Photo

Tony Parker, Does This Series Change Him Being #1 PG In The Game?

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:45 AM

He also hasn't had a coach on the level of Popovich behind him nor a team that has/had the drive he has.  He single-handedly brought the Hornets to the playoffs every time they made it.  And almost took the Lakers out sheerly through his own talent and will once as well.  The guy could be a transcendent point guard, but having the right circumstances is certainly a must if he is to accomplish what he wants to.

If he re-signs with the Clippers, he'll be staring down a career path very similar to John Stockton. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:54 AM

If he re-signs with the Clippers, he'll be staring down a career path very similar to John Stockton. 

I'm assuming you're assuming with this statement that the whole Doc Rivers, KG, & Pierce thing won't happen after all correct?

yo.

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:57 AM

I think the Clippers got smart and are doing it the right way.

Get Doc, have Doc convince Paul to re-sign, the Celtics may waive Pierce, then you go get 'em (although I think people are forgetting the money and press the Mavericks are gonna throw at him), then make a deal for KG after a month or so.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,454 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 21, 2013 - 03:27 AM

He also hasn't had a coach on the level of Popovich behind him nor a team that has/had the drive he has.  He single-handedly brought the Hornets to the playoffs every time they made it.  And almost took the Lakers out sheerly through his own talent and will once as well.  The guy could be a transcendent point guard, but having the right circumstances is certainly a must if he is to accomplish what he wants to.

Agree.

As long as Blake is the 2nd option or franchise star on that Clipper team behind CP3... they don't get out of the 2nd round.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#25 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 21, 2013 - 03:32 AM

Tony Parker is the games best PG easy. It took a 6'8" Lebron to guard him in the Finals and he still made plays.

Theres no comparison between TP and CP3's ability.

CP3 must first do something of substance to prove himself. Not just throw highlight lobs up during regular season games.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#26 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:40 AM

I don't think you can omit CP3 and Rondo from the top regardless of how you personally feel about them, especially when healthy. Rose is more of a one guard but still a dominant and effective ball handler even when he isn't looking to score, I am not very picky of assist tallies as long as the player produces better team play which I do believe Rose does. I've never really cared much for Westbrook (even though he is an UCLA alum) he is offensively talented but he at all doesn't care to be a play maker, if anything it is impressive he has managed this far in his career to try and be a PG.

So being consistent with how the game is played nowadays, easily CP3 and Rondo at the top, then followed by Rose and Westbrook. The last spot depends on preference. I know the media loves to hype Curry and Williams but I don't buy it, Wall finally had a good season bit still not impressive, Lawson is good but still. I would call it a toss up with Parker and Irving, with the edge on Parker over experience and consistency. But Irving has a lot of upside in offenses and passing.

Edited by Ven21, June 21, 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,063 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Chris Paul...I guess seems to be the consensus.

to me, I would have agreed 5 years ago.

Now, its any given night.

Chris Paul has more freedom to monopolize the ball to get his stats. LeBron is also in that category and Kobe.

But people often criticize Kobe for maintaining his numbers no matter who his teammates are, yet we saw Blake's numbers fall when Chris paul came around.

I don't like that.

I think Rose WAS better.

I think Parker( before his injury late this season) was playing at a higher level.

i thought Westbrook had a bigger impact, when he was healthy and I liked his durability at the time.

I used to like Deron better.

Now it appears that Paul is back on top.

I look at rondo like Matt Ryan, too much help. i can't tell how good he REALLY is

#28 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,514 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:32 AM

When TPs game is on, he's a SOB. Everyone saw how much his outside shot has improved. Too bad he had a 6 8 monster named LeBron guarding him. 

2hf753r.jpg

#29 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't think this series hurts TP status wise. People forget he hurt his hamstring what on the second game? That's about when his athleticism let him down especially with the bigger stronger James on him. Yet, even with a hurt hammy he made James look silly a few times crossing him up. 

That nice quick crossover on James to the fadeaway three is one I'll remember, especially since he got back on D stole a pass and came down and got the turnaround jumper in the paint. 

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#30 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 21, 2013 - 11:40 AM

1) Chris Paul

2) Tony Parker 

I consider Westbrook more of a two guard, even tho he listed as a PG 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I don't think you can omit CP3 and Rondo from the top regardless of how you personally feel about them.

