61 replies to this topic

#1 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Check out Mark Medina's twitter. Lots of juicy stuff coming out right now.

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil Jackson and Mitch Kupchak have been talking about the Lakers recently. He's not coaching again but has become a "consultant" of sorts.

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil told me "We discussed some things, me and Mitch in the past couple of weeks, bouncing things around."

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil: "They asked if I can be of assistance. I said, ‘Yeah, I'll help in whatever area you need to have help.”

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,597 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:12 PM

yeah, they met about Brian Shaw about a week ago.  Why.. I don't know... I'd LOVE for Shaw to be one of the assistants here.

Especially as Gentry seems to be closing in on the Grizzlies job.

yes Im serious...

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:14 PM

@MarkG_Medina 

Phil Jackson & Mitch Kupchak revealed they've had informal conversations on unspecified issues with Lakers.

@MarkG_Medina 

Jeanie Buss: "My message to Lakers fans is Phil is a part of the organization because of me." As she said that, Phil grinned.

@MarkG_Medina 

Jeanie downplayed whether Lakers would hire Phil to have an official role within team: "We're in good hands with our front office."

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Gunsmith Cats

• 8,450 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Jeanie!

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, June 19, 2013 - 07:20 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Makes you wonder how much of this "RIFT AND ANGER AND COLDNESS" in the organization is really as existent as the media makes it seem or if a lot of it is overplayed.

I know for one thing, if Phil meets with Mitch and is allowed into meetings with them they obviously don't hate him as much as is lead on or maybe they are letting things go for Jeanie's sake.

Picking D'antoni over him was STILL a mistake.

But it's nice to know he does "have an active role in the organization whether he is on the payroll or not."(Phil's words, not mine) ;)

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Never believe the media.

If Phil and Jim aren't best friends, they make it an issue.

When is the last time the media has been right about our Lakers?

#7 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,090 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM

yeah, they met about Brian Shaw about a week ago.  Why.. I don't know... I'd LOVE for Shaw to be one of the assistants here.

yes Im serious...

Naturally Jackson wanted Brian Shaw to take over for him after he left the Lakers in 2011 but the team went with Mike Brown, and then, after a brief flirtation with Jackson, chose Mike D'Antoni.

"I sat with [Lakers General Manager] Mitch Kupchak a week ago and even he couldn't find out for me," said Jackson of Shaw.  "It had something to do with [Lakers owner/executive] Jimmy Buss, I think."

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:03 PM

yes Im serious...

>Naturally Jackson wanted Brian Shaw to take over for him after he left the Lakers in 2011 but the team went with Mike Brown, and then, after a brief flirtation with Jackson, chose Mike D'Antoni.

"I sat with [Lakers General Manager] Mitch Kupchak a week ago and even he couldn't find out for me," said Jackson of Shaw.  "It had something to do with [Lakers owner/executive] Jimmy Buss, I think."

my way of thinking was if we combine that with Mitch who explained that they were watching for "certain people" that could get head coaching positions to come be an assistant for the Lakers, and the fact that Gentry's name hasn't even come up until recently as Grizzlies coach, and the fact that no one is hiring Nate Mc.    The only name I could think of was Brian Shaw.   And the fact that him and Phil had met about Brian... I'm thinking they ware watching for him.

If ti was all for "D'antoni guys" then McM and Gentry would be here by now imo so it made me wonder who he was waiting on...

My heart says Brian Shaw.   I just hope it's right.

#9 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,110 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:07 PM

How dare they do things behind Jim Buss's back!!! 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#10 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,090 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:17 PM

my way of thinking was if we combine that with Mitch who explained that they were watching for "certain people" that could get head coaching positions to come be an assistant for the Lakers, and the fact that Gentry's name hasn't even come up until recently as Grizzlies coach, and the fact that no one is hiring Nate Mc.    The only name I could think of was Brian Shaw.   And the fact that him and Phil had met about Brian... I'm thinking they ware watching for him.

