61 replies to this topic

#41 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,112 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:08 AM

I wish a fan would go to a game next season and hold up a sign that says "Lamn Duck Coach Mike D Antoni!"  

I wondered if its going to be shown on tv

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#42 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,788 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Lazenby going off on twitter.
Impossible is nothing.

#43 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Agreed that the Kings did use the princeston and was successful however the difference is Rick Adelman is a very good coach.

Never compared the two coaches, just replying to the statement you made about the "college offense."  It's also an NBA offense.  Of course, it depends on who coaches it...the same way any offensive or defensive systems go.

Additionally, Mike Brown wasn't the one coaching the offense.  That was Eddie Jordan.  I doubt Brown bothered with anything regarding the offense, just as he avoided it in Cleveland, when John Kuester was writing up plays.

#44 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:33 AM

THIS is interesting, but now, the team has to fold.

Will D'Antoni get fired if we start 28-12, for example?

NO.

So, since D'Antoni is here, I don't see anyway, he's going to leave without the team failing.

I for one don't want to see my team fail, even at the cost of getting a two year rental on Phi Jackson.

#45 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Real Deal, you're manipulating some information.

The "style" of play didn't injure Kobe, or Dwight, or Pau or Hill, or Nash.

The "style" of play , which he played until about mid-January, was not successful and the Memphis meeting, the style changed, mstly due to Kobe.

We all agree upon that.

kobe's ego and his dedication to fulfill a promise was just as much the reason he got injured as D'Antoni.

If Kobe WANTED to, there were 2 occasions to pull himself out the game, the night he was injured.

He basically twisted his knee once, and it buckled another time.

Nash was hurt in the second game, and he never really recovered fully, according to him.

The FIRSt game Pau played a D'Antoni game he was benched for basically slow feet defensively. He was already banged up from his Olympics  and everything else.

Dwight had a bad back and tore his labrum.

D'Antoni is not a great leader and his style didn't work, but blaming all our injuries on him is unfair and there are ways for us to criticize him without false or hyperbolic statements.

#46 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Real Deal, you're manipulating some information.

The "style" of play didn't injure Kobe, or Dwight, or Pau or Hill, or Nash.

The "style" of play , which he played until about mid-January, was not successful and the Memphis meeting, the style changed, mstly due to Kobe.

We all agree upon that.

kobe's ego and his dedication to fulfill a promise was just as much the reason he got injured as D'Antoni.

If Kobe WANTED to, there were 2 occasions to pull himself out the game, the night he was injured.

He basically twisted his knee once, and it buckled another time.

Nash was hurt in the second game, and he never really recovered fully, according to him.

The FIRSt game Pau played a D'Antoni game he was benched for basically slow feet defensively. He was already banged up from his Olympics  and everything else.

Dwight had a bad back and tore his labrum.

D'Antoni is not a great leader and his style didn't work, but blaming all our injuries on him is unfair and there are ways for us to criticize him without false or hyperbolic statements.

Thats the coach's job.

.....so why is MDA here?

#47 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Any superstar player would play 45+ minutes if it meant they could save the season.  Coaches get paid millions to do three things:

1) Draw up plays and install offensive and defensive systems.

2) Manage minutes.

3) Manage egos.

Kobe's injury all stemmed from him HAVING to play 45+ minutes in a stretch of games that were must wins...and that was due to our team being coached poorly, given an offense that did not suit our team's age OR individual players' style of play (not just Kobe, but everyone not named Steve Nash).

In fact, at one point, even Nash wasn't fit to run and gun.

You can blame Kobe Bryant all you want, but the man has played 17 seasons, big minutes, and massive roles without suffering a major injury.

#48 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,112 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Never compared the two coaches, just replying to the statement you made about the "college offense."  It's also an NBA offense.  Of course, it depends on who coaches it...the same way any offensive or defensive systems go.

Additionally, Mike Brown wasn't the one coaching the offense.  That was Eddie Jordan.  I doubt Brown bothered with anything regarding the offense, just as he avoided it in Cleveland, when John Kuester was writing up plays.

No its not an NBA offense. That offense comes from college. It just happens some coaches in the NBA use that offense in the NBA. Like if coach K end up using Phil's Triangle on his team, people can't say its a college offense because it is from Text Winter and last correct if I'm wrong but he never use that in college.  And yes I know its from Eddie Jordan but then again, compared Eddie Jordan to Rick. Not even close eaither. Eddie was never proven to be a great or even a good coach. He is a good college coach at best but we have to wait and see if he pans out at Rudgers.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#49 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,112 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Coaches get paid millions to do three things:

1) Draw up plays and install offensive and defensive systems.

2) Manage minutes.

3) Manage egos.

1. Draw plays and install offense and defense.    

Lets see.  MDA and defense shouldn't even be in the same sentence. So he didn't do that for sure.  All he did was draw plays on offense. Lets check out the offense shall we? He let Pau Gasol who plays in the post all his career to stand out around 20 footer to make jump shots. Then he asked Nash to go out of his comfort zone and start being a Ray Allen and just stand on the 3 point lane to shoot threes and if need be, be like Jordan and create his own shot.  Then when Dwight asked him about what needs to be done on offense so Dwight can be comfortable, MDA said "shutup, your job is only to play defense and get put backs on offense."