To me as good as Rondo's overall & almost complete game is, I can't have him on the absolute top until, if ever, he dramatically improves that outside shot of his as well as his free throws. Those are two categories that should be a must for a point guard.

yo.

#32 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:41 PM

To me as good as Rondo's overall & almost complete game is, I can't have him on the absolute top until, if ever, he dramatically improves that outside shot of his as well as his free throws. Those are two categories that should be a must for a point guard.

I think his elite defense, effort, and playmaking ability balances it all out though.

He's not the best offensive point guard, but I think he does every thing else at a high level.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:43 PM

When TPs game is on, he's a SOB. Everyone saw how much his outside shot has improved.

It has, but sadly for the Spurs and anyone rooting against the Heat, it mostly abandoned him in this series, especially the second half of it.

yo.

#34 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,294 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 21, 2013 - 01:04 PM

I never had him at #1. I'd take CP3, Rondo, Rose, and Westbrook over Parker. Next year will probably cement having Lillard and Curry surpassing him as well.

#35 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,395 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 21, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Rondo has improved in his jumper tho.

This Year

1. Chris Paul

2. Russell Westbrook

3. Tony Parker

4.Stephen Curry

5. Deron Williams

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#36 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 21, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Rondo's defense gets overlooked, it isn't lock down, but a very consistent wearing you down and annoying style on the opposing player.

I had thought about Lillard, lot of potential, and if I remember correctly said he was going to train with Gary Payton in off season. As a rookie he had some terrible defense on average guards, so any help there is huge.

I can understand people liking Williams, but still don't get how Curry how when he isn't handling the ball or shooting a high percentage, isn't a factor in games. Against SA, when the Spurs limited his driving and after his shots went cold, Curry would literally just stay around the corner three spot waiting for a shot. Didn't have any impact in some games. I get when he gets rhythm the guy is lethal, but still doesn't brink much of anything else to the table, certainly not defense, average ball handler, and his transition is good but still not top 5.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I can understand people liking Williams, but still don't get how Curry how when he isn't handling the ball or shooting a high percentage, isn't a factor in games. Against SA, when the Spurs limited his driving and after his shots went cold, Curry would literally just stay around the corner three spot waiting for a shot. Didn't have any impact in some games. I get when he gets rhythm the guy is lethal, but still doesn't brink much of anything else to the table, certainly not defense, average ball handler, and his transition is good but still not top 5.

Completely agree. I think San Antonio really exposed some of the glaring weaknesses in his game big time. Hopefully if he's hungry & passionate enough (and I personally believe & hope he is), he works harder this offseason to improve in some of those areas and comes back even stronger. He's definitely still young enough and has a lot of time.

yo.

#38 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,875 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 21, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Tony Parker was hurt since game 2 a lot of people forget this. Lebron got a bunch of credit for locking down Tony, but the truth is if you watched him his explosiveness and quickness just didnt seem the same and well that is what a sore hamstring will do to you. Probably was the best pg in the league this year and even though came up small in this series I still think you can make a case for him being number one. You can just see how much more stagnate spurs offense was when he was on the bench and when they werent running pick and roll with him. He was hurt and didnt seem the same player we saw all season long. Pretty sure if he didnt get hurt he woulda avg a solid 22 and 7 in the finals. Not trying to make an excuse for him, but his game relies on him being quick and moving past guys and he just didnt seem the same this series after he got hurt. In game one you saw him zooming past dudes and doing what he was best at, but the games after he got hurt he looked a step slow, or at least slow in the terms of tony parker.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 21, 2013 - 02:16 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#39 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,585 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 21, 2013 - 03:54 PM

I can only consider a player an elite point guard if he can take control of a game without scoring the ball.

As of today there are no 2 players who do it better than Rajon Rondo and Chris Paul.

Russell Westbrook is an elite player. Not an elite point guard.

Tony Parker is better offensively than Rondo, but Rondo blows him out of the water when it comes to playmaking ability and defense.

1) Chris Paul
2) Rajon Rondo
3) Tony Parker
4) Russell Westbrook
5) Kyrie Irving
6) Steph Curry
7) Deron Williams
8) Damian Lillard
9) Ty Lawson
10) John Wall
iyjywo.jpg

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,063 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:43 PM

ell, TP doesn't hav to play make bc of the system and duncan and ginobli are playmakers themselves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users