Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,454 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Player Capsule: Jordan Hill

130618capsule_hill670.jpg

For all of L.A.’s injuries in 2012-13, no player was hit with the bug worse than Jordan Hill, whose stretch of solid play in the middle of the season was cut short due to a tear of the labrum in his left hip.

In a good sign for next season, Hill did manage to return three months earlier than the original recovery projection to appear in three of the team’s four playoff games, but his ailing hip wasn’t his only injury of the season.

Things got off on the proverbial wrong foot for Hill when he suffered a herniated disc in training camp. However, Hill overcame the disc issue to start the season on the active roster, and ended up appearing in 29 games to average 6.7 points on 49.7 percent shooting with 5.7 boards per night in just 15.8 minutes per game.

A tremendous rebounder, Hill averaged 13.0 boards per 36 minutes* – 6.4 offensive – plus 15.2 points and 1.5 blocks. Since his rookie year in 2009-10, he’s never played more than the 15.8 minutes he did last season; how he’d handle an increased work load has yet to be seen. Such is the energy level with which Hill plays that his per 36 numbers may be difficult to attain, but the potential for very strong production exists.
*Dwight Howard led the league with 12.4 boards per game, and averaged 12.5 per 36 minutes.

Read more here: http://www.nba.com/l...danhill_capsule

wow....

losing him hurt.. a LOT!

here's another interesting tidbit I found

If he(Jordan Hill) had played enough minutes to qualify, his ORB% would've been 3rd best in NBA history.

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,875 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Loved his spark off the bench really.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#3 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,328 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 19, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Lakers are not missing a lot of pieces when healthy and the coach coaches smartly

ap1.png

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Mike D'Antoni hates this dude for some reason

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm not that surprised to be honest. I've always known he's even better and more productive than what most people give him credit for.

Unfortunately, the issue is not just him getting injured, but even when healthy, he hardly ever sees enough minutes and it's even more difficult with a coach like D'Antoni, who has his own unfortunate history with him from New York and perhaps whether he admits it or not, there could still be somewhat of a grudge or bias there.

yo.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Mike D'Antoni hates this dude for some reason

Could have sworn after a few experimentations with different lineups D'antoni started going to him more than Jamison and people complained of Jamisons lack of playing time as well as him getting heavy minutes in our comeback effort against the Warriors on Nash's return? Or did I imagine that?

I remember a sort of conflict between the Jamison and Hill situation.

Eventually D'antoni picked Hill till his injury. And then when Hill went down with injury. Kind of funny when you think about it, Hill became D'antoni's decision over Jamison the stretch 4.

Shame he went down with injury :( if he hadn't though im not sure we'd have ever really used Jamison.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:01 PM

Eventually D'antoni picked Hill till his injury.

Still not nearly enough though. That's the point. He should've played a lot more or at least closer to Pau's minutes at times. He was almost always more productive & helpful out there on both ends (though especially defense) more over Pau for most of the season.

yo.

#8 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Cano check the RT 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Still not nearly enough though. That's the point. He should've played a lot more or at least closer to Pau's minutes at times. He was almost always more productive & helpful out there on both ends (though especially defense) more over Pau for most of the season.

Hill became the main sub for Pau off the bench. That should be enough for a guy that had never played over 15 mins a game till this season

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Not in my eyes. Not when you consider how productive he was in the little time he was in and on the contrary just how ineffective Pau was in the huge time he was in there. That alone demands him more playing time in my eyes. It's pretty simple (if you wanna' help your team more that is).

yo.

#11 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Definitely one of the best rebounders on our team and one of my favorite players too. I hope he can stay healthy next season. 

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Not in my eyes. Not when you consider how productive he was in the little time he was in and on the contrary just how ineffective Pau was in the huge time he was in there. That alone demands him more playing time in my eyes. It's pretty simple (if you wanna' help your team more that is).

I would agree I'd like to see Hill get more minutes next year.   He really was one of the best ORB in the league and I wish he'd have played long enough to get that top 3 statistic on offensive rebounding as he was one of the very best in the league and coming off our bench.

Losing him hurt us a LOT especially on the 50/50 balls.