If ti was all for "D'antoni guys" then McM and Gentry would be here by now imo so it made me wonder who he was waiting on...

My heart says Brian Shaw.   I just hope it's right.

Hmmm.......... :hmm:

Maybe they are going to bring in Shaw to try to put in elements of the triangle to complement Dwight, but they are also going to give MDA the "Mike Brown treatment." In other words, MDA is going to get his full training camp, but if the Lakers do not show improvement or are not winning, MDA is fired and Shaw immediately steps in. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,110 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Maybe they are going to bring in Shaw to try to put in elements of the triangle to complement Dwight, but they are also going to give MDA the "Mike Brown treatment." In other words, MDA is going to get his full training camp, but if the Lakers do not show improvement or are not winning, MDA is fired and Shaw immediately steps in. 

That is the scary part. Give MDA the full training camp.  I hope this is a conversation about bringing Shaw in and fire MDA in a couple of weeks or so before July 1st. So that Dwight will sign back with the lakers and things will be back to normal.  Unfortnately, it wont happen.

Edited by epicwolf, June 19, 2013 - 08:25 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:25 PM

pretty much my way of thinking.

Cause at the time Mitch said it, no one was offering Gentry any positions, and no one was talking to Nate Mc for the past few weeks.

And at the time Hollins nor George Karl was let go of.

So my thinking was "If it was Gentry or Nate, they'd be on the assistants staff by now."

So the only guy I could think of would be Shaw, a guy that was gonna go and try to get some head coaching jobs, he was the only guy I'd figure that Mitch would be "waiting" on.   Then Phil and Mitch talk about Shaw... it doesn't seem a coincidence.

Especially if Phil is serious about not being able to coach but is still interested in being a presence and sits in with Jeanie and has meetings with Mitch about ways to improve the team it can't all be a coincidence.

And Mitch always puts his answers in his interviews.  When it came to Sessions he said "It would be nice to get a 25 year old ball handling point guard"  and that turned out to match Sessions who we got.

So now when Mitch says that he's "waiting" on a certain person that could head coach in this league but hopeful they could offer an assistants job in case it doesn't happen.  And Phil brings up later that he had met with Mitch discussing Shaw after weeks and weeks of Phil talking about what he'd do to maximize Dwight Howard but that he no longer wanted to coach because physically he's healthy but he doesn't want to go through the process of traveling etc.   Shaw is the perfect guy to implement such things and Phil would be there every day helping him with it.

The puzzle pieces are fitting way TOO perfectly if you ask me :) I just hope with every fiber of my being that I'm right on this one :sorry:

#13 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,519 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Probably by far some of the best news I've heard all offseason.

Hopefully the tides turn from this point on.  GO JEANIE!!!

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:36 PM

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil Jackson and Mitch Kupchak have been talking about the Lakers recently. He's not coaching again but has become a "consultant" of sorts.

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil told me "We discussed some things, me and Mitch in the past couple of weeks, bouncing things around."

RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil: "They asked if I can be of assistance. I said, ‘Yeah, I'll help in whatever area you need to have help.”

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:41 PM

>RT @ArashMarkazi: Phil told me "We discussed some things, me and Mitch in the past couple of weeks, bouncing things around."

Yep.... Shaw will be an assistant here next year if he doesn't get the Clippers job and that goes to Doc.   At least I'm hoping so.    Gentry is getting a job offer from the Grizzlies and I haven't heard anything about Nate lately.... so If they were gonna be hired I'd assume they would have been by now.

Please let it be Shaw!!!!

#16 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Edited the title to something more significant.

This is positive news.   

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:50 PM

"I'm not sure why somebody like Phil isn't working for an NBA club right now," Kupchak said. "He has so much to offer to any franchise. Even though he doesn't have an official role with us, he's a consultant of sorts. Jeanie, I'm sure talks to him every night about basketball. It may not be official, but there is an existing relationship."

http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Phil Jackson, Jeanie Buss reveal how he's had an unofficial role with the Lakers

Their presence loomed large with any gesture Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss made.

