Photo

T-Mac Says He Considered Using PEDs (Pg. 7); Says He Could've Won Ring In TOR. (P6); Thinks He's A Hall Of Famer (P4); Retirement On 1st Take (P3)

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 28, 2013 - 09:19 AM

That was my favorite era in nba. Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Andre Miller, Steve Francis, Jason Kidd, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting...
All in their primes, taking over games on any given night.

Loved watching the nba back then

All those name you mentioned and only one guy still play at a very high level.   Kobe Bryant.  hmm.

Tim Duncan is pretty close too but not as consistant as Kobe though.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#62 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 28, 2013 - 09:40 AM

All those name you mentioned and only one guy still play at a very high level.   Kobe Bryant.  hmm.

Tim Duncan is pretty close too but not as consistant as Kobe though.

Nostalgia aside, the post-Jordan era and the tag of 'next Jordan' was very lackluster when you look at it objectively and not biased. Only a handful ever amounted to much, and even less are true Hall of Famers.

Never thought of prime T-Mac vs Durant, don't know about being better, but definitely McGrady was more entertaining to watch.

#63 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 28, 2013 - 01:28 PM

T-mac is one of the long lines of potential hall of fame players that had a change of course due to injuries. That again should be noted that Kobe been playing through injuries most of his career and still managed to play at a high level. It is all in the prep and mentality of a player to over com injuries or play with injuries.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#64 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 29, 2013 - 12:17 AM

Too much was expected of Tracy, much of it under quite undue circumstance.

He was a great image to sell. He's a good guy, most people like him. It's a shame the Spurs couldn't take the title.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#65 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,092 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Tracy ewas fine until injury. Never had a great team while healthy.

Kobe didn't get out of the first round for a stretch there, adn that was post-Shaq, pre-Gasol.

that happens in the west. 

its not like the East where a star can carry you to the Finals. LeBron,iverson, Kidd(Twice), etc

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Tracy McGrady Says He’s A Hall Of Famer

“I think my numbers match up with some of the guys that are in the Hall of Fame,” McGrady said. “Whether or not I get in or not, it really doesn’t matter to me. I’m a guy from Auburndale, Florida (with) a population of 10,000 people, grew up in a pretty bad neighborhood, so to me, I’m Hall of Fame just by making it through my career. That’s Hall of Fame to me.”

Tracy-McGrady.jpg

Read more at http://blacksportson...5r8caS9sriaY.99

Do you agree?

yo.

#67 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:39 PM

I am fairly certain for a career is barely at 20 ppg. I don't recall him being a great all around player, sure he could make the nice pass but that trait tends to get overblown by people, defensively I cannot remember how effective he was to be honest but I'd be surprised if people thought he was prolific defensively. Has no postseason success or defining moments, if anything he gained fame in later years as a punch line about not advancing to second round.

So no, his numbers are subpar at best looking at career totals, no noticeable accomplishments, and most importantly he wasnt a winner.

In no way shape or form is he a Hall of Famer.

Edited by Ven, August 29, 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#68 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:44 PM

He's in the Hall Of Decent, but the Hall Of Fame is for the best of the best, he's not even close.

#69 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,444 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:23 AM

That is similar to something we hear not so long ago LOL
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#70 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Now that I think about it, I know there are people who believe Pau Gasol is a HOFer (lol)...so if he's one then so is Tmac

Pau Gasol is GONE

#71 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I don't know what I am getting myself into by saying this but I will, career for career I'd rather have Gasol than T-Mac.

#72 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,086 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Had Tmac never gotten hurt and Pau never gotten bailed out of Memphis no way you would say this.  Tmac and Kobe were almost dead even up til like 2004-05 or so.  Then 81 pts happened.

I don't know what I am getting myself into by saying this but I will, career for career I'd rather have Gasol than T-Mac.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#73 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Memphis Gasol is inferior to Tmac
Los Angeles Gasol is inferior to Tmac
Olympics Gasol is inferior to Tmac

Pau Gasol is GONE

#74 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Memphis Gasol is inferior to Tmac
Los Angeles Gasol is inferior to Tmac
Olympics Gasol is inferior to Tmac

Gasol is an international legend. One of the greatest Euro's to ever play in the NBA. He's consistently one of the best players in the Olympics/Int'l game. Give him the credit he deserves. 

Posted Image

#75 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Had Tmac never gotten hurt and Pau never gotten bailed out of Memphis no way you would say this.  Tmac and Kobe were almost dead even up til like 2004-05 or so.  Then 81 pts happened.

Which is why me mentioning "career for career" is key, injuries are part of any sport and players lasting legacy. The fact that he couldn't stay healthy for the better stretch of his later years is too important to neglect. Plus to say Gasol was bailed out of Memphis is a stretch, both players led their teams to the playoffs and accomplished little to nothing.

#76 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Gasol is an international legend. One of the greatest Euro's to ever play in the NBA. He's consistently one of the best players in the Olympics/Int'l game. Give him the credit he deserves.

He's been an average to slighty above average player here in the NBA. He wasn't a champion before Kobe and PJ, only been an all star four times, no all nba 1st teams, no all defense teams (of course).

Tracy McGrady on the other hand has 7 All Star selections, 2x Scoring Champion, 2x All NBA 1st Team

Pau Gasol is GONE

#77 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,086 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Pau was considered an above average to good player before coming to LA and no team ever considered building around Pau as their best player.  His career took off solely because he was a Laker and played with prime Kobe.  Tmac was never that fortunate.  Overall Tmac will always be remembered as an elite player whose career took a turn due to injury, Gasol on the other hand very little people remember his career pre Lakers.

Which is why me mentioning "career for career" is key, injuries are part of any sport and players lasting legacy. The fact that he couldn't stay healthy for the better stretch of his later years is too important to neglect. Plus to say Gasol was bailed out of Memphis is a stretch, both players led their teams to the playoffs and accomplished little to nothing.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#78 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,086 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Pau gets plenty of credit but you can't use his international play to justify him being a greater player than Tmac.  What if Tmac had started overseas at 18-19?  He was an elite player by like 21 years of age.  Pau has never been an elite NBA player.

#79 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Windu you're letting your personal dislike of Gasol get in the way yet again.

Pau's numbers are Hall Of Fame numbers, like it or not.

#80 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:31 AM

That has nothing to do with it. I compared their numbers and accomplishments side by side and its obvious that Tracy McGrady is the superior player. Pau Gasol's "big" accomplishments are in Euro ball. Gift McGrady with Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant and he'd have a pair of championships too.

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users