He also shot 50% from 10-15 feet on a year he was working on his jump shot and 65% at the basket, apparently his worst spot was on put backs from 3-9.   So he needs to work on that. 

But if the guy was a 15/13 per 36, I think had he remained healthy sooner rather than later Pau would have been our 5 off the bench.

I remember D'antoni said he was planning to use Hill in that role as he was going to be a big part of what we did, but when he went down with injury and that spot went to Ron which was actually his most effective spot.

I would have LOVED to have seen Hill in Ron's place at the 4 which was apparently going to be his role before injury with Gasol coming off the bench at 5 and as it worked very well with Metta there, I'd imagine it would work even better with Hill there fighting for rebounds off of Clark's shots. 

Considering our starting lineup would have been

Nash
Kobe
Clark
Hill
Howard

and our bench was to be

Blake
Meeks
Metta
Jamison
Gasol

I think we'd have done some damage. 

Unfortunately NO ONE stayed healthy so we weren't able to run it..not even once :(

Eventually Gasol worked his way back to start to close the season(which was forced and his re-acclimation lead to losses to the Wizards and the Warriors while he was missing point blank shots while getting the rust off)  and played well with Dwight afterwards so we'll probably never see that lineup sadly.

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#13 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Clark, Hill, Howard

That is one athletic front court

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Clark, Hill, Howard

That is one athletic front court

I'd have LOVED to see it. 

And then you would have Metta, Jamison and Gasol

off the bench.  Which isn't athletic, but you have diminished minutes for Gasol and Metta who can handle against other bench counterparts eventhough the defense wouldn't be as strong as the front court.

But even so, Blake knows how to find Gasol in key points as well as Jamison so we'd have gotten a lot of easy shots.    See that's a rotation I'd have loved to see!!

But cause no one was healthy D'antoni couldn't run it and he said in an interview he was afraid of "losing" Jamison because he was giving minutes to Hill till everyone came back healthy.  He said he knew Hill understood but was worried about Jamison.

Shame Hill went down... really threw a monkey wrench in that plan :smh:

Edited by Majesty, June 19, 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#15 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,679 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Could have sworn after a few experimentations with different lineups D'antoni started going to him more than Jamison and people complained of Jamisons lack of playing time as well as him getting heavy minutes in our comeback effort against the Warriors on Nash's return? Or did I imagine that?

I remember a sort of conflict between the Jamison and Hill situation.

Eventually D'antoni picked Hill till his injury. And then when Hill went down with injury. Kind of funny when you think about it, Hill became D'antoni's decision over Jamison the stretch 4.

Shame he went down with injury :( if he hadn't though im not sure we'd have ever really used Jamison.

Nope.

Jamison would have been riding along like Rashard Lewis is now, but he'd probably not like getting little-no playing time.

MMiRi9s.png

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Nope.

Jamison would have been riding along like Rashard Lewis is now, but he'd probably not like getting little-no playing time.

Pretty much.

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,065 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Has one person mentioned floor spacing?

The reason why you can't depend on J Hill as a 4, is because he doesn't space the floor at all.

he's our Birdman. Our energy Big off the bench, I told my family we wouldn't win a title when he went down b/c when you get deep in the playoffs, certain role players win you games. Jordan was that guy for us.

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 20, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Has one person mentioned floor spacing?

The reason why you can't depend on J Hill as a 4, is because he doesn't space the floor at all.

he's our Birdman. Our energy Big off the bench, I told my family we wouldn't win a title when he went down b/c when you get deep in the playoffs, certain role players win you games. Jordan was that guy for us.

Interesting point. Jordan Hill is a good guy to have in a system like the triangle where you shoot a lot of high-percentage shots (from the post, closer to the rim and easier to get offensive rebounds). Unfortunately, we have MDA and we will not take full advantage of an asset like Jordan Hill.

#19 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,811 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hill is expendable.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,065 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Interesting point. Jordan Hill is a good guy to have in a system like the triangle where you shoot a lot of high-percentage shots (from the post, closer to the rim and easier to get offensive rebounds). Unfortunately, we have MDA and we will not take full advantage of an asset like Jordan Hill.

You don't "take advantage" of a player like Hill. He just gets garbage points.

he isn't a scorer, he in't a post passer. he is a Ronny Turiaf 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users