2. Manage minutes

Lets see. Let Kobe play 48 to 50 minutes a game.  Bench Pau Gasol for no reason. Have nash play more than 35 minutes even with injuries.  Ingoring the bench and only let two or three guys play off the bench. Manage minutes is probably not his strong sute

3. Manage egos.  

Hmm lets see.  MDA afraid to confront Kobe. MDA alienated Howard.  Pau wants to stab MDA in the face.  Steve Nash doesn't want to be linked with MDA.  Little scuffle between Kobe and Dwight so Kobe end up being the one who confront Dwight himself since the coach afraid to step in and help. 

So apparently he is stealing money from the Lakers.  Not only is he suck at coaching, he is a criminal and needs to be jailed.

Edited by epicwolf, June 20, 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#50 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 01:01 PM

No its not an NBA offense. That offense comes from college. It just happens some coaches in the NBA use that offense in the NBA. Like if coach K end up using Phil's Triangle on his team, people can't say its a college offense because it is from Text Winter and last correct if I'm wrong but he never use that in college.  And yes I know its from Eddie Jordan but then again, compared Eddie Jordan to Rick. Not even close eaither. Eddie was never proven to be a great or even a good coach. He is a good college coach at best but we have to wait and see if he pans out at Rudgers.

The Princeton originated out of college (Cappon and Carril, at Princeton...Pete Carril is the guy that taught it to Adelman), but it's rarely used by college teams today.  The Kings, Hornets, Wizards, Cavaliers, Nets, and Rockets have all used the Princeton offense over the last decade or so.

The triangle offense actually came from Sam Barry, when he was coaching USC.  Tex Winter actually played for him, then took the triangle (known as the triple post back then) to Kansas State, where he coached it after refining it a bit.

So...basically, you have two offenses that originated out of college basketball, but are NBA offenses as well.  How many NBA teams have ran the triangle offense over the last 30 years?  Less than those who have ran the Princeton, actually.

#51 BLK MAMBA 81

BLK MAMBA 81

Rookie

• 285 posts
  • Name:Jackal Phrenic 210SA
  • Fan Since:96 - Forever
  • Fav. Laker:MR. 81

Posted June 20, 2013 - 04:19 PM

This is great news. Baby steps Zen master, then again you are wise!

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:31 PM

I dont think it was the triangke, I think Phil has the right energy around him. Some coaches don't.

#53 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,623 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:05 PM

I dont think it was the triangke, I think Phil has the right energy around him. Some coaches don't.

I think it was that he knew how to coach it and how to maximize all his players in it.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#54 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:02 AM

Phil brings provenance to the job, a respect level that D'Antoni is far, far from.  If Phil tells Kobe to sit he listens, if D'Antoni tells Kobe to sit, he doesn't.  There's no respect level there when most of your players have accomplished far more than the coach has even come close to.

Some (little) of that is Kobe's doing, but a vast, vast majority of it is D'Antoni having no business coaching a roster of this level of experience.

#55 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 21, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Lazenby going off on twitter.

Thanks for the heads up.

Roland seems to think this is all a bunch of bull to help ensure season ticket holders re-up this summer.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#56 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,112 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Roland seems to think this is all a bunch of bull to help ensure season ticket holders re-up this summer.

I agree with Roland.

#57 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

When have the Lakers had trouble selling seats?

NEVER

EVER

EVER

in the modern history.

I hate almost everything the guy has to tweet. its obvious who is bias is for. I can't take him whatsoever

#58 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,623 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

People always want to "create" negative when they don't want to accept something positive.    

So he creates a lie that the Lakers(who have never had an issue with attendance even when they were having terrible seasons)  are doing this to make ticket holders re-up.

He creates a lie cause he'd rather bash the Lakers than give them credit but since they've done something good he creates a fabricated lie to try to keep the negativity going.

I don't take anything he says with merit.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#59 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Phil brings provenance to the job, a respect level that D'Antoni is far, far from.  If Phil tells Kobe to sit he listens, if D'Antoni tells Kobe to sit, he doesn't.  There's no respect level there when most of your players have accomplished far more than the coach has even come close to.

Some (little) of that is Kobe's doing, but a vast, vast majority of it is D'Antoni having no business coaching a roster of this level of experience.

So by this argument, there was NO available. Please don't say Shaw. Please don't say Shaw.

I mean Mike Brown was more qualified , he won under Popovich and was a VERY GOOD young coach , by record and his teams got better with years.

did more than Phil did the year before, with a roster that had less talent.

He didn't have the SWAg.

Its what Doc has.

thibs to some degree.

Monty Williams kinda had it.

Spo is getting it.

D'Antoni, I dont see it in him, but no one looked less confident than Spo that FIRSt season with LeBron.

He grew, with time and the confidence of Riley

#60 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,168 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:52 AM

So by this argument, there was NO available. Please don't say Shaw. Please don't say Shaw.

I mean Mike Brown was more qualified , he won under Popovich and was a VERY GOOD young coach , by record and his teams got better with years.

did more than Phil did the year before, with a roster that had less talent.

He didn't have the SWAg.

Its what Doc has.

thibs to some degree.

Monty Williams kinda had it.

Spo is getting it.

D'Antoni, I dont see it in him, but no one looked less confident than Spo that FIRSt season with LeBron.

He grew, with time and the confidence of Riley

Spo still sucks idk what the hell you are talking about. lol I wouldn't be surprised if he is fired within two seasons

ap1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users