Photographers continuously clicked their cameras as they stood on the blue carpet Wednesday at a Time Warner Cable sponsored event at the Vibiana in downtown Los Angeles that honored the late Lakers owner Jerry Buss.

Moments later, Jackson and Jeanie sat on a couch conversing with a handful of writers for more than 20 minutes. And in her first comments since her father’s passing at age 80 four months ago from an unspecified form of cancer, Jeanie Buss provided several revealing tidbits on the state of the Lakers’ franchise.

That started with the former coach and fiancée that guided the Lakers to five NBA championships.

“My message to Lakers fans is Phil is a part of the organization because of me,” said Buss, who’s the Lakers’ executive vice president of business operations and serves as the team’s governor. “He's part of my life and part of my family. He's always in Laker world, no matter if he has an official position or not.”

“I think we’re in good hands with our front office,” said Buss, referring to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and her brother, Jim, the team’s vice president of basketball operations. “Jim and Mitch know Phil is a phone call away. He’s always available. He would always do anything to help, support or listen. It’s like we’re all family.”

That has already happened with examples beyond Jackson speaking at Shaquille O’Neal’s jersey retirement at Staples Center two months ago.

Kupchak confirmed Jackson ‘s revelation that they talked “in the past couple of weeks” about unspecified issues concerning the Lakers.

“I’m not sure why somebody like Phil isn’t working for an NBA club right now,” Kupchak said. “He has so much to offer to any franchise. Even though he doesn’t have an official role with us, he’s a consultant of sorts.”

Jackson declined to specify those issues(he's consulted on), but there’s one thing clear.

Despite the insistent “We Want Phil” chants permeating Staples Center, the Lakers won’t bring back Jackson to coach. Kupchak has already publicly maintained Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni will return next season. The Lakers’ front office also believes a full training camp and a healthier roster will ensure D’Antoni fares better than a first-round exit to the San Antonio Spurs.

“There are upsides and downsides to coaching the Lakers. The expectations are very high,” Kupchak said. “He was eager to take the job and was looking forward to it, but as the season progressed there was one injury after another. He would admit it was a tougher season than he thought.”

It doesn’t help Jackson reiterated, “I have no intention of coaching.”

But intentions can change, no?

“I know. Don’t they? What could I use instead of intention? No plans to coach? How about that?” Jackson said.

:bounce:

Read More Here: http://www.insidesoc...ith-the-lakers/

Enjoy ;)

Most important tidbit I think is here

This is about the night Mitch etc and they didn't hire Phil and the relationship with Jeanie and Jim Buss because of it and Kupchak.

“I think he was upset that I woke him up,” Kupchak said. “Other than that, I don’ think there’s anything there. When you get old you go to sleep a little earlier. I go sleep a lot earlier than I did 20 years ago.”

Still, Jackson grinned when Jeanie was asked if that affected her relationship with Jim.

“I was not happy with how things happened,” Buss said. “It was a difficult process to go through. I was disappointed, but I’m biased. I don’t think anybody would judge me to say (Phil) is the best coach in the entire world. That’s my prerogative to feel that way.”

Have Jeanie and Jim resolved their differences?

“It’s something I can always tease him about,” Jeanie said, smiling. “That’s what families do. You always bring up things. Everyone always has family issues and maybe that was something I can tease him about. It’s fine.”

That's lovely to hear that the family gets along fine and teases each other about it AND that Phil is a consultant.

Things are looking a lot better now than once thought now that the whole story is surfacing.

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,597 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:59 PM

phil-jackson-lakers-pants.png

That was taken today.

With a subtle dig at the Spurs

Phil Jackson         @PhilJackson11

Free throws; how one gets on the court in pick-up bball. How important is that, right Manu/Kawhi? I just had to lift shot up/over the belly

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#20 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,229 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Lol oh god please tell me the first consult Phil had with Mitch went like this.. [Phil walks in to Mitch's office] 'Rofl, Mitch.. the [expletive] is pringles still doing here?'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users