superstar.

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:21 AM

Popovich and the system the Spurs run have a ton to do with his success.

I'm not sure he's such a  talented player that his game would transcend any and every coaching style and team out there.  He's a product of being on the right team at the right time.

#6 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:27 AM

Popovich and the system the Spurs run have a ton to do with his success.

I'm not sure he's such a  talented player that his game would transcend any and every coaching style and team out there.  He's a product of being on the right team at the right time.

33bkfif.jpg

#7 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,396 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 21, 2013 - 05:49 AM

future franchise player of the Spurs if he decides to stay there. The guy is getting limited touches as a 4th option and still putting up super star #s.

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Again.

Look at LONG SFs in this league.

He can hit the three, drive, finish, rebound etc.

His ceiling is Pippen, the best we saw to play that style. Doubt he gets THERE.

I think he can be as good as Ron was

#9 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,402 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I think this kid could pull a Paul George. 

veqdeg.jpg

#10 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,092 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I can see this kid being a borderline superstar if he can keep it up, but then again maybe he's just thriving in Pop's system. The jury  will be out till Pop retires and if Kawhi can still produce in a different system 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#11 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 446 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:17 PM

I was really impressed with Kawhi Leonard in these playoffs. He's definitely a future All Star but he needs to learn how to handle himself in pressure situations. He's definitely made a name for himself in the Finals but the moment that pops out the most to me was him missing that crucial free throw in Game 6 that would've put the nail on the coffin for the Heat. Even if Ray Allen made that three pointer, they'd still be up by 1 with the possession. He's young and he'll eventually learn but he could've won his team the NBA Title with just that one free throw.

Edited by LAKing85, June 21, 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Spurs have great player development, I'm going to say all star. 

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:45 PM

I dont think hes a superstar. Hes comparable to Paul George I suppose, George is a much better ball handler/facilator, Leonard is a better rebounder/defender.  Leonard is like a borderline all star that should be your 3rd option on offense

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:23 PM

Borderline all star, role player guy

He's not that talented
Posted Image

#15 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted June 22, 2013 - 05:55 AM

I think his ceiling is probably something around the Granger, Gay, Igoudala, Deng range. Very solid player, not a superstar or guy who will be the centerpiece of a team though. Definitely has a bright future in the league, just not superstar-bright.

Edited by djcovi, June 22, 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 02:15 PM

He is a talented rebounder for sure. I like his defense as well.

18 points 8 boards. Block and a steal

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've seen people say that a Scottie Pippen type player is his ceiling, but I think that's unfair this early in his career to be compared to that. 

Now I also think it's unfair to say his success is due in large part to Popovich.  Leonard was a selected 15th overall by Indiana, so it's not like he was a late first rounder or a second round pick.    Look at his scouting report and it's pretty damn accurate if you ask me

Strengths: A hybrid forward with terrific length … He has a high motor and plays the game with a lot of energy … Spends majority of the time on the perimeter, but occasionally shows the ability to play with his back to the basket … Uses an effective turnaround jumper inside when posting up … An agile athlete, his strides are extremely long and he covers a lot of space when running the floor … Shows improvement in majority of areas from freshman to sophomore seasons … His shooting has improved and he has become a respectable threat from the outside … Operating out of the triple threat, he combines a nice jab with a fairly quick and long first step to create separation … He has a strong preference going to his pull-up jumper, and once he gets into a rhythm he can string a number makes together (his length and high release make it a difficult shot to contest) … He is fairly comfortable handling the ball in the open court and is capable of pushing it out off the rebound when the situation calls for it … Even with the improvements to his offensive game, he still continues to contribute heavily in the rebounding department … His huge hangs, length, energy and great timing, allow him to snatch balls on both ends that are well outside of his rebounding area … An extremely quick jumper, he is very good at tipping the ball and keeping it alive on the rim … Has the instincts and shows potential in becoming a very solid defender … His ability to get out in the passing lanes and also contest shots inside make him a very dangerous weapon on the defensive end …

I don't think he'll be an offensively dominant player in the league, but I think the comparisons to Gerald Wallace are pretty spot on.   He can be a Wallace type player with a better offensive game. 

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Gerald Wallace but less Crashing

• 40,395 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I don't see why people are saying kawhi Leonard is gonna become a superstar this season.

I mean he's a good player but I don't think he's an all star.

He's still young though. I personally don't think he will, but he does have a lot of time.

yo.

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,644 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 07, 2013 - 10:08 PM

11pts and 6reb a game are superstar numbers? Man you have low standards lol

future franchise player of the Spurs if he decides to stay there. The guy is getting limited touches as a 4th option and still putting up super star #s